Which Math Program?  

1. 1. Which Math Program?

• Math U See
    • Saxon
    • Christian Light Education
    • Singapore
    • Bob Jones University
    • Other

Well I voted Singapore, but that doesn't reflect what we use. DS (7yo) is using Singapore and thriving. He loves it and with the CWP and IP it presents enough of a challenge. Without CWP and IP though, I might choose something else. We also supplement with Miquon.

For my other DS (also 7yo) we're using MUS and will definitely be continuing on with the program. DS is also severely autistic and the mastery approach with lots of repetition is just what he needs. He's thriving in Alpha right now. Having the blocks makes it fun so he wants to do math. This is the first program we've been able to get DS interested in and that makes all the difference here. I cannot rave enough about MUS when it comes to children with learning differences that need a mastery approach.

However, in our family, neither program would work well on the other kiddo. MUS would not be challenging enough for my one DS. My other DS would be CLUELESS with Singapore. DD appears to be typically developing, so we'll start her out with Singapore & Miquon and see how it goes. Basically I think both programs are wonderful, but you have to pick for individual children based on how they learn best. Good Luck!

I have always used multiple things to teach arithmetic. And I love mathematics; it's my absolute favorite subject. :001_smile:

IMHO those grammar-stage years and early logic years are for getting that arithmetic down cold. Solid. Like the back of their hand. With all of my kids we ended up solidly ready for Algebra by mid-6th grade. We used A Beka K - 6 and then the 8th grade Pre-algebra text. I just worked each kid through the books. When they needed a break, I used Singapore to offer them some alternate perspectives on some of the methods they were using as well as a peek into mathematics. Great stuff! I'm glad that I had it and didn't have to JUST use one program. But I found that in grades K-6, my kids didn't need as much of the logic-stage deductive-thinking-skills where Singapore shines; that is really more mathematics than arithmetic. They needed to know how to crank, crank, crank through arithmetic operations all the way through percents without thinking. And A Beka handled that with nice-n-neat daily lessons that EACH had those review sections. There was review everyday - in every lesson. So important! And once I figured out how to teach one level of the program, it was super-easy to pace a year's schedule with confidence. I knew where we could collapse a unit, where we could shave off the preview-material at the end of each text, and where we could skip the intro-material at the beginning of each text. I knew almost exactly how to plan our years and because we did a little arithmetic everyday in the summers when they were little (20 minutes per day with 30 minutes of reading per day), it was a snap to have them all ready to begin Algebra in 6th grade.

And THAT's where we slow down and take plenty of time to play. At that point all of my kids - and they are all very different - were ready to really start exploring the abstractness and logic of algebra and geometry. So far we have lined up the high-school transcripts so that they complete Geometry by the end of 9th grade; Algebra II in 10th (which is a big year in other subjects around here so it helps that we have already bumped into a lot of the Alg II topics earlier); Pre-Calculus in 11th (My oldest is here; this should be another big mathematics year with lots of software and digging deeper; did I mention that I LOVE this???? :001_smile:); and Calculus in 12th (At least that's the plan :001_smile:).

So there's my long-winded answer. Around here, I primarily drove the A Beka arithmetic bus. If I were only allowed one vehicle, that's the one I would choose. :001_smile:

But keep in mind that this is my favorite subject. We could have walked if we had to. ;)

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I picked Singapore. I like that it is challenging, easily compacted, has workbooks through level 6, and that it emphasizes what I think is important in elementary mathematics.

I've used the following math programs that were on the list:

MUS Alpha-Zeta

Saxon 2-8/7

Singapore EB-5

ETA: I really like using RightStart in place of Singapore EB and level 1 and then moving into Singapore 2A after RS B.

I would choose Right Start Math until I finished it and then I would do Singapore. I assume that's why Right Start was not on your poll.... it doesn't go through grade 8.

Julie

I thought of Right Start and I know a lot of people love this math program...but I did not add it since it does not have any levels after Geometry.

I would pick Horizons. Officially it only goes through grade 6, but it prepares pretty well for a Pre-Algebra course to follow.

I had forgot about Horizons.

We use Saxon. We started with it because it is what my wife used when she used when she was homeschooled, and we continue with it because it works well for our family. DW is very good at working with it to do what we want, and not being slavish to every small detail.

I would choose Right Start Math until I finished it and then I would do Singapore. I assume that's why Right Start was not on your poll.... it doesn't go through grade 8.

Julie

Same here (I think). We'll be using RSD this year and I'm not 100% certain of what we'll do after Geometry, but I'm leaning toward Singapore.

We're using SRA Real Math (though it only goes through Grade 6, I think), and we LOVE it! So much so that I've already bought all the way through grade 6, in fact. (: Each grade comes with game mats and manipulatives, a comprehensive teacher's guide, and is very visual, with lots of photographs and clear text.

I pick Saxon. I've already graduated 2 who have gone through Saxon Calculus. My third is in the middle of Advanced Math and the tag-a-long is starting 6/5 this year. They are all strong in math (one even got his EE degree) so it works for us.

Linda

If I had to stick with one program, it would be Singapore.

