Menu

Liberal Christians--what do you use to teach Bible/religion?

LanaTron

I know there are a few of us on this board who are Christian, but not conservative...

If you teach Bible/religion in your home school, what materials do you like?

I have a test copy of Classical Academic Press' Bible for Children (it's called something else now), and I really like the way it's layed out. But, the first few lessons on the creation story present that story as a literal seven days, etc. (There's other stuff along in the book, too.) This doesn't jibe with my theology, and of course I could use it for discussion points with my dc. But it made me ponder what other non-conservative Christians use.

Thanks.

Edited by LanaTron
added more info.

I'm Anglican and I'm not sure what to do. We've read from the Good News bible and I have an activity book I picked up at a local store that has some nice summaries and activity sheets for some of the better known parts of the Bible.

I'm also sort of thinking of maybe finding some Bible stories to go along with Philosophy of Kids to inspire some question and thought about it.

I'm using stuff I've learned in my Education for Ministry course (I'm starting my last year this September. :() Not too much (10 might be too young for a discussion of four-source theory :)) but enough to give my kids an impression of the discussion and scholarship behind the Bible.

I want to do something with prayer, the different kinds of prayer, the demands of certain prayers...Stuff to get away from the prayers-as-magic-wishes thing I see a lot of.

We are All Made of Stardust is a great companion piece to the first creation story that gives a child a good understanding of the Big Bang and an inkling of how old the universe is. For science, it's a very spiritual program and is really great for mainstream and liberal Christians.

My kids are younger, but we often just read what is assigned (we use Sonlight) and will talk about how different people have different opinions about this particular topic or that particular topic and then have very good talks about it.

Dawn

We are Methodists. I suspect that although we are very conservative politically, we may fall into the category of "Liberal Christians".

We use The Message, and incorporate Christian Literature into their schoolwork. We do not trust "Christian" curriculum, because much of it pushes agendas that are not so much Christian as denominational. Rather than use these curriculums, we simply incorporate Christian education with their academics.

We attend Sunday school and encourage them to join in our prayer life and activities in the Christian community. We endeavor not to miss any "teachable moments" in our lives. There are numerous opportunities for the children to live their faith, but publicly and privately.

We encouraged our son to complete the Protestant education program within scouting this year. We take advantage of all such opportunities. Our son's scout troop meets at the local Catholic church, and the boys come from all denominations. This troop is well led by a diverse group of mature, devoted Christian fathers. We look for groups like this for our family, because we find these groups provide our children with the best examples of appropriate interactions within the body of Christ.

We do belong to a Christian home-school co-op, and most of the families who participate are what you would probably describe as "conservative" Christians. We work hard not to rock their boat, but we are in no danger of becoming assimilated. Theirs is but one more point of view which I expect my children to understand and respect, but not necessarily adopt.

It is my hope that my children will mature into people who can go anywhere, and associate with anyone they choose, without causing strife or incurring harm.

Edited by Elizabeth Conley

Though we're not officially Christian, we have been attending a Unity church lately (decidedly liberal), and they frequently use a translation of the Bible called The Message. One day when picking my dd up from her Sunday school class, I noticed a children's version of The Message on a table. I didn't have time to read any of it in detail, but I did pick it up and flip through it and it looked really great. Simplified, illustrated stories to make it kid-friendly, and I've heard enough from the grown-up, original version of The Message to believe it would suit our needs a lot better.

Don't know if that's any help to you, because it is a Bible and not a Bible study program, but I thought I'd mention it. I don't know how The Message handles the Genesis story, because our Reverends tend to focus more on the Psalms and the New Testament. Also, it's definitely for younger kids, so it wouldn't work for your older children.

