Menu

Please explain something to me

My dh's job is about to end. He is desperately trying to find a new job. He has a masters degree. He was making in the 60K's. He went to UPS and applied for a part-time management position. He shadowed the job for 5 hours. Several days later he went to take a management "test", which he passed. He was the offered ...............

drum roll please....................

$13.75 an hour!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:confused::confused:

The workers he would be over make $10 an hour.

Why won't companies tell you the wage "up front"?

Why would a company go through all that trouble to offer someone $13.75 an hour?

If this normal?

I feel like my dh has just wasted so much time for nothing!

Edited by Tabrett

My dh's job is about to end. He is desperately trying to find a new job. He has a masters degree. He was making in the 60K's. He went to UPS and applied for a part-time management position. He shadowed the job for 5 hours. Several days later he went to take a management "test", which he passed. He was the offered ...............

drum roll please....................

$13.75 an hour!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:confused::confused:

The workers he would be over make $10 an hour.

Why won't companies tell you the wage "up front"?

Why would a company go through all that trouble to offer someone $13.75 an hour?

If this normal?

I feel like my dh has just wasted so much time for nothing!

Believe it or not, those types of managers aren't considered much above the common worker. Doesn't matter that your hubby has a degree or that he was paid bigger bucks by another company. The fact remains that he's now bottom of the totem again and this is where people start. It's also a company's market, not a worker's market right now. Honestly, he could get a job in a factory making close to that or more, depending upon his experience. I know many people with degrees that can barely get into Walmart. Their degrees are of no use at the moment. I figure, if you have a job, then you are fortunate indeed.

Believe it or not, those types of managers aren't considered much above the common worker. Doesn't matter that your hubby has a degree or that he was paid bigger bucks by another company. The fact remains that he's now bottom of the totem again and this is where people start. It's also a company's market, not a worker's market right now. Honestly, he could get a job in a factory making close to that or more, depending upon his experience. I know many people with degrees that can barely get into Walmart. Their degrees are of no use at the moment. I figure, if you have a job, then you are fortunate indeed.

Our biggest problem is:

We can't live on that!!!

Just our mortgage, utilities and food cost more than what my dh is being offered. We can't sell. We would lose money, if we could even get the house sold! We don't live high on the hog, but gesh......the only way a family could live with wages that low is if they had free housing.

What's the purpose of education and experience if they don't help you earn more money?

Our biggest problem is:

We can't live on that!!!

Just our mortgage, utilities and food cost more than what my dh is being offered. We can't sell. We would lose money, if we could even get the house sold! We don't live high on the hog, but gesh......the only way a family could live with wages that low is if they had free housing.

What's the purpose of education and experience if they don't help you earn more money?

We live quite well on those kind of wages.

We pay our utilities, rent and phone every phone and still have money left over.

I don't know where you live, but it is quite easy to live on those kinds of wages, you just have to cut back on some things.

Yes it does suck that your dh has a degree and is not getting the money you think he should. But some times you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. UPS always hires from within the company first, and the wages go up.

They do help you earn money...in the long run. However, in the short run your husband needs to learn how this particular business functions.

We experienced something similar when my hubby was thinking of getting out of the Army. He had 12+ years of global supply chain logistics experience but he was competing for jobs with people just out of college. He got offered a job by every single company he interviewed with. Some even flew him around to tour the company and such. They all liked him and were impressed with him. One even flew him to Boston to have a fake business day to include running fake meetings. One of the people who attends fake meetings all day said it was the best meeting he'd ever been to! But not one offered him even half of what he was making in the Army. So, we stayed Army. If you don't have corporate experience you will start at the bottom and have to work your way up. You will be able to climb farther and faster with an education but you still have to start at the bottom.

I do think it's a "supply and demand" thing. Right now there are probably an excess of qualified people for management type jobs, and they don't have to pay well.

As for why one should get an education if it doesn't lead to higher pay, I debate that with DH regularly, but I think on some level, you have to try to qualify yourself (through education, experience, etc) for jobs that are in high demand because, again, it's really an issue of economics. If your education qualifies you for something that makes you more in demand, you can usually get a higher salary.

I'm really really sorry. I hope he can find something he actually really likes doing that will pay well enough for you to live on.

