Menu

Prepare for flooding in CA

Liz CA

Windy, dark, and rainy. 6+ inches so far. Roads look bad. Lots of closures due to flooding.

I accidentally liked this and did not want to unlike. Stay safe! I hope you have power through the day at least.

My in-laws are out shopping at Walmart, they are bored and used to being out and about in monsoon rain.

ETA:

Rain started again. Just looked out from the complex's corridor at the Guadalupe River and it is nowhere near crest point :)

IKR? We were used to heavier rain growing up. It's the winds that worry me. The rain is something I love but the winds are scary where we live. Stuff I tie down tight to heavy anchors still get blown away (like our patio umbrella) and the branches are starting to fall from the tree. One hit my window just now but luckily it was a smaller one and my puppy was not out at the time (he loves running out in the rain). Glad the river is not cresting yet.

We are getting sheets of rain right now. The temp was F58 at 6am this morning. It has warmed up so much. We have not had day time temps in the high fifties for a while. Right now, it's F60. No wonder the snow is melting in the Sierras - it's F43 in Tahoe.

Yikes! Please keep updating us that you are okay! I hope the power holds for you too.

It's the winds that worry me. The rain is something I love but the winds are scary where we live. Stuff I tie down tight to heavy anchors still get blown away (like our patio umbrella) and the branches are starting to fall from the tree. One hit my window just now but luckily it was a smaller one and my puppy was not out at the time (he loves running out in the rain).

Stay safe.

The wind gush is lower than forecasted thankfully. My in-laws are at Milpitas and wind gush there according to weather underground is low.

My unit is sheltered on all sides so the palm tree near to my patio gets little direct wind.

ETA:

Winds has started howling. Stay safe everyone and safe driving for anyone who has to be out today.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3

Everything is pretty OK here.

Our street has water in the gutters about 6 inches deep, but the sidewalks are still clear, and the houses are a little higher, so no one is in danger of flooding here.

The Guadalupe River is a foot higher (by my visual estimate) at Almaden and Malone than it was two hours ago, but it is no longer projected to flood today.  That is very good news for the neighborhood.

On the way home from church three right lanes of 280 south were badly flooded.  A car swerved into the right lane, plowed into about 1-2 feet of water, and lost control, ended up skidding off the road and up a muddy embankment.  Then he slowly backed down and settled in the shoulder.  I'd be pretty surprised if his engine survived going through that much water.  It was spewing up so high around him that you literally couldn't see the car at all.  The flooding was unmarked.  I called the Highway Patrol.

• Like 4

There is voluntary evacuation in Reno.

"3:30 p.m.

More than 1,000 homes have been evacuated in Reno as much of the Sierra's eastern front braces for the worst flooding in a decade.

Emergency officials say residents voluntarily evacuated a total of 1,300 homes in a south Reno neighborhood Sunday as the Truckee River began to leave its banks and drainage ditches started to overflow south of Interstate 80.

Truckee River flows should peak about 2 feet above flood stage in downtown Reno by Sunday evening.

They are forecast to crest about 6 feet above flood stage Monday morning in neighboring Sparks, where several feet of water is expected to flood an industrial area where 25,000 people work." http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/The-Latest-1-300-evacuated-in-Nevada-floods-10843733.php

My friend in Morgan Hill is posting pictures of her flooded backyard. The water is now just up to the house. She's pretty worried. Her pump is not keeping up.

Ugh, this does not sound good. Hope the water recedes before it gets into her house. It's such a terrible mess when there is flooding in a house, especially if it's river water with all the stuff in it...argh.

Just saw an update:

The Truckee River has flooded and the town of Nevada City CA is in dire straits

The Sac will be at its highest since 2006 and everyone hopes the floodplains will contain the various overflows

The Mukolumne River has flooded as well.

Donner Pass is closed because of flooding and they expect snowfall tonight as temps fall which will likely melt again during the higher daytime temps tomorrow.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

Looks like there will be a lot of rain in NO CA and a lot of Snow is the Sierra Nevada mountains.  Hopefully, CA has constructed some new reservoirs to catch the water from the snow when it melts and hopefully the drought there will end.  Stay high and dry!

My friend in Morgan Hill is posting pictures of her flooded backyard. The water is now just up to the house. She's pretty worried. Her pump is not keeping up.

There is a flash flood warning in effect until 7:30pm for Morgan Hill, Gilroy, San Martin.

"The warning said about 35,000 people were in the affected area, which is west of Highway 101 from north of Morgan Hill to south of Gilroy.

The warning is valid until 7:30 p.m. tonight."

