Menu

Harriet Tubman is coming and Jackson is going

Amira

I never wanted Hamilton off the 10$, not that anyone gives a rat's patooty what I think, lol. It just seemed to me that as the first Secretary of the Treasury, he belonged there. But, I have never understood why Jackson deserved a place of honour. He didn't even like banks, so why put him on the money to begin with?

But, Harriet Tubman? She deserves all the honours.

• Like 8

I'm soooooooo glad Jackson is gone. Replacing that slave holding, genocide authorizing, bank hating jerk with a black woman makes me giddy with joy.

I thought The Onion's man on the street quote about this was hilarious:

I'll be honest: When Lin-Manuel Miranda told me he had a plan to get Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill, I thought he was nuts.

http://www.theonion.com/americanvoices/treasury-keep-hamilton-remove-jackson-currency-52775

• Like 11

Looks like Andrew Jackson might not be gone until the 20s scheduled redesign in 2030.

Unless somebody gets busy.

Bill

It will be 2030. They are so cautious about protectng against counterfeiting that it is doubtful it is much sooner. This also means there is a chance another Sec of the Treasury could reverse this decision, although my guess is that is unlikely.

Yay!  I wish they could hurry it up; I'd like to get the new $20 before my daughter grows up.  I'm delighted that she'll be on the $20; it is such a ubiquitous bill.

I'm happy about this but sad about the comments I'm seeing online.

Yeah, don't read those unless you are braced for it.  Some people are grossly ignorant.

• Like 1

I'm soooooooo glad Jackson is gone. Replacing that slave holding, genocide authorizing, bank hating jerk with a black woman makes me giddy with joy.

I thought The Onion's man on the street quote about this was hilarious:

http://www.theonion.com/americanvoices/treasury-keep-hamilton-remove-jackson-currency-52775

Isn't the Onion fake news?

Isn't the Onion fake news?

It's satire which is not exactly the same thing.

I am THRILLED by this. Kids should know who Tubman is. And should not have to see Jackson on a place of honor on our currency, either.

I haven't seen anything negative online. Who would be opposed to Harriet Tubman? She is not exactly a decisive figure.

• Like 1

Looking at comments, I see people saying they don't know who Harriet Tubman is -- but they think Andrew Jackson is someone who should be honored? Where are they getting their history from?!  Is this just a matter of not liking change?

I didn't really know who Hamilton was. But I knew Andrew Jackson was a disgrace and was always a bit confused why he got on the money vs someone else.  The really cool part is that $20 are the most frequently used bill. So Having such a recognizeable figure there is fantastic!

Edited by vonfirmath

You know, I try really hard to associate with people who don't always agree with me, but I suspect this is one of those bubble issues. All my online feeds were filled with glee about this news. Pro-Hamilton glee from the musical fans and pro-Tubman feminist glee and anti-Jackson glee. I haven't seen any actual negative comments. Thus, I'm sure I'm living in a bubble. Sigh.

• Like 2

You know, I try really hard to associate with people who don't always agree with me, but I suspect this is one of those bubble issues. All my online feeds were filled with glee about this news. Pro-Hamilton glee from the musical fans and pro-Tubman feminist glee and anti-Jackson glee. I haven't seen any actual negative comments. Thus, I'm sure I'm living in a bubble. Sigh.

I wish I lived in that bubble.  :scared:

• Like 2

Trying hard to imagine negative comments.

"She helped free slaves: boooo."

Or are they saying they want a Conferderate figure if they have  a Union Army operative recognized?

Or ..... do they just not know who she is?

• Like 2

Well, all the racists have to do is flip the money over to see Jackson's face. He's staying on the back of the bill.

Oh FFS, it's going to become a political statement now, making a point of turning the money one side or the other facing up.  Just please no.

The incomparable Marion Anderson is going on the back of the 5$ opposite Lincoln, which is nice to see. And maybe included on there will be Eleanor Roosevelt and Dr King jr?  

And on the back of the 10$, opposite Alexander Hamilton, will be a picture of a 1913 march for women's suffrage and there will be 5 women leaders: Susan B Anthony, Sojourner Truth, Lucretia Mott, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Alice Paul.

But this is a real victory for the 'women on the 20" group. They had been advocating for Tubman on the 20$, and they got it!  Good job!

http://www.womenon20s.org/

• Like 2

Trying hard to imagine negative comments.

"She helped free slaves: boooo."

Or are they saying they want a Conferderate figure if they have  a Union Army operative recognized?

Or ..... do they just not know who she is?

Our local paper posted about this on facebook.  There were more than ten comments in the top 90 describing her as ugly.  There were half a dozen complaints that this change would add to racial tensions.  Several people said that they wouldn't use the new bills.  Tacky jerks.  I think I must live in a stupid part of the country. 

Perhaps, if getting the change made takes long enough, people will have grown up some? 

I'm really happy about the change. 

(ETA: I believe the jokes about her appearance are seated in deep racism, in case I wasn't clear.  Jerks.)

Edited by elroisees
  • Like 1

Our local paper posted about this on facebook.  There were more than ten comments in the top 90 describing her as ugly.  There were half a dozen complaints that this change would add to racial tensions.  Several people said that they wouldn't use the new bills.  Tacky jerks.  I think I must live in a stupid part of the country. 

Perhaps, if getting the change made takes long enough, people will have grown up some? 

(ETA: I believe the jokes about her appearance are seated in deep racism, in case I wasn't clear.  Jerks.)

