Menu

Ideal time for classes? Parents allowed in?

We're organizing some enrichment classes, and we're having trouble deciding when to schedule them. The classes are aimed at K-5 and take place in two classrooms, over a period of two hours.

What day and time would be ideal for you? I was thinking Friday from 10:00 to 12:00, but my DH pointed out that kids would start to get hungry for lunch and may not be at their best. He suggested early afternoon, but I know a lot of families with toddlers have nap time then. What do you think?

Also, while I have your attention, let me ask about parents in the classroom. Do you prefer being able to attend? Would you be offended if you were not allowed? We have one geography class where kids taste food from around the world, and if parents are allowed in, I get the feeling that the 20 kids we prepared for when buying exotic snacks will turn into 20 kids + 20 adults. Also, if parents are allowed into the classrooms, I think there will be at least some who bring their babies and toddlers along, which can be a distraction for the older students.

This is not a co-op of parent volunteers, if it matters. Teachers are paid for heir work by our organization, we pay for a bunch of materials and stuff, and kids are only charged $50/year per class. What would you do?

Edited to correct the use of the term co-op to classes. :)

Edited by Epicurean

The best time for us would be 9:00 to 11:00, on either Monday or Friday. We could do 10:00 to 12:00, but it would leave us with some awkward time to fill up in the morning - not long enough to accomplish anything, but long enough to feel like I should be doing something. 

I would prefer not to attend the classes, and would not be at all offended if parents were not allowed. But, I have older kids, I'm older, I'm tired, and I need the break. I suspect you might get some eager young homeschool moms who feel differently. One way to ease their suffering would be to invite all the parents to attend on a specific day to participate in an activity or watch a performance. 

If you don't allow parents into the classroom, you may have to make some exceptions. Serving food brings allergy issues into play, and you will likely have some kids with special needs who need parent support to participate fully or to behave appropriately during class. One way we handled this in the past was to allow parents to apply to be "classroom volunteers". We chose two parents per class, giving preference to those who had legitimate reasons for wanting to be in the classroom with their child. This also gives you the option to ask a parent to "volunteer" later on if their child struggles with behavior in the classroom. 

• Like 1

Our co-op has always met from 10 - 12 on Fridays. It's worked great for us.

I think based on your comments, I'd have a "no parent in the classroom" rule, knowing that there will be those for whom you will need to make exceptions (food allergy issues, young k'er who won't separate from mom, a discipline issue where you might want the mom there, etc).  So you might end up with a mom or two who needs to be there, but at least you will avoid the free for all of all of them. And that's important because some kids listen better when mom is not there, and some moms think it's social time for them and won't listen at all.

9-11 or 8-10, but you really can't call it a co-op.  A co-op is a cooperative organization in which parents have a role.  This is a class.  Nothing else.  The constant watering down of the idea of co-op leads to the demise of real co-ops, and it makes the people running a fake one look like they don't know what they're talking about.

Call it a class.

• Like 1

There's no such thing as a time slot that works for most homeschoolers.  My advice would be to carefully research what other activities are available in the area and choose the time that avoids the most.  Here, we have a lot of options and parents have to make tough choices about which ones to pick.  

I have two kids in that age range, but their siblings are all older.  I prefer activities that start after 10 and don't involve parent or sibling distractions.

I also agree with calling it a class or activity.  In running a rather traditional co-op, I've come across many parents wondering why they can't just deliver their kids to us to teach while they disappear for the day.  It's because we're a co-op.  (Though, to be fair, we do have ways to work that option for parents of teens. We just haven't really used it yet.)

My preference is 2-4 in the afternoon.  That allows time for morning lessons, lunch, and travel.  1-3 would also work but be tight.  If I signed my children up for a 10-12 class, I would not expect to accomplish much else in the way of schoolwork that day.   I would be reluctant to commit to anything earlier than 10 am because it would have me battling rush hour and public school traffic (a serious issue in my neighborhood).   My caveat is that by the time my oldest was school age, my youngest no longer napped.

I prefer an enforced no parents or siblings in the classroom policy.  Do you have a place, other than the parking lot, where parents and siblings can wait? This is especially important for families traveling any distance.  

• Like 4

I teach science classes to homeschoolers.  I ended up doing a survey on Facebook to see what time people wanted what classes.  It wasn't perfect but helped me make some decisions.  I will say around here NOBODY wanted to do anything before 10am.

