Menu

How do you get smart??

I have to say, that since I have been on these boards I have been amazed at the level of knowledge that I find in the people here. I read Peek-a-boo's arguments and my head spins and yet I nod my head in agreement and think, "she's right!" I see Poor Bear start a thread asking for resources on communism and there is Spy Car with like a bazillion suggested resources at the ready. A lot of the conversations that I read on here, I just TRY to follow along because they are so far above my head. :confused: Someone mentions a book that I've never even heard of and there will be 30 people saying, "oh I love that book, so and so is my absolute favorite author!!" and I'm sitting their scratching my head thinking, Who is this?? :confused: I have 60 threads that I have subscribed too mostly discussing literature suggestions!! :eek:

So my question to you all is, How did you get so smart???

I have to confess that I started out as an unschooler and am just now discovering TWTM for the first time and working my way through the book. I think for me this path turned out to be a good thing because had I started my homeschooling journey here I probably would have been too intimidated to think I could ever homeschool. But God is good and started me on this path gently. hehehehe

I mean, I know that Florida's PSS is NOTORIOUSLY bad, but you all seem to me to be above and beyond even what the PSS in general has to offer. Am I wrong?

So how did you do it?? What books did you read or experiences did you have that really helped you on this road to knowledge?

I realize that I was done a tremendous disservice by my PS education and would have to do a lot of work to teach myself what I was never taught. I also know I'm not the brightest bulb in the world, but I would very much like to improve myself as much as is possible... so do you think it can be done? Can this dummy become a smarty like you all?? :D

THANK YOU to all who reply.

Blessings,

Jennifer

Short answer: Hang around this board! ; )

Seriously, I learn things ALL the time here. It's my #1 go-to spot for meeting with thinking people who want to discuss ideas. Lots of us are "smart" in an area or two, so we share what we know with others and learn from people who know things about subjects we have barely heard of. ; )

Reading WTM repeatedly and discussing things on this board have helped me grow TREMENDOUSLY over the last 6-8 years that I have been homeschooling. Homeschooling has helped educate me. I had a PS mom contact me today to discuss tutoring her son in reading comprehension, and I realized that due largely to WTM and my experience homeschooling my children that I am confident I can help him. (My professional background is English but more grammar, writing, and literary analysis than reading comprehension.)

Homeschooling has already taught you a lot. You said you would have been intimidated to try it a few years ago, but you've grown, so here you are, ready to give it a try. So, see, you are learning and growing already. Hooray for you!

I recommend "The Well Educated Mind". Many of us are in the same boat that you are as far as catching up on our own education and this book is a great help.

Thank you!! I just put this book on hold at my library right now! I'm number one in the hold list! YAY! :)

Short answer: Hang around this board! ; )

Seriously, I learn things ALL the time here. It's my #1 go-to spot for meeting with thinking people who want to discuss ideas. Lots of us are "smart" in an area or two, so we share what we know with others and learn from people who know things about subjects we have barely heard of. ; )

Reading WTM repeatedly and discussing things on this board have helped me grow TREMENDOUSLY over the last 6-8 years that I have been homeschooling. Homeschooling has helped educate me. I had a PS mom contact me today to discuss tutoring her son in reading comprehension, and I realized that due largely to WTM and my experience homeschooling my children that I am confident I can help him. (My professional background is English but more grammar, writing, and literary analysis than reading comprehension.)

Homeschooling has already taught you a lot. You said you would have been intimidated to try it a few years ago, but you've grown, so here you are, ready to give it a try. So, see, you are learning and growing already. Hooray for you!

Thank you for your kind words. :grouphug: I do hang out here a lot which I guess is pretty obvious as this will be my 967th post and I've only been here since April!! :eek: hehehe

I have learned a lot from reading other people's posts, but it's kind of like a double edged sword because it also makes me realize just how far gone I am too! ;) hehe But I guess it just all comes down to baby steps, right? One foot in front of the other. :)

Smartness is relative. I was the smart one at tafe (kind of like your community colleges, I think) and not even close to being a smart one at uni. I was moaning to one of the others (who is totally brilliant even if she has the most cynical attitude of anyone I've ever met) about being a dunce, and while she didn't lie and say I was brilliant, which is why I was moaning to her rather than someone with better manners, she did say I was smarter than most of the class. "After all," she said, "you're still showing up to class." Hmm. Good point.

I think it helps to note down all those times you think "Huh? Am I the only one who doesn't know that?" so you can go off and find out. I think it helps to have a list checked off. "I am not a jerk or a dunce because I now know about this, and this, and this, and this, etc."

I am currently feeling like a jerk because I still don't know how to take measurements properly for dressmaking, but I'm feeling sensible and brilliant because I remembered to stash away enough wool in the right colour to make my next outfit.

Heheh.