My favorite math sequence is:

MCP Math K

Miquon Math

Singapore Primary Math (3A-6B)

Jacobs Algebra and/or Kinetic Books Algebra I

Jacobs Geometry

Kinetic Books Algebra II

not sure after that, but trying Larson's Precalculus this year

Edited by AngieW in Texas

I voted Singapore, but I may or may not use it once we finish RS. What we will probably do is finish Right Start, then do the last 2 levels of MEP before moving onto something like Life of Fred (the prealgebra course should be out by then) or Chalk Dust. We are also supplementing RS with Miquon, and when that's done, I'll supplement level E with MEP.

Math on the Level because it is a bunch of teacher guides and a concept chart showing how the topics follow on from each other. It's very flexible. We can study what we want, when we want and how we want without losing track and missing anything important.

Rosie

We've used Singapore from preK-6 and been very, very happy with it. I've added in LOF in the summers after grade 4. I think I'll stick with Singapore for grade 7 as well (Discovering Mathematics), then switch into a US Algebra program.

We've done various supplementary stuff too, but that's been our core.

because although I've used Saxon a few times, I'm not a fan of their K-3. 5/4 and up is ok. My oldest struggled with 5/4 last year so we switched to TT and will go back to Saxon once we wrap up TT5. TT is fun, but I'm not sure he's really getting all he needs with it.

As for what to do with K-3 I have my dd doing McRuffy and LOVE IT! It's similar to Saxon but doesn't have as much work to a lesson and includes fun games and other things like tangrams. She really enjoys math now.

Tried Saxon, and it just did not work with ANY of my 3. We used A Beka K-4, but didn't like it after 3.

I picked Bob Jones, cuz that's what I WISH I would've gone with! My oldest did BJU curriculum for 10th grade. It was perfect for him!

CLE looks interesting too.

My younger two love LoF maths.

Edited by Brindee

A Beka

We used A Beka for K and it worked great. THEN. . .

We used Saxon, too much spiral for my dd

We used Rod and Staff, too much drill for my dd

We used Singapore too different for my dd (mental math with number bonds and other things was not her cup of tea)

We used MUS and loved the manipulatives, but, she still couldn't add!

I taught her touch math and she finally got it!

In second grade, I went to Horizons because it was cheaper than A Beka, and it was fine until they started teaching division in 3rd grade. So, last year, when my youngest was in Kindergarten I used A Beka and wondered why I ever switched in the first place?! I put my oldest back in A Beka and it's been cake. It's colorful, spirals just enough to keep their interest but makes sure they have the concepts down. The instruction is clear and concise. I do think her math issues would have been there even with A Beka. But, I don't think anything else gave me the clear instructions I needed to be able to help her.

HTH!

Dorinda

We've only ever used Saxon (from 5/4 up), but it works very well for us.

While many say there is too much repetition in Saxon, that's part of what makes it strong in my view. Learning a concept, and then revisiting it frequently really helps the lesson sink in. We make sure he does all the exercises and all the "facts practice tests." Our soccer-playing eighth grader complains occasionally, but I point out to him that professional soccer players still practice simple passes and other skills EVERY day, just as professional musicians still practice their basic scales EVERY day.

While he says he doesn't like math and isn't good at math, he has scored in the 99th percentile nationally on his standardized tests for the past three years. To me, that says a lot about the program.

We were very happy with A Beka K-3. My girls have a solid math foundation!

We're still figuring out what works best after that.

I voted for CLE because from looking intensively at their scope & sequence I know that if I used their program everything would get covered. I love their coverage of geometry and real life math for K-8.

The poll almost needs to be divided into 2 categories: "Best" Spiral and "Best" Mastery, because the answer will be different depending on what the child needs.

We've only ever used Saxon (from 5/4 up), but it works very well for us.

While many say there is too much repetition in Saxon, that's part of what makes it strong in my view. Learning a concept, and then revisiting it frequently really helps the lesson sink in. We make sure he does all the exercises and all the "facts practice tests." Our soccer-playing eighth grader complains occasionally, but I point out to him that professional soccer players still practice simple passes and other skills EVERY day, just as professional musicians still practice their basic scales EVERY day.

While he says he doesn't like math and isn't good at math, he has scored in the 99th percentile nationally on his standardized tests for the past three years. To me, that says a lot about the program.

Don't get me wrong, I like Saxon! It just didn't work for my kids! They were bored to tears no matter how we did it, so we moved on to something else. My kids all get in the 90th (middle ds, who goes through the tests too quickly!) to 99th percentile on their Standardized tests as well, which makes me feel better for allowing them to switch when it wasn't working! :001_smile:

I said Singapore, and the reason is because heuristically it is one of the best ones out there, and we've tried a few. Of course, I wouldn't actually do this because I like doing Russian Math after SM 6, and love LoF at the moment. But there is no Rsussain Math for all those grades in English, or LoF, and they weren't even in your list, so it would be SM.

OTOH, I could have chosen other, because MEP is also very good. However, I really, really, really like those bar diagrams, etc, in SM.

My kids really think mathematically, and all of them have done at least some SM. However, once my dc can read, I don't get intimidated by much curricula wise until we hit high school.