Menu

In what do you use cilantro, besides salsa?

Guest Virginia Dawn

Guest Virginia Dawn

Last year's cilantro reseeded itself. Now I have loads of little cilantro plants but I'm not sure what to do with them.

Salads! It is awsome in salads! My favorite is

1 tomato quartered and thinly sliced

1 cucumberpeeled, seeded, quarted length wise, and thinly sliced

1 celery stalk thinly sliced

1 jar of hearts of palm sliced on the bias

the juice of 1 lemon

1 tbsp of chopped cilantro, or more if you like

salt and pepper to taste

I also like to take an avocado and dice it and dress it with cilantro, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.

cilantro, I think, is one of those herbs that you either love or you don't.

cilantro, I think, is one of those herbs that you either love or you don't.

We're divided in family. Older dd and I want cilantro on everything; younger dd and dh would rather not be in the same room with it:D

pico de gallo

My recipe (general amounts):

several roma tomatoes, chopped and seeded

1 small red onion, chopped

3 or 4 jalapenos, seeded and diced

a couple of tablespoons of olive oil

kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper

cilantro

I also put in tacos and guacamole. I sprinkle it on top of lots of mexican dishes like chicken enchiladas. And yes, as said above, it's delish on an avocado with a little lime, salt and pepper.

Try this...we take onion, garlic (3-4 cloves), and green pepper in a pan and sweat it out. Then we add grilled chicken or flank steak (sliced thin). Then add a good melting cheese to that. Lastly toss in a ton of cilantro. One pot wonder! Scoop up this delicious mixture in warmed corn tortillas. It is so tasty and adjusting the recipe is a snap. Also, I just recently started adding chopped cilantro to sour cream with a little salt/pepper and garlic powder for a dip. I love cilantro.:)

In addition to what others have suggested, I add chopped fresh cilantro to Indian food. For instance, a curry or aloo gobi -- just add fresh cilantro (along with fresh squeezed lemon juice) at the last moment before serving.

I LOVE cilantro! I use it on everything! In sandwiches as well as many of the other things people have already said! I wish I had a cilantro plant that would reseed itself! Maybe it could keep up with my use of it! :)

I like it best in salsa and salad. I like salad like an above poster mentioned. I also use cucumber pieces, tomato and cilantro, with some olive oil and lemon, and toss in some Feta cheese---mmmmm mmmmm good!

cashew chicken! Cilantro is now an exclamation of mine- I got cashew chicken from Panda Express and I was surprised at the amount of cilantro in it. I kept exclaiming "Cilantro!" Every time I took a bite of the chicken, and was surprised by the overwhelming taste, LOL. So now when something surprises me, "Cilantro!" And when I forget something it's "Oh Pizza!"

Quacamole, of course!

Spicy lemon-cilantro pesto on Udon noodles. Here's a good recipe online for cilantro-lemon pesto: http://glutenfreebay.blogspot.com/2007/02/cilantro-lemon-pesto.html I like mine a bit more lemony and kick it up with a couple of shots of green tabasco sauce.

Mango-cilantro quesadillas (pretty much exactly as you would think--regular quesadillas with thin slices of mango and chopped fresh cilantro). Yummy!

I LOVE cilantro! I use it on everything! In sandwiches as well as many of the other things people have already said! I wish I had a cilantro plant that would reseed itself! Maybe it could keep up with my use of it! :)

I like it best in salsa and salad. I like salad like an above poster mentioned. I also use cucumber pieces, tomato and cilantro, with some olive oil and lemon, and toss in some Feta cheese---mmmmm mmmmm good!

Me too! Love it. We use it all the time, from Mexican to Thai. I make a pork dish with a cilantro sauce (made with the drippings) that is to die for.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/237596

Hi, I am new here! Hope you don't mind me jumping in, but I love cilantro! :lol:

I use it in guacamole...also in Thai cooking. I used it just this week to make the Thai dish; Fragrant Beef Thai Salad.... The cilantro leaves were used in the salad (along with mint, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.) and the stems were minced and included in the dressing. it was delicious!

Ciantro is also wonderful in Colymbian empanadas!

Hope you enjoy your cilantro!!!

Kristina

We make a quick chicken salad when we have leftover chicken.

Mayo

Green Onion

Cilantro

Chopped Chicken

Salt

Pepper

Toasted bread

YUMMMMM!!!!!

Leftover Pot Roast

Add a small amount of water to a heated non-stick skillet. Add chopped/shredded meat. Add some onions, cilantro, anything really, and heat until water evaporates.

Wow! I love clilantro but I've never been created as all these ladies with it. I'm going to have to remember this thread....

Dh makes a pesto with it. Lots of garlic, cilantro, parmesan and olice oil. It's pretty easy with a food processor. In the summer sometimes that and a loaf of French bread is dinner.

Cook four or five cups of sweet potato slices until tender. Mash and add a sauted onion and a minced clove or two of garlic. Add a can of black beans, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 teaspoon of coriander and a generous amount of snipped cilantro. Fill large tortillas with the mixture and place in a baking pan. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve with salsa as a topping.

Enjoy!

Jane

Yet another idea is with a pizza. First marinate some chicken in lime and cilantro. Cook it. Chop it up.

Pizza:

For the sauce, use your favorite salsa. Top with some fresh cilantro, chicken, monterey jack cheese, and whatever else you like with that combo. Bake. Then top with fresh chopped avocado to serve. Delicious!

What everyone else said and in hummus. :)

Our cilantro has been reseeding for years now so I usually dry it and use it all winter. We also harvest the seeds and never have to buy coriander. Ever.

Hmmmm, in hummus?! I'll have to try that!!! Two of my favorites put together!

ingredients to make thai sauces. Let them grow and go to seed and harvest the coriander. You can take the green seeds and put them in vinegar to flavour it.

One little sprig in a sandwich along with the lettuce. A garnish for minestrone soup or black beans and rice.