Menu

Made my evaluation appointment for DS16 today (gentle, please)

Clearly, any one of you may say, "It's about time!" Please don't flame me; I have agonized so long on the best course of action.

I'm taking DS16 for evaluations of LDs. Top contenders include Dysgraphia, Dyslexia, ADD. Or non-specific LD, maybe. When I first heard of dysgraphia, I admit I thought, "That is not a thing! That is an excuse for people who haven't been taught how to write!" And there is still a part of me who "prefers" dyslexia as a DX, because it is a known condition; it is recognized. But I guess I will have to sort out all those personal issues after the evaluation.

The one thing I hope to get out of this is that DS will be relieved; that he will be able to reframe his struggles as having a legit cause (and hopefully, some strategies to combat those steuggles). If I hear him call himself stupid one more time...

I also really like that they bring BOTH parents in for the follow-up discussion. I'm mostly the Lone Ranger when it comes to education and it would be a great benefit to have DH on the same page...and he also will clearly both draw insight about himself and be able to provide insight on our son due to his own (undiagnosed) struggles.

• Like 7

Clearly, any one of you may say, "It's about time!" Please don't flame me; I have agonized so long on the best course of action.

I'm taking DS16 for evaluations of LDs. Top contenders include Dysgraphia, Dyslexia, ADD. Or non-specific LD, maybe. When I first heard of dysgraphia, I admit I thought, "That is not a thing! That is an excuse for people who haven't been taught how to write!" And there is still a part of me who "prefers" dyslexia as a DX, because it is a known condition; it is recognized. But I guess I will have to sort out all those personal issues after the evaluation.

The one thing I hope to get out of this is that DS will be relieved; that he will be able to reframe his struggles as having a legit cause (and hopefully, some strategies to combat those steuggles). If I hear him call himself stupid one more time...

I also really like that they bring BOTH parents in for the follow-up discussion. I'm mostly the Lone Ranger when it comes to education and it would be a great benefit to have DH on the same page...and he also will clearly both draw insight about himself and be able to provide insight on our son due to his own (undiagnosed) struggles.

That is the main thing my son got out of his.

I think your timing is good. We'd had one of our kids evaluated ealirer but did it again at age 16 so any report would be "fresh" for accommodations for testing, college, etc.  Most of the results were unsurprising. 

I hope it goes well for you. 

• Like 5

Glad to hear you have finally made a decision and are moving forward. It can be so hard to make the jump into the waters of evaluation, but getting off the spot of feeling frozen with indecision is a great first step! I hope you and your son come away with a better understanding of how his brain works. Learning to use his strengths and figuring out what to do to manage his weaknesses- whether it is building skills or using accommodations- can really help him leave behind his feelings of being stupid. I didn't go with a full evaluation for my son  until he was 15yo. Was it later than I would have preferred? Certainly. Was it valuable at the time we did it? Absolutely. It started us on a path towards helping him to feel like a competent, contributing member of his family, social, and academic groups.

When do you go in?

Oh, and BTW- my son also plays Ultimate Frisbee!

• Like 3

That's great that you're getting evals! My dad was 12 with her evals, so you're not uncommon. How long do you have to wait? How does he feel about this?

The evaluation is next week, then the conference for results is July 12th. DS is negative about it. I do think he will feel better once they explain his strengths and weaknesses, but I have been navigating his negative feelings about academics for a while now. I think it will be an important factor for DH to understand the issues, because DS and DH have s good rapport.

• Like 2

Well it could be you won't get the results you anticipate.  That happens to!  It's common to go in thinking one label and come out with another.  So maybe just de-emphasize it?  At least he's cooperating.  That's worth a lot and something to praise him for.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 3

I knew dd17 had dyslexia as a child, but didn't get the actual diagnosis until she was in 9th grade and actually needed it.  Once the doctors told her what type of dyslexia she had, they started telling her "you also may notice you do this, that and this other thing."  She sat there in amazement, saying 'YES! Those are part of it too?  I just thought I was weird! LOL' 

Her diagnosis was so important to her, that she has a business card that the doctor wrote a note on and gave to me at her diagnosis meeting. She has it pinned to her memory board in her room.  It is almost the size of a bedroom door, full of fun pictures, mementos, funny things from friends...and a business card, that the doctor hand wrote her diagnosis on.   It means that much to her. 