Rosie

I think it helps to note down all those times you think "Huh? Am I the only one who doesn't know that?" so you can go off and find out. I think it helps to have a list checked off. Rosie

Thanks Rosie. :) That's a good suggestion. I've been using the "subscribe to thread" feature for my list, does that count? :) hehehe It's a funny thing too because I used to always think that I was pretty smart because I did so well in PS. I always got good grades (A's & B's) and passed tests easily, I didn't realize until I got to college that the reason school was so easy is because they didn't really ever challenge me! The last Math class I had in High School was General Math 2!! :eek:

I don't know what my capacity will be to learn certain concepts, but I am willing to test myself to find out. I know math has always been something that causes me to wake up in night sweats, but I am not afraid to try. I just bought myself an Algebra book to try to teach myself. I was really afraid because this is the one course that I could never pass in College. I took it and failed it 4 times before I begged my advisor to let me take another class for college credit. I wound up failing Statistics 3 times before finally passing that one for college credit!!

I bought that book from Dolciani (thanks to always hearing her name referenced on these boards) and I am happy to say that so far it is going well. I am understanding the instructions and even getting most of the problems right! Yay! :)

I was really afraid because this is the one course that I could never pass in College. I took it and failed it 4 times before I begged my advisor to let me take another class for college credit. I wound up failing Statistics 3 times before finally passing that one for college credit!!

The smart thing to do there would have been to give up and take a history class! :tongue_smilie:

Rosie- the history major

I don't know what my capacity will be to learn certain concepts, but I am willing to test myself to find out. I know math has always been something that causes me to wake up in night sweats, but I am not afraid to try. I just bought myself an Algebra book to try to teach myself. I was really afraid because this is the one course that I could never pass in College. I took it and failed it 4 times before I begged my advisor to let me take another class for college credit. I wound up failing Statistics 3 times before finally passing that one for college credit!!

I bought that book from Dolciani (thanks to always hearing her name referenced on these boards) and I am happy to say that so far it is going well. I am understanding the instructions and even getting most of the problems right! Yay! :)

Wowza. This math-o-phobe is highly impressed!

I personally sweated bullets and cried buckets through Algebra 1 and 2 in high school, and when I reached college, immediately took CLEP tests and just barely managed to test out of math (I was majoring in English so I only had a couple of classes to get out of).

My daughter will be starting Algebra in the fall or so, and I bought a scripted curriculum and plan to shunt her off to my math-y husband immediately if she doesn't understand something. :lol: (Yes, I have warned my husband.)

If you have the gumption to work through Dolciani to self-educate, you will do absolutely FINE. :lol:

The smart thing to do there would have been to give up and take a history class! :tongue_smilie:

Rosie- the history major

Well, it took me 4 years to get my A.A. degree and I took a math class every term of those 4 years including summers!! :eek: I never finished my Bachelor's degree unfortunately because I was so burnt out by the time I finally transferred to the University (I was working 50 hours a week and going to school at nights) that I couldn't think straight anymore and wasn't doing well even in my Major. I took some time off to try to give my mind a bit of a break, but then life happened and I haven't had the chance to go back and finish yet. I hope some day I will be able to though. Maybe when my daughter goes to college I'll be able to go with her.... Maybe. :)

If I do get to go back though, I will probably change my major to special education so I can learn things that will help my son. I'd love to learn to what Occupational therapists and Speech therapist do so that I can use those skills with my son to help him. :)

Wowza. This math-o-phobe is highly impressed!

I personally sweated bullets and cried buckets through Algebra 1 and 2 in high school, and when I reached college, immediately took CLEP tests and just barely managed to test out of math (I was majoring in English so I only had a couple of classes to get out of).

My daughter will be starting Algebra in the fall or so, and I bought a scripted curriculum and plan to shunt her off to my math-y husband immediately if she doesn't understand something. :lol: (Yes, I have warned my husband.)

If you have the gumption to work through Dolciani to self-educate, you will do absolutely FINE. :lol:

Thank you again for your kind words. :grouphug: You're so nice. My daughter is doing 7th grade next year and I believe she is supposed to start Algebra in 8th?? Is that right? I figure I need to get a head start on this stuff if I"m ever going to be able to teach it. hehe :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

Thank you. I bookmarked the site. I'd never heard of it before. :blushing:

It was a hard slog the first couple of years, and it was probably 10 before I felt right at home with the economic articles, but every week there is something to laugh at, and the English is good. If nothing else, read the obit every week, and then briefly look up any references in it you aren't familiar with. The obits are especially tightly written.

It was a hard slog the first couple of years, and it was probably 10 before I felt right at home with the economic articles, but every week there is something to laugh at, and the English is good. If nothing else, read the obit every week, and then briefly look up any references in it you aren't familiar with. The obits are especially tightly written.

Thank you for the suggestions. :)

I saw an interview with Bill Gates. He said that he read the newspaper every single day from cover to cover -- even the articles of no interest to him. I know that's just not feasible for most people (who gets a real honest to goodness paper anymore anyway?!)