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/08/breaking-flash-flood-warning-for-southern-santa-clara-county/

• Like 2

Looks like there will be a lot of rain in NO CA and a lot of Snow is the Sierra Nevada mountains. Hopefully, CA has constructed some new reservoirs to catch the water from the snow when it melts and hopefully the drought there will end. Stay high and dry!

Ha! Are you kidding? Don't even get me started! The powers that be were letting our precious water out of Friant Dam to make room for the water that may or may not come (sometimes we don't get nearly what is predicted) because they refuse to build more storage. It's enough to make a person sick!

And what's really bad about this storm is that it's so warm that it's robbing our "bank" - the Sierra Snowpack. In our area snow generally starts around the 5,000 foot level. With this storm they are getting rain all the way up to 9,000 feet. Which means the snow is melting and not keeping until spring.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

It's hard to believe we are living in the same state. It was 75 and gorgeous today in San Diego.Just shows you how enormous CA really is. We are supposed to get rain tomorrow, but I think only around a quarter inch. Stay safe everyone!

• Like 5

There is voluntary evacuation in Reno.

"3:30 p.m.

More than 1,000 homes have been evacuated in Reno as much of the Sierra's eastern front braces for the worst flooding in a decade.

Emergency officials say residents voluntarily evacuated a total of 1,300 homes in a south Reno neighborhood Sunday as the Truckee River began to leave its banks and drainage ditches started to overflow south of Interstate 80.

Truckee River flows should peak about 2 feet above flood stage in downtown Reno by Sunday evening.

They are forecast to crest about 6 feet above flood stage Monday morning in neighboring Sparks, where several feet of water is expected to flood an industrial area where 25,000 people work." http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/The-Latest-1-300-evacuated-in-Nevada-floods-10843733.php

This is so crazy.

The waterway for the Truckee River in Reno is huge.

A couple of years ago when we there there in the summer during the drought, it was basically a dry track, because Lake Tahoe had fallen under its natural rim so the main feed to the river was completely gone.  And now this.  Wow.

• Like 1

We were stationed in Sacramento in the mid 90's when a huge flood happened.  Sacramento basically became an island in a sea of water since so many levees broke and that part of the Central Valley both to the north, south, and west of Sacramento all was covered in water.  We just stayed watching the tv and doing what we could for those evacuated to our base.  It was scary.  Prayers and thoughts for all of you in harm's way.

• Like 5

Hope everyone is doing ok. Rain here stopped around 7pm last night and I don't think it rained heavily again in the night although my concrete patio is still wet. I'm worried for friends in North Bay/ Marin. And that's so sad about the Pioneer Cabin Tree!

• Like 1

Hope everyone is doing ok. Rain here stopped around 7pm last night and I don't think it rained heavily again in the night although my concrete patio is still wet. I'm worried for friends in North Bay/ Marin. And that's so sad about the Pioneer Cabin Tree!

Marin is fine. A little street flooding, and some downed trees, but nothing crazy. The Santa Cruz mountains seem to be the craziest spot. Our friend's road washed out in one direction and got blocked by a down tree in the other direction. They're stuck with no power and no road out. Thankfully, they have a generator and are stocked up on food.

• Like 1

Marin is fine. A little street flooding, and some downed trees, but nothing crazy. The Santa Cruz mountains seem to be the craziest spot. Our friend's road washed out in one direction and got blocked by a down tree in the other direction. They're stuck with no power and no road out. Thankfully, they have a generator and are stocked up on food.

Thank God. This is why it's so important to be prepared. Things can happen so fast. For much of the time we have no remarkable weather but when it hits, it often hits hard.

I heard Guerneville in Sonoma County (Russian River) is in danger of flooding again. We used to live closer to that area and it seemed to happen with some regularity.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

We were stationed in Sacramento in the mid 90's when a huge flood happened.  Sacramento basically became an island in a sea of water since so many levees broke and that part of the Central Valley both to the north, south, and west of Sacramento all was covered in water.  We just stayed watching the tv and doing what we could for those evacuated to our base.  It was scary.  Prayers and thoughts for all of you in harm's way.

So far greater Sacramento area is "okay." There are multiple road closures because of some flooding but nothing like the 95 - or was it 97 flood? I did not live in the area at that time but I have seen pictures.

However, tomorrow is supposed to be another installment of rain and everything is already saturated to capacity or beyond. Unfortunately, it seems it's not over yet.

Edited by Liz CA

Thank God. This is why it's so important to be prepared. Things can happen so fast. For much of the time we have no remarkable weather but when it hits, it often hits hard.

I heard Guerneville in Sonoma County (Russian River) is in danger of flooding again. We used to live closer to that area and it seemed to happen with some regularity.