I always though UPS paid pretty well - or maybe it's the benefits I've heard are good. I'm not sure where the source of that information (or misinformation) is.

We pay our utilities, rent and phone every phone and still have money left over.

I don't know where you live, but it is quite easy to live on those kinds of wages, you just have to cut back on some things.

Yes it does suck that your dh has a degree and is not getting the money you think he should. But some times you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. UPS always hires from within the company first, and the wages go up.

It really depends on where you live. 15 years ago, I was making about $28K as a single person and qualified for low income housing.

Lisa

As she said, though, her bills are already set at far more than that, and selling right now isn't an option. When your bills are set for $60K, it's hard to survive on less than half of that.

To the OP: If I were your husband, I would probably take the job and continue to look for something better. $28K is better than $0 or unemployment. Hang in there.

UPS makes everyone start by delivering packages iirc. I remember a couple of classmates went there after graduating from Penn and they had to wear the brown shorts and drive a truck for a while. As you move up the ladder, I'm sure your wage goes up. Could you ask how long to expect to earn that wage level?

OTOH, a job is definitely better than no job, especially if there are benefits. Could you cut back enough to survive for a year at that wage? If not, could you get a job on a different schedule to make ends meet?

I hope you can figure something out!

I'm so sorry :( :grouphug:

I guess you need to look at it from this point. Is it more than unemployment would give him? Does it include benefits? Can you live on it while he keeps looking? I'm afraid we would be in the exact same position (minus the job offer) if my husband lost his job. Salary wise, schooling and everything. Unemployment in our state maxes out at 2000 a month. Half of what we live on and no benefits. We would not be able to make our house payment and utilities on that. However, if it comes down to it, that is what we will be doing. I guess, you need to weigh, job/benefits, with unemployment/no benefits until he can find something better.

Sometimes I wonder if we should have bought our house a year ago. The houses in our neighborhood are 50,000 cheaper then we bought and we bought at a low point (we thought) for our town. If we didn't have the house, I know we could make it on 2000, but now we have a house, that can't sell. What to do? I feel your pain!!

:iagree: Granted, we don't own a house, but we would be willing to take a loss if we had to in order to make it. It's a fact of life. There are MANY people living off that kind of wage right now. They have learned to make it work. Believe it or not, you can also. I can understand the hurt feelings and the let down of having your income cut in half. But I found your "unless they are living in free housing" comment to be either out of touch with reality or insulting.

:iagree: Granted, we don't own a house, but we would be willing to take a loss if we had to in order to make it. It's a fact of life. There are MANY people living off that kind of wage right now. They have learned to make it work. Believe it or not, you can also. I can understand the hurt feelings and the let down of having your income cut in half. But I found your "unless they are living in free housing" comment to be either out of touch with reality or insulting.

It's more than just "hurt feelings"; unless they have a ton of equity in their home, taking a loss means that they would still owe the remainder of the loan. How exactly would they pay it?

These kinds of comments are really hurtful. Maybe some positive suggestions to the OP of ways she could cut expenses would be helpful, but a 2/3 pay cut would be nearly impossible for *any* person to take, & if her house can't be sold, I'd venture to guess they actually *can't* make it on that income.

It's easy to become judgmental of people making so much more $ than we are, but if I look at our own income & imagine 2/3 cut, I have more compassion. Maybe OP *will* be able to find enough things to cut, but even that will be a shock to their lifestyle, which at 60K, isn't likely to be extravagant.

Welcome to the recession.

The REAL unemployment rate - if you count people who have given up looking or are part-time workers still looking for f/t work - in the US is in the high teens, maybe as high as 20%.

http://www.moneyandmarkets.com/the-greatest-wealth-shifts-of-all-time-35011

I've lived through a previous recession where someone with multiple degrees was delivering newspapers in the mornings to help put gas in the car while he kept looking for work. When it's tough, you do what you need to do.

Everyone who is working should as fast as possible squirrel away 6 mos of living expenses. If you lose your job, you immediately go on extreme money conservation. Cut cable, get rid of cell phone, sell a car, never NEVER eat out, don't buy new clothing, budget groceries & lean heavily to beans, rice & whatever fruits & veggies are on sale. This way there's a chance the savings will last for more than 6 mos and will provide an extra cushion if you're faced with taking a pay downgrade.

