Menu

Need Virtual Hugs- ADHD Eval for my 5 Y.O. Today

We've exhausted the non-pharmaceutical ADHD treatment suggestions of our integrative neurodevelopmental pediatrician (and he wrote an entire book on the subject) and while they've helped somewhat, she's still experiencing major symptoms. The hyperactivity and impulsivity are putting her safety at risk (running out into the road, climbing up on stuff, etc.) and interfering with her ability to focus with her therapists and teachers. I just spent a good half hour going through old evaluation & progress reports to copy the relevant sections and every single therapist/doctor who has seen her has made similar comments about the issue.

Our biomed dr. told me at the last appointment we had that the next step would be trying a non-stimulant medication. I don't like the idea of medicating her, but when she's bouncing off the walls, she's not able to benefit from her various therapies to the extent she would if she were calmer and better able to focus.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Our son just started on meds in April at age ten. It was a hard decision for us to make, as we are against medicating in general.  One of the thing that helped us was that our pediatrician explained how the medications actually help to change and grow the brain. He said that studies show that children who are medicated at younger ages are more often able to go off the meds earlier as teens, because they actually had lasting changes in the brain.

We decided that meds are a tool that can help our son be the best person that he is able to be.  We didn't want to withhold that tool from him. And we have seen a big difference in him on the meds.  It is working for him.

I will note that the meds have not been a cure all.  We still have a lot of things to work through with him. This week we have cautioned him about safety several times already, because he tends to think of something that will be fun and not stop to think about whether it is safe before doing it. We also went to a science museum, and he was less controlled and more scattered and crazy that day, so his environment still has an affect on him. Even so, he was a lot easier to handle that day than he would have been off the meds.

One other thing that helped me as we began to medicate is that you can just stop if it is not working. You don't have to taper off, and the drugs don't linger in the body. So if there are unfortunate side affects or if you think something is just not working, you can make changes immediately. That helped us decide that we could TRY the meds without making a long-term commitment.

I can relate. We are currently trying out medication for my ds. Sometimes I wonder if ds's ADHD - combined is more an impediment then his ASD. Hopefully you will find something that makes a difference for her.

Something our psych told us when we began contemplating medication (he is very neurtral on meds) was that for some children even if the medication ultimately didnt work it gives them feedback on what a more regulated state looks like and allows them to begin to self monitor on their own. One other thing to keep in mind about medication is that it is sort of like trying on jeans, you don't always get a good fit with the first pair, sometimes another in the same brand will fit best and sometimes you have to try a whole other brand.

I know this is stressful and difficult.  FWIW, I have friends and family that are dealing with this.  Some have used meds with great success (although best med and then best dosage took time to work out) and some have found ways around it, but each child is different.  You need to do what is best for your own child.

On a side note, one friend I have who finally reluctantly started meds with her youngest found that the best way to administer the medication was through a patch.  It changed everything and they love it.  Their daughter is doing great in school and the meds are not causing any bad side effects.  The patch makes it very easy to control dosage and when she has it in her system.  It is also much easier to use or not use when she is in extracurricular activities.  It took time to find the right drug, though, and then to find the right way to administer it.  Two previous drugs caused her to lose a tremendous amount of weight, and put her at risk of being hospitalized.  They are very grateful that they kept trying, though, and found the one that worked.

You've done all you can and now you're looking at what to do next to help your dd even though it's a hard step to take. That shows how much you love and care for her. She is blessed to have you, and things may not always be easy but I am confident all will turn out well.

Two previous drugs caused her to lose a tremendous amount of weight, and put her at risk of being hospitalized.  They are very grateful that they kept trying, though, and found the one that worked.

Youngest DD is already petite for her age (though she's no longer off-the-charts small like she was before we went gluten-free). She's something like 10th percentile for height and 5th for weight, which is in line with other members of the family. I'm 5'2" and my mom, MIL, and SIL are all 5'4" or less and thin. DD being small is one reason why our biomed dr. does not recommend trying stimulants.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: I know how you feel!  I will say a prayer for you.  We are also going to the doctor this afternoon and both of my kids will be possibly dealing with new meds depending how it goes. I have been extremely cautious in this area so I get it! We are dealing with ADHD for one and anxiety for the other. Best of luck to you and your dd!

Youngest DD is already petite for her age (though she's no longer off-the-charts small like she was before we went gluten-free). She's something like 10th percentile for height and 5th for weight, which is in line with other members of the family. I'm 5'2" and my mom, MIL, and SIL are all 5'4" or less and thin. DD being small is one reason why our biomed dr. does not recommend trying stimulants.

Same issue with her daughter, which was kind of difficult for her since everyone else is extremely tall and fairly well built.  (Mom is 5' 10" and hubbie is MUCH taller and they are both pretty solid, though not fat.).  DD the littlest is very small (there ARE small members of the extended family, just not parents or siblings).