I was just browsing at amazon, and found it:

http://www.amazon.com/First-Message-Amazing-Stories-Bible/dp/1600062350/ref=pd_sim_b_3

And a devotional for kids:

http://www.amazon.com/My-First-Message-Devotional-Bible/dp/1576834484

And a book of stories of Jesus:

http://www.amazon.com/First-Message-Stories-Jesus-Read-Along/dp/1600062342/ref=pd_sim_b_6

We haven't found anything we are comfortable with that doesn't need a great deal of editing on our part. As a result we are working our way through the Bible hitting on the big stories and openly discussing them from there.
:iagree:

That's the main reason why we use the Bible so much. We use the Message, not because we think it's the most accurate, but because we think it is the easiest for the kids to read and easily understand. As long as we're standing by with good explanations, it's a trustworthy "Christian Primer".

I'm tempted sometimes, when I see how cheap "Christian" curriculum is. Then I see who the publishers are, and I back away. Better to always be thinking about ways to help our children in their Christian walk. It's been good for all of us.

" I noticed a children's version of The Message on a table. I didn't have time to read any of it in detail, but I did pick it up and flip through it and it looked really great. Simplified, illustrated stories to make it kid-friendly, and I've heard enough from the grown-up, original version of The Message to believe it would suit our needs a lot better. "

The adult version works great for my kids, 10 & 13.

They use the NIV for memory verses, and The Message for casual reading.

Oy! I always thought of myself as a conservative Christian until we moved to where we live now. Not sure exactly what that means, but I do know I am not nearly as conservative as the conservatives I encounter here.

Having said that, a Bible curriculum has been a problem. I too cant find one I am comfortable with. Believe it or not, I have used some of Sandi Queen's bible studies. They are way more conservative than I am, but I have edited them and used some things as a spring board for discussion. Editing is the key word here. Every single program I have found, I have edited.

Wish I could come up with a title, but like I said, I havent found the ideal one yet. Just ones I can tolerate with much editing, adding, and overlooking.

I have a Lutheran friend who likes the materials from Concordia Publishing House.

I'm Catholic so I have no personal experience with this curriculum.

Edited to fix broken link.

But it's quite conservative, coming from the LC-MS perspective.

I wonder whether Augsburg has children's materials? They are from the ELCA perspective, so generally quite a bit more liberal.

Check with the Unitiarian-Universalists. They have some good materials.

As a Liberal Baptist.. in Alabama

yeah, who knew?

I let mine get Bible-based stuff at church, We have a very progressive church and we are very involved, so I sort of keep a check on what they are covering and talk about my own searches and questions.

I focus on other religions, such as Buddhism and Earth-Centered Religions.

In Ancient history, when we encounter stories about floods, and future leaders floating in baskets in rivers... I point that out and we compare and contrast.

And lots of different creation stories.

cheers,

~Christine ( a Baptist, Buddist, Witch) in Alabama

We use the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd program. I love it, the kids love it. Its rooted in the Bible, the liturgy of the church and the teaching principles of Maria Montessori. Its used by Anglican, Episcopalian, Methodist, Menonite and non-denominational groups.

I'm Catholic and discovered this program because I wasn't thrilled with what they were doing at my parish. I ended up getting trained, along with a couple other women, and we started the program at our parish. Many people do this in their homes, as well. I just love the respect the program has for the child. CGS encourages kids to go deep into the Mystery and come up with discoveries on their own, so they own it. Those wonderful "ah-ha!" moments. They encourage kids to become contemplative.

CGS is loved by conservatives and liberals alike, since its what we all agree on. Its taken straight from the bible, and no one is supposed to give their own slant on it. The training is fabulous and has been amazing for me on my own spiritual journey.

If you're intrested in finding an Atrium (the name they use for classroom, or rather, prepared setting), or more informatin, go to their website: http://www.cgsusa.org/

Kelly

Edited by kellycbr
I need another cup of tea:)

We use the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd program. I love it, the kids love it. Its rooted in the Bible, the liturgy of the church and the teaching principles of Maria Montessori. Its used by Anglican, Episcopalian, Methodist, Menonite and non-denominational groups.

I'm Catholic and discovered this program because I wasn't thrilled with what they were doing at my parish. I ended up getting trained, along with a couple other women, and we started the program at our parish. Many people do this in their homes, as well. I just love the respect the program has for the child. CGS encourages kids to go deep into the Mystery and come up with discoveries on their own, so they own it. Those wonderful "ah-ha!" moments. They encourage kids to become contemplative.

