Menu

Why would I get a headache every evening?

I noticed the pattern a few nights ago. Last night I wondered if it was related to a "air freshening" product I had in my new home.

But I got the same headache tonight while at work. :confused:

Can sinus/allergy related headaches develop only at night?

I am nearly 45, and my eyes don't change much anymore. I did get bifocals this year. I have had them for many months, though.

I have not changed hygiene products.

I have been under considerable stress, but, again, that's not exactly new.

Other ideas?

I've had headaches and dizziness lately--

I'd first try to drink more to rule out dehydration.

I'd also go ahead and get an eye check--I've had progressive bi's for 4 years now, and every two years or so need to get my script updates (in fact, I'm getting new glasses tomorrow). It could be eye strain that catches up to you by the evening.

Sorry you are getting them! Any msg sneaking into your food, by any chance?

And I will add Blood Pressure. Dh started having daily headaches a few yrs ago. Turned out to be his BP.

The same happened to me. Headaches and blurry vision at night. Turned out it was a medication I was on. I had to take BP meds for a few months while I weaned off the offending med.

Maybe a 'let down' headache?

I used to work in a super stressful social work job and during the week I'd be burning the candle at both ends. You would think I'd have had the headaches then but I used to get killer ones on the weekend. Dr said it was a combo of let down and delayed caffeine intake on the weekend. The let down headache happens when the stress is relieved for some reason. I guess I was just too busy during the week to have it then. :lol: Dr didn't have much in the way of a solution for the let down headache except to maybe find a way to relieve some of the work stress (wasn't going to happen) and get more active on the weekend.

Agreeing with all the great replies so far. Some tips:

Magnesium

Helps occasional headaches that can come with caffeine withdrawal

Magnesium helps eliminate peripheral nerve disturbances that can lead to migraines

There’s a strong correlation between migraines and hormonal fluctuations. Estrogen hormones (right before, during, or immediately after your period) can block the body’s absorption of magnesium, leading to low blood levels of this mineral.

A number of scientific studies found low levels of magnesium in people with migraines. Many women with monthly migraines have low blood levels of magnesium.

Remember that the more calcium you take, the more magnesium you need. Try cutting back on calcium while you increase your magnesium and see how this change affects your migraines.

Take equal amounts of calcium and magnesium. For most people on a healthy diet, 500 mg of each supplement should be enough.

If you have symptoms of magnesium deficiency (see above) – if you’re feeling edgy, have muscle cramps, suffer insomnia, crave chocolate, or notice increased urination, adjust your calcium-magnesium ratio, so that you’re taking at least as much magnesium or—ideally—twice as much magnesium as calcium.

400-1200 mg daily of Magnesium is helpful but use according to bowel tolerance. Your body knows how much magnesium you can tolerate from bowel tolerance – take as much magnesium as your bowels can tolerate

Calcium, magnesium, and many other minerals are best absorbed when they are bound to an acidic carrier such as citrate, aspartate, picolinate, or amino acid chelate. Minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used.

The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, oxide, sulfate, and gluconate. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements).

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

Most minerals are best taken as a team with other minerals in a multi-mineral formula.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

Vitamin B2 - Riboflavin – 400 mg of this nerve-soothing vitamin daily could cut off your headaches in half within 3 months.

Teas made with relaxing herbs like chamomile or valerian help

Try supplementing with ginger.

520 mg daily to prevent headaches and 1040 mg to treat them

Solgar Ginger Root capsules

OTHER TIPS

Headaches are a common symptom of a congested lymphatic system. Things that help to clear up the lymphatic system:

• Daily Rebounding

• Deep Breathing

• Daily Dry Body Brushing

• Massage and/or Reflexology

• Swinging

EPSOM SALTS BATH

Taking a hot bath with Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) is a good way to absorb and get much needed magnesium.

Tiger Balm - love this stuff

Dab a few drops of lavender essential oil on each temple and rub some around the hairline. Breathe deeply and relax. Repeat as needed.

Take a nap

Take middle finger and thumb of one hand, and grasp the webbing between thumb and forefinger on other hand, where you’ll probably feel a tender or sore point. Squeeze that point firmly for 40 seconds to one minute and then let go.

Stretch regularly to prevent tension headaches

EXERCISE – Begin with a daily 10-minute walk, take up a gentle yoga class, or try the slow movement of Tai Chi. Water aerobics and swimming help also.

The more you exercise, the less likely you are to suffer from tension headaches.

YOGA - Many yoga poses and the regular practice of yoga help relieve headaches.