• Like 5

I hope the testing is thorough and goes well, and you all get some answers. Since your DS is older he may have a lot of motivation to go through whatever treatments are recommended and take ownership of his progress.

Re:dysgraphia. I understand the thought process of disability vs teaching. Dysgraphia incorporates a variety of problems in different people. I'm sure you've heard the analogy of glasses wrt disabilities (you wouldn't refuse glasses to someone with a vision problem: for accommodation, remediation, understanding). Same with learning disabilities of any kind. Though we cannot see how your DS's brain and muscles are working (unless you get a functional MRI scan), they are working differently than yours or probably others. It's not bad, just different. And if your DS learns he isn't stupid (likely outcome) but instead his brain or body just works in a different way, he will probably have a great sense of relief. (Hugs).

(I'm not intending to be critical in my post but I'm on my phone so I hope it comes across as helpful).

• Like 1

I hope the testing is thorough and goes well, and you all get some answers. Since your DS is older he may have a lot of motivation to go through whatever treatments are recommended and take ownership of his progress.

Re:dysgraphia. I understand the thought process of disability vs teaching. Dysgraphia incorporates a variety of problems in different people. I'm sure you've heard the analogy of glasses wrt disabilities (you wouldn't refuse glasses to someone with a vision problem: for accommodation, remediation, understanding). Same with learning disabilities of any kind. Though we cannot see how your DS's brain and muscles are working (unless you get a functional MRI scan), they are working differently than yours or probably others. It's not bad, just different. And if your DS learns he isn't stupid (likely outcome) but instead his brain or body just works in a different way, he will probably have a great sense of relief. (Hugs).

(I'm not intending to be critical in my post but I'm on my phone so I hope it comes across as helpful).

You don't come across as critical to me. :)

Yes, I have heard the glasses for vision disability analogy. I accept it better, but I do have some hang-ups with that as applied to dysgraphia. I hope what I'm about to say doesn't sound jerkish.

The first time I ever heard the term dysgraphia, it was used by a HSer who, at least by my external observation, was a NON-Schooler. She taught her kid nothing. Then at some point her kid was diagnosed (or, IMO, "Diagnosed") as having dyslexia, dysgraphia, and dyscalculia. Of course, one never knows exactly what is going on in another family, but to me this looked 100% like, "I endeavored to teach my kid nothing and, to my surprise, he knows how to do nothing! Let's just say he's disabled in every learning category and feel better about myself."

Then, too, the dysgraphia websites I read a few years ago talked about how remediation often works to get the kid to functional writing skills. So, that is one place where the glasses-for-vision-disability analogy falls flat. I wear glasses myself. There are no skills I can learn that will allow me to throw away my glasses and see clearly. (I wish there were!) then, too, it is not a recognized learning disability in that diagnostic manual do-hickey. So, to be frank, a LOT of my early resistance to dysgraphia was my belief/fear that what dysgraphia really means is I did not teach my kid effective writing and organizational skills. It's also some sort of personal insult to me, I think, because I am a writer. It's really hard for me to understand how it's not obvious how a research paper should be constructed or whatever.

A lot of the LD diagnoses have a presumption that the student has been taught appropriately. I still wonder at this with my DS dyslexia. His "reading program" at school taught kids to guess words based on one or two letters of the word, and pictures. I taught him phonics after school but I still wonder. Once we started OG he picked up reading very quickly.

If you taught your DS, explained it different ways, worked with him, you take that out of the equation. Especially if you know what you're talking about.

I agree with the glasses (it's not quite so straightforward). There can be improvement in kids who are remediated with LD by using special techniques and studying or working hard. But maybe they help only to 50% of normal expectation. Maybe technology helps another 30% or whatever, but it may be a ceiling of ability. And, until it's been worked on, there may be no way of knowing. And maybe without glasses you are 20/400, and with them you can only get to 20/200, and laser surgery brings it to 20/100, but you still need them.

I think I'm confusing myself! :). It's all just theory until you know what (if anything) you're dealing with.

