Menu

Can you help me deal with my tea tree oil stupidity? (TMI inside)

Recap: I took a Solaray Yeast Cleanse supplement for 4 and a half months to deal with internal candida. The ingredients list tea tree oil at a small amount. I had read that you should never ingest tea tree oil but ignored the warning because there were so many testimonials for this product. I did fine for the first 3 months.

For the last month I've had stomach aches every night. My candida rash was getting worse despite continuing medicine and diet for it. I thought it was just die off.

Then - earlier this week I had a major diarrhea attack. The thing is everything that comes out smells overpoweringly like tea tree oil. I am expelling tea tree oil every couple of days. It is very painful because it burns my skin as it is expelled. Dh thinks that it was stored in my fat and once it reached toxicity my body is trying to get rid of it. My stomach ached for 4 hours last night (3 am - 7 am). It is not a writhing in pain kind of ache but enough that I cannot sleep and am very uncomfortable. Since it burns on exiting, I'm sort of wondering what it's doing to my intestines.

1. Is there something I can take safely to help my body get rid of this?

2. Is there something I can take safely to neutralize this?

I've googled and googled but every site says: don't ingest it. If you do, call poison control. I don't think that poison control can help me in a situation like this (I could be wrong though). My MD would not know what to do. The sites also say what the side effects can be of ingesting - diarrhea (I know that!), disorientation, coma, death. I think I'm past the window of the bad side effects. There are no sites that tell what to do in a situation like mine of long-term cumulative poisoning.

Did you purchase the cleanse online or from a local health food store? Is there a reliable store in your area that you could call and talk to someone? Some of those people are "just" employees but others are really knowledgeable as to what they sell and surely someone should have some advice for you. Or maybe you could contact the company who manufactures the cleanse?

I'm sorry I can't offer more help, but I do sympathize. I hope you're able to get this dealt with promptly, you've been through so much as of late. :grouphug:

It says here: http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_risk/committees/04_sccp/docs/sccp_o_00c.pdf

that people who ingested it for a rash, found that the rash did become worse. It also mentions that they did recover when they stopped ingesting it, and no mention is made of what, if anything was given to them. I am running out the door, I will check back later to see if you've learned anything else.:grouphug:

I don't know. But I would do plain live culture yogurt (if you are not allergic) or some kind of probiotic (in small amounts) to get your intestinal system stabilized with good bacteria.

For the burning, try some lanolin balm, Lansinoh or the like.

I wonder if drinking some kind of organic tea or plain water to try and flush your system more quickly would help.

You should be able to contact the manufacturer. I tried to google them but was not sure if I found their website or a wholesaler who sales their product. If you still have the bottle there should be an 800 number on the bottle. Someone there should be able to answer all your questions.

I also found a review for this product online at Amazon with info. about tea trea oil, worth googling and looking into more:

Tea Tree Info: The unrefined concentrated Tea Tree oil is caustic & should not be taken internally. If the oil has been refined properly it has many wonderful, effective topical uses. The leaves of the Tea Tree (Melaleuca) plant have been used for ages as a tea (hence the name). I drink it. Many concentrated oils from plants (essential oils) are caustic but we eat the food they come from such as oranges, cloves, thyme, oregano, etc. It is still possible, though, to to be allergic to almost anything but if using any product of this type for the first time you may suffer a Yeast (candida) die-off reaction (very unpleasant).

From an article about 3 cats who reached toxic levels. It references human use also:

"There is no antidote for tea tree oil toxicosis.9 General

detoxification and supportive care should be given. A mild

detergent bath will prevent further dermal absorption of the

oil and further oral ingestion due to grooming behavior.7,9

Activated charcoal and saline cathartics should be administered

to adsorb the oil and move it through the gastrointestinal

tract, respectively.7,9 Heart rate, respiratory rate, body

temperature, hydration, and serum electrolytes should be

monitored and corrective action taken as needed.9 The prognosis

for animals poisoned with Melaleuca oil is good with

treatment, unless the animal has other health problems."

Call Poison Control! Even your doctor will tell you that, I'll bet. When DD was young, our ped told us to call PC FIRST if she ingested anything, and only then to call the doctor.

I agree with pro-biotics since melaleuca oil is a mild natural antibiotic, but I don't know about dealing with the caustic aspects of it. That sounds really frightening! I'm praying for you.