Guernville is used to it. It seemed like the river flooded almost every winter when I was growing up nearby. Even as a kid I never could figure out why people were surprised.

• Like 3

We had quite the downpour for a few minutes when the cold front pushed in behind the storm. This was around midnight. I woke up DH just so he could hear it. It was like we were under a waterfall. 

Edited by idnib
  • Like 4

Everything is fine in the suburban south bay. All restaurants were open and doing brisk business in 2 downtowns last night. Same for starbucks and other coffee places. Local schools are open today.There was 6 inches of water on a street when we drove through San Jose last evening, and it was raining hard, but, nothing bad. We got some cool videos of local creeks almost full and raging water rushing through them - I cannot believe that last summer, these same creeks were dry beds during the drought.

• Like 3

Everything is fine in the suburban south bay. All restaurants were open and doing brisk business in 2 downtowns last night. Same for starbucks and other coffee places. Local schools are open today.There was 6 inches of water on a street when we drove through San Jose last evening, and it was raining hard, but, nothing bad. We got some cool videos of local creeks almost full and raging water rushing through them - I cannot believe that last summer, these same creeks were dry beds during the drought.

Yes, happened to pass over Walnut Creek yesterday and had to do a double take. It was much, much lower in December and almost dry last summer.

• Like 1

I believe the really bad one was in 97. Yes, it was over the New Years - Dec. 26th 1996 to Jan. 3rd 1997.  I had a brand new baby and was carefully monitoring the levees.  It was bad.  Blue Canyon got 29.73 inches.  We watched people and pets rescued from rooftops in the county north of us on tv.  I 5 was closed, Rt 50 was closed, I 80 was closed.  

• Like 3

Does anyone remember a bad one in 2005 or maybe 2006? That was just after we had moved to the US. I think there was major flooding in Napa at the time and several other areas. We lived in San Jose at the time and it was not too bad there. Then it started to become dry right after that until this latest drought worsened. Now this deluge but still no end to the drought it looks like. Definitely what OP said about feast and famine.

Does anyone remember a bad one in 2005 or maybe 2006? That was just after we had moved to the US. I think there was major flooding in Napa at the time and several other areas.

We remember the Napa flood in end 2005. My DS11 was a newborn. Napa has improved on flood control infrastructure since then.

People are out walking where I am. Parking lots, roads and sidewalks are dry now from the morning drizzle. It is quite sunny here.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember a bad one in 2005 or maybe 2006? That was just after we had moved to the US. I think there was major flooding in Napa at the time and several other areas. We lived in San Jose at the time and it was not too bad there. Then it started to become dry right after that until this latest drought worsened. Now this deluge but still no end to the drought it looks like. Definitely what OP said about feast and famine.

Yes, I remember downed trees and local minor flooding. I was living in the foothills at the time but the nearest town in the valley was affected with some minor flooding BUT we all went with no power for days. Had to fire up the generator and stoke the wood stove. Now I don't have a wood stove so an area heater would have to be run on the generator as well.

DH just got a new generator. Hopefully we won't need it.

• Like 2

Yes, Guerneville has had some flooding. The Russian river crested at nearly 5' over flood stage, has gone back down and is supposed to go up again. Petaluma has had some evacuations where the river flooded *and* the tide came in. Our area is dry, but many of the roads in Santa Rosa have flooded with enough standing water that you can't drive through. I don't know about the beach areas, but a 7' king tide is predicted this week. We have a couple inches of water in our back yard but decent drainage and a raised foundation so no water in the house at all. Driving is a bit crazy off the main roads/freeway.

• Like 4

Yesterday (Monday) was Homeschool Day at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  It was absolutely gorgeous.  The one mudslide that covered 101 on our way there was cleaned up and it was sunny all day.  It also seems to be the only break in the series of storms.  Around 3:30 when we left to head home it started sprinkling and then it began to rain in earnest.  Last night it began to rain hard enough that it woke up everyone in the house with the noise.  

The Guadelupe River at Almaden and Canoas Creek right behind my house are as high as I have ever seen them.  I am concerned about the Canoas going over at the Narvaez or Branham light rail stations.

The biggest problems are, on a statewide scale, that because of the extended years of drought many of our reservoirs are in such terrible condition that we aren't able to keep this water for future use and this rather warm rain is happening so high in the Sierras that it is washing away much of our snow pack that we depend on in the drier months.  Even if the flooding is less than predicted, and I hope that it is, this series of storms is pretty devastating for our state.  

To anyone out of state I would recommend a larger garden this year because produce prices could soar.

Stay dry & safe everyone.