I'm DEFINITELY not on par with most of the people on these boards! But my Dad is REALLY smart. He just reads reads reads reads. All. The. Time. I've started reading stuff that I think "looks smart". (Sounds kind of dumb, huh?) For example, I have started reading more non-fiction: biographies, histories, classics, subject-oriented (anybody ever read the book, "Salt"? SO INTERESTING! My husband got tired of hearing me blab about the facts in that book! I learned more in that book about history than any textbook in high school!!!!)

I spend a lot of time reading.

When we have money, I take a college class a semester at the local community college. This past year I took Psych 103 (Devopment through the Lifespan) and Health 121 (Holistic Health).

Most of all, I enjoy learning. And it's easy to get smarter when you like to learn things :)

An obvious recommendation to getting smart is to stop doing things that cause stupidity- like watching most or all of what's on T.V. many "games" etc. This will free up a lot of time and brain space.

Decide that it is o.k. to fail and look stupid. I've learned a lot by admitting I don't know something.

If something is foolish (a movie, music, book, decor, clothes) get rid of it.

Read. Read some more. Read even more.

Listen - there are tons of teaching tapes, materials, music out there that will expand how you think. The internet is a great resource.

Read.

Surround yourself with smart people (like here :001_smile:- HI smart people!!)

Realize that you will be "smart" in some areas and not in others. I think I'm pretty smart in some areas and definitly inferior in others. That's o.k. I only have so much time so I "get smart" in areas that are of value to me or an area I need to understand- like gardening, education, human devlopment, etc. I'm saving areas, like, say, math for other people to be smart in.;)

Read. Read some more.

There is a proverb that says "by knowledge a house is built. By understanding it is established. By wisdom it is filled with pleasant and precious riches." Follwing the trivium (knowledge =grammar, understanding =dialectic and wisdom = rhetoric) in how we approach subjects we can learn bit by bit instead of being overwhelmed by what we don't know. My garden is double in size this year from last. I've learned so much. 4 years ago it was itty bitty. I'm getting smarter at gardening through experience, reading, talking to other gardeners, failing.

Read.

Learn how to memorize. I truly believe that teaching my children how to memorize is one of the greatest gifts (along with reading) that we've given them.

Thank you all for the recommendations. I do love to read a lot. It's actually my favorite thign to do in my free time. I read more non-fiction than anything else. I love to read "how to" type books a lot and learn new skills to improve myself.:)

I have never heard of that book Salt. I'm going to have to google that one. :) Thank you for the proverb, Lisa. That was perfect! :)

edit: I googled it. Is this it?? http://www.amazon.com/Salt-World-History-Mark-Kurlansky/dp/0142001619/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245301488&sr=1-1

Excellent suggestions from everyone. Just wanted to add that you might look at your library for courses from The Teaching Company. This is a company which has the best professors from all over the country give a series of (usually) 30 minute lectures. There are any number of courses you can listen to/watch (they generally come in both DVD & CD). These aren't for-credit courses; there are no tests to take, no enrollment fees, just pure enjoyment. Poke around their web site (www.teach12.com) for an idea of the types of courses they offer (just about anything and everything you could possibly be interested in!)

And don't freak out at the prices you see. Every course in their catalogue goes on a 70% or more sale at least one time per year. Have fun!

You get smart by being willing to eat a lot of dumb mistakes ;)

seriously --when you yammer on and on as much as some of us do, we're bound to say SOMEthings wrong. A diet of eating our own words can be humbling sometimes.

sometimes... :D

and Rosie's right --a lot of it is relative.

When a poster makes a great post, i try to find MORE posts by them. And there are some posters/ authors/ publications that are super smart in some areas and bomb in others. be ready to notice that and realize how to learn from the areas they are experts in, but dismiss the stupid stuff they say.

i like teh way laughing lioness put it:

*Surround yourself with smart people (like here - HI smart people!!)

*Realize that you will be "smart" in some areas and not in others. I think I'm pretty smart in some areas and definitly inferior in others. That's o.k. I only have so much time so I "get smart" in areas that are of value to me or an area I need to understand- like gardening, education, human devlopment, etc. I'm saving areas, like, say, math for other people to be smart in.

I'm still learning! :D

good luck!

Excellent suggestions from everyone. Just wanted to add that you might look at your library for courses from The Teaching Company. This is a company which has the best professors from all over the country give a series of (usually) 30 minute lectures. There are any number of courses you can listen to/watch (they generally come in both DVD & CD). These aren't for-credit courses; there are no tests to take, no enrollment fees, just pure enjoyment. Poke around their web site (www.teach12.com) for an idea of the types of courses they offer (just about anything and everything you could possibly be interested in!)

And don't freak out at the prices you see. Every course in their catalogue goes on a 70% or more sale at least one time per year. Have fun!

Oh that sounds WONDERFUL!! Thank you so much for the recommendation! I will check out the site and see what my library has. :) Thank you so much!! :)

edit: OOOOH!! I just did a preliminary search on my library's website and they have 201 search results for The Teaching Company. YAY! :hurray::party:

Edited by Ibbygirl

You get smart by being willing to eat a lot of dumb mistakes ;)

seriously --when you yammer on and on as much as some of us do, we're bound to say SOMEthings wrong. A diet of eating our own words can be humbling sometimes.

sometimes... :D

and Rosie's right --a lot of it is relative.

