Menu

How do you......

mommy25

raise children who love to read? I am so frustrated. I have several bookshelves with all kinds of excellent books, I take my kids to the library, and I read at night when I go to bed. So why don't they pick up these books and read them? Why does my oldest dd hate history? I assign them books to read but it is like pulling teeth to get them to finish them. It is a chore for them and they hate it. They do read - usually stuff they pick at the library but sometimes they don't finish those either.

I am mainly concerned with my 2 oldest ages 13 and 10 and both are girls. I want to change whatever I am doing wrong so that my young ones (6,5 and 2) will love all the books I have on my shelf!

HELP!!!!! :confused:

...in the responses too! Mine are still younger, but I'd love them to be eager readers.

There's a difference between enjoying reading and being avid readers. My DD at least enjoys reading, but would rather play dress-up, rollerskate, go outside, than read. Do they enjoy any of the assigned books?

How much are they involved with electronics? TV? Computer time? Ipod?

ugh...sounds like me. Me being like your girls that is.

I know what did it for me. TV. I certainly went out and played a lot. But when it was time to sit down and veg, the TV was always an option. My mind got used to being fed visual cues and it became impossible for me to stay with a book with too many characters. I even wanted to want to read, but it became hard and having the TV made it unnecessary to keep at it.

Even now. I really REALLY want to love to read. And I'm slowly ridding my life of TV. :)

I wasn't read to much either. Nor were my parents big readers. They weren't always watching TV or anything, but they just had other hobbies they liked to do. So, that may be some of it too.

I want my girls to love reading too. And yet what are they doing right now? Watching Tigger and Pooh. *sigh*

I'll be watching this thread with interest even though I already know what has to change here!

My children are readers. I don't know what I did that worked but here is what I did when they were little.

Plenty of books around. Picture books, felt books, story books, bath books, etc.

I read to them. A lot. If they came at me holding a book I stopped what I was doing (if I could) and read it to them. Believe me, if I never see Are you my mother? again I will be thrilled.

When they started reading on their own we shared reading the story. They read a sentence, then me. They read a page then me. At night-I would let them read me the bedtime story. They thought that was funny.

Bedtime always involved a story. After jammies and teeth brushing we snuggle up in the bed and read a story or 10. Now that they are 11 and 8 we still read together at bedtime. Not every night but most nights. Right now we are reading the Oz series.

I modeled my love of reading. I always have my nose in a book. My children saw me reading for my own enjoyment. They still see me doing that.

That said-my oldest will behave as if I asked him to remove a limb when it comes to History. No matter how fun the book. I think he feels about history the way I feel about ironing. It is not so bad once I start but the idea of it-ugh.

My SIL, who is a teacher, says doing all the things I did will not necessarilly create a reader. It is just setting the stage so the possibility can blossom.

I love, love, love reading, and I wanted my children to love it too. My husband will read once in a while, but he doesn't LOVE it.

Our house has books in every room. As soon as one of the boys express an interest in something (Star Wars, spiders, mummies, Yu-Gi-Oh, tornadoes . . . to name a few), I go out and get books about those topics that I think will interest them. I read aloud to them. I encourage reading time. They see me reading frequently.

Despite all this, only one of my boys (the younger one) truly loves to read. Recently I took them to the eye doctor, and it turns out that my older son, though he has 20/20 vision, has a focusing problem where one eye points slightly lower than the other, and that can make reading uncomfortable for him. He has glasses that are supposed to correct the problem, but he still does not prefer reading.

What about audio books? Do they enjoy listening to them?

I have the same problem here and I also don't know how to solve it. I LOVE to read and can never have enough books around. All my kids love to be read to, but only the little ones will intentionally pick up a book on their own.

If I think back to when I was little, I can clearly remember the absolute thrill I got when I realized I could read. That thrill has never gone away. Even in school, I couldn't wait to read about anything and everything, and wonder if that's why I loved school so much.

That being said, I only see this "trait" in my 5 year old. She loves the feel of a book. Loves the pictures. Loves the words. So I'm not sure. Maybe it's something that's either "there" or not?