• Like 2

I'm just skimming but I'll throw in my two cents - speaking of vision, while you're in the business of evals, consider throwing in an annual vision checkup with a covd optometrist to talk over the possibility of issues and whether a full developmental vision eval might be warranted.  Where there are signs of dyslexia and dysgraphia, it would be a shame to overlook developmental vision issues since so many symptoms overlap (and it is not unusual to have both learning issues and vision issues - the nervous system is a funny thing, all connected).

What's the breakdown of typing vs handwriting look like?

Good luck with the evals!

• Like 2

I think DD was 16 when she got her CAPD diagnosis. That meant too many years of me saying, "How many times did I tell you?!!"

She would have also got a dysgraphia dx if she had been younger. The np decided not to give her that based on her age and her needs at the time, but in her report, she insisted DD get extra time. I always thought her bad handwriting was because she was s lefty. But it's not just that. She falls up the stairs all the time.

FWIW, I was a "gifted" student with bad handwriting and I'm still a klutz. My handwriting can be good with a lot of effort, but I bang into stuff and break things everyday. Today it was a new jar of coconut oil, and I rammed my head into a cabinet door, too. Ouch.

Dysgraphia often means other issues, either gross motor issues, visual issues, or ADHD.

• Like 1

This is responding to a previous comment, about websites or articles saying that with a certain program every student can make a certain amount of progress.

Well, a couple of things can be going on.

There are things that are good to do and can really help. But a lot of reputable websites do not promise a result. Maybe they give an impression, or mention success stories. And that is good, but it doesn't necessarily mean every single person gets that result. There is also an issue where what is seen in an OT office may not be replicated when it is time to take notes or something, that may be more demanding.

Then second, there are websites that are over-selling their results.

When you start looking at websites related to anything like a learning challenge, you can find promises of total success if you just buy a program. Or sometimes people are very devoted to a certain approach. Maybe it worked for their child.

Well, it does not always mean that if you just do the program, you will get the results.

But yes, it may say or imply that on the Internet.

I think "functional writing" is also a phrase that can mean different things to different people.

I have seen things talking about functional writing, and then realized "oh, this means being able to sign your name."

Where for me -- I think "functional writing" means being able to take legible notes in a college class, or being able to write legibly on a timed essay test in a college class.

So that is a communication issue, about just what is meant by functional, because what is funcitonal can depend on the needs of a specific person.

I have also seen functional writing defined as being able to fill out a job application at a place like McDonald's that might have a one-page job application.

So, those are some things that are really not obvious sometimes from reading things on the Internet.

• Like 2

I think you have a very skewed idea about remediation.  Remediation, whether it be with handwriting or reading, does not remove the disability.  Successful research based remediation typically involves direct and explicit, multisensory instruction to address the SLD.  All the remediation in the world will not take away a processing speed or working memory deficit.  Once a person has been remediated, meaning they are functional, any processing issues are still present and don't magically disappear.    

Once a dyslexic has been remediated, fluency speed is about the only way that you can tell that the person is dyslexic.  Reading speed is no small matter when one must cover multiple subjects in one day or a college workload.  As a result, DS uses audio books with immersion for school work.  For personal reading, he can read one book all year, but for school, the child must use audio with or without immersion.    

My DS was diagnosed dysgraphic when he was 8 years old.  He learned to type when he was 5th grade.  He worked with an O-G IEW certified writing tutor for two years.  My son's writing still needs help.  He may write a decent paragraph or paper.  It may even be better than other kids his own age.  That fact will not change the truth behind his writing.  His working memory deficits and processing speed challenges must be taken into account every time that he approaches a writing assignment.  He must start earlier because he is considerably slower.  If he doesn't use a computer, you will not be able to read his handwriting after the 1st sentence.  DH and I are both BSEEs who have spent a considerable time and money helping our son get the tutors that he needs.  Quite frankly, I find it hurtful when someone suggests that we are too lazy to properly teach or care for our son because he received an SLD for written expression.  My eldest sibling was blind and severely handicapped.  No one suggested that she place a book close to her face, squint harder, and try to read.  Dysgraphia is for real.

I just need to clear this up.  And I do hope that the testing goes well.  Good luck.

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 3

I think you have a very skewed idea about remediation. Remediation, whether it be with handwriting or reading, does not remove the disability. Successful research based remediation typically involves direct and explicit, multisensory instruction to address the SLD. All the remediation in the world will not take away a processing speed or working memory deficit. Once a person has been remediated, meaning they are functional, any processing issues are still present and don't magically disappear.