When a poster makes a great post, i try to find MORE posts by them. And there are some posters/ authors/ publications that are super smart in some areas and bomb in others. be ready to notice that and realize how to learn from the areas they are experts in, but dismiss the stupid stuff they say.

i like teh way laughing lioness put it:

*Surround yourself with smart people (like here - HI smart people!!)

*Realize that you will be "smart" in some areas and not in others. I think I'm pretty smart in some areas and definitly inferior in others. That's o.k. I only have so much time so I "get smart" in areas that are of value to me or an area I need to understand- like gardening, education, human devlopment, etc. I'm saving areas, like, say, math for other people to be smart in.

I'm still learning! :D

good luck!

Thanks Peek. :) You are one of those people on this board that I have tremendous respect and admiration for. When I read your posts I am always amazed by the clarity of your thinking and how incredibly intelligent and knowledgeable you are on so many things. You have a way of seeing straight through to the heart of things that I just find incredible. You are definitly a person who's mind I'd love to pick, or at least be a fly on the wall in your library. ;) :) Thank you most kindly for your words of encouragement. :)

Thanks Peek. :) You are one of those people on this board that I have tremendous respect and admiration for. When I read your posts I am always amazed by the clarity of your thinking and how incredibly intelligent and knowledgeable you are on so many things. You have a way of seeing straight through to the heart of things that I just find incredible. You are definitly a person who's mind I'd love to pick, or at least be a fly on the wall in your library. ;) :) Thank you most kindly for your words of encouragement. :)

aw thanks, but........--you apparently haven't stumbled onto my stupid posts! :lol:

feel free to PM me w/ any questions or clarifications. :)

Thank you all for the recommendations. I do love to read a lot. It's actually my favorite thign to do in my free time. I read more non-fiction than anything else. I love to read "how to" type books a lot and learn new skills to improve myself.:)

I have never heard of that book Salt. I'm going to have to google that one. :) Thank you for the proverb, Lisa. That was perfect! :)

edit: I googled it. Is this it?? http://www.amazon.com/Salt-World-History-Mark-Kurlansky/dp/0142001619/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245301488&sr=1-1

That's it!

aw thanks, but........--you apparently haven't stumbled onto my stupid posts! :lol:

feel free to PM me w/ any questions or clarifications. :)

hehehe I guess not yet. Thank you so much for your kind offer. :) I'd love to hear some of your book recommendations. I mean, when you present an argument on these boards I want to go and get some popcorn to watch the show. It is fascinating for me to watch how your mind reasons and works through to see the heart of the matter. I realize that you were born with a great intelligence, but I know you must have then trained that fine mind to make it an exceptional mind. I'd love to hear what books or other resources shaped your thinking and development. :)

Ibby, have you ducked into that thread about 7 Pounds, the movie? One of the most intelligent discussions I've read in a long time, and I didn't even see the movie!:D

I could have written your post. I too feel dumb once in a while, but then again, my super smart friends are pretty dumb about life-skills sometimes, so I cut myself some slack. Tonight I spent 3 hours devouring my library's list of juvenile audio-books for my dd because of the thread about it. This forum means a lot to me too.

I'm gonna go now and ...READ. Someone said something about that activity making you smarter!! ;)

Ibby, have you ducked into that thread about 7 Pounds, the movie? One of the most intelligent discussions I've read in a long time, and I didn't even see the movie!:D

I could have written your post. I too feel dumb once in a while, but then again, my super smart friends are pretty dumb about life-skills sometimes, so I cut myself some slack. Tonight I spent 3 hours devouring my library's list of juvenile audio-books for my dd because of the thread about it. This forum means a lot to me too.

I'm gonna go now and ...READ. Someone said something about that activity making you smarter!! ;)

hehehehe I kind of avoided that thread about the movie because I personally didn't like the movie, but I guess I will have to pop in and see what's going on in there now. :) Thanks. :)

Hey, I am with you...I know how you feel...My plan looks like this:

1. I read

2. I ask questions ( I am not afraid to ask "stupid" questions; well, I am, but I still ask them)

3. I google it (research)

4. I think

5. My head spins

6. I know that I don't know

7. I read

8. I have more questions

9. Sometimes some light comes through

10. I don't give up, even when I am overwhelmed for a while

very clever, huh?

P.S. I am reading Plato now, "The Republic" (just some parts of it). If my friends would know, they would worry about me I think...

I like these a lot::eek:

Hey, I am with you...I know how you feel...My plan looks like this:

1. I read

2. I ask questions ( I am not afraid to ask "stupid" questions; well, I am, but I still ask them)

3. I google it (research)

4. I think

5. My head spins

6. I know that I don't know

7. I read

8. I have more questions

9. Sometimes some light comes through

10. I don't give up, even when I am overwhelmed for a while

very clever, huh?