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: I know how you feel!  I will say a prayer for you.  We are also going to the doctor this afternoon and both of my kids will be possibly dealing with new meds depending how it goes. I have been extremely cautious in this area so I get it! We are dealing with ADHD for one and anxiety for the other. Best of luck to you and your dd!

Good luck!

I had the initial appointment this morning and apparently there is one more appointment with the mental health screening folks before we can see a psychiatrist for meds. They went ahead and scheduled the appointment with the psychiatrist based on the records I brought in, but I guess there is a procedure that Kaiser makes the clinic follow. I appreciate that they aren't just handing out meds indiscriminately but it's still annoying to have to pay another co-pay for a second screening visit.

I had the initial appointment this morning and apparently there is one more appointment with the mental health screening folks before we can see a psychiatrist for meds. They went ahead and scheduled the appointment with the psychiatrist based on the records I brought in, but I guess there is a procedure that Kaiser makes the clinic follow. I appreciate that they aren't just handing out meds indiscriminately but it's still annoying to have to pay another co-pay for a second screening visit.

Sorry you have to go back again and pay another co-pay.  Those really add up!  Ugh!

But hopefully that really does mean they are careful about administering meds and will make more informed and carefully thought out recommendations for your child.

:grouphug:

We saw a psychiatrist for meds, too, and it required two appointments, one with a social worker/therapist type guy (just threw his card out, so I can't remember his degree) who did the intake meeting, and the second with the psychiatrist.  It was kind of annoying, but maybe that is the norm?

In the end, though, our pediatrician told us he preferred to do the prescribing and monitoring himself, and we trust him, so we only saw the psychiatrist that one time.

• 3 weeks later...

So we went back for the 2nd part of the screening with the PhD. this morning and it took him seeing DD for all of about 5 minutes for him to make the official diagnosis of ADHD.

His comment? "Wow, she really *IS* a busy little girl!" [insert head-banging smiley here]

We see the psychiatrist on Monday for meds evaluation.

Something our psych told us when we began contemplating medication (he is very neurtral on meds) was that for some children even if the medication ultimately didnt work it gives them feedback on what a more regulated state looks like and allows them to begin to self monitor on their own.

My son is borderline and has changed a great deal this year. This is an encouraging idea. I will have to mull that over. Other things have had that affect on him, so maybe meds would too.

Well, when the psychologist makes a statement like that, you really know it's true. I know it's hard to think of putting a 5yo on meds, but you have certainly done well at trying all your other options. I hope meds really do make a difference for your little one.

So we went back for the 2nd part of the screening with the PhD. this morning and it took him seeing DD for all of about 5 minutes for him to make the official diagnosis of ADHD.

His comment? "Wow, she really *IS* a busy little girl!" [insert head-banging smiley here]

We see the psychiatrist on Monday for meds evaluation.

I'm glad it was straightforward. I hope all goes well for you with the trial of meds and in finding the right one. I know one little boy who is night and day different with his meds, and it's been a wonderful thing for the family.

One other thing that helped me as we began to medicate is that you can just stop if it is not working. You don't have to taper off, and the drugs don't linger in the body. So if there are unfortunate side affects or if you think something is just not working, you can make changes immediately. That helped us decide that we could TRY the meds without making a long-term commitment.

To the OP---PLEASE double check the above with your doctor.  It is often true with the stimulants that you can give them as needed, stop immediately and try a new one the next day, etc. BUT with the non-stimulants, that is very often NOT the case as they take longer to build up in the system and must be taken daily at about the same time each day, etc.

Back to OP---we actually started our daughter on meds at age 3 and we keep saying we wish we would have done it even earlier.  It really made such a difference for her and her learning, etc.  She was a very extreme case (many, multiple issues going on).

If the non-stimulants don't work, I would try the stimulants.  We use Dexedrine which is an older one but it helps so much with the hyperactivity and impulsivity for one of mine.  We have had no growth/weight issues at all with it although some do.

To the OP---PLEASE double check the above with your doctor.  It is often true with the stimulants that you can give them as needed, stop immediately and try a new one the next day, etc. BUT with the non-stimulants, that is very often NOT the case as they take longer to build up in the system and must be taken daily at about the same time each day, etc.

Totally agree. Different meds may work differently.

• 1 month later...

I just gave DD her first Methylin pill. There was a hiccup in getting the prescription filled because the original formulation that the psychiatrist prescribed wasn't something that the pharmacy could actually order despite being in the doctor's system (gotta love dealing with an HMO!) Because it's a controlled substance, the pharmacist couldn't just switch the prescription without the psychiatrist writing a new prescription, and the doctor was on vacation through this past Monday.

DD starts kindergarten on Monday so hopefully the Methylin helps without any major side effects because there won't be any time to adjust the prescription before she goes back to school.

Well, the 4 hours came and went and I can't say that I noticed any difference in her. She seemed her usual hyperactive self.

She's got AYSO VIP (special needs) soccer tomorrow morning and she typically loses focus partway through the hourlong session. I'll have to see whether the Methylin helps any with that.