Once a dyslexic has been remediated, fluency speed is about the only way that you can tell that the person is dyslexic. Reading speed is no small matter when one must cover multiple subjects in one day or a college workload. As a result, DS uses audio books with immersion for school work. For personal reading, he can read one book all year, but for school, the child must use audio with or without immersion.

My DS was diagnosed dysgraphic when he was 8 years old. He learned to type when he was 5th grade. He worked with an O-G IEW certified writing tutor for two years. My son's writing still needs help. He may write a decent paragraph or paper. It may even be better than other kids his own age. That fact will not change the truth behind his writing. His working memory deficits and processing speed challenges must be taken into account every time that he approaches a reading assignment. He must start earlier because he is considerably slower. If he doesn't use a computer, you will not be able to read his handwriting after the 1st sentence. DH and I are both BSEEs who have spent a considerable time and money helping our son get the tutors that he needs. Quite frankly, I find it hurtful when someone suggests that we are too lazy to properly teach or care for our son because he received an SLD for written expression. My eldest sibling was blind and severely handicapped. No one suggested that she place a book close to her face, squint harder, and try to read. Dysgraphia is for real.

I just need to clear this up. And I do hope that the testing goes well. Good luck.

Listen, I have no idea what to even expect with remediation. I am extremely leery of being given the hard sell on some "program," because there is of course the implication: "surely you want your son to I prove as much as possible, right?" Well, right, but it's not the sky's the limit.

Part of the reason I have not gone this route despite many years of thinking there is one or more LDs there is that I really don't know how to parse out how much help is necessary. I don't expect him to become a journalist or an English professor, LOL. I just want him to know he has strengths, whatever they may be, and that he needs to work around his limitations.

Part of the reason I have not gone this route despite many years of thinking there is one or more LDs there is that I really don't know how to parse out how much help is necessary. I don't expect him to become a journalist or an English professor, LOL. I just want him to know he has strengths, whatever they may be, and that he needs to work around his limitations.

But Quill, there are many writers who are dyslexic.  Very successful ones. Avi, Stephen J Cannell, Sherrilyn Kenyon.... Being dyslexic is not really a barrier to being a journalist or an English prof...  

• Like 4

Your boy could totally become a journalist or English prof.  Have you read Road and Track magazine lately?  Even my DS knows that he writes better than that rag.  

Try not to worry about any hard sell about specific remediation materials for dysgraphia,  On the boards, the general recommendation is to seek a COVD eval to rule out developmental vision issues and seek a one hour OT eval to rule out specific motor/vestibular/strength issues.  

For accommodations, most people will point you to either typing, speech to text sw, or a combo of both.  The trick will be finding accommodations that are workable for your 16 yo.  As you know, 16 yo boys are not always willing to try new things, but the accommodations will help him.  Tech can also have a sharp learning curve, so you have to be positive and consistent.  

My DS sits in regular co-op classes and completes all the same work as everyone else.  The difference is that he types, uses an Echo Smartpen, and receives extra time on tests.  Sometimes, DS doesn't require extra time on regular exams.  He definitely requires extra time on the EOY finals and midterms.  Notetaking in the classroom is a real issue because he does not learn by writing info down like other people.  

• Like 1

But Quill, there are many writers who are dyslexic. Very successful ones. Avi, Stephen J Cannell, Sherrilyn Kenyon.... Being dyslexic is not really a barrier to being a journalist or an English prof...

Maybe not, but for DS' issues? Writing/organizing thoughts/making a logical written passage = not his strong point.

I recently finished helping him turn his rough draft research paper into something sensible and I'm telling you...I'd rather have a root canal.

Your boy could totally become a journalist or English prof. Have you read Road and Track magazine lately? Even my DS knows that he writes better than that rag.

Try not to worry about any hard sell about specific remediation materials for dysgraphia, On the boards, the general recommendation is to seek a COVD eval to rule out developmental vision issues and seek a one hour OT eval to rule out specific motor/vestibular/strength issues.

For accommodations, most people will point you to either typing, speech to text sw, or a combo of both. The trick will be finding accommodations that are workable for your 16 yo. As you know, 16 yo boys are not always willing to try new things, but the accommodations will help him. Tech can also have a sharp learning curve, so you have to be positive and consistent.