:confused:

What has worked for my dd she can stay up a little later at night, but only if she is reading. Basically she is sent to her room for bed and while she is waiting for me to come and tuck her into bed she can read. We have done this for several years. When we started many times that would be the only time in the day that she would read. She would really get into a book, but would forget about it the next day. Now after years of doing this she asks to have free read during the day.

We also do many of the other suggestions posted in this thread, but I think the getting to stay up later if she is reading is what really worked for her.

Jan

I've always loved to read, but my brother hated it for the longest time. Now he reads Bible commentaries and other dry, academic books for FUN! My husband didn't like to read until he was... I think 8 or 9. Suddenly it all clicked for him and he read like crazy! My 7 1/2 yo nephew didn't pick up a book to read on his own until very recently. Now he reads to his younger siblings voluntarily:) All these have mommies who always read to them. Just keep up the reading and give it time. They may love it some day:)

I sent mine to bed earlier than they liked and told them they could read instead of falling asleep if they wanted to. When we did not get to the library, they were forced to get something from my bookshelf--either that or lights out.

It is amazing what my kids read. My teen boy was reading Scarlett Letter at bed time a while ago!!! LOL! He did NOT read willingly when he was younger. There is still hope.

:)Jean

My oldest son(who has worked in a Christian School now for 20 yrs) says that he has had to come to an understanding that all children are not going to be readers. This doesn't mean that they can't read well, just that it isn't a passion in them.

I totally agree with the one post about all the visual stimulation that we have going and it affecting the desire to read.

My dd loves to read and my ds is starting to get there. I always read when I go to bed and a couple of months ago my dd asked if she could start doing that. We put a clip lamp on her bed and she reads as long as she is in bed early enough and had to have the light off by 9:30. Ds has started to catch on also and wanted a light like dd's so we did the same with him. My dh has been reading to him when he goes to bed which is wonderful as he has rarely done this.

I would love for them to both have a true love of reading but time will tell.

We do the bedtime reading thing but sometimes it does not happen because both of my older girls share a room. They would rather sit in there and talk.

Neither one have a cell phone or an ipod which seems to be common place anymore. I am really feeling the pressure from my 13 yo about getting an ipod or a cell phone. Tomorrow is her B-day and she has asked for either one of these. I haven't got a present yet because I am so torn. I don't want electronics to eat away at time that I would rather her be reading! And yet all of her friends have one or the other.

Tv has been an issue. I have been trying really hard to limit it. It is hard because, unfortunately, I use it too much with my little ones so that I can get something done.

My SIL, who is a teacher, says doing all the things I did will not necessarilly create a reader. It is just setting the stage so the possibility can blossom.

I think this is true - some people are more prone to be readers, but setting the stage can really help. When dh was little, reading and books were not a priority and he doesn't like to read. We created an atmosphere of reading books to our dc when they were little and having lots and lots of quality books in the house for them to chose from, while limiting TV and computer time, and both dc are voracious readers.

But an interesting side note - my mom and her siblings were raised by my grandma after their dad left the family when they were all small. Their father (my grandfather, who I never met) was a reader. My grandma, wasn't, and really didn't have time anyway while raising 6 kids as a single parent. However, my mom and her 2 sisters are readers and send boxes of books back and forth to each other. There seems to be some genetic tendency, since their father left when they were little and they didn't have that model of reading while growing up.

I eliminate TV for months at a time if it becomes a problem. Eventually they get bored enough to read.

This didn't even occur to me when I was posting earlier, but my siblings and I used to watch a LOT of TV while we were growing up (we were homeschooled also) . . . we'd do our work for the day and then watch Get Smart, F-Troop, Hogan's Heroes, Green Acres, and lots of other old reruns. (Yes, I'm dating myself here!)

A bad storm came through and our TV got zapped by lightning, and my dad simply didn't replace it. We were without a TV for over two years. I think that was the turning point for us! We all were readers before, but that turned us into avid and FAST readers, because we were getting all that practice!

Unfortunately, my husband is the biggest TV addict in the house. Those methods would never fly here. :glare:

Of my three children, one is an avid reader, one enjoys reading if the subject is one that interests him, and one would rather do other things, but will read occasionally. DH & I are both avid readers, as are his parents. Our philosophy on books has always been "You can never have tooo many books, just too few bookshleves." :lol:

We go to the library at least twice a week, DD even has her favorite librarians. LOL

I agree that not all people are going to have a passion for reading; all we can do is set the stage and lead the way.

Sounds like the OP is setting the stage very nicely. My first guess in these situations is always, always, always "screen time."

It would be nice if kids chose reading over screen time, but it doesn't always happen that way, even with kids who love to read. My kids get plenty of screen time (wii, computer, tv) but they get no screen time during typical school hours. They generally finish school pretty early, so that leaves hours to spare most days. Hours that they must fill, it is never filled with screen time.

imo, that just naturally leads to more active play and more reading. if a child chooses not to read, that's fine, too, because the remaining choices are still miles ahead of screen time: playing outside, drawing, crafts, legos, whatever. but it's almost inevitable that some of that time will get filled with reading.

I've had moms express surprise at the amount of time my kids spend reading and doing 'unusual' things like kid-led crafts, baking, playing games, etc. My response is that your kids would do more of it if they had less screen time, and my kids would certainly do less of it if they had more screen time. My kids don't have superior time-management skills or motivation, lol; they veg out on the couch just as happily as the next kid whenever they can.

so, how much screen time do they have? remember to add up ALL their screens - video games, computer, texting, television. we personally don't have a set amount of screen time, it's enough that the kids know not to ask until late afternoon at best (and then they have an early bedtime!).

I would also add that some children who aren't avid readers are actually poor readers, but sight words have disguised the fact, I explain why in my "Why Johnny Doesn't Like to Read" page:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/aliterate.html

You can give your child the MWIA to see how they read sight words vs. normal phonetic words, if they miss more phonetic words than sight words or read the phonetic words more than 15% slower than the holistic words, phonics with nonsense words to break the sight word guessing habits should help. The MWIA and some other reading tests are here:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

I think, after reading other posts, that it has more to do with screen time than anything else. One of the major problems we have is Facebook. I wish this was never invented!!!!! My oldest is always saying, "mom can I just check my status really quick?", even when she knows there is no facebook during the day (at least until 4 pm). Even still, it is always on her mind.

I have had their reading tested every year and they always test above grade level. So I don't think that is the problem. I have listened to them read aloud too and they do very well with only an occassional mistake. I have seen them get through difficult material (slowly) but they do fine.

If I had it my way, I would get rid of the Tv (or severly limit it), no electronics and no Facebook! My kids would be so upset with me - especially my 13 yo. I know this is probably not realistic - I just wish she showed some interest in reading interesting, challenging books.

Quote:

imo, that just naturally leads to more active play and more reading. if a child chooses not to read, that's fine, too, because the remaining choices are still miles ahead of screen time: playing outside, drawing, crafts, legos, whatever. but it's almost inevitable that some of that time will get filled with reading.

I've had moms express surprise at the amount of time my kids spend reading and doing 'unusual' things like kid-led crafts, baking, playing games, etc. My response is that your kids would do more of it if they had less screen time, and my kids would certainly do less of it if they had more screen time. My kids don't have superior time-management skills or motivation, lol; they veg out on the couch just as happily as the next kid whenever they can.

This describes how my oldest USED to be. I think it is something about being 13. Her interests have changed.

What has worked for my dd she can stay up a little later at night, but only if she is reading. Basically she is sent to her room for bed and while she is waiting for me to come and tuck her into bed she can read.

This is what worked here. Bedtime got pushed back thirty minutes - as long as they were reading. Worked like a charm. ;)

I love reading myself and always wanted so much for my kids to be readers too. I guess the first thing I did to take steps in that direction was that I prayed about it. I specifically prayed each day for my kids to love to read. When my daughter, who is my oldest, was young, I would get books out of the library for her and I would always read with alot of excitement and change my voice for each of the characters and shout if the character was shouting or make silly faces if they were being silly and she used to crack up and then stick her face closer into the book to try to see if that is what the book really said. She was the one that wanted to read and so I started teaching her. She has been reading on her own ever since. She loves books and always has one in her hand although she does like tv and computer too. With my son, it is totally different. He has severe Autism so everything with him is different, but I still prayed that he would love books and he does too. He is actually teaching himself to read and his very favorite things in the world are Veggie Tales books. I think fun stories, with bright colored pictures read aloud with alot of emotion and excitement worked for me and above it all prayer. I hope this helps. :)

I have had their reading tested every year and they always test above grade level. So I don't think that is the problem. I have listened to them read aloud too and they do very well with only an occassional mistake. I have seen them get through difficult material (slowly) but they do fine.

If I had it my way, I would get rid of the Tv (or severly limit it), no electronics and no Facebook! My kids would be so upset with me - especially my 13 yo. I know this is probably not realistic - I just wish she showed some interest in reading interesting, challenging books.

I would check with the MWIA just to be sure. I've had several children reading at grade level who needed a bit of phonics review, they started reading a lot more after working through my lessons and Webster's Speller. While I've never had anyone reading above grade level who did have a hidden phonics problem, Don Potter has had several students who were above grade level that showed up with problems on the MWIA.

It just takes a few minutes to check!

You could try a month of no TV. We were almost totally TV free in Germany, all we had was international CNN and TV in German, our German wasn't good enough to enjoy watching TV in German. We made a decision to get rid of our TV when we returned. We do watch movies on our computer, but it is nice not having a TV, it's easy to get sucked in when it's just sitting there and there might be something on.

We didn't watch much TV, but we got a lot more accomplished when we didn't have it there as an option. It takes more than a few weeks to get used to not having it around and start appreciating having it gone.

If you want kids to be avid readers, read to them! Don't stop just because they are old enough to read themselves. Don't stop until they are avid readers and want to read faster than you can read. If you read through all the posts that say my child is an avid reader, they all say "I read to them". Many people stop as soon as the child learns to read, but for most kids that is too soon. Children can't read at their interest level until well after that and so they lose interest in reading. If you continue to read to them, EVERY night at bedtime is a great habit (in groups is fine), then they will learn to love the content of books. Then gradually they will want to find that content on their own.

We finally stopped reading to my son when each book we started he would finish before we could come back for day two :lol: That is when you know your job is done. I still read with my dd at every opportunity. She is a great reader, but not avid yet.

A conversation I had with a mom 1-year ago:

her: (something about all the advanced books her kid was devouring)

me: I'm still trying to get my dd caught up in reading. She's made some progress but still isn't "grade level". I wish she enjoyed reading!

her: well, it's because I always modeled a love of reading. I always read to them, took them to the library, had lots of books around...

me: (dumbfounded and depressed)

I went home and wrote down everything I had done to encourage a love of reading. It was a huge list that looked something like this:

read aloud to her before birth

at age 9 mths started taking her to weekly library story time until she was 5 years old.

Brought home piles of books from the library regularly. Let her pick out books, found good quality books from booklists.

Read aloud daily/nightly

Read for my own enjoyment, so my children see it modeled.

...and the list goes on and on! I did EVERYTHING I could do to produce children that loved reading. And I learned something outrageous last year - sometimes, they just don't. Sometimes no matter how much we pour into them, they don't catch what we're pouring out. And it's OK! Maybe that just isn't their strength, or their gift, or whatever.

Since last year, my dd has made big improvements in her reading. And, I've even seen her read for enjoyment - now, those times only come at bedtime (when avoiding sleep), in the morning (when avoiding school), or in time out (when avoiding boredom due to discipline, LOL). During the day, she'll definitely choose to play instead of read. She'll choose whining about being bored over reading. And she is so picky about what she will read, that it makes it difficult to find reading material for her. She'll never be the kind of kid that picks up anything just to read it. In an effort to get her "loving" to read, I brought home a TON of books from various genres, most of which got rejected. For awhile there, my efforts seemed completely futile! But eventually I landed on something (3 word long garfield comics, LOL). From there, it gave me an edge to try to find other things sort of like it, or help her to branch out into longer literature (7 word sentences, instead of 3 word thought bubbles, LOL). Anyhow, I write all this - not to make suggestions or tell you you did something wrong - really just to tell you that you've done everything right, and "well done!", and it's OK if all your efforts didn't take root (...yet). My husband hated reading until after we got married and I started reading aloud to him, LOL. After that point, he started picking up the books and finishing them. So...his love of reading didn't catch until he was 21! There's still time for your older ones, and you never know what influences will help them catch a love of reading:)

Both of my children love to read (or be read to for the non-reader), so I don't have any good advice for converting a child that doesn't love to read. Whether it has made a difference, this is what we have done:

* I read to my kids a lot, even to the one who can read to herself.

* We have a house filled with books.

* We go to the library often and check out the maximum amount of books, some their choice and some mine.

* They see me read often.

* Screen time is limited.

...and the list goes on and on! I did EVERYTHING I could do to produce children that loved reading. And I learned something outrageous last year - sometimes, they just don't. Sometimes no matter how much we pour into them, they don't catch what we're pouring out.

I'm sorry, but you don't even have a child old enough to have a love of reading yet :lol: My first just started to really love reading at 8, my second just turned 10 is in 4th grade and reads at an 8th grade level. She is just getting there. You aren't done yet. Don't say I DID everything, say I am doing everything I can and keep going!!

If you want kids to be avid readers, read to them! Don't stop just because they are old enough to read themselves. Don't stop until they are avid readers and want to read faster than you can read. If you read through all the posts that say my child is an avid reader, they all say "I read to them". Many people stop as soon as the child learns to read, but for most kids that is too soon. Children can't read at their interest level until well after that and so they lose interest in reading. If you continue to read to them, EVERY night at bedtime is a great habit (in groups is fine), then they will learn to love the content of books. Then gradually they will want to find that content on their own.

We finally stopped reading to my son when each book we started he would finish before we could come back for day two :lol: That is when you know your job is done. I still read with my dd at every opportunity. She is a great reader, but not avid yet.

I consider this "setting the stage." It's definitely not a given though (my dh is a prime example).

I went home and wrote down everything I had done to encourage a love of reading. It was a huge list that looked something like this:

read aloud to her before birth

at age 9 mths started taking her to weekly library story time until she was 5 years old.

Brought home piles of books from the library regularly. Let her pick out books, found good quality books from booklists.

Read aloud daily/nightly

Read for my own enjoyment, so my children see it modeled.

...and the list goes on and on! I did EVERYTHING I could do to produce children that loved reading. And I learned something outrageous last year - sometimes, they just don't. Sometimes no matter how much we pour into them, they don't catch what we're pouring out. And it's OK! Maybe that just isn't their strength, or their gift, or whatever.

I agree. Not thrilled at all about it, but I agree.:tongue_smilie:

Yes! I know this is what I am supposed to do! We do read - just not routinely. I guess once I get all the "basics" done for everybody I am too tired. It takes A LOT for me to stay awake or alert to do it. I keep thinking I should make reading to them the first part of the day instead of the afternoon or bedtime.

If you want kids to be avid readers, read to them!
Edited by mommy25

Yes, you are right. It doesn't hurt to check! Thanks!

I would check with the MWIA just to be sure. I've had several children reading at grade level who needed a bit of phonics review, they started reading a lot more after working through my lessons and Webster's Speller. While I've never had anyone reading above grade level who did have a hidden phonics problem, Don Potter has had several students who were above grade level that showed up with problems on the MWIA.

It just takes a few minutes to check!

You could try a month of no TV. We were almost totally TV free in Germany, all we had was international CNN and TV in German, our German wasn't good enough to enjoy watching TV in German. We made a decision to get rid of our TV when we returned. We do watch movies on our computer, but it is nice not having a TV, it's easy to get sucked in when it's just sitting there and there might be something on.

We didn't watch much TV, but we got a lot more accomplished when we didn't have it there as an option. It takes more than a few weeks to get used to not having it around and start appreciating having it gone.

I love reading myself and always wanted so much for my kids to be readers too. I guess the first thing I did to take steps in that direction was that I prayed about it. I specifically prayed each day for my kids to love to read. :)

Thank you! I pray about so many things and yet I have failed to pray about this!

Two avid readers here. There's no guarantees but here's what seems to work here:

1) Reading aloud. DDs are 12 and 9 now but we still read aloud almost every night. Try to read aloud a level or two above where your children are capable of reading to themselves.

2) Paired reading. This takes time and patience but it's gotten us over a hump or two when they seemed to stop progressing. This is where the parent reads a page and then the child reads a page. You can trade off paragraphs or chapters too.

3) Allowing them to stay up later but only if they are in bed and reading.

4) Similar to #3, make reading the best of the available options. I'll sometimes let my DDs get out of household chores, but only if they are reading. We've also been known to let school subjects slide for a day if they are really involved in their reading.

I've also noticed that the amount of reading naturally ebbs and flows. Sometimes they will be reading constantly for a week or so and then a period of time will go by where they do little reading.

Pegasus

What do they do instead of reading? Do they have open access to TV and computers during the day? Or are there other things that they're spending their time on? If so, removing those might make reading a more interesting option for them, maybe?

If you're reading to them on a daily basis, and if they see you reading, yourself, for pleasure on a regular basis. It would seem that with time a love of reading might be engendered. Perhaps books on tape might be helpful, too?

I don't know, I'm just casting around for ideas, myself....

Dh and I thought that we had raised our kids to love soccer. We did everything right and we don't have any soccer players -- no matter what we did. Dh and I both played for many years (10+) and no matter how much playing and teaching we did with the kids and signing them up for soccer they just aren't interested. A couple of our kids are good athletes but none are interested in our soccer. What have we done wrong???? :tongue_smilie:

I think if you change soccer to reading or math or science or cooking or any other thing you'll find that some people just aren't interested in what we're interested in not matter how good for them it is :).

BTW, I'm an avid reader, as is dh and we only have 2 that really love to read. The other two would rather clean their room than read a book (and yes, I've given them the choice). They two that aren't interested in reading do read and can read but it isn't what they like to do. The older who doesn't like to read, in 8th grade, was reading at a high school level in 6th grade. The younger who doesn't like to read is the one who struggles with comprehension (but not decoding as that has been evaluated at a 6th grade level even though she's in 3rd grade).

Interestingly, in our house the two that like to read are the ones that like screen time the most while the two that don't like to read are less likely to watch tv. They prefer to play outside and more active play -- just not soccer :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Mandamom

We had to take away everything electronic. Now they only get those things on a limited basis on weekends. Now when they are looking for something to do (besides play outside), they pick up a book. I can't say they love it, but they are now actively pursuing reading.

My two oldest were good readers but didn't choose to read of their own free will until they were 10.

3rd dd recently turned 11 and it just isn't her thing. She can read but won't pick up a book unless it is in the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series.

my youngest just started to enjoy reading on his own. He has always enjoyed having me read to him at bedtime but just recently would pick up a book to read for himself. So what was the trigger you might ask??? I bought a couple of old books off of ebay and believe it or not, he loves the 'feel' of the pages. He is just starting to read Robinson Crusoe a 1946 printing with beautiful illustrations and pages with a thicker paper weight in an unabridged hardcover version. Even as I type this, I think it's crazy but he gravitates toward these type of older books! He is also enjoying the story which he told me the other day after reading a little bit that Mr. Defoe writes long sentences with a lot of detail! :001_smile:

I guess you just never know what might excite the passion!

What do they do instead of reading? Do they have open access to TV and computers during the day? Or are there other things that they're spending their time on? If so, removing those might make reading a more interesting option for them, maybe? ....

Well, there are 7 of us total so the kids are busy interacting with each other. Their are many chores and meals to prepare with lots of clean up. When you put this with their academic subjects, it makes for a busy day. Plus they all love being outside. We live on a beautiful lot with lots of trees, trampolline, playground, basketball goal and chickens! They do have time in the evening to read but, for some reason, they have gotten out of the habit.