P.S. I am reading Plato now, "The Republic" (just some parts of it). If my friends would know, they would worry about me I think...

I like these a lot::eek:

:) That sounds like a great system you have there. :) You are another one that I find very intelligent. I guess all that reading and research is doing you good! :) Ay, I have SO. FAR. TO. GO, but hopefully I will live long enough to see some improvement. ;) :D hehe

Just out of curiosity, when you read for your own enjoyment, do you read in Polish or in English mostly??

Just read everything you can get your hands on.

Even on a lazy day you can learn alot just by reading the captions of the pictures in National Geographic.

And check out the non fiction junior section in the library because I was just thinking the other day how much I have learned recently from my hanging out in that department with my daughter. The books are easy to read and yet not dumbed down and most have incredible pictures. The BEST ever books are DK's Eyewitness Books. Your library probably carries them. Everything from the first humans to volcanoes and cars and frogs.

http://us.dk.com/nf/Search/QuickSearchProc/1,,eyewitness%20books,00.html?id=eyewitness%20books

Check out yard sale books - usually a quarter and you can get some real good old ones.

I seem to find that the old books look at the world in a way that we have lost. For example, I found a book How Animals Tell Time. It was so intense in it's depth of the inner workings of earth and the sun. It explained the way it works so clearly and beautifully that I had to put it down and do the math of seconds and minutes in years. The book was a quarter.

Google is also good. When you do a search on something - type in another word like "natural, alternative, unusual" so that you get a different theory on it.

OH!!!! And check out the state and city parks in your area. Lots of them offer free guided hikes to study the local plants, birds, bugs, etc.

And look at the library boards where people post offers of free lectures, discussions, classes, etc....

Edited by Karen sn

Just read everything you can get your hands on.

Even on a lazy day you can learn alot just by reading the captions of the pictures in national Geographic.

And check out the non fiction junior section in the library because I was just thinking the other day how much I have learned recently from my hanging out in that department with my daughter. The books are easy to read and yet not dumbed down and most have incredible pictures. The BEST ever books are DK's Eyewitness Books. Your library probably carries them. Everything from the first humans to volcanoes and cars and frogs.

http://us.dk.com/nf/Search/QuickSearchProc/1,,eyewitness%20books,00.html?id=eyewitness%20books

Check out yard sale books - usually a quarter and you can get some real good old ones.

I seem to find that the old books look at the world in a way that we have lost. For example, I found a book How Animals Tell Time. It was so intense in it's depth of the inner workings of earth and the sun. It explained the way it works so clearly and beautifully that I had to put it down and do the math of seconds and minutes in years. The book was a quarter.

Google is also good. When you do a search on something - type in another word like "natural, alternative, unusual" so that you get a different theory on it.

OH!!!! And check out the state and city parks in your area. Lots of them offer free guided hikes to study the local plants, birds, bugs, etc.

And look at the library boards where people post offers of free lectures, discussions, classes, etc....

Wow! Thank you so much Karen for all of the wonderful ideas. :) I greatly appreciate it. I love DK as well. I think my daughter had probably every one of their readers when I was teaching her to read. :)

Realize that you will be "smart" in some areas and not in others. I think I'm pretty smart in some areas and definitly inferior in others. That's o.k. I only have so much time so I "get smart" in areas that are of value to me or an area I need to understand- like gardening, education, human devlopment, etc. I'm saving areas, like, say, math for other people to be smart in.;)

Lol. That reminds me of a conversation with my dad. He always harps on at us about learning to fix our cars. One day he was on about it again and I said "You can fix cars, I can cook. I can't fix cars, and you can't cook! Let's stick to what we do best. If you go and fix my car, I'll cook you dinner." Hehehe. Everyone was happy :)

Rosie

Lol. That reminds me of a conversation with my dad. He always harps on at us about learning to fix our cars. One day he was on about it again and I said "You can fix cars, I can cook. I can't fix cars, and you can't cook! Let's stick to what we do best. If you go and fix my car, I'll cook you dinner." Hehehe. Everyone was happy :)

Rosie

hehehehe That's great! :) Ay Rosie I'm so envious of you that you have a dad into cars!! I absolutely LOVE cars and always wanted to learn auto mechanics, but nobody would ever teach me because I was a girl. :( I even told my mom that I wanted to learn to be a mechanic when I got out of High School and she returned with a very emphatic and forceful "no way" (with a few expletives thrown in) ;) I still would like to learn someday and restore an old car. That would be a dream! :)

Ooooh!! 1,000th post!! :) :) Do I get a prize?? Maybe a muzzle (for my fingers)?? ;) hehe

Edited by Ibbygirl

An obvious recommendation to getting smart is to stop doing things that cause stupidity- like watching most or all of what's on T.V. many "games" etc. This will free up a lot of time and brain space.

Decide that it is o.k. to fail and look stupid. I've learned a lot by admitting I don't know something.

If something is foolish (a movie, music, book, decor, clothes) get rid of it.

Read. Read some more. Read even more.

Listen - there are tons of teaching tapes, materials, music out there that will expand how you think. The internet is a great resource.