My DS sits in regular co-op classes and completes all the same work as everyone else. The difference is that he types, uses an Echo Smartpen, and receives extra time on tests. Sometimes, DS doesn't require extra time on regular exams. He definitely requires extra time on the EOY finals and midterms. Notetaking in the classroom is a real issue because he does not learn by writing info down like other people.

If he can have extra time on tests, that alone could be worth its weight in gold. He has tremendous testing anxiety and then his worst fears are borne out when his test grades are a 62.

He has head knowledge that blows my mind. He rattles off interesting things he learned in Biology or in History. These things, presented as a lecture, he absorbs no problem. But ask him to read All Quiet on the Western Front and he could just die. Ask him to write a competent analysis of it and...prepare to be disappointed.

If he can have extra time on tests, that alone could be worth its weight in gold. He has tremendous testing anxiety and then his worst fears are borne out when his test grades are a 62.

He has head knowledge that blows my mind. He rattles off interesting things he learned in Biology or in History. These things, presented as a lecture, he absorbs no problem. But ask him to read All Quiet on the Western Front and he could just die. Ask him to write a competent analysis of it and...prepare to be disappointed.

Your son has until graduation to work out the lit analysis.  Once testing is completed, you will know precisely what you are dealing with.  What are the chances of this kid being gifted?  I imagine that he is very smart.  Has he used mind maps at all?  I am on a mind mapping kick write now.  DS uses the free version of XMind for the pc and the Inspiration app on the IPad.  We love it.

Your son has until graduation to work out the lit analysis. Once testing is completed, you will know precisely what you are dealing with. What are the chances of this kid being gifted? I imagine that he is very smart. Has he used mind maps at all? I am on a mind mapping kick write now. DS uses the free version of XMind for the pc and the Inspiration app on the IPad. We love it.

There is a fairly high chance that he is of the gifted designation in IQ.

I don't know what mind maps are and AFAIK, he has not used them.

Ok, I'll just toss out something, and you can say hmm.  I think it's a lot to ask a man to go into evals like that and deal with ideas he's not used to (ADHD, SLDs, whatever) AND comfort his son AND deal maybe with implications that they came from his genes (I don't know, just extrapolating), etc. kwim?  And this is his SON, his heir, his pride and joy.

Things take time to come to terms with.  Is your ds going, or is the psych planning an hour later to have a meeting with your ds?  Me, I would consider having that first meeting with the psych, your ds, and you, THEN having a meeting with dad as part of it.  Your ds is 16, yes?  I'm not saying what you have to do, but I just think it's important that he get the chance to own it, to ask questions, to consider it PRIVATE, etc.  This is very personal stuff for him that has been affecting him a lot!  He may need some time to digest it, ask questions, etc.  

It's sad that he feels dumb.  I hope the evals are able to sort that out.  I would think they will.  Have you done other basic things as well like having his eyes screened by a developmental optometrist, getting his hearing checked and a screening done for APD, etc?

I'm not sure how the whole writing thing came up, but I hope at some point you'll get connected with some positive materials that help you see how his brain works.  The Eides have a book Dyslexic Advantage that helps a lot of people across labels, not just with dyslexia.  You might get it from the library, just to kill time.  It has some useful profiles.  

Usually the psych will also talk about STRENGTHS.  This is a really good age to shift to that kind of focus.  It helps the transformation and blossoming process.

• Like 5

I think a really big thing to understand about remediation is what Heathermomster mentions - it doesn't fix the problem, but brings them (hopefully) to a place where they can function.  

With our LD diagnoses, I know that I was excited to get help in addressing the concerns I'd had for years - and it was and is AMAZING the growth we've seen.  BUT - I have also had a couple of years to come to terms with the fact that an LD is an LD, even when remediated.  It doesn't go away, but having tools to help a child work around and stretch to their best in areas of struggle is a big helpful thing.

• Like 2

Maybe not, but for DS' issues? Writing/organizing thoughts/making a logical written passage = not his strong point.

I recently finished helping him turn his rough draft research paper into something sensible and I'm telling you...I'd rather have a root canal.