Amber in SJ

• Like 3

Evacuations Ordered In Guerneville, San Anselmo As Flood Waters Rise 7:40pm http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/01/10/flash-flood-warnings-issued-for-north-bay-south-bay/

"Residents were advised to leave the areas below the 38.3-foot flood level in the lower Russian River area and reminded to take essential items such as medicine.

For those who do not have relatives or friends outside of the evacuation area to stay with, an evacuation center at the Santa Rosa Veterans Memorial building at 1351 Maple Avenue is providing shelter for those in need."

Flood sirens were sounding in San Anselmo as the Corte Madera Creek level rose to almost 13 feet shortly before 7 p.m., up nearly a foot in 10 minutes.

Residents in San Anselmo and Ross Valley were advised to either move to higher floors in their homes or to evacuate altogether."

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3

The total impact of this rain and snow melt will take a few days to assess as creeks and rivers are still rising even though the rain has turned into more of an occasional sprinkle.

When I drove home today (Sacramento metro area), rain came down from all sides and even with the wipers on highest speed, it was hard to see. The Yolo overpass looks like oceanfront property.

With the rain came the high winds and many trees came down across roads and roofs as well. We may not have snow down here but there a plenty of other hazards.

Evacuations Ordered In Guerneville, San Anselmo As Flood Waters Rise 7:40pm http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/01/10/flash-flood-warnings-issued-for-north-bay-south-bay/

"Residents were advised to leave the areas below the 38.3-foot flood level in the lower Russian River area and reminded to take essential items such as medicine.

For those who do not have relatives or friends outside of the evacuation area to stay with, an evacuation center at the Santa Rosa Veterans Memorial building at 1351 Maple Avenue is providing shelter for those in need."

Flood sirens were sounding in San Anselmo as the Corte Madera Creek level rose to almost 13 feet shortly before 7 p.m., up nearly a foot in 10 minutes.

Residents in San Anselmo and Ross Valley were advised to either move to higher floors in their homes or to evacuate altogether."

Flood sirens. I didn't know they had those too.

Just...stay safe, boardies. 

• Like 1

Hollister had some evacuations this morning.

"HOLLISTER (CBS SF) – The fast-rising waters of Pacheco Creek forced emergency crews to use watercraft to rescue residents early Wednesday in the Lovers Lane area near Hollister.

San Benito County Office of Emergency Services manager Kevin O’Neill said Cal Fire got a call around 2 a.m. from local residents reporting that the creek had overflowed its banks and their homes were being flooded.

Officials said 49 people required some kind of assistance to leave their homes while nearly 60 others were able to escape on their own. Livestock was also rescued from the flood waters."

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/01/11/residents-rescued-from-flood-waters-near-hollister/

"Vasquez and her family were taken by bus to the Veteran's Memorial Building in Hollister, where Red Cross set up a shelter for the evacuees. A few dozen people have been through these doors.

It could take a while before people are allowed back home. The ground is saturated and the water doesn't have anywhere to go."

http://abc7news.com/weather/more-than-100-people-evacuated-from-flooding-in-hollister/1697046/

Flood sirens. I didn't know they had those too.

I only knew about tsunamis warning systems. I don't think my city has flood sirens, just SMS alerts for flash floods warnings.

"San Anselmo Flood Horn

The Town of San Anselmo operates a Flood Warning Horn, located in the Town Hall tower. The horn is audible from most areas subject to flooding. The horn is sounded when flooding is imminent. Town staff will sound the horn with 5 blasts, a pause, 5 blasts, a pause and 5 blasts. If you hear the flood horn, move away flood prone areas. Seek higher ground.

Fairfax Flood Siren

The Town of Fairfax maintains a Flood Warning Siren. Protocol is to sound the flood siren when flooding is imminent, based on evaluation by town and emergency personnel. When the siren is sounded, residents and merchants are advised to proceed immediately to a higher floor or to higher ground. The Fairfax horn will also activate when the San Anselmo Horn is activated, even if the flood stage in Fairfax is lower than San Anselmo."

http://www.rossvalleyfire.org/news/entry/flood-warning-horns-and-sirens-san-anselmo-and-fairfax-1

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

I don't think San Anselmo flooded after all.  They lifted the warning around 9PM that same night.

That little downtown is right in front of the 'creek-now-river' so it's fairly vulnerable; still, flooding there is pretty unusual.  I don't think that creek has overflowed its banks in over 10 years, and it was maybe 10-20 years before that the time before.

