Menu

Is there anything wrong with the slogan on this shirt?

I wanted to get this shirt for my dd's 10th birthday, but dh is concerned it might have certain negative (i.e., s*xual) connotations. I've never heard of any, but he wants to make sure we're not inadvertently advertising her as being, ahem, available. KWIM?

Has anyone ever heard anything bad about shirts like this one?

ETA: This one is much more specific, and this one includes the dryer, at least. Maybe I could get her a mug for her pens and pencils.

Edited by FlockOfSillies

I prefer shirts with no logos, too, but I wouldn't buy this for my 10yodd because of 10yo boys. It wouldn't be beyond one to go up and push the button on the shirt as a joke.

I'm not saying all boys would, but I can imagine a small group of boys getting silly and one of them "following directions"....

Umm, I wouldn't let my kid wear it. Where is the button located on her chest? And, do you want people to think they can "push her button?"

Also, the whole bacon thing... :rolleyes: sheesh, I thought those jokes went out with the 70's.

LOL. I did like ND. The scene where the uncle grabs the steak off the plate and throws it like a football cracks me up. But then again, I find lots of weird things are funny.

I explained the hand dryer joke once to my dd when we were in a public bathroom once, and she's found it hilariously funny ever since. It's become our special inside joke.

So far I'm relieved that I'm not hearing, "But haven't you heard -- that means _____________. It's a well-known expression among teenagers these days."

LOL. I did like ND. The scene where the uncle grabs the steak off the plate and throws it like a football cracks me up. But then again, I find lots of weird things are funny.

I explained the hand dryer joke once to my dd when we were in a public bathroom once, and she's found it hilariously funny ever since. It's become our special inside joke.

So far I'm relieved that I'm not hearing, "But haven't you heard -- that means _____________. It's a well-known expression among teenagers these days."

I searched "bacon" on Urban Dictionary. :001_huh: (NOTE: not for viewing with children in the room!! The language is so bad, that I will not link the website.)

I found three entries which referred to female genitalia and/or sex. Entries 12, 16 & 19 if anyone wants to go look them up. I would NOT purchase the shirt.

MOST references are to food and slang for a police officer.

I wanted to get this shirt for my dd's 10th birthday, but dh is concerned it might have certain negative (i.e., s*xual) connotations. I've never heard of any, but he wants to make sure we're not inadvertently advertising her as being, ahem, available. KWIM?

Has anyone ever heard anything bad about shirts like this one?

That shirt is hilarious. I love it!

I prefer shirts with no logos, too, but I wouldn't buy this for my 10yodd because of 10yo boys. It wouldn't be beyond one to go up and push the button on the shirt as a joke.

I'm not saying all boys would, but I can imagine a small group of boys getting silly and one of them "following directions"....

:iagree:

This is what I was thinking also. Just not a good place to have a button. Remember most of us aren't guys here, they do think differently than us girls.

I don't see a double meaning. Bacon is hugely popular in the geek world right now and perfectly innocent. I'm totally going to buy that shirt for my husband!

:smilielol5:I don't know why, but this just struck me as hilarious! I guess I'm not in the "geek world". Just a funny sentence!

:smilielol5:I don't know why, but this just struck me as hilarious! I guess I'm not in the "geek world". Just a funny sentence!

Yeah, it does sound funny, and I definitely AM in the geek world. Dh is an engineer, and all his friends are single engineers in their mid to late twenties. They regularly have D&D parties, watch anime, etc. Right now three of them are making insane detailed Ghostbusters costumes & trying to find a fourth guy to join them. Since they are electrical, computer, and mechanical engineers the effects are going to be pretty cool.

They are also into Bacon Salt, the product whose slogan is "Everything should taste like bacon." This company even has a blog, whose tagline is "The never-ending quest to make everything taste like bacon." http://www.baconsaltblog.com/

I understand the issue with the button, but otherwise I think it's just a joke about the symbols on hand dryers in bathrooms, and how they look sort of weird...like bacon.

:iagree:

I'll bet just about ANY word or phrase could be made into something "dirty" these days. That doesn't mean that it always is. I think the shirt is pretty funny and totally just mocking the pictures on the sign.

Defer to your husband, for a variety of reasons:

#1) ...to respect his request. If your spouse is like mine, he probably gives you tons of deference in decision making. The less often he actually has an opinion should make his opinion carry more weight. Whether or not you agree with him (or other posters) is beside the point, he has stated his moral conscience. Would you be offended if the tables were turned?...if he ignored your moral sensibilities concerning your daughter?

#2) He's a guy. He knows how they think. Even if the intent of the message is innocent...it doesn't stop a perverse mind from "going there." Many dads are very careful about protecting their daughters from being targets of this kind of thing. Erring on the side of safety won't damage anyone.

#3) The t-shirt isn't cute enough OR funny enough to risk #1 or #2.

Geo

Edited by Geo

#1) ...to respect his request. If your spouse is like mine, he probably gives you tons of deference in decision making. The less often he actually has an opinion should make his opinion carry more weight. Whether or not you agree with him (or other posters) is beside the point, he has stated his moral conscience. Would you be offended if the tables were turned?...if he ignored your moral sensibilities concerning your daughter?

#2) He's a guy. He knows how they think. Even if the intent of the message is innocent...it doesn't stop a perverse mind from "going there." Many dads are very careful about protecting their daughters from being targets of this kind of thing. Erring on the side of safety won't damage anyone.

Geo

Great post. :001_smile:

I posted about "low gas mileage from having too much junk in my trunk", and someone said that means "I walk slowly because I have a big butt". :confused:

I wasn't going to post it but I thought the same thing when I read that statement of yours. :blushing:

Yeah, I guess it is a geek humor thing. Dh is a software engineer, but we're on the mainstream edge of the geek world. Sci-fi TV series, mostly. But a high proportion of our friends are serious geeks.

And the Bacon Salt thing is a running theme on Instapundit.com. Glenn Reynolds regularly posts wacky links to various websites about improving the world through bacon.

Edited by FlockOfSillies

I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I was trying to discount or contradict my dh's opinion. On the contrary, the reason I'm asking on the boards is because he asked me to check around and see if there's anything that could be problematic.

He and I are both in agreement that we don't want any of our kids walking around with suggestive messages on their clothing or personal items. If it's something that's a common euphemism or double entendre, we'd skip it. But if it's something that only the most depraved mind would consider suggestive, then that's another matter entirely. I just wanted to determine which category this particular item falls into. Based on the responses I've seen here, I think we'll skip it.

I agree. NO t-shirt is worth it.

Brenda,

Well, since you've clarified that, I'll just go ahead and answer your op. Personally, I see no inuendo in it....neither did I think it cute or funny, more like,"what? huh?... Oh."

I appreciate your gracious response and am glad to hear you and your husband are in unity over the matter....'twas my only concern. :o

God bless,

Geo, who quite often steps on innocent toes...but always means well.

Edited by Geo