Read.

Surround yourself with smart people (like here :001_smile:- HI smart people!!)

Read. Read some more.

There is a proverb that says "by knowledge a house is built. By understanding it is established. By wisdom it is filled with pleasant and precious riches." Follwing the trivium (knowledge =grammar, understanding =dialectic and wisdom = rhetoric) in how we approach subjects we can learn bit by bit instead of being overwhelmed by what we don't know. My garden is double in size this year from last. I've learned so much. 4 years ago it was itty bitty. I'm getting smarter at gardening through experience, reading, talking to other gardeners, failing.

Read.

Learn how to memorize. I truly believe that teaching my children how to memorize is one of the greatest gifts (along with reading) that we've given them.

This is excellent advice! I heartily agree.

I would like to add that smartness/intelligence IS NOT the same as being wise. You can read lots more about that in the Bible, if you're interested.

My DH and I would rather have our children work at McDonald's (would you like fries with that?) or be cleaning ladies AND be kind, gracious, honest, humble, hardworking and eager to please the Lord, than to be intelligent, unwise, gossipping, ungracious fools who are CEOs of some huge "smart" company.

Now I have to do the wise thing and get away from this computer while a thunderstorm passes :D

I'm at my parent's house, and my Mom has a book of obits from The Economist. I read the title and passed it over...but now I'm going to have to read it :001_smile:.

Read. Read widely. Whenever something interests you, Google it. Follow rabbit trails on books and topics that come up. Find something that fascinates you and consider it your new hobby.

I've gone from knowing pretty slim pickins about astronomy to the president of a club in 12 years. It started with my doing an astronomy unit with my 3rd grader and falling in love with the night sky. Last week I did a program at a state park and everyone was amazed at how I could "keep all that information in my head" and another club member said she couldn't believe I was brave enough to ask for questions--and answer all of them!!!! How did I do that? I studied it on my own by following rabbit trails of interest and reading and going outside at night.

I've always read the classics. I worked in a library in high school and I pulled the classics off the shelf and took them home with me to read. Then I started homeschooling and found the next "level" of reading--the Epic of Gilgamesh-Song of Roland-Odyssey and Illiad type of reading. We get National Geographic. I read books from a variety of areas--history, conservation (A Sand County Almanac was a favorite), simplicity, religious, cooking/nutrition and gardening as well as fiction/literature.

Read. Find life interesting and learn more about it!

Jean

Edited by Jean in Wisc

And if you must watch tv, then check out your history channel and any science channels you might have. Then follow up with reading about what you've watched.

Some shows are good and some are fluff, but it could spark a trail for you to follow.

Ibbygirl, I just want to say that your humble enthusiasm is so refreshing and sweet to me! I love how you are open to advice and and new ideas. Thanks for starting this thread.

I have a brilliant friend who is always sharing a line from William Blake's poetry or a literary reference, and most of the time, I have had no exposure to what she's talking about. She doesn't laugh at me, tho, she just uses those things she's learned to illustrate her point--so beautifully. I'd love to have those kinds of references at my fingertips, but honestly, I am too intimidated and, frankly, too lazy, to plunge in there. I spend a good deal of time wishing my life would change but little time digging in and working to change it.

So, when I come across someone who has high aspirations and the willingness to do the work it takes to meet them, I feel encouraged and convicted; thanks for "nudging by example!":D I'm sure your self education will be rich and blessed, and I think it's beautiful that you are deepening your own internal storehouse so you can better provide a meaningful, useful and lovely education for your kids. That's really quite loving of you.

If you take this back to classical education, as a PP said, you have to look at how we acquire knowledge. You need some "pegs" on which to put the information. Once you have the pegs and you can start picking up more information from those around you and from what you read, it's like a snowball rolling downhill, it just keeps gathering more and more information all the time.

Some of this will be repetitive from PP:

I would suggest memorizing a timeline or at least reading a comprehensive book on world history. Most other knowledge can be tied to history somehow, so it is a good way to categorize information in your brain.

Get one good weekly news magazine or newspaper and start reading it. Look up what you don't understand. Be willing to not master the information, it will repeat itself, and you will pick it up over time.

Pick an area that you want to start learning more about and start. Use that one area to teach yourself the tools of learning. Figure out the grammar, then organize that information and wrestle with it, and then tell someone about it. I sometimes write papers on things I want to learn about, not for anyone else, just for myself. You really master a subject when you can produce writing on it.

Don't waste time. Turn off the TV. Dh and I spend each evening reading or studying, except for one or two nights when we rent a movie (we try for one newer movie and one classic.)

Read quality literature. If you're not used to it, start with "children's classics." Start with a junior high reading list and work up. Read How to Read Slowly or How to Read a Book. Read The Well-Educated Mind.