Racism and sexism. Men aren't required to be beautiful to be valuable. Women are.

Her looks should be entirely beside the point. Her actions were important and good and brave. This should be enough.

• Like 6

I honestly have nothing to add to this, I just couldn't bring myself to "like" it so I'm quoting. That people would not only have those opinions but express them freely, publicly, and without a hint of shame is so disturbing to me. Not surprising, persay, but still troubling.

• Like 2

Racism and sexism. Men aren't required to be beautiful to be valuable. Women are.

Her looks should be entirely beside the point. Her actions were important and good and brave. This should be enough.

Not to mention, here is someone who was terribly abused all throughout her childhood and early life. I also doubt she had access to good nutrition. Of all people to judge by appearance.  Just foul.

• Like 4

There were a couple posts on my FB about it. One had an image of her where she frankly looks a bit grumpy. This is also the image that popped up on my Kindle. I don't know if that's the image they plan to use. The meme joked that Harriet's facial expression was her saying something like, "you don't need to buy that." I saw another post with her offering one hand and raising the other with a gun.

I'm happy about the choice, but not sure about the final image they use. I wasn't super fond of the one that showed up on my Kindle.

The negative comment I read said something about dividing people. I was really irritated when they said some negative things about her. Interestingly, the person complaining said that they would have liked to see Dr. King on the bill.

Edited: I see the thread shows one of the versions I was talking about. And my comment about the images wasn't based on beauty, just I didn't want her to be remembered with a grumpy look on her face I guess?

Edited by heartlikealion

The picture I'm mostly seeing of Tubman is not my favorite -- no. But I love the idea of having her there and I don't think there is anyway the picture of her with a gun will be made.  And honestly, who looks at the picture on their bill that much anyway? OTher than when you are in school and learning who is on there.

• Like 1

I didn't really know who Hamilton was. But I knew Andrew Jackson was a disgrace and was always a bit confused why he got on the money vs someone else.  The really cool part is that $20 are the most frequently used bill. So Having such a recognizeable figure there is fantastic!

Hamilton was instrumental in the founding of my hometown in NJ, so I knew from the time I entered school who he was (and we were taught to have anger towards Burr). I didn't pay much attention to Jackson other than that he was a president until we moved to Florida. Quite a few schools are named after him. My brother went to a middle school named for him. I was in high school when we came to my current city so I got to skip it. 

Remember, people usually had stern looks in early photographs because getting your picture taken was a solemn event. You wanted to look dignified for posterity. It also took longer. You had to sit very still or the picture would blur and the whole thing would be wasted.  Sometimes they even used little things on the backs of people's heads to hold them still.  How would you like to hold a 'happy face' smile for 45 or 6o seconds?  You would feel foolish.

So, if she looks "grumpy", first of all, women aren't ornamental. They do not exist to brighten up the landscape. I know, no one here is saying that, but I really, really hate the whole thing of people telling women and girls to 'smile', like they are a bouquet of flowers, decoration only. Second of all, what some see as grumpy she might see as dignified as the circumstances required.

And maybe she was grumpy. I think by her age, and after her life, she was free to be however she damn well wanted to be without judgment.

Did anyone say, "Hey, don't put Andrew Jackson on the 20. He looks kind of grumpy in his portraits" ?  Jeepers people. 

• Like 5

I have no doubt that the artists working on the $20 re-design will be able to craft an engraving that captures the nobility of the Harriet Tubman.

Washington, Hamilton, Jefferson, et al, all come from the pre-photographic age. Artists need not be limited to the few photographs from latter life for their final image. For example, in a very different medium, here is a wax figure of Harriet Tubman in her prime that I think points to the sort of artist possibilities that are possible.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/kidspost/how-harriet-tubmans-story-was-saved/2013/03/05/a38d1524-7465-11e2-95e4-6148e45d7adb_story.html

Bill

• Like 2

I heard a guy on the radio today saying that she shouldn't be on the bill because she is famous for breaking the law.  That's a new one! It's true, she broke a lot of laws.  Starting with stealing herself! 

• Like 2

I heard a guy on the radio today saying that she shouldn't be on the bill because she is famous for breaking the law.  That's a new one! It's true, she broke a lot of laws.  Starting with stealing herself! 

Wow! They'd better remove founding fathers from all bills and coins then, because they broke a number of laws of their day. English laws, yes, but they were still law breakers.

• Like 5

I heard a guy on the radio today saying that she shouldn't be on the bill because she is famous for breaking the law. That's a new one! It's true, she broke a lot of laws. Starting with stealing herself!

Yeah, we certainly can't have treasonous law breakers like George Washington on our currency...

• Like 3

Well, he's not wrong.  Of course the same could be said of Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton, and Franklin. They all would have been hanged for treason, had the war not ended as it did. They broke some pretty serious laws according to the British Empire, and we certainly celebrate them for it.

One could make a similar argument about Lincoln, but let's not rehash that whole thing again. It's been fought over long enough..

And the same can be said of Susan Anthony, Alice Paul, Sojourner Truth, Lucretia Mott, Dr Martin Luther King jr.. all of whom have a history of publicly breaking laws, some spent some time in jail for it, and who are also going to be on our money.

So, I guess he's going to have a lot to complain about.

• Like 3

One of the reasons we admire courageous people is that they take serious risks for the sake of s cause they believe in.

Risks like breaking the law.

If, with historical perspective, their cause is one we value, that person may come to be perceived as a hero.

Edited by maize
  • Like 4