CGS is loved by conservatives and liberals alike, since its what we all agree on. Its taken straight from the bible, and no one is supposed to give their own slant on it. The training is fabulous and has been amazing for me on my own spiritual journey.

If you're intrested in finding an Atrium (the name they use for classroom, or rather, prepared setting), or more informatin, go to their website: http://www.cgsusa.org/

Kelly

That looks wonderful! Montessori seems to be making some different inroads into the church. There was a Godly Play seminar (again based on Montessori) I had hoped to go to here a month ago. Alas, I missed it. :( I might have to point this program out to my minister.

How about just reading the bible and only the bible? Then you don't have to wade through other people's interpretations of it.

I read The Living Bible translation to the kids. I think there's even a The New Living Bible translation out there. The Living Bible translation reads just like a book. It's not affiliated with any particular church. It's just a translation that uses current language. No "thou's" or "wherefores" in it.

Just read the actual text of the bible and discuss what you've read with the kids and forget about study guides that end up being contrary to your beliefs.

Why not just use the Bible itself? Read with them and discuss what the passages seem to be saying...inductive study is an extremely good way to teach not just Bible, but all forms of literature, and can help foster good study skills.

I would like to pose an honest and open question to you because it has been raised in conversation very recently among some friends and me...What defines a liberal Christian? How would you say that your theology differs from conservative Christianity?

Kelly

The Protestant spin on CGS is called Godly Play and has been developed by Jerome Berryman. It is excellent. The idea here is that children learn to engage with the scriptural texts through a liturgy-based model, rather than "classroom" model.

We used this in the church where I was religious ed director and then at home after we left the church. You can see more here: http://www.godlyplay.org/

My break with the church was extremely traumatic, so I did nothing with the boys concerning religion or the texts for several years, besides honoring the liturgical seasons at home, Advent, Epiphany, etc. in small ways.

Now that my children are older, I intend to use the the material published by the Bible Literacy Project, mentioned by someone here earlier in the thread.

I also love Huston Smith's work, and have been reading his Illustrated World Religions with my boys.

http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Worlds-Religions-Wisdom-Traditions/dp/0060674407/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243366324&sr=8-3

N

I would like to pose an honest and open question to you because it has been raised in conversation very recently among some friends and me...What defines a liberal Christian? How would you say that your theology differs from conservative Christianity?

Maybe what I meant is "non-fundamentalist."

I am not conservative politically, first of all. I am center-to-left on social issues, but more to the right on fiscal issues.

Secondly, I do not believe that the Bible is the absolute final authority on spiritual matters, or that it is the absolute word of God. I do not believe in a literal seven-day creation. I don't think it's my job to get others to convert to Christianity. I think that whether or not Jesus was actually resurrected is not important...the idea behind it, i.e., that God is so powerful that death can be overcome, is what is important.

That is just off the top of my head. I don't know if that is what "defines" the term liberal Christian, but I know those are typically not the beliefs of those who call themselves conservative Christians.

HTH

I was afraid for a minute there that SpyCar and myself were alone on this board. :tongue_smilie:

I definately have many things to peruse now, including just reading the Bible, as a few of you mentioned.

Thanks, and keep the suggestions/conversation going; I'll check back later tonight or tomorrow!

Watching this thread with interest and about to go check out some of the links...

We're UCC, and up until now we've just done Bible stories (The Pilgrim Book of Bible Stories is what we've used this year) and my oldest son reads to himself sometimes from the NRSV (which I like as as translation and also find very readable for younger kids who are strong readers). But I'd like to do something more formal and academic for my oldest next year. I may go with just giving him passages to read and discussing them together, though, pulling in some stuff from adult commentaries and references that I have.

For a Bible,

I would look at the Access Bible, It is considered by lots of scholars to be a good translation back to the Greek and Hebrew source texts rather than translations of translations. ANd there is historical context at the beginning of the books along with reference notes.

