Menu

Anybody teaching this summer ?

what as wrong with the original post? LOL

Anyway, my son (9th grade) is off til Aug 3rd. That week will be a little light and then pick up on the 10th. The idea is to have him in a comfortable routine before the littles start Aug 24th.

My daughter's university program started July 1st. I am trying to learn not to worry or nag :) Actually, we got a neat set up that I wish we had done in high school also. It is possible to keep on top of things without being up her rear :)

I removed it because it included how peeved I am by what I called all the "boxing match" threads. (So now I've reinstated my gripe !)

Somebody impound my keyboard ! :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, as said originally -- We are doing math, only. With camp and a month of swim lessons, my hands are full.

what as wrong with the original post? LOL

I'm teaching my almost 7 yos math, history, reading and writing. And continuing my 5 yos with basic letters and numbers. At this early point the less we get away from it the better. I think it will feel less of a transition in September too. We have a couple weeks of vacation spinkled into the mix. I have them doing so many extra curricular activities during the "school year" I decided to not sign them up for anything this summer. I didn't even do VBS. They are continuing karate only.

We let out officially last Thursday, but are doing reading/math end of year assessments this week.

We are doing at least an hour of read-aloud together time every day. We are playing math games and working in the garden, too. Oh, and de-cluttering the house and doing a summer reading program.

Our school year starts on August 24th. Until then, it is a recreational summer here with an educational slant snuck in sometimes. Mostly just fun, though.

Yes, we're doing a few things this summer -- but very light. Some math and phonics, along with the usual reading, reading, reading. That way, when fall comes, and all dds' extracurricular activities are in full swing, I won't feel like we are getting behind by skipping a few lessons here and there. They are also doing their cursive workbooks from Queens, but that is just because they are anxious to learn cursive and brought out the books themselves. :)

Yep, regular schedule here minus 2 one week breaks for camp and vacation. We school year round literally, but take several week long breaks.

Cons:

We never match up with anybody's "school year"

We seem to be moving way ahead of the game

Back to School deals are in the middle of our year

No one academic year has the same seasons

You can only keep them clueless about other kids summer breaks for so long :blush:

Pros:

Never have to spend a month catching up and/or getting back on track

We seem to be ahead of the game

Back to School deals are usually about the time I start running out of supplies

Can take advantage of "off season" rates

Can buy curriculum in the not so busy times, i.e. faster shipping

Yep. We school year-round. We'll take a couple weeks off the end of July - beginning of August and probably another couple weeks the end of August - beginning of September (although one of those weeks will include a visit to the 1850's and will count as school).

One of my boys attends a year-round, outside school. They have annoying (for my schedule), erratically-timed breaks, sometimes for 2 or 3 weeks. When ds is at home, homeschooling suffers because he and dd want to spend time together !

Yep, regular schedule here minus 2 one week breaks for camp and vacation. We school year round literally, but take several week long breaks.

Cons:

We never match up with anybody's "school year"

We seem to be moving way ahead of the game

Back to School deals are in the middle of our year

No one academic year has the same seasons

You can only keep them clueless about other kids summer breaks for so long :blush:

Pros:

Never have to spend a month catching up and/or getting back on track

We seem to be ahead of the game

Back to School deals are usually about the time I start running out of supplies

Can take advantage of "off season" rates

Can buy curriculum in the not so busy times, i.e. faster shipping

Yes. We had had a bad year last year, and since April had done virtually nothing(that is when we had our year end review). The kids are at camp this week. And then Monday we are starting back up with math, grammar and latin. We do have a field trip Monday to the library for a program with the police K9 unit (goes with the summer reading program). My plan is to do school inthe morning, then after lunch they can go participate in the programs offered at the community hall behind us, and adding fieldtrips etc when we want. They are also in the summer reading program, which means lots of reading. THey only joined 3 weeks ago and they are already more than halfway done their req for the whole summer(they would be done but I added extra requirements of my own).

All of that combined will keep them busy all summer and then mid/late August we will start adding in other subject areas like spelling and history etc.

We're going through the summer too. We will have a break for one trip and I'm planning some great field trips when we get around to studying Japan (we're doing Eastern Hemisphere studies this year). But we took a couple months off in the winter so I can't justify a long summer break.

It is hard to keep momentum up with the pool around the corner, summer scout camp etc. I try to keep the perspective that many things are educational and that we tend to just keep chugging away. But I also have to fight the tendency to take my breaks and also observe the school's break periods.

On the other hand, in previous years, we gained so much momentum by never taking off from math that we successfully skipped an entire year of Saxon, moving from 3 into 6/5 without doing 5/4.

We cared for my dh's grandmother during most of our school year, from November last year until this June 9th (when she passed away) and school was secondary to that way too often--out of necessity, of course. Our kids had to fend for themselves so much. :( Anyhow, we took the rest of June off and just started back to school this week to salvage what we could of our year.

On one hand I feel guilty for ending their summer break early, but then I felt guilty for NOT being able to teach them as well as I wanted for months before that, so I'm screwed either way. LOL We're just chugging along...

Sorry, that turned into a vent sort of post. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by 6packofun
ll

A little, for many reasons. My kids are "behind" because of behavior problems with eldest ds and from me not getting into a routine. So I am trying to iron out these things.

Yacko is behind for the same reason; Wacko is fresh out of public school so he's working on just enough to not have a huge learning curve when we go full-time in the fall.

I'm teaching my 4 year old a K curriculum. I'm due in September and am not sure how much it's going to effect our daily schedules ;) She also craves "school" work, so I indulge her!

Ditto Dot. She craves the work, wants to be doing what her brothers are doing. By September at her current pace she will have finished the first half of the year's math. After four weeks she's finished one lightunit and is 2/3 of the way through the second. :tongue_smilie:

I'm doing a fun, bright series of books reviewing the ancients, the last of the bio experiments and memorizing the planets (and the Universe song by Monty Python....you can find child-friendly versions on YouTube). We are playing hours of math games (Sum Swamp, Dino Tracks, Money Bags, Arithmetic Lotto, Math Facts Go Fish), he reads to me every day, we started GWG in late June, and we are going back to the beginning lists in SWR but doing the spelling with the AAS tiles, working on a little more speed.

I have given up the Z-B handwriting books and just print out pages from their website, using words kiddo asks for, like kinds of fish or ancient Chinese gods, and this has improved our sessions.