But he's still young. I know 2 people who at 16 weren't able to write more than a very cursory basic paragraph. Both dyslexic. Both blossomed big time. Some boys esp it can take time for that brain development to really kick in. The skills they have at 16 are not at all predictive of their skills in 3-4 or 10 years.  Of the ones I'm thinking of, one spent about 10 years of his career being paid to write business & press reports. He really wanted to go back & chuck his work at some old English teachers who made him feel like he was useless at language arts because he too struggled with your standard hs lit analysis & the 5 para essay. 

The 3rd who couldn't write anything at 16 is still my work in progress so I don't know how it will turn out LOL 

& yes, I'd definitely consider mind mapping.  For some, a big part of the hurdle is understanding that their creativity might not be linear, might not be logical, might look like a totally big jumbled mess at first. Some people do not write in order.  They're not linear thinkers. They can learn this but they need the right approach to translate their thoughts into a linear output. 

I write. I really don't like teaching writing. I mean, I do. But I find teaching writing extremely difficult because I don't get why people find it hard. It seems so darned obvious to me. So I know what you mean about the root canal thing. It's tough :) But just because my learners don't write like I do, doesn't mean they can't. They just needed a completely different approach. 

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 3

Ok, I'll just toss out something, and you can say hmm. I think it's a lot to ask a man to go into evals like that and deal with ideas he's not used to (ADHD, SLDs, whatever) AND comfort his son AND deal maybe with implications that they came from his genes (I don't know, just extrapolating), etc. kwim? And this is his SON, his heir, his pride and joy.

Things take time to come to terms with. Is your ds going, or is the psych planning an hour later to have a meeting with your ds? Me, I would consider having that first meeting with the psych, your ds, and you, THEN having a meeting with dad as part of it. Your ds is 16, yes? I'm not saying what you have to do, but I just think it's important that he get the chance to own it, to ask questions, to consider it PRIVATE, etc. This is very personal stuff for him that has been affecting him a lot! He may need some time to digest it, ask questions, etc.

It's sad that he feels dumb. I hope the evals are able to sort that out. I would think they will. Have you done other basic things as well like having his eyes screened by a developmental optometrist, getting his hearing checked and a screening done for APD, etc?

I'm not sure how the whole writing thing came up, but I hope at some point you'll get connected with some positive materials that help you see how his brain works. The Eides have a book Dyslexic Advantage that helps a lot of people across labels, not just with dyslexia. You might get it from the library, just to kill time. It has some useful profiles.

Usually the psych will also talk about STRENGTHS. This is a really good age to shift to that kind of focus. It helps the transformation and blossoming process.

I have that book and several others. I also have a pretty impressive example in my nephew, who is almost 30 now, but had similar issues in school. He is an absolutely amazing young man.

The way the appointments work is how the organization does it, standard. The first appointment is DS doing a bunch of tests and answering questins; I am there, but maybe not with him the whole time; not sure. The second appointment is where they explain what was revealed and recommend a plan of remediation. Their requirement is for both parents to attend this. I am very glad this is the procedure, and I think it is probably what they have developed after having many instances of spouses disagreeing about the results and/or the remediation. I'm glad he will be hearing the same thing I hear.

I have never had special vision or hearing tests; just standard Lions Club type vision and hearing screenings.

• Like 1

So then is there a 3rd appointment with psych plus parents plus teen?  

Yeah, it would be good to get an actual vision exam, just the $60-100 annual visit kind of thing, but do it with a developmental optometrist that you find through COVD.  You can ask them to *screen* the developmental vision stuff.  Dyslexia is not considered a vision problem, but you can have both vision problems *and* SLDs, yes.  Ironically, my dd with ADHD needed VT and my ds with SLDs so far has not, go figure.  But it's just one of those things you could do.  Typically takes 2 weeks to get in, and it would give you some same day, useful information.  I'm kind of shocked they'd take you for a psych eval when he's never even had his eyes checked beyond a screening.

On the hearing, I took my kids to the university audiology (big state school, big audiology program) and got a basic audiology eval *and* the SCAN3 screening portion for APD for just $35.  That makes it another easy thing for me to recommend.  If you can get it at that pricepoint, it's good info.  My dd does not push over to an APD diagnosis, but she is *1 point* from flagging to move over to the eval on the screening tool.  For her it's considered a relative weakness and something she compensates for.  Some people also find meds help the brain process better, improving the APD symptoms.  

