Menu

SWB: I want a middle school board

My preference would be for this board to be K-6, and the High School Board to be 7-12. Everything you do in 7th and 8th grade feels like preparation for high school... most of us go to the h.s. board for middle school recommendations anyway.

I have to admit that it did kind of tickle me that your post about not following WTM recommendations was positioned right next to your request to section the boards according to WTM stages... kinda funny when you think about it :).

Robin

Another vote here for a trivium split for the boards. I have two moving into Logic and two coming up into grammar. (new baby <July 2008> won't be ready for a while) A split would be very helpful. This board does move fast.

Oh please!!! That would fabulous!! Somewhere where we can discuss these in between kids and all their squirrelyness and how-will-they-ever-be-ready-for-high-school-work and will I survive this phase anyway?

LoL.. Squirrelness. Some days...well they are worth worrying over:eek:.

I always wondered why there wasn't a board for the dialectic/logic stage. I just figured they were trying to reduce the number of boards or tried to keep the help around.... I mean, those who have kids in the logic stage are a great help to those in the grammar stage.... but it is hard for us in the logic stage to get help. We need to dig through the k-8 board or jump up to the High School board.

So I'm for the new board. I think enough of us are working with other kids in the lower stage that we will be bouncing back to grammar stage anyway. Also with this new format, we can easily view all new messages from all boards.

There are three stages (grammar, logic, rhetoric)...why not three separate boards to address the unique educational goals and strategies pertaining to these stages. The divisions are laid out in TWTM, and these are TWTM message boards, right?

Though I don't post often, I do read the boards daily to glean wisdom. There sure is a lot to wade through in this new format!

Just my 2 cents.

Something that covers 5-8! What do you think? It really needs to be distinct- There is too much of a gap to wade through everything.

I can live with the forums divided either way though I like the idea of dividing along the lines of the trivium- grammar, logic/dialectic, rhetoric. And I would like those names to reflect stages of development rather than chronological age of child or the grade level that is assigned for documentation or community group purposes.

The reason I like developmental groupings for curriculum questions is that as children may be moving out of one stage for certain skills while not being ready to move on in others. This is especially true for children who are 2E- gifted with learning challenges such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, etc. They are thinking at a higher level than their written language skills may reflect.

I had not previously visited the K-8 board much because my need for curriculum advice was mainly centered around resources for high school. Now I have a middle school aged conundrum kid who reads at high school level, has a knowledge base in math and history/geography approaching high school, whose analysis skills are many ways still at the dialectic level, but whose writing skills are clearly at the grammar level. My need for curriculum information now spans all three levels- at least for the next year or two- and I would like to be able to browse posts according to learning level more easily.

Hi Everyone,

We have read the threads asking for board changes and we are aware of the various points of view. We are considering how to best balance all the requests and keep the most people happy.

We have closed this thread to future posts.

The Admins