I walked up from the Tamien light rail station midday today, and the Guadalupe River is VERY high and muddy--clearly carrying a ton of dirt washed out of the hills, and moving extremely fast.  I was surprised that it hadn't subsided more since the rain was so light by then, but it's working out a lot of hill water.  I hear that some of the trails through downtown San Jose are under some water but have not seen that myself.  The raingauge on Mount Umunum got 18+ inches of water in the last week--that's almost inconceivable.  All that stuff has got to go somewhere, and the Guadalupe is going to get most of it.

Some idiots decided to raft the San Lorenzo River (Santa Cruz) and get stranded in the middle, snagged on a waterlogged but I think still upright little sapling.  So selfish to take the first responders away from people in bad trouble like that.

There are a lot of trees down in the Santa Cruz mountains, and many blocked or semi-blocked roads.  I need to drive to Santa Cruz tomorrow, and even fairly major highway 17 has been opening and closing over and over, with downed trees and mudslides needing to be cleared.  The Lexington Reservoir has overflowed into the spillways for the first time in quite a while--so downstream the trails by the Los Gatos Creek are submerged in places.  The main thing to do right now, I think, is sit tight at home as much as possible while the trees fall down or dangerous ones are taken down, and while the mud settles whereever it's going to land, and stay out of the way of people doing rescues and roadwork.

The rains down here in Los Angeles have changed from the very gentle sort to sustained moderate downpours.

I've been hoping that perhaps we are drawing some of the storms our way and taking pressure off areas under flood threat, but it does raise alarms when the rainfall increases as I hope that's not the same trend in flood threatened areas.

Stay safe.

Bill 

• Like 2

And what's really bad about this storm is that it's so warm that it's robbing our "bank" - the Sierra Snowpack. In our area snow generally starts around the 5,000 foot level. With this storm they are getting rain all the way up to 9,000 feet. Which means the snow is melting and not keeping until spring.

I just read this NPR article As Rains Soak California, Farmers Test How To Store Water Underground http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/01/12/509179190/as-rains-soak-california-farmers-test-how-to-store-water-underground

"The idea worked. Over four months, Cameron was able to flood his fields with a large amount of water — equivalent to water three feet deep across 1,000 acres. It all went into the ground, and it didn't harm his grapes.

These days, Cameron's unconventional idea has become a hot new trend in California's water management circles — especially this week, with rivers flooding all over the state.

"This is going to be the future for California," Cameron says. "If we don't store the water during flood periods, we're not going to make it through the droughts."

Helen Dahlke, a groundwater hydrologist at the University of California, Davis, is working with a half-dozen farmers who are ready to flood their fields this year. "We have test sites set up on almonds, pistachios and alfalfa, just to test how those crops tolerate water that we put on in the winter," she says."

I imagine only panic when I read your posts because I know that flood waters can rise much more rapidly than expected or assumed. 

:unsure:

I think more people are prepared this time round compared to 2005. Debris were cleared from near the local creek and the storm drains near my home ahead of the storm. Yesterday's night rain was mild and it is sunny now.

It is supposed to be a sunny weekend ahead. Hopefully people who were evacuated can start going back to get the things they need as their homes are assessed for flood damage.

• Like 3

I imagine only panic when I read your posts because I know that flood waters can rise much more rapidly than expected or assumed. 

:unsure:

Not only can formerly dry creeks rise in a matter of hours but it can continue to rise when the storm is over. I thought I was good to go on a certain road but oh my - no. I should have brought my bathing suit along.

The rains down here in Los Angeles have changed from the very gentle sort to sustained moderate downpours.

I've been hoping that perhaps we are drawing some of the storms our way and taking pressure off areas under flood threat, but it does raise alarms when the rainfall increases as I hope that's not the same trend in flood threatened areas.

Stay safe.

Bill 

Rain has stopped here but the flooding has not. Even now creeks and rivers are still rising from the tremendous inflow of melted snow. If you look out my windows right now, it looks like a normal day with only a couple of clouds and even sun peeking through but low-lying areas and flat rice fields are flooding still and everything is saturated to capacity. West of Sacramento is a stretch of freeway called the Yolo Overpass - it looks like oceanfront property right now.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

Oh my, I need a happy dance smiley! Thanks for sharing. As long as people are not hurt I might not mind the next batch of rain so much.

• Like 3

What is the update on the flooding? We are still thinking about driving through California along the coast (Hwy 101) probably from Oregon to San Francisco area in a little less than 2 weeks.

There is another wet storm coming this next week. You will have to watch and see what roads are affected the day or so before you travel. They might be beautiful by then... or blocked, who knows. I hope you end up with a nice trip! I hope to make that drive with my kids sometime. Here is a site you can check: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/display.php?page=us101

• Like 3