Menu

If you met your SO/spouse online

DragonFaerie

We had mutual friends IRL but didn't talk until I messaged him on My Space lol.

I would avoid match.com (someone I know had a bad experience as they were signed up as a prank by another party and match.com allowed it. Didn't require an email verification I guess??)

Maybe you could find one with a trial and then decide if it's worth paying? A long time ago I tried a trial (CatholicMatch or something like that). I had bad luck and gave up Lol.

Gosh, I don't even remember the name of the site now, but it was just chat rooms. They were divided by subject. We met in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy chat. So no, neither of us was looking for someone to date. It just happened. Now as we all look back on it, kids included, we're stunned I took such a scary chance to travel somewhere to meet someone from online. It's so not in my character to do something like that. But no, it wasn't a dating site. It was more like just getting to know someone in a group of people that regularly meet. Sorry.

J and I met on an online writing/roleplaying group. Our characters interacted a lot so we talked via instant messengers to plan things out and things led from there. It took several months and my literally and unsubtly seducing his character for him to figure out I reciprocated his feelings. We're awkward geek that way - or rather, as J puts it himself, he takes a long time to warm up to people to figure out he likes them as he's extremely demi and it takes almost a 2 by 4 to the head for him to figure out people like him in return and I'm stubborn enough to get through that. We've now been together 13 years now. 

The third adult in our house, A, met J via a horror video game forum. They knew each other online for years before J introduced us via a Skype roleplaying game J was running. A moved in with us several months later. That was...just over 5 years ago now.  [i was pregnant with F at the time, we had a long talk about that]. 

Love at AOL.

I was somewhat recently single, and very recently unemployed, pretty much doing nothing but hanging out with my family and chasing my toddler.  I had never "dated" in my life, and my younger sister thought it would be fun.  She finally convinced me to meet someone in person by agreeing to make it a double date.  I married that someone 8 months later.  She's still single.

Ok Cupid. It tends to skew towards the Geek/Nerd side of things. Met some really weird guys there, not going to lie. But then I met DH and as soon as I saw his picture it was fate, I just knew. 

Edited to Add: I think with Online dating you have to be willing to say "no" and block/ignore weirdos. Like the guy that sent me a message saying he wanted to worship my feet. Or the guy I went on two dates with who then cried when I said I just wanted to be friends. Or the one that yelled at me on a first date for not sleeping with him!  You have to sort through a lot of them. 

Edited by ktgrok

I moved to NH from CA and after a couple relationships that were not a good fit for me, I wEnt to our company's online dating site. I believe it was fairly new to the company back then. My husband and I were the first marriage from it. We have been together 30 years, married for 28.

In this day and age, I would be very careful about meeting in a public place, keeping people informed, and not trusting the person is actually single up front. That said, I have a good friend in her 50's that has used online sites for decades with success. She has met several men she had long term relationships with.

OkCupid. It was very mainstream in my (very techy) metro area. The various sites can have different populations in different cities.

Well, in that case, techy probably does mean a higher geek saturation, right? Not a bad thing, my husband a lot of my friends are total tech geeks. I just mean, not a lot of farmers on there, from what I saw. 

Thanks for all your responses.  I'm not sure I'm up for the challenge of weeding through the riff raff of online dating as it is, so I'm not really willing to pay so much for the privilege.  I maybe just be destined to be single for the rest of my life.  Might not be such a bad thing.

Thanks for all your responses.  I'm not sure I'm up for the challenge of weeding through the riff raff of online dating as it is, so I'm not really willing to pay so much for the privilege.  I maybe just be destined to be single for the rest of my life.  Might not be such a bad thing.

OkCupid is free, I think. At least it was back when I met my husband. 

• Like 1

Not helpful, but I met dh through an online roommate service. Wasn't looking to date, but I saw this picture & profile and thought that he seemed like a very nice man. We were married 14 months later. 

13 years later, he is still a great roommate!  :laugh:

Edited by Mrs. Tharp
  • Like 2