My classes are drop-off but I allow parents to stay if they want to.  I've had a couple of new parents stay for the first few classes but most seem to enjoy the idea of being able to drop-off their kids and take a break.  There aren't a lot of drop-off options for homeschoolers around here.  

With the food thing, I would just write up some guidelines about the classroom that include something like "we prepare supplies/food/etc. for the number of students enrolled in the class.  Unfortunately this means that parents and non-enrolled students will not be able to share/taste/participate in activities"

I think the younger siblings hanging out is likely to be the bigger problem.

• Like 1

Mornings because moms with littles won't have to worry about naps.  9-11 would be ideal.  We have always steered away from Mondays and Fridays because of long weekend trips, etc. Definitely try to avoid Mondays because so many holidays fall on Mondays and it will make scheduling tough.  Tuesdays/Thursdays seem to be ideal around here.  If you are wanting to draw people in then pick the opposite day from your local classical conversations group so that moms don't have to choose.  I have taught for years and I prefer parents not be in classroom.  I hate to feel like I am teaching to the parents. I want to authentically teach to the kids.  I taught classical conversations one semester and I hated having an audience.  

Edited by Attolia

10-noon seems pretty standard around here.

I prefer no parents for sure. I'd be willing to make an occasional exception for a kid with special needs. I'd probably say something like, "These classes are for children who are ready for independent classes away from their parents. To help us minimize distractions and teach your children better, we don't typically allow parents in the classroom. If you have concerns, please reach out to us at email address." Sometimes allowing parents for a special final class or a final show and tell or something helps for some parents.

I was just talking about this with a mom of a kid with special needs though. She was interested in a music class for her kid. She called ahead to say, my child has a certain issue. Here's how he tends to interact, here's what I tend to do, here's why I think this will all work out fine if you'll let me be there for the first two classes and then slowly bow out. The director said, okay, sounds fine. The teacher then proceeded to give her a massive lecture about how she was parenting her kid all wrong and his diagnosed issues were all in her head and she would definitely not be allowed to sit in on the class. Oy. She was pretty ticked and would never use that teacher or provider again, obviously. A few days later, she was looking at another class, they said no parents allowed, firm rule. She was like, oh well, we'll consider it again in a year or two when he's more mature. Obviously the firm rule was better and she like, I get it, if there's no policy, I'm going to ask, but if there's a policy, no one should have to bend for my kid.

re: day/time -- just my suggestion, due to young age and even younger siblings:

Time: 9:00-11:00 or 9:30-11:30 would be my suggestion.

Day: Mondays or Fridays work esp. well -- a gentle start IN to the week, or a fun way to finish out the week

For my gr. 7-12 classes, I run a quick survey, and go with the day/time that works best for families. Older students have so many afternoon extracurriculars, that it seems like mornings fit more families. I've done every day of the week except Fridays as a result.  :laugh:  (Fridays doesn't work here, as it is the big day for the homeschool group:  PE/Park day in the a.m., and gr. 6-12 social activities in the p.m.)

re: parents in class:

Well, in our co-op, we typically have parents who want to drop-off students at co-op, which works great for my high school classes, but NOT for gr. K-5 ages, so you may need a policy that requires parents to stay on campus. (Way too many potential issues can erupt, even in a professionally-led class, so that's why I strongly recommend the "required to stay on campus" policy.)

If allowing parents to stay in class, you just need to make your policy very clear:
- parents are observers, not participants (so, no food for parents) (and no coaching their kids from the sideline)
- parents who stay cannot have other siblings with them (too distracting to the TEACHER!)
- limited to ____ # of parents per class (say, 2-3 at most -- depending on the room size)

One way to allow parents to stay in the class -- but in a limited and controlled way -- is to have a sign up for being that week's volunteer parent assistant -- stays in class to help the teacher as needed, runs any errands for the teacher, and is available as adult back-up in case of any emergency.

Good luck! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.
Edited by Lori D.

I’d prefer 2-4. We always had trouble getting back to schoolwork if we left the house. This leaves time for morning lessons and lunch. Honestly, though, if it’s something I wanted to do I’d make the time work and 10-12 would be fine.

I’d encourage you to call it a tutorial. I’d also ban parents because they’re worse about chit chatting than the kids.

Ultimately, I think you should run the classes in a way that worlds best for you. You’re most likely to find like-minded people this way and a good fit makes everything easier.

• Like 1

We only do afternoon activities if I can at all help it, my toddler is a morning napper and the day is shot if we don’t do school before lunch and/or she doesn’t nap. I agree with no parents/siblings, although having one day where they can come and see/share what the kids are learning would be pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk