Menu

Ignore this thread!

Bake pie of choosing.

Cut into slices, ostensibly to share with family.

Hide pie.

Eat pie all by yourself until pie is gone.

Repeat.

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Did I mention I found out why my cooked oats never turned out like in the restaurants?  It's because food service uses a different oat -- steam table oats, aka kettle oats!  They are a thicker rolled oat than the "old fashioned" oats sold to the common public in the grocery store.

While more than one company makes such oats I can only find the Quaker steam table oats for sale on Amazon -- this appears to be my only available source, unless I sign up with a food distributor as a client.  I'm waiting until after this weekend, and then I'm ordering in some!  Not a case, though -- I'm pretty sure it will take me YEARS to eat up a case of them.

• Like 3

My DD told me some kid has been messing with her at school. He's taking her stuff and breaking it in front of her for giggles. I told her I was surprised she let him because she's the youngest in our family and pretty scrappy. She has a temper. 

She told me that actually the last time he did it she hit and scratched him. And I'm not even sorry. She feels guilty. I didn't tell her this, but if it happens again I hope she makes a big impression on him. 

• Like 6

My DD told me some kid has been messing with her at school. He's taking her stuff and breaking it in front of her for giggles. I told her I was surprised she let him because she's the youngest in our family and pretty scrappy. She has a temper. 

She told me that actually the last time he did it she hit and scratched him. And I'm not even sorry. She feels guilty. I didn't tell her this, but if it happens again I hope she makes a big impression on him. 

Where are the teachers in all of this?

• Like 2

Throw some seeds in the compost; you'll probably have luck that way. That's the only way we got our little trees. Planting seeds on purpose never worked. :lol:

We have a lovely pumpkin vine growing out of our compost bin. I hope it produces.
  • Like 2

I am back from hobnobbing with my fellow wizards. But I don't feel that much more magical. I want a refund. I think my wand is made of poison ivy with a chicken feather core.

Nah, I think Jeannie took your real one and replaced it with an imposter.
  • Like 2

Where are the teachers in all of this?

She said her primary teacher was out of the room in a conference or meeting and they had a sub for that subject. I don't know about other days. She said nobody noticed her hitting and scratching because the other kids were paying attention to the lesson and they were being quiet. I should tell her to yell loudly instead of hitting and scratching. Or at least before hitting and scratching. That's probably a much better response than telling her to knock him onto the floor like I was thinking!

I e-mailed the teacher and asked her to separate their desks. DD(9) and DS (15) are in PS for the first time in years while DDs(13) are homeschooled and it's hard to deal with losing all the control, or imagined control, over situations!

• Like 6

When Dancer was in 7th, she went to a charter school, where apparently she'd been bullied all year by these two girls (and others - one guy broke her glasses and threw them in the cafeteria trash). It was the last day of school, and I was working to get my classroom cleaned up, on the other side of town. As I went to pick her up (late), I got a phone call from the school. She'd been in a fight. Even with a teacher as an eyewitness that the other girls threw the first punch, she got expelled because she fought back. I said, in front of the admin there, good for my daughter for standing up for herself. I had had it with that school by this point, and told them I supported my daughter for not allowing herself to get beat up by two girls. The made her suspension half a year instead of the full year, but there was no way she was going back there.

• Like 5

When Dancer was in 7th, she went to a charter school, where apparently she'd been bullied all year by these two girls (and others - one guy broke her glasses and threw them in the cafeteria trash). It was the last day of school, and I was working to get my classroom cleaned up, on the other side of town. As I went to pick her up (late), I got a phone call from the school. She'd been in a fight. Even with a teacher as an eyewitness that the other girls threw the first punch, she got expelled because she fought back. I said, in front of the admin there, good for my daughter for standing up for herself. I had had it with that school by this point, and told them I supported my daughter for not allowing herself to get beat up by two girls. The made her suspension half a year instead of the full year, but there was no way she was going back there.

I can't like this because I'm sorry your DD had to experience that kind of BS, but I agree with you. We have to defend our kids. What was your DD supposed to do? It's ridiculous that they even considered a half year suspension. 

• Like 4

I can't like this because I'm sorry your DD had to experience that kind of BS, but I agree with you. We have to defend our kids. What was your DD supposed to do? It's ridiculous that they even considered a half year suspension. 

They expected my daughter to walk away. The problem was they kept following her every time she did. She even went by the office several times. Dd was finally set off when the bullying turned to racial slurs (mostly against me) and one girl hit her. I think they even considered suspending dd because she messed that girl up.  I was shocked; she'd never fought before. Well, actually they have a zero tolerance policy on fighting. They thought they were being generous by shortening her suspension since she was provoked. I was also upset because I hadn't know about the bullying and they did, yet hadn't done anything or notified me of anything. (I had been getting calls at least once a month due to things happening for the first semester.)