So yes, if you can get those two evals affordably, I'd encourage you to go ahead and do it, even though the psych eval costs a ton.  It will give you information to pull together into a bigger, more complete picture.  For some kids, the psych eval alone will not explain everything. The psych will know how to use that info and include it in the reports.

Well I'm glad for you.  Keep us posted!   :)

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 3

Good luck.

Your son may be hesitant as he's not really sure what it will mean to his future. I approached it with my teenager much to the extent that the testing was more for me to better understand how he learns and how to best teach him.

Regarding dysgraphia - I have a very gifted, severely dysgraphic son. I got so tired in the early years from people telling me I just needed to make him practice writing more. It's certainly not that simple. I can relate to preferring a root canal compared to helping him write. He does have extended time on tests as well as other accommodations. Just knowing that his brain is "wired differently" has been very beneficial to him to better understand why he has to work so much harder at some things than others.

• Like 6

Just as a total aside, my ds has had so much customized to him that he does not *grasp* how he compares to other kids.  And it's kind of bad, because you can see this undercurrent of *anger* when things are hard.  It's not really an "I have a disability and disabilities suck" kind of thing but just a more basal "My mean mother makes me do this" kind of thing.  I don't know when we'll make that transition.  It almost seems crazy that it's possible to get in such an odd pickle.  

My root canal was no big deal.  Helping him be able to write words is astonishingly hard.  His tutor gets paid $15 an hour to do it and I'm dreadfully concerned that I not lose those hours in the fall. 

Quill, does your ds think of himself as a person with a disability or difference?  What made that happen?  

Edited by OhElizabeth

I'm sitting here feeling the same way about my 13 year old. I think it's hard to really know when to say there's something else going on here vs. people saying he just needs more practice. Don't beat yourself up. Hope the testing goes well.

Edited by summerreading

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I don't know if anyone is still keeping up with this thread. We had to change the parent meeting appointment, so we just went today. The basics:

He does not have Dyslexia, or if he does, this is only a tiny facet of his difficulties. His problems are related to processing speed, receptive and expressive. There is an Inattentive element in the picture as well, but this is not severe. His vocabulary is weak, which I recognized.

Her reccommendations were: meet with the tutor at his school (I happen to know her and have a rapport with her, so this will help.) possibly also see a Speech Language Pathologist to work with him on building processing speed. Get extra time for tests in school (easiest of all). Have him use tablet in class as often as possible (also easy because the school is moving that way anyway).

• Like 9

Of course we're still following! :). That language thing is HUGE. Did she run the CELF or CASL? You can work on it at home too and might get rapid progress. Meds bump processing speed. SLP can improve retrieves land you can get materials for it too. Get scores and we'll help you. :)

Did she screen for APD? If not, definitely want that.

• Like 1

Of course we're still following! :). That language thing is HUGE. Did she run the CELF or CASL? You can work on it at home too and might get rapid progress. Meds bump processing speed. SLP can improve retrieves land you can get materials for it too. Get scores and we'll help you. :)

Did she screen for APD? If not, definitely want that.

No, I don't know what all those things mean. :) This person is NOT a neuropsychologist and cannot give certain tests. I am not pursuing a neuropsych, nor did she recommend it.

I don't plan to seek medication. I would only do this if learning supports and speech/lang assistance did not help appreciably much.

• Like 1

No, the SLP cannot change processing speed.  Working on the language is good, but it doesn't answer *why* it's low.  You need to know if there's hearing loss, an APD, or why he has these language problems.  The SLP might turn that up if she does an APD screening, but I would also see an audiologist.  

To improve processing speed, sometimes Interactive Metronome can help a bit.  We've had multiple kids go from single digits to mid-30s percentiles.  But for most kids, really it takes meds.  Nothing you're listing will do what meds will for him.  He needs all those things AND the meds to get to functional.

• Like 2

No, the SLP cannot change processing speed. Working on the language is good, but it doesn't answer *why* it's low. You need to know if there's hearing loss, an APD, or why he has these language problems. The SLP might turn that up if she does an APD screening, but I would also see an audiologist.