I've googled and googled but every site says: don't ingest it. If you do, call poison control. I don't think that poison control can help me in a situation like this (I could be wrong though). .

Poison control can look up anything. I have never been given the "oops, we don't know" from poison. They will not only talk to you, but they will then call back if they find more info. "Poison" (what we call them) is my friend.

My MD would not know what to do.

Why not? That's what doctors DO... they help people who are sick - whether it's viral, bacterial, poisoning, etc....

I think I'd probably end up going to the hospital. You're in pain, something is WRONG, you've been ingesting something that might be poisoning you -- forums, health food store employees, etc aren't really the people I'd be trusting with my health/life.

Why not? That's what doctors DO... they help people who are sick - whether it's viral, bacterial, poisoning, etc....

I think I'd probably end up going to the hospital. You're in pain, something is WRONG, you've been ingesting something that might be poisoning you -- forums, health food store employees, etc aren't really the people I'd be trusting with my health/life.

I know from experience that my MD will shrug his shoulders and say that he does not know about that kind of stuff. He already told me that he knew nothing about candida itself and to deal with it myself. On standard acute medical problems he is more than capable.

I know from experience that my MD will shrug his shoulders and say that he does not know about that kind of stuff. He already told me that he knew nothing about candida itself and to deal with it myself. On standard acute medical problems he is more than capable.

But it's a poisoning ....a medical doctor shouldn't BE a medical doctor if he doesn't know what to do for someone who has a poison in their body. :001_huh:

I don't know what "candida" is, but I'm not the one with a medical school diploma on my wall ~ I'd be rather upset if my doctor told me to go treat myself for something!

1. Is there something I can take safely to help my body get rid of this?

2. Is there something I can take safely to neutralize this?

Have you talked to someone at the poison control center yet? What advice did you get?

Please, I hope you'll consider keeping your medicine/supplement cabinet closed right now and stay away from the health food store or I fear you could just add insult to injury.

It sounds to me Jean that your body is expelling it which is what its meant to do. But it might have done some damage to your intestinal walls on the way.

Activated charcoal may help to absorb it and contain it so that your intestinal lining doesn't get burned by it.

Meanwhile...there are things you can take to help soothe the lining, such as slippery elm powder- it might also provide a bit of protection as your body excretes the tea tree. You might find a good health food store has products that may well include slippery elm, which help people with issues like irritable bowel- which should also help soothe the lining of your intestines.

Drink LOTS of water and fluids to keep it moving through. And of course the probiotics/yoghurt.

It does seem very irresponsible to put tea tree in a supplement but for many people it might not affect them so badly since it must be a pretty small quantity. My dh and I have very different systems- I tend to have a cast iron stomach and I can imagine I might handle a supplement like that for a short while- but dh's system is so delicate digestive wise and he has to be so careful what he eats and what supplements he takes or he can end up easily poisoned and take weeks to get his gut back in order. Your system is compromised already- it obviously didnt handle it- but it is doing its job of excreting it. It might be another couple of days of discomfort but it should pass- then treat yourself for a damaged gut lining such as an irritable bowel protocol, to heal it. Here in AUstralia we have some good products but I dont know the ones in the U.S.- we have practitioner only powders - my dh is on one for his sensitive gut.

It wouldn't do any harm to phone the poison line just to find out what information they have, also. I imagine tea tree could hurt the liver as well, which is going to make you feel pretty awful- but once it has got out of your system, it will heal. The human body is a self healing organism given the support it needs.

It sounds to me Jean that your body is expelling it which is what its meant to do. But it might have done some damage to your intestinal walls on the way.

Activated charcoal may help to absorb it and contain it so that your intestinal lining doesn't get burned by it.

Meanwhile...there are things you can take to help soothe the lining, such as slippery elm powder- it might also provide a bit of protection as your body excretes the tea tree. You might find a good health food store has products that may well include slippery elm, which help people with issues like irritable bowel- which should also help soothe the lining of your intestines.

Drink LOTS of water and fluids to keep it moving through. And of course the probiotics/yoghurt.

It does seem very irresponsible to put tea tree in a supplement but for many people it might not affect them so badly since it must be a pretty small quantity. My dh and I have very different systems- I tend to have a cast iron stomach and I can imagine I might handle a supplement like that for a short while- but dh's system is so delicate digestive wise and he has to be so careful what he eats and what supplements he takes or he can end up easily poisoned and take weeks to get his gut back in order. Your system is compromised already- it obviously didnt handle it- but it is doing its job of excreting it. It might be another couple of days of discomfort but it should pass- then treat yourself for a damaged gut lining such as an irritable bowel protocol, to heal it. Here in AUstralia we have some good products but I dont know the ones in the U.S.- we have practitioner only powders - my dh is on one for his sensitive gut.