I was a teacher working at a different charter (I'm currently with the district). Imagine that rep: teacher of the daughter who beat a girl to a pulp and got expelled from school. Yep, that be me. 

• Like 1

They expected my daughter to walk away. The problem was they kept following her every time she did. She even went by the office several times. Dd was finally set off when the bullying turned to racial slurs (mostly against me) and one girl hit her. I think they even considered suspending dd because she messed that girl up. I was shocked; she'd never fought before. Well, actually they have a zero tolerance policy on fighting. They thought they were being generous by shortening her suspension since she was provoked. I was also upset because I hadn't know about the bullying and they did, yet hadn't done anything or notified me of anything. (I had been getting calls at least once a month due to things happening for the first semester.)

I was a teacher working at a different charter (I'm currently with the district). Imagine that rep: teacher of the daughter who beat a girl to a pulp and got expelled from school. Yep, that be me.

I am so sorry, Renai!! That is wrong on every level. I don't want my kids to fight, but if they are continually provoked and bullied, I would completely support them if they knocked someone flat.
  • Like 3

It might. Celiac is auto immune. And autoimmune stuff can be weird and affect all sorts of things that you wouldn't think would be affected. At any rate, just taking care of the celiac problem so that we can see what is left would be an improvement.

Does Events Planner have an unusually slow heart rate? Ds says his is normally about 60bpm, but sometimes at night in bed it gets down into the 40s. He is not an athlete and does not exercise regularly.

Anyhow, he does not know if they've done the ttg test, but he said he'd call his doctor and ask.

Does Events Planner have an unusually slow heart rate? Ds says his is normally about 60bpm, but sometimes at night in bed it gets down into the 40s. He is not an athlete and does not exercise regularly.

Anyhow, he does not know if they've done the ttg test, but he said he'd call his doctor and ask.

It can go pretty slow but mostly it's her bp that is really low.

I'm really hoping that I can sleep tonight. I haven't slept well since two days ago when Rocky died. It has been over a year that I have been sleeping near him and have been half aware of his needs throughout the night. On one level I am looking forward to uninterrupted sleep but I keep waking up and find myself listening for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'm really hoping that I can sleep tonight. I haven't slept well since two days ago when Rocky died. It has been over a year that I have been sleeping near him and have been half aware of his needs throughout the night. On one level I am looking forward to uninterrupted sleep but I keep waking up and find myself listening for him.

:grouphug:   Hope you are sleeping well now. 

Good Wednesday Morning!

Renai, the admin at Dancer's old charter school are butt.  This is part of the reason why schools have a bullying problem - they don't know the difference between the bully and the victim.  It's butt.  Good for you having her back!

We played putt-putt last night with friends who are also here this week.  15 people total, I think.  We went through as three groups.  SOME people are highly competitive about the whole thing (ahem, dh!), and make a big deal about winning.  We've been hearing how he holds the record from our last trip two years ago, over and over again.  He and the dh of the other family especially are competitve with each other.  Would you believe it?  They tied!  And then I was doing pretty well - getting a lot of holes in only 2, so my group began to think maybe I would beat him (my group consisted of me, my Mom, friend's mom and step-dad, and friend's wife).  When we added it up at the end I lost to the dhs by one point.  :w00t:   Oh well, that was definitely the closest I've ever come to winning.  #notarealgolfer

• Like 11

Deep breath! :hurray:

Oh, it's all good. I'm more like, "This is finally happening. YAY!" I mean, it's not at all like I imagined it would go down, but deep down I knew we'd homeschool. It wasn't in my heart for no reason, ya know? 

It's nice to see it's no longer a pipe dream. 

Because they will still expect 8 hours of work out of you.

When I was contemplating part-time work as a transition from maternity leave back to full-time work my supervisor advised me to try working fewer longer days instead of short days every day.  Her reasoning is that for every person she saw trying to work 4 hours the reality is that time creep would set in and they would end up working 5-6 hour days, and sometimes longer, while only being paid for the 4 hours in the day.  I managed 3 days a week of 7 hours per day, but not everyone could manage that.

Be careful of time creep!  Don't let your days get extended often.

I'm kind of helping to supervise on a project, so yeah, I'm going to have to be very mindful of my time. I'm considering doing longer hours a couple of days. 

This particular client is kind of cranky, though, so I need to talk to my boss and see what she'd prefer to see out of my time - big chunks on 2-3 days or consistent hour through the week. Normally, it wouldn't matter, but this guy...  :huh: 

I prefer part time, but in reality need full. I'm familiar with how most wah jobs pay, but haven't done it in a while. What do you do?