It's tough. I'm sorry.

wow, i don't know whether to say i am so sorry, or hurray. we had friends lose everything because he simply couldnt' find a job, any job. so having a job offer, any job offer, is amazing. the salary is tough.

i think you've had good advice so far, about taking the job and continuing to look. there ARE ways to ramp back the bills. maybe you've already done all of this, but getting rid of cable and papers and all but basic phone saves a lot. if you completely turn off the air conditioning, you'll save a bundle. if you turn down the thermostat in the winter, you'll save a fair bit. dropping out of kids activities and simply not driving saves a ton.

if you take in one boarder, that would probably make it all possible. this is particularly possible if you live in a college town.

our food budget has gone way up, and we're just ramping back. we're back to drinking water/tea/coffee and a bit of milk and juice and not a whole lot else. we've been cooking from scratch for a while, but when we started that we saved a lot. having breakfast for dinner one night a week saves money. making soup, only eating the 4 ounces of meat a day that the food pyramid says we should have, not having any snack foods (we do have an air popper, so we do eat popcorn). its a whole new way of living, except i remember living this way as a student with no kids.

it comes as an awful shock when the rules change; good luck....

ann

My dad had that same trouble when he got out of the Navy. However, he'd prepared the last couple of years in and taken a bunch of heavy mechanics courses (on the Navy's dime -- hey! they offered!) He was very good at it. He took a very low paying entry level job as soon as he was out and we lived on a very tight budget for about a year (not that being in gave us beaucoup de bucks either). Sticking it out paid off for him because the company saw his value right away, and when he went looking at a higher paying company they upped wages by a lot. Less than 2 years later and he was THE lead mechanic in the company.

To the OP: I also think your husband should take the position and keep looking elsewhere. Another poster mentioned it is easier to get a job when you have a job and that is SO true, especially in tight economic times. Employers look at the laid-offs and out-of-works as "damaged goods" because they've obviously been rejected elsewhere for whatever reason. It's not very fair, but it is unfortunately true. So, if your dh takes this and keeps looking, he's going to look like a better prospect and would have a better chance at something higher up the pay chain.

These kinds of comments are really hurtful. Maybe some positive suggestions to the OP of ways she could cut expenses would be helpful, but a 2/3 pay cut would be nearly impossible for *any* person to take, & if her house can't be sold, I'd venture to guess they actually *can't* make it on that income.

It's easy to become judgmental of people making so much more $ than we are, but if I look at our own income & imagine 2/3 cut, I have more compassion. Maybe OP *will* be able to find enough things to cut, but even that will be a shock to their lifestyle, which at 60K, isn't likely to be extravagant.

For me, it was more of her "free housing" comment. My apologies for being insensitive. Sounds like she may end up going through a type of culture shock.

My dh has been unemployed since April, and that is right in line with what he is finding with the high end maybe being around $13-$14/hr. Many of these jobs will not discuss pay until they make an offer. Many of these jobs require a 4 year degree. I guess it's more than unemployment, but I understand it not being enough to meet your monthly obligations. I don't have any answers, just know you're not alone.

Have you gone over your budget with a fine tooth comb? Is there anywhere to cut? We have pared down to the bare minimum, and I might be looking for work soon.

Janet

We live in a tourist town. It is very transit. People come here and find out very quickly that the jobs don't pay according to the cost of living in our area.

There has been a big push for affordable housing and that is the housing we have! You can't do much better than what we have as our mortgage. Rent for a 3 bedroom apt would cost the same! We would have to move to get more affordable housing and we would LOVE to do that, but we know our house won't sell. As soon as the market picks up a little. We will put it up for sale.

We wouldn't mind living on less if we had the ability to get to a place where that was possible without foreclosing.

:iagree:

We also live in an area where rentals are close to 1000 per month, for cheap ones. I look out at some areas in the US and think WOW I could live like a King if I lived in that area, their housing is so cheap. Not to say it can't be done, but especially as homeschooling one income families depending on where you live, sometimes you really can't compare apples to oranges.

Thank you (from someone whose family is currently living on under $20K per year since dh is not getting enough work, but far from well).