And everything Jean in Wisc said. :D

and this might be an entirely self-servng answer...

but I think getting smart is nothing more than then being willing to learn and to seek information.

that's what I see repeatedly in those I consider smart and often that it what my own knowledge boils down to when someone thinks I'm being smart

when I don't have an answer - I go seeking it, in books, life, discussion, and so forth.

and I'm always willing to discuss just about anything with just about anyone. Or read just about anything. I can't begin to say how much random information I have from a conversation with a total stranger.

I think it all boils down to self education. Way back in the early days (14 years ago and still going) when I decided to teach my children Latin, I purchased the memoria press Latin for my kids and purchased a separate Latin progam for myself - The Latin Road to English Grammar. Latin became one of my favorite subjects. I worked through all three volumes of The Latin Road and when my kids were finished with the memoria press program I put them into Henle Latin and I worked my way through Henle with them. And just for fun I purchased Wheelocks and worked through that also.

When I was in high school, math was my down fall. I barely passed Algebra I with a low C. After Algebra I, I never took a math class again until college. Thank goodness the college I attended you only had to take one semester of math. The class I took was fondly known as Cowboy Calc. This was a remedial college math class that taught basic math. Well when may oldest son reached 8th grade and was ready for Algebra, I decided I would have to just sit down and learn it with him. I purchased Saxon Algebra and the dive cds and I would stay one lesson ahead of my son. I worked through the other levels of Saxon math doing the same thing - staying one lesson ahead. Now when the other children reach high school, teaching math is a breeze. In fact, sometimes I am in awe of myself with how much math I have learned.

So, yeah I think it all boils down to self education.

Blessings

Zoraida

:) That sounds like a great system you have there. :) You are another one that I find very intelligent. I guess all that reading and research is doing you good! :) Ay, I have SO. FAR. TO. GO, but hopefully I will live long enough to see some improvement. ;) :D hehe

Just out of curiosity, when you read for your own enjoyment, do you read in Polish or in English mostly??

My problem is the thinking part. I don't know how to do that very well. Just reading can get me far enough but not exactly to the point. I am learning this lately. Most people know a little about many subjects, but not many know few subject deeply and even fewer know how to think about and thorough it well.

I read mostly in English (no Polish libraries around here), but online I read in Polish a lot, occasionally in Russian.

Rosie

The difference is that the car breaks maybe once a year, but that cooking goes on every day!!!

Wow!! So many wonderful replies!! I cannot express to you in words how much it touches my heart that you all have taken time to advise me. I swear I got all misty eyed when I was reading these responses today. J

Read. Read widely. Whenever something interests you, Google it. Follow rabbit trails on books and topics that come up. Find something that fascinates you and consider it your new hobby.

I've gone from knowing pretty slim pickins about astronomy to the president of a club in 12 years. It started with my doing an astronomy unit with my 3rd grader and falling in love with the night sky. Last week I did a program at a state park and everyone was amazed at how I could "keep all that information in my head" and another club member said she couldn't believe I was brave enough to ask for questions--and answer all of them!!!! How did I do that? I studied it on my own by following rabbit trails of interest and reading and going outside at night.

I've always read the classics. I worked in a library in high school and I pulled the classics off the shelf and took them home with me to read. Then I started homeschooling and found the next "level" of reading--the Epic of Gilgamesh-Song of Roland-Odyssey and Illiad type of reading. We get National Geographic. I read books from a variety of areas--history, conservation (A Sand County Almanac was a favorite), simplicity, religious, cooking/nutrition and gardening as well as fiction/literature.

Read. Find life interesting and learn more about it!

Jean

Awesome!! Thank you so much, Jean. I am so encouraged by your own journey with astronomy. That is fantastic!! J Thank you so much for your wonderful advice. J

I would like to add that smartness/intelligence IS NOT the same as being wise. You can read lots more about that in the Bible, if you're interested.

Yes I agree with you that smartness and intelligence are not the same as wisdom. The first is a measure of what you have learned, the second is a measure of your capacity but I do believe the Proverbs that Ă¢â‚¬Å“the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdomĂ¢â‚¬ . God has proven to me over and over again as I apply His word to my life. He certainly knows what He is talking about. J My Ă¢â‚¬Å“smartnessĂ¢â‚¬ at this point I fear is pretty limited and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure of my capacity to learn, but I want to test it. I feel like IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m staring up at a mountain ignorance!! ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s intimidating and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m afraid of heights, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m determined to climb it and to better myself. J

And if you must watch tv, then check out your history channel and any science channels you might have. Then follow up with reading about what you've watched.

Some shows are good and some are fluff, but it could spark a trail for you to follow.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve never been much of a t.v. person and I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have cable, but I know what you mean about it sparking rabbit trails. My husband always has the t.v. on in the backround and sometimes Nova or some other type of educational programming will be on and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll get sucked in. hehehe I learned more from watching the Civil War documentary by Ken Burns than I ever did in school. J

There is some great recommendations on this thread. I used to think I was smart and sometimes I am but more often than not especially here I am left feeling like the dunce in the room. I find that even stuff I used to be able to read and understand I no longer can. Maybe my brain has been shrivelling up since I had the kids I don't know, but I am taking notes from this thread and we will see if I can change that and start getting smarter.