It wouldn't do any harm to phone the poison line just to find out what information they have, also. I imagine tea tree could hurt the liver as well, which is going to make you feel pretty awful- but once it has got out of your system, it will heal. The human body is a self healing organism given the support it needs.

Thank you, Peela. I am taking probiotics. I happen to have some slippery elm capsules on hand. I am calling the Dr. for further advice on Monday. And yes, I'll drink lots and lots.

slippery elm powder- it might also provide a bit of protection as your body excretes the tea tree.

The human body is a self healing organism given the support it needs.

Slippery Elm is great.

I agree with Peela. Your body is likely expelling it and it will heal. Just give it time. You're doing everything right. :grouphug:

Many allopathic docs have very little knowledge about holistic/naturopathic substances. I can understand that this may happen.

I'd probably do two things in addition to what tap's linked article suggests:

Take some turmeric because it's a liver cleanse or better yet, start with castor oil packs over the right side of the abdomen if the diarrhea has subsided.

Concentrated Cilantro caps may help as they bind toxic substances and carry them "out".

Many allopathic docs have very little knowledge about holistic/naturopathic substances. I can understand that this may happen.

I'd probably do two things in addition to what tap's linked article suggests:

Take some turmeric because it's a liver cleanse or better yet, start with castor oil packs over the right side of the abdomen if the diarrhea has subsided.

Concentrated Cilantro caps may help as they bind toxic substances and carry them "out".

I didn't know that tumeric is a liver cleanse. I'm taking tumeric anyway as an anti-inflammatory.

I didn't know that tumeric is a liver cleanse. I'm taking tumeric anyway as an anti-inflammatory.

Yes, this is supposed to be among its effects in addition to be anti-inflammatory.

A large bottle of castor oil and some old flannel rags may be the most inexpensive route. I do this every couple months for no particular reason other than to help out my liver. However, I cautioned in regards to diarrhea because this tends to speed digestion up quite a bit - at least for me. ;)

Can you call a naturopathic doc and get some "real" advice?

Yes, this is supposed to be among its effects in addition to be anti-inflammatory.

A large bottle of castor oil and some old flannel rags may be the most inexpensive route. I do this every couple months for no particular reason other than to help out my liver. However, I cautioned in regards to diarrhea because this tends to speed digestion up quite a bit - at least for me. ;)

Can you call a naturopathic doc and get some "real" advice?

I called the naturopathic doctor this morning. I have an appointment. The bad symptoms went away with the slippery elm and probiotics (and probably time). I've stopped the supplements so I'm not adding to my body's load of those substances. I'm not having emergent symptoms or anything like that. (They were more painful and debilitating at first but not anymore). I've read more than you want to know about terpene toxicity (the plant chemical that builds up with tea tree oil). The standard allopathic treatment would be an intense detoxification that would be harder on my body than I could handle and quite frankly would do more harm than good. If I was in extreme danger it would be worth it but not in this situation. I'm sure I will be doing a detoxification but need one prescribed that will not set off my fibromyalgia and other problems. I need a gentle approach, not one that is the medical equivalent of a bazooka!

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

I called the naturopathic doctor this morning. I have an appointment. The bad symptoms went away with the slippery elm and probiotics (and probably time). I've stopped the supplements so I'm not adding to my body's load of those substances. I'm not having emergent symptoms or anything like that. (They were more painful and debilitating at first but not anymore). I've read more than you want to know about terpene toxicity (the plant chemical that builds up with tea tree oil). The standard allopathic treatment would be an intense detoxification that would be harder on my body than I could handle and quite frankly would do more harm than good. If I was in extreme danger it would be worth it but not in this situation. I'm sure I will be doing a detoxification but need one prescribed that will not set off my fibromyalgia and other problems. I need a gentle approach, not one that is the medical equivalent of a bazooka!

Yes- and even natural liver cleanses can be hard on the system so really trust your instincts on that, Jean, and go gentle (but I agree that castor oil packs are a lovely gentle way to go). It does sound like your body is healing itself quite well.