It also includes the Apacrypha. ( spelling ?)

By way of introduction and not limitation, our family is catholic and jewish and quaker with a hefty dose of Episocopalian priests as well .Within two generations no less. That is a long story for another post. Dd has been exposed to all three in her life and these are some of the resources that have helped us in trying to figure out how to live a Judeo-Christian life . Oxford University Press has several study bibles that are reflective of contemporary scholarship. http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Bibles/StudyBibles/RevisedEnglishBible/?view=usa&ci=9780195290004 Isaac Asimov for the budding biblical archeologist-certainly. http://www.amazon.com/Asimovs-Guide-Bible-Historical-Testaments/dp/051734582X I love this resource and we are using it right along with the Oxford Catholic Bible. Cultural anthropology and sociology are tools of the trade as well. I took several classes from this author and must say his books are superb for examining scripture without the burden of ethnocentricism.

http://www.amazon.com/Social-Science-Commentary-Synoptic-Gospels-Malina/dp/0800634918 This book by Katherine Paterson is just lovely for a young teen/late adolescent. http://www.amazon.com/Who-Am-I-Katherine-Paterson/dp/061392536X/ref=ed_oe_h I did not like similar books written for catholics and I must say this book is one of my favorites for framing discussions about applying virtues, values and love to all our interactions with others. She wrote several other books for young people that are fiction which are all great books for young people. Another author ,whose work is accessible to a young person , Father John Dear ,a Jesuit and peace activist certainly might be another option. I just finished his bio and what a life! I hope some of these suggestions work for your family. It is another of those queries I have hoped for as I have been waiting to share what has worked in our home. If you have not read this, it might also serve as a link for discussions between the two of you regarding the Bible and everyday practice .

http://www.amazon.com/If-God-Love-Rediscovering-Ungracious/dp/0060816155/ref=pd_sim_b_1 We have several other books that we have enjoyed but these are falling apart from being read, dogeared , written in and experienced. Thank you for posting this inquiry so I could share some of the resources we have enjoyed.

I enjoyed reading the Good News Bible as a child. I like the basic line pictures and clarity of the text. I do like balancing it with the poetry and lyricism of the King James version. My daughter borrows children's books from the church library. She goes to Sunday school and Vacation Bible School. We listen to the Wee Sing Silly Songs Bible songs, too.

Of course, she's only 4. :)

By way of introduction and not limitation, our family is catholic and jewish and quaker with a hefty dose of Episocopalian priests as well .Within two generations no less. That is a long story for another post. Dd has been exposed to all three in her life and these are some of the resources that have helped us in trying to figure out how to live a Judeo-Christian life . Oxford University Press has several study bibles that are reflective of contemporary scholarship. http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Bibles/StudyBibles/RevisedEnglishBible/?view=usa&ci=9780195290004 Isaac Asimov for the budding biblical archeologist-certainly. http://www.amazon.com/Asimovs-Guide-Bible-Historical-Testaments/dp/051734582X I love this resource and we are using it right along with the Oxford Catholic Bible. Cultural anthropology and sociology are tools of the trade as well. I took several classes from this author and must say his books are superb for examining scripture without the burden of ethnocentricism.

http://www.amazon.com/Social-Science-Commentary-Synoptic-Gospels-Malina/dp/0800634918 This book by Katherine Paterson is just lovely for a young teen/late adolescent. http://www.amazon.com/Who-Am-I-Katherine-Paterson/dp/061392536X/ref=ed_oe_h I did not like similar books written for catholics and I must say this book is one of my favorites for framing discussions about applying virtues, values and love to all our interactions with others. She wrote several other books for young people that are fiction which are all great books for young people. Another author ,whose work is accessible to a young person , Father John Dear ,a Jesuit and peace activist certainly might be another option. I just finished his bio and what a life! I hope some of these suggestions work for your family. It is another of those queries I have hoped for as I have been waiting to share what has worked in our home. If you have not read this, it might also serve as a link for discussions between the two of you regarding the Bible and everyday practice .

http://www.amazon.com/If-God-Love-Rediscovering-Ungracious/dp/0060816155/ref=pd_sim_b_1 We have several other books that we have enjoyed but these are falling apart from being read, dogeared , written in and experienced. Thank you for posting this inquiry so I could share some of the resources we have enjoyed.

