Menu

Thursday is the last day of preschool, I feel like a heel

Janeway

I feel like a heel, completely. I do not like being a flake at all. I also worry daughter will change her mind.

Here goes. Every time you ask her how preschool is, she says she does not like it. The preschool got sold and it appears that they are not doing any music anymore and they have a calisthenics style PE class. They dropped drama and added in Spanish. Daughter gets in trouble most days for not sitting still and paying attention.

We checked and we can pull her out as of the end of the month. We won't get our deposit back, but we won't be held to any sort of contract. My only big worry is that once she has been out for a couple of weeks, she will get sad and just want to go back so she can see her friends. The preschool is in another town and I have not had a ton of luck making playdates.

So, my husband tells me this is just a big waste of money. And that she will learn to hate school from this bad experience. I suspect daughter is not developmentally ready to sit still and that the preschool has changed to expect more sitting still time.

I feel so stressed. I hate making this decision. And my husband says to just pull her out. I feel awful about telling them she is leaving and I am so anxiety ridden that it will turn out to be a mistake. But I guess we are pulling her out.

I am hoping for words of wisdom. I do not know any other kids her age so this is hard. Ok..the people she was friends with who are near her age are in kinder this year.

Really, the only thing I needed to read from your post is that a preschooler gets in trouble for not sitting still and not paying attention. That is all I need to know that the expectations in this preschool are not developmentally appropriate. That would be a sufficient reason for me to pull my kid out. She does not need to be made feel like a failure in preschool already.

ETA: Be upbeat about the decision. Don't make it about "no preschool anymore" - she just GETS to do preschool at home, yay!

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 27

Really, the only thing I needed to read from your post is that a preschooler gets in trouble for not sitting still and not paying attention. That is all I need to know that the expectations in this preschool are not developmentally appropriate. That would be a sufficient reason for me to pull my kid out. She does not need to be made feel like a failure in preschool already.

ETA: Be upbeat about the decision. Don't make it about "no preschool anymore" - she just GETS to do preschool at home, yay!

At home, she is learning how to read. Which she really wants to do. At preschool, they are doing coloring pages and are supposed to sit still and pay attention. Seems to me to be the complete opposite. Why do they think kids who are only ready to color pictures are ready to sit still like that? And how long can any child just sit still and color?

• Like 2

About five to ten minutes around here. Seriously, preschool is kind of useless if the kid isn't having fun. That's the sole purpose - friendly interactions, guided play, and a small bit of structure to keep young children busy.

If you need ready-made excuses (yeah I know that No is supposed to be a complete sentence but I'm a wimp), I love the Hectic Holidays reason.

"Our schedule is so crazy through the Holidays, we need to stop preschool for a while. After the holidays are over, we will take stock and see what works for us."

And if you don't specify Which Holidays, you can stretch that through the 4th of July for you and your 4yo..........

• Like 3

My DS went to pre-school one year and LOVED it. He had an experienced teacher who was great at classroom management while keeping things fun. The next year, different teacher, he hated it - it was too loud, too chaotic, and not fun. He wanted to quit. So, we quit. I have zero regrets, and he was quite grateful he didn't have to go back. Childhood is too short to pay money just do your kid can be miserable and get in trouble for being a kid.

• Like 1

Don't waste any energy feeling bad about it!!  My daughter (#4) went to preschool for 3 months before I pulled her out.  It really was a waste of money.  When you're homeschooling a house full of older kids, there's more educational stuff going on at home than there would be at a preschool.  I was doing so much more with her at home than they were (and preschool was difficult to swing - financially).

I don't think Kid #5 will go to preschool at all.

Don't feel bad.

• Like 2

At home, she is learning how to read. Which she really wants to do. At preschool, they are doing coloring pages and are supposed to sit still and pay attention. Seems to me to be the complete opposite. Why do they think kids who are only ready to color pictures are ready to sit still like that? And how long can any child just sit still and color?

She's probably bored!  This was our preschool experience, as well.  When I picked her up from school, they would tell me they were surprised by how advanced she was.  Maybe because we are a big homeschooling family, they figured the younger ones were feral or something.  They were shocked (or appalled - whatever) mine knew how to cut with scissors.  Um, how is she supposed to cut things?  Of course she knows how to use scissors!   :tongue_smilie:

But, if they can it is really easy on the teacher.  

Our daughter just took our grand daughter out 2 weeks ago...the school wasn't doing nearly the stuff we were paying for and our preschooler was bored.  She's back home with us and happy as a clam.  She goes outside daily to play..we put in a swingset and lots of fun outside toys, she has lots of creative time to paint, draw and build and there isn't any regret here...also saves us 530 a month...that goes along way in fun activities :)

SaveSave

Edited by TammyinTN
  • Like 3

My daughter went to play-based preschool.

A lot of the preschools here are not as play based at all.

My older son was only 3 years older (he is 11 now) and many programs got less play based.

Believe it or not a director told me they were losing kids for playing too much, and they changed to respond to parents.

I think or hope they were not to the point of kids leaving sad or getting in trouble for not doing a worksheet, though! That is outside of my experience and I would be very bothered to hear about it happening whether it was my child or another in the class.

Her preschool is not using a developmentally appropriate curriculum. Sitting for more than 5-10 minutes without some sort of movement should not be expected.

• Like 1