Menu

POLL: If you had to pick one literature based curriculum, which would it be...

Which literature based curriculum would you pick for your elementary age child?  

1. 1. Which literature based curriculum would you pick for your elementary age child?

• Sonlight
    • Living Books Curriculum
    • Heart of Dakota
    • My Father's World
    • Tapestry of Grace
    • Ambleside Online
    • Five in a Row
    • Veritas Press
    • Robinson Curriculum
    • Trisms

If you had to pick one literature based curriculum for your elementary aged children, which would you pick. I know the list is not complete, but I only had 10 polling options. I have my favorite and I am wondering about you!

Just for fun,

Michelle

Edited by Michelle My Bell

If you had to pick one literature based curriculum for your elementary aged children, which would you pick. I know the list is not complete, but I only had 10 polling options. I have my favorite and I am wondering about you!

Just for fun,

Michelle

I've used Veritas Press, Sonlight and Story of the World with the activity book.

This year I went through considering TOG and Ambleside Online. But I went with Sonlight because I like having the week scheduled out for me. I tweak it a quite a bit, but it is just a better starting point for me.

BTW, I think that I would also add to the list the curriculum by Laura Berquist that Emmanuel Books sells. I don't know how the scheduling and other curriculum content is, but the reading lists rock.

We were going to use Sonlight this year, but several of my friends are using A New World of Adventure, so I thought we'd give it a try. It might be fun for us to be able to do some of the projects together. It's the second book in the series, and we didn't use the first book, but I have been assured that it won't make much difference :)

If you've never heard of it....

http://www.learning-adventures.org/

Guest Katia

My 'baby' will be a senior this year.....and I was just thinking....if I had to do it all over again; what curriculum would I use?

My answer to myself was: FIAR. Without a doubt.

I use WTM . I really thought it was a literature based program. I didn't see it on your list though.

:iagree:

I use SOTW and the Activity Guide, along with the suggestions in the WTM. It would have been nice to have had this as a choice, especially since this website is funded by the WTM.

GardenMom

Of your choices:

Five in a Row for elementary because it is not overwhelming and there are some nice lapbooks to go with the books on homeschoolshare.com.

My real first choice would be Oak Meadow which uses children's literature and again it is not overkill but gentle and enough.

I love TOG for older kids but on the elementary level I wanted to do everything but then all I ended up having energy for was history and then we burned out. But it is the best. :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cindie2dds

Winter Promise, hands down. In the last year I have bought and sold MFW, HOD and FIAR. I have used Sonlight also, but Winter Promise definitely fits our family. :)

Cannot vote because I always have tried to "match" each child with the educational products best (or, at least, better) suited to that individual child. Of my four children, that's four answers for nearly every subject !

My only suggestion for the poll would be to remove TRISMS, as it is not used for elementary grades. 7th grade is the earliest possible (barring precocity).