Menu

Starving for Fiction

I have been reading WAY too much non-fiction, and my head feels fuzzy and tired. I desperately need someone to just point me toward something new and fictional.

I don't mind dark fantasy, but I despise grind-you-down-for-your-own-edification books a la Oprah. She can be ground down all she likes...she's rich, and gritty is not her post-book reality. I prefer rays of hope. I read a lot of YA fiction when I can get it. Loved The Graveyard Book and Chains.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Fun Home by Alison Bechdel was depressing in spots but in the end I found it made a happy statement about family reconciliation and how being queer has changed in just one generation. It's not fiction, though, is it? Hm...

The Sweetness At The Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley was a wonderful and intelligent mystery featuring a spunky girl chemist in England in the fifties.

Fun Home by Alison Bechdel was depressing in spots but in the end I found it made a happy statement about family reconciliation and how being queer has changed in just one generation. It's not fiction, though, is it? Hm...

Er. Um. I don't think the statutory rape relationships between a high school teacher and his "special" students are exactly "uplifting" in any circumstances.

My mother loves Jan Karon,

I'm not too into adult fiction (and I don't mean "adult" as in... "adult", but rather adult as opposed to children's fiction). Sometimes I'll find an author I really like, but I tend more toward young adult fiction for some reason. Could be that I taught jr. high lit for a while and acquired a taste for it. Lately I've been reading Karen Cushman's stuff "Matilda Bones", etc. and have really enjoyed her. I also like Avi, and Cynthia Voigt.

Er. Um. I don't think the statutory rape relationships between a high school teacher and his "special" students are exactly "uplifting" in any circumstances.

No, but many uplifting novels have unhappy circumstances changed by means of a horrible conflict. It's the resolution that keeps the book from being miserable.

I don't mind dark fantasy

I'm not sure what falls under your definition of "dark fantasy", but if vampires make the cut, you might like the Southern Vampire series by Charlaine Harris ~ also known as the "Sookie Stackhouse series" or "those True Blood books" (the last isn't really an official moniker - they made a show loosely based on the novels) ... I'm reading through them at the moment and I like 'em so far. :)