If you don’t have vision problems or difficulty speaking, and you get frequent headaches, you may be experiencing rebound headaches triggered by OTC pain-relieving drugs. When taken just 3 times weekly, aspirin, ibuprofen, and similar meds can actually blunt the brain’s natural pain-control mechanisms. This makes a person highly susceptible to repeat headaches.

You should take no more than 1,000,000 mg of ibuprofen over the course of your life or you risk liver problems

When headache sufferers overuse pain meds, there’s often a rebound effect. Researchers suspect that the drugs may turn off the production of natural painkillers or lower your pain threshold.

Those containing caffeine, including Excedrin Migraine, are most likely to cause overuse headaches.

Track just about how many days a month you take headache medicine. If it adds up to 15 or more days, chances are the drugs are at fault.

Agreeing with all the great replies so far. Some tips:

Magnesium

Helps occasional headaches that can come with caffeine withdrawal

Magnesium helps eliminate peripheral nerve disturbances that can lead to migraines

There’s a strong correlation between migraines and hormonal fluctuations. Estrogen hormones (right before, during, or immediately after your period) can block the body’s absorption of magnesium, leading to low blood levels of this mineral.

A number of scientific studies found low levels of magnesium in people with migraines. Many women with monthly migraines have low blood levels of magnesium.

Remember that the more calcium you take, the more magnesium you need. Try cutting back on calcium while you increase your magnesium and see how this change affects your migraines.

Take equal amounts of calcium and magnesium. For most people on a healthy diet, 500 mg of each supplement should be enough.

If you have symptoms of magnesium deficiency (see above) – if you’re feeling edgy, have muscle cramps, suffer insomnia, crave chocolate, or notice increased urination, adjust your calcium-magnesium ratio, so that you’re taking at least as much magnesium or—ideally—twice as much magnesium as calcium.

400-1200 mg daily of Magnesium is helpful but use according to bowel tolerance. Your body knows how much magnesium you can tolerate from bowel tolerance – take as much magnesium as your bowels can tolerate

Calcium, magnesium, and many other minerals are best absorbed when they are bound to an acidic carrier such as citrate, aspartate, picolinate, or amino acid chelate. Minerals need an acidic base to break down and get used.

The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, oxide, sulfate, and gluconate. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements).

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

Most minerals are best taken as a team with other minerals in a multi-mineral formula.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

Vitamin B2 - Riboflavin – 400 mg of this nerve-soothing vitamin daily could cut off your headaches in half within 3 months.

Teas made with relaxing herbs like chamomile or valerian help

Try supplementing with ginger.

520 mg daily to prevent headaches and 1040 mg to treat them

Solgar Ginger Root capsules

OTHER TIPS

Headaches are a common symptom of a congested lymphatic system. Things that help to clear up the lymphatic system:

• Daily Rebounding

• Deep Breathing

• Daily Dry Body Brushing

• Massage and/or Reflexology

• Swinging

EPSOM SALTS BATH

Taking a hot bath with Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) is a good way to absorb and get much needed magnesium.

Tiger Balm - love this stuff

Dab a few drops of lavender essential oil on each temple and rub some around the hairline. Breathe deeply and relax. Repeat as needed.

Take a nap

Take middle finger and thumb of one hand, and grasp the webbing between thumb and forefinger on other hand, where you’ll probably feel a tender or sore point. Squeeze that point firmly for 40 seconds to one minute and then let go.

Stretch regularly to prevent tension headaches

EXERCISE – Begin with a daily 10-minute walk, take up a gentle yoga class, or try the slow movement of Tai Chi. Water aerobics and swimming help also.

The more you exercise, the less likely you are to suffer from tension headaches.

YOGA - Many yoga poses and the regular practice of yoga help relieve headaches.

If you don’t have vision problems or difficulty speaking, and you get frequent headaches, you may be experiencing rebound headaches triggered by OTC pain-relieving drugs. When taken just 3 times weekly, aspirin, ibuprofen, and similar meds can actually blunt the brain’s natural pain-control mechanisms. This makes a person highly susceptible to repeat headaches.

You should take no more than 1,000,000 mg of ibuprofen over the course of your life or you risk liver problems

When headache sufferers overuse pain meds, there’s often a rebound effect. Researchers suspect that the drugs may turn off the production of natural painkillers or lower your pain threshold.

Those containing caffeine, including Excedrin Migraine, are most likely to cause overuse headaches.

Track just about how many days a month you take headache medicine. If it adds up to 15 or more days, chances are the drugs are at fault.

What awesome advice!!!!!