Oh, Elizabeth, thank you for sharing those resources. My Amazon list just grew longer.

Kelly

Here are a few books I've loved that come from the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd site: www.cgsusa.org, or from Amazon:

The Religious Potential of the Child: http://www.amazon.com/Religious-Potential-Child-Experiencing-Scripture/dp/0929650670/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243434057&sr=8-1

Listening to God with Children: http://www.amazon.com/Listening-God-Children-Montessori-Catechesis/dp/1886510148/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243434199&sr=1-1

The Good Shepherd and the Child: A Joyful Journey: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b_0_26?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the+good+shepherd+and+the+child&sprefix=the+good+shepherd+and+the+

You can find these books and more on the publications page at cgsusa.org. http://www.cgsusa.org/documents/Publications_Catalog.pdf

Hope this helps.

Kelly

Edited by kellycbr
typos

Neither...at current we are non-denominational, but I'm looking at an ELCA church near us. Don't know if this is strange or not, but Catholic doctrine/theology doesn't bother me so much, so I could probably use such materials.

I haven't read all the replies, but we use Journey Through the Old Testament and Journey Through the New Testament from Harcourt Religion Publishers. It IS a Catholic High School curriculum, but we use at home (DS is 10 & DD is 14). The only things that I have to "edit" are some of the assignments as they are designed for classroom use. Instead of breaking into small groups & discuss, we just discuss.

I like this curriculum because it addresses the different styles of Literature used in the Bible and how some texts are literal (letters) and some are not (stories). Each chapter does have a page about a specific Saint - like a biography - and ends with a prayer. There is information on the similarities - and differences - of Judaism and Islam. There are pictures/discussions on religious artwork.

There are also many, many Bible readings & discussion questions. We are just about finished with the Journey Through the Old Testament and I have NOT found anything that is objectionable to this Methodist family.

HTH! :)

I wish for a version of Education for Ministry for kids! I'm in my third year now, but remember feeling really angry somewhere in the middle of the OT year that no one had ever taught me that stuff before in all my years of churchgoing and studying.

I've been searching for this same thing for years, and I've finally decided that no program can beat sitting down with kids and reading the Bible out loud, talking as we go. I really liked the DK Bible illustrated by Selina Hastings for my grammar aged kids--good history mixed in with straightforward paraphrase of the biblical stories. My 13 yo now has a copy of The Message. Both my (older) boys like Steven Ross's graphic novels Marked and Blinded -- they're modern reworkings of the Gospel of Mark and Paul's life and letters--darkly illuminating is how I'd describe them--created some interesting discussions.

When my ds was very young (5 or 6?), we used the activity book/text Old Testament Days, which was a great introduction to the OT.

I taught in an ecumenical after school program that used the Gather Round Curriculum. http://www.gatherround.org/ I think it could be adapted to homeschool use. I'm Episcopalian and taught with Lutherans, Presbyterians, Methodists and Baptists, and we all liked it (an amazing feat!)

That was a scattered response!

Edited by Mary in MN

I wish for a version of Education for Ministry for kids! I'm in my third year now, but remember feeling really angry somewhere in the middle of the OT year that no one had ever taught me that stuff before in all my years of churchgoing and studying.

Yes! I'm sort of hoping Catherine might take the course when she's a little older but meanwhile I'm trying to use a lot of what I learned to inform our reading. But something like the first two years of EFM at least for teenagers would be absolutely wonderful!

Gosh, I wonder how many EFM folk there are heer?

Yes! I'm sort of hoping Catherine might take the course when she's a little older but meanwhile I'm trying to use a lot of what I learned to inform our reading. But something like the first two years of EFM at least for teenagers would be absolutely wonderful!

Gosh, I wonder how many EFM folk there are heer?

I did 3 years of it back in my 20s.