I tend to agree. I will also agree that your location is *everything*. A small town in Texas will have a completely different cost of living than living in Seattle, Chicago, California, etc.

Look at this list of average grocery prices for the Nashville area. Here in Hawaii you can basically double that. The *cheapest* milk you will find is around $5.50 a gallon and bread is around $3 a loaf. When my mom saw the price of butter in our local store ($6/lb) she offered to mail me some :lol:.

For me, it was more of her "free housing" comment. My apologies for being insensitive. Sounds like she may end up going through a type of culture shock.

I didn't see anything about free housing.

I did, however, spend hours and hours applying for a teaching job this summer. One place had an ap that was over 40pp long, tons of essays, a min of 9-12 references (I can't remember), & really grueling interviews, both for me & for my references.

ALL w/out a word about salary, benefits, anything. It can be quite frustrating, esp when the end result, at best, is a salary that won't make ends meet, & at worst means no offer at all, w/ a range of losses to face in between, from school choices, to home, to groceries, & sometimes a gut-wrenching sense of fear & shame.

I'm just sayin'.

I tend to agree. I will also agree that your location is *everything*. A small town in Texas will have a completely different cost of living than living in Seattle, Chicago, California, etc.

Look at this list of average grocery prices for the Nashville area. Here in Hawaii you can basically double that. The *cheapest* milk you will find is around $5.50 a gallon and bread is around $3 a loaf. When my mom saw the price of butter in our local store ($6/lb) she offered to mail me some :lol:.

And I think it's easy to forget that that education that OP mentioned is often still being paid off. That in itself can be a CHUNK.

Free Housing comment is bolded.

Our biggest problem is:

We can't live on that!!!

It's more than just "hurt feelings"; unless they have a ton of equity in their home, taking a loss means that they would still owe the remainder of the loan. How exactly would they pay it?

You don't. You declare bankruptcy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/13/AR2009081303399.html

Personal bankruptcy filings reached 1.25 million in the year ending June 30, up 34 percent from the year before, as Americans continued to grapple with debt, unemployment and devalued homes, according to figures released Thursday by the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts.

When you have a ton of people with degrees for a particular area and few jobs open for it, then that degree is *at that moment* next to worthless. The employers figure that if you want the job bad enough, you will take it for what they are offering. If you aren't willing to accept the offer, then tough, there's another fellow in line behind you. It's the same in blue collar work. It's frustrating, but you learn to #1 live with it and #2 get skilled in as many areas as possible. It's a one upping game. What are you bringing to the table that other ppl aren't. And with UPS, I've heard that they don't care who you are, where you come from, etc...they are one the companies where you start where everyone else starts.

I always though UPS paid pretty well - or maybe it's the benefits I've heard are good. I'm not sure where the source of that information (or misinformation) is.

I've been checking on this a bit--UPS does pay fairly well, and has spectacular benefits, but the original poster is talking about a low-level part-time job, with commensurate starting wages. It seems natural to me that in that position the wages would be low. A better question would probably be if there's any chance of a full-time opening in the near future, and also at what rate the pay scale increases with experience and time on the job.

Also, if my dh were taking a part-time job, he'd still be looking for something to do to fill the gap. Two part-time jobs (with UPS providing necessary and costly benefits) might be enough to get by.

I know there are different kinds of bankruptcy, but my sister had to declare bankruptcy and still ended up on a monthly payment plan for various things including income tax.

It sounds like she filed chapter 13. It's harder these days to file chapter 7. However, even if you file chapter 7, you can't file against income taxes unless they're at least three years old (and you filed the income taxes at least three years ago). You can never file bankruptcy on student loans.

It's easy to become judgmental of people making so much more $ than we are, but if I look at our own income & imagine 2/3 cut, I have more compassion.

We did this. Actually more. I was earning more than dh. My entire cheque went to pay mortgage, property insurance & property taxes. All other expenses came from dh's cheque. And then we made do without my paycheque & everything had to come out dh's. After we paid mortgage etc, there was not a whole lot left.

It was tough but I'm ruthless on budgets & this was an important decision for our family & I was determined to make it work.

This isn't to be judgemental or hurtful but rather to give encouragement.