Ibbygirl, I just want to say that your humble enthusiasm is so refreshing and sweet to me! I love how you are open to advice and and new ideas. Thanks for starting this thread.

I have a brilliant friend who is always sharing a line from William Blake's poetry or a literary reference, and most of the time, I have had no exposure to what she's talking about. She doesn't laugh at me, tho, she just uses those things she's learned to illustrate her point--so beautifully. I'd love to have those kinds of references at my fingertips, but honestly, I am too intimidated and, frankly, too lazy, to plunge in there. I spend a good deal of time wishing my life would change but little time digging in and working to change it.

So, when I come across someone who has high aspirations and the willingness to do the work it takes to meet them, I feel encouraged and convicted; thanks for "nudging by example!" I'm sure your self education will be rich and blessed, and I think it's beautiful that you are deepening your own internal storehouse so you can better provide a meaningful, useful and lovely education for your kids. That's really quite loving of you.

Awww shucks! hehe :blushing: Thank you so much for your kind words. I feel a foot taller now! Thank you also for the encouragement. It does seem daunting, but I will take it one step at a time. J It makes me so happy to hear that something I have said has encouraged you. J And thank you so much for your kind words. They are very encouraging to me. I know how much I struggle with my own pride. That is the very reason I have it in my signature to be a constant reminder to myself what the cost of pride is. If you have seen any humility in me then I have to give all of the glory to God because it is all His doing. J

If you take this back to classical education, as a PP said, you have to look at how we acquire knowledge. You need some "pegs" on which to put the information. Once you have the pegs and you can start picking up more information from those around you and from what you read, it's like a snowball rolling downhill, it just keeps gathering more and more information all the time.
\

What a wonderful analogy!! ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s brilliant!!

Some of this will be repetitive from PP:

I would suggest memorizing a timeline or at least reading a comprehensive book on world history. Most other knowledge can be tied to history somehow, so it is a good way to categorize information in your brain.

This next school year will be my first attempt at following the guidelines in SWBĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s book. I bought MOH and will be beginning the 4 year cycle with my daughter. J

Get one good weekly news magazine or newspaper and start reading it. Look up what you don't understand. Be willing to not master the information, it will repeat itself, and you will pick it up over time.

Thank you so much for this. I needed to hear that. J I have bookmarked The Economist and it looks really good.

Pick an area that you want to start learning more about and start. Use that one area to teach yourself the tools of learning. Figure out the grammar, then organize that information and wrestle with it, and then tell someone about it. I sometimes write papers on things I want to learn about, not for anyone else, just for myself. You really master a subject when you can produce writing on it.

Don't waste time. Turn off the TV. Dh and I spend each evening reading or studying, except for one or two nights when we rent a movie (we try for one newer movie and one classic.)

Read quality literature. If you're not used to it, start with "children's classics." Start with a junior high reading list and work up. Read How to Read Slowly or How to Read a Book. Read The Well-Educated Mind.

And everything Jean in Wisc said.

So much great advice! Truly pearls of wisdom. Thank you so much. J

and this might be an entirely self-servng answer...

but I think getting smart is nothing more than then being willing to learn and to seek information.

that's what I see repeatedly in those I consider smart and often that it what my own knowledge boils down to when someone thinks I'm being smart

when I don't have an answer - I go seeking it, in books, life, discussion, and so forth.

and I'm always willing to discuss just about anything with just about anyone. Or read just about anything. I can't begin to say how much random information I have from a conversation with a total stranger.

Thank you for putting it so clearly. J

I think it all boils down to self education. Way back in the early days (14 years ago and still going) when I decided to teach my children Latin, I purchased the memoria press Latin for my kids and purchased a separate Latin progam for myself - The Latin Road to English Grammar. Latin became one of my favorite subjects. I worked through all three volumes of The Latin Road and when my kids were finished with the memoria press program I put them into Henle Latin and I worked my way through Henle with them. And just for fun I purchased Wheelocks and worked through that also.

When I was in high school, math was my down fall. I barely passed Algebra I with a low C. After Algebra I, I never took a math class again until college. Thank goodness the college I attended you only had to take one semester of math. The class I took was fondly known as Cowboy Calc. This was a remedial college math class that taught basic math. Well when may oldest son reached 8th grade and was ready for Algebra, I decided I would have to just sit down and learn it with him. I purchased Saxon Algebra and the dive cds and I would stay one lesson ahead of my son. I worked through the other levels of Saxon math doing the same thing - staying one lesson ahead. Now when the other children reach high school, teaching math is a breeze. In fact, sometimes I am in awe of myself with how much math I have learned.

So, yeah I think it all boils down to self education.

Blessings

Zoraida

Thank you so much for your reply. I am trying to stay ahead of my ddĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s math schedule by studying Algebra now before I have to teach her next year, but I wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t thinking in terms of the day to day. I love homeschooling because I learn and discover right alongside of her, I never thought of getting a few days ahead! hehehe Thanks so much for the suggestion. J