To improve processing speed, sometimes Interactive Metronome can help a bit. We've had multiple kids go from single digits to mid-30s percentiles. But for most kids, really it takes meds. Nothing you're listing will do what meds will for him. He needs all those things AND the meds to get to functional.

I am not going with drugs unless there is no other alternative. The counselor didn't recommend it. I am inclined to take the advice of the person who met and tested my son himself over a person in an internet forum, KWIM?

You're kinda pissing me off.

• Like 1

I am glad you are sorting this out. It sounds like you have a great plan in place and supports will help I am sure. I wish I would have done something similar with my oldest but he is smart enough that he has compensated for what deficiencies he has and is now in college and doing fine. Good luck to you and your son this school year.

• Like 2

No, the SLP cannot change processing speed.  Working on the language is good, but it doesn't answer *why* it's low.  You need to know if there's hearing loss, an APD, or why he has these language problems.  The SLP might turn that up if she does an APD screening, but I would also see an audiologist.  

To improve processing speed, sometimes Interactive Metronome can help a bit.  We've had multiple kids go from single digits to mid-30s percentiles.  But for most kids, really it takes meds.  Nothing you're listing will do what meds will for him.  He needs all those things AND the meds to get to functional.

Meds have not been recommended to us *at all* to improve processing speed. Our neuropsychs and everything I've read written specifically about processing speed have stated that there is not much that can be done to improve it, rather it is better accommodated. Perhaps meds are warranted with a co-morbid attentional issue, but for those with processing speed as the primary issue, I have not seen or heard of any recommendations for meds. The research on processing speed is newer, but some psychs are considering it a separate learning challenge in and of itself.

Edited by FairProspects
  • Like 1

Well, I don't know if anyone is still keeping up with this thread. We had to change the parent meeting appointment, so we just went today. The basics:

He does not have Dyslexia, or if he does, this is only a tiny facet of his difficulties. His problems are related to processing speed, receptive and expressive. There is an Inattentive element in the picture as well, but this is not severe. His vocabulary is weak, which I recognized.

Her reccommendations were: meet with the tutor at his school (I happen to know her and have a rapport with her, so this will help.) possibly also see a Speech Language Pathologist to work with him on building processing speed. Get extra time for tests in school (easiest of all). Have him use tablet in class as often as possible (also easy because the school is moving that way anyway).

I have never heard processing put together with language with this kind of phrasing, but given the kinds of "processing" and "language" issues my son has, I can see why someone would phrase it that way. Your son sounds like he has a similar profile to mine (but mine is little).

Processing speed in the sense it's typical used on these boards is not something an SLP works on. Just clearing up some of why you are hearing about meds again. Some people (not all) believe that kind of processing speed sometimes responds to meds.

I think working with an SLP (and that means potentially testing with an SLP) is a great idea. They do have some things to offer that fall into a general realm of processing, probably auditory processing. There are articles suggesting that auditory processing responds to meds, but other articles express different opinions on that. My son has auditory processing disorder, and he is not on meds. I don't think it would help. We've had kind of weird experience with the first audiologist, so we're between clinics and deliberating what to do. There is a possibility he could get digital hearing aids, and a short trial indicated they could be profoundly helpful.

I would recommend a screening for auditory processing issues (usually the SCAN III is offered first). It could be what is behind the the receptive and expressive issues/vocabulary issues, which is why it's been brought up. It's sort of treatable, sort of not--therapies for it involve gaining better listening (processing) skills, and some of those therapies are in the realm of what an SLP does. One possible outcome of adding an APD label, if it's appropriate, is that the school could offer additional or different accommodations. It might also trigger a different mindset on the part of the school--if the problem is receptive/expressive language, the focus is on remediation. If the school hears "auditory processing," the focus will be more on "what can we do to help him hear better or take hearing out of the equation." If APD is really a factor, you want BOTH intervention and accommodation on the table.

• Like 3

Lindamood Bell's Visualizing and Verbalizing program might be a good fit. You can use the technique across all subject areas. All you need is the manual and it takes you step by step through the process.

I have seen dramatic improvements with receptive language and reading comprehension with the kids I've tutored.

http://lindamoodbell.com/program/visualizing-and-verbalizing-program

Might be worth checking out. BTW, I'm glad you got some answers.

• Like 1