I think one thing that was missed is that this is part time. So that may be $28,000 full time it's about $14,000 part time. That's not a lot of money if you have a mortage - even if it's a small mortgage.

I agree with the advice to take the job because it's easier to get a job if you have a job. If he does this and gets something else and keeps looking you maybe okay.

Employers prefer to hire someone who has a job, so taking it would be a good idea.

Mommaduck,

I'm sorry. I'm so frustrated. We lived in our camper 1 1/2 years when we moved here and that is what I for see in the future again, only this time with 4 dc instead of 1. I'm just scared.

:grouphug: Again, I'm sorry for being crass. I've had a friend with 10 children do this, as crazy as it sounds. Seriously though, you should qualify for some assistance. I do know how frustrating it is to start getting ahead and then get knocked back down again (hubby got laid off this past winter partly due to the economy and partly due to a jealous brother that backdoored him. He's back in the factory again...earning just slightly more an hour than your husband was offered, but working 7 days a week). And I'm going back to school.

They do help you earn money...in the long run. However, in the short run your husband needs to learn how this particular business functions.

We experienced something similar when my hubby was thinking of getting out of the Army. He had 12+ years of global supply chain logistics experience but he was competing for jobs with people just out of college. He got offered a job by every single company he interviewed with. Some even flew him around to tour the company and such. They all liked him and were impressed with him. One even flew him to Boston to have a fake business day to include running fake meetings. One of the people who attends fake meetings all day said it was the best meeting he'd ever been to! But not one offered him even half of what he was making in the Army. So, we stayed Army. If you don't have corporate experience you will start at the bottom and have to work your way up. You will be able to climb farther and faster with an education but you still have to start at the bottom.

WOW! The ARMY does not pay big money either. Oh my!

Some places are more expensive to live in than others, it does not mean that the jobs pay more. To get a 3 bedroom house around here, you would need to pay about $1500-$2500 a month. So I understand a tight budget. Our rent is $1000, somehow we got lucky when we found this house. Groceries at the store are a bit expensive too. It will be difficult, but I would attempt to be as frugal as possible. I know it will be difficult, and life changing, but it is necessary. Surviving is important right now. My husband has been laid off some off and on, because there was no work to be done. Unemployment was only $1100 a month. I am trying to figure out how that would pay the $2000 rent if our rent was that high. Luckily when there is work to do he can work. Did I mention that one week the unemployment check was a whole week late? And my husband is not one to get food stamps, so we have been eating lots of beans. Right now it is on off with us. I know it is hard to figure it out, but you can.

As others have said, location makes a difference. In my area, two bedroom apartments start at $1100 per month. That would be almost 50% of that $28,000 salary and landlords would likely not rent a two bedroom apt. to a family of 6. Three bedrooms start at $1800.

Food and gas are more expensive here as well. Add in utilities and...you can see it's impossible to live on that in some places.

Moving to another state is a huge expense that most cannot afford right now either.

One town over from where I live, 28k is the cost of PROPERTY TAXES. I kid you not. And, no one is buying houses in those areas now, so moving isn't a possibility.

The house I'm looking at moving to the taxes are 13k, and that's good.

So, it's all relative.

As I think the OP was venting and hoping for a listening ear, here's my .02.

:grouphug: Know that you are among friends. I'm sorry your life sucks right now, I really hope you don't have to live in a trailer again with all of your children, and I really hope that your family's financial future is much brighter in the near future.:D

Exactly, which isn't exactly on the list that people want to do. Once you file bankruptcy, then you're looking at possibly not being able to get a decent job or a decent place to live for TEN YEARS.

That isn't quite true. Well, I should say, it might have changed since we declared 10 years ago.

I feel like I have to explain myself here. We worked VERY HARD to get back on our feet, made sure all payments were on time, and made sure some was tucked away. But we bought a house within three years and then were able to get financing for the company building. So, it all depends.

Edited by justamouse

Exactly, which isn't exactly on the list that people want to do. Once you file bankruptcy, then you're looking at possibly not being able to get a decent job or a decent place to live for TEN YEARS.

Not necessarily true. My BIL racked up the cards then filed bankruptcy. We paid off a bunch of debts. Guess who has the better credit...he does.