I'll message you. :) 

Preschool, kindergarten, and early elementary can be so fun to homeschool! I hope she's excited. 

I don't think she totally understands. We have shown her the school where she was going to go; but now we're changing it on her, so she doesn't quite know what to think. 

• Like 5

I went to the city council meeting. No one was there. Oops. I guess it is next week.

They were all LATE!  This does not speak well of your city council.   :toetap05:

• Like 5

Today, my Dodge Gran Caravan was taken away. :crying:

Perhaps tomorrow I can begin seriously looking for a new vehicle.

But I won't love the new one as much as I loved the old one. :crying:

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

It will take some time to adjust.  Be patient with yourself, and get what rest you can.

• Like 2

Good morning.

Coffee delayed on account of stomach ache. I've been awake since 5.  o.0  DS was very surprised to come downstairs and find Mommy already showered.

Now I'm getting sleepy again! Hmf.

:grouphug:   Time for a nap!  Will crackers help with the stomach?

• Like 1

So, educational post...kind of...

We did Riv's kindergarten screening at the PS. I filled out some paperwork, but they said that I needed to finish registration online. Since I haven't done that, do I still need to inform the district of our intent to homeschool? 

(The school I called the other day was the private school, not the PS. Yes, we've changed directions a lot in the last few months. ha)

red-cute-good-morning-smiley-emoticon.gi

Thank you all for the charming discussion yesterday evening reminding me why I was horrified at the thought of my child attending public school.  (Except for 6th grade.  Part of me figured she'd fit right in.  :glare: )

:grouphug: , Jean.  I hope that you got some rest.

Mary, I will share with you the sum total of my early elementary advice:  Don't be anal.  (And don't spend time analyzing this advice, thinking that it might say more about me than you.  Because, truly, I am Zen Mistress Mommy.  And always have been.  And, since you never did read the whole thread, you probably don't know about that one little fault I have...)

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 6

So, educational post...kind of...

We did Riv's kindergarten screening at the PS. I filled out some paperwork, but they said that I needed to finish registration online. Since I haven't done that, do I still need to inform the district of our intent to homeschool?

(The school I called the other day was the private school, not the PS. Yes, we've changed directions a lot in the last few months. ha)

Depends on the rules for your state. In mine we have to notify when they reach age when school is a legal requirement. ( can't remember us that was 5, 6, or 7 to be honest. Once I started notifying for my oldest I just always added others to the letter when they hit Kindy.). Also, we notify every school year. (Should go put a reminder in my calendar right now....)

• Like 6

Depends on the rules for your state. In mine we have to notify when they reach age when school is a legal requirement. ( can't remember us that was 5, 6, or 7 to be honest. Once I started notifying for my oldest I just always added others to the letter when they hit Kindy.). Also, we notify every school year. (Should go put a reminder in my calendar right now....)

ahh, just found it. 

For the purpose of minimizing unnecessary investigations due to reports of truancy, each parent, guardian, or other person responsible for the child who causes his child to attend regularly a home school may provide to the recorder of deeds of the county where the child legally resides, or to the chief school officer of the public school district where the child legally resides, a signed, written declaration of enrollment stating their intent for the child to attend a home school within thirty days after the establishment of the home school and by September first annually thereafter. The name and age of each child attending the home school, the address and telephone number of the home school, the name of each person teaching in the home school, and the name, address and signature of each person making the declaration of enrollment shall be included in said notice. A declaration of enrollment to provide a home school shall not be cause to investigate violations of section 167.031. The recorder of deeds may charge a service cost of not more than one dollar for each notice filed.

So, I guess I'll type up a letter and send it off. 

ETA: Lovely, there are conflicting statements on the website. Gotta love Missouri.  :huh:

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 3

Paige, there was a bullying thread a while back, and one of the better pieces of advice, I thought, was whenever the bully starts up to yell loudly," Hey, why are you breaking my stuff/hitting me!" Confrontational, but also lets the teacher know what's going on without actually tattling.

In a sane world if the teacher saw your dd fight back the teacher would just tell the bully, serves you right. But I think Renai's experience is the norm. I have a friend whose neice that happened to -- one of the bullies' moms (she was being physically attacked by three girls!) even had the gall to threaten to sue bc her daughter the bully's nose got broken. 😡 Also, bullies are often great liars and this kid might be able to convince the teacher your dd started it. That happened to me.

Yes, the teacher who witnessed it was sane. He even gave me his number if I needed to go further. Why? Because the mom of one of the girls told the school she'd sue due to the dislocated jaw and chipped tooth her daughter received. I told them since the girl hit first, it was self defense, and I could charge the girls with assault. It never went anywhere.

Oh, and within two years, all the admin has changed, as well as most of the teachers.

• Like 3