My dd has unlimited access to TV, computer, video games when school is not in session. Still, you will often find her in her room reading. I wouldn't call her an avid reader, but she likes to read and does so more than some of her friends.

I let her read what she wants on her time. School time is different - there is required reading. But, there have been many times she has taken one of her literature selections to her room and disappeared (especially this year with LL7).

The key is finding something they like to read and can't wait to pick up again IMO. The kid's idea of what they like and the parent's idea of what the kid should like are often very different and I think that often gets in the way of kids enjoying reading.

My dh has a masters degree and hates to read. He says reading is like watching something in slow motion. He can't read fast enough to make a book come "alive".

My oldest dd didn't start to love to read until she was 11. She started reading Harry Potter about 10 times. I honestly have no idea how many times she read the first page LOL! After she finally made it through the book; she became an avid reader.

I was the same way. I didn't become an avid reading until I was in 7th grade. I was a great reader, I just couldn't get past the first couple of pages of books. I hated all the descriptions of things and wanted to get into the "action". I started skipping the first chapters of books and once the action was going, I would go back and read the first chapter to get the back ground info. This may seem crazy, but it worked. I also only read fantasy books. They were the only types of book that could keep my interest.

You may have a lot of great book, but are they book that interest your dc? They may interest you and be considered great, but may not interest your dc.

Several book that are considered "great" that I have tried and tried to read are---Lord of the Rings, Christy, Red Badge of Courage, Tale of Two Cities and Sense and Sensibility.:w00t: I know they are great "classics", but they bored me to tears. I don't like the language and style in which they are written. Some of the books are just too descriptive (I honestly don't care what each tree in the forest looks like!!!!!) and it drives me crazy when people call each other by there last names (Mr. Darcy or Miss Bennett, which Miss Bennett is talking?).

I would try to find books that your kids think they would like to read, even if you don't think it is a "good" book to read (as long as it doesn't go against your belief system).

Sometimes "twaddle" is necessary to stoke up the fire.

Edited by Tabrett

....You may have a lot of great book, but are they book that interest your dc? They may interest you and be considered great, but may not interest your dc.

I would try to find books that your kids think they would like to read, even if you don't think it is a "good" book to read (as long as it doesn't go against your belief system).

Some times "twaddle" is necessary to stoke up the fire.

I agree. Once you find the "key" - whatever it is that makes reading attractive your your child, then you can build on that. No matter what the genre is, there are variations among the books in the genre.

My boys would never read, they want to do. I read to the kids, and I require that the kids read real books. We use AO so they read a lot of different books. My son will tell you he hates it, but he does read, and he can always tell me what he read about. My yougest dd always complains of the book selections, but she reads them and loves to read in general.

Listening to books in the car has also helped. My kids love audio books. A good reader can really bring a story alive.

What other sources of entertainment do they have? I have no sure-fire recipe, but I do know that limiting screen time (weekends only and limited then around here) leads to more reading.

I think it may help to have a family culture of reading too: if the children see that reading is a big part of their parents' lives, that may make it more natural for the children.

Best wishes

Laura

Best wishes

Laura

I haven't read all the posts, this is a long thread, so I apologise if repeat what has been said.

OK burn the TV, but another technique is DEAR, which stands for Drop Everything And Read. Here you pick a time during the day (i would start with at least 20 mins and work up to an hour ....OK its time consuming but reading is the most important thing, right?) and you all read. Everyone who is in the house reads, everything else is dropped. Here are the rules

1. Everyone reads

2. everyone gets to choose their own reading material

3. Collect what you want to read before you start to prevent unnecessary getting up and down.

4. No-body is allowed to criticize anybody else's reading choice. If your 10 year old chooses "Where's Spot?" let him (although he's going to get bored...so you might suggest he has another book on hand in case he finishes that one :lol:)

5. Nobody is asked to give a report, narration or any other type of Quiz after the reading time.

6. Nobody has to make a record in any way of what they have read.

7. If you need the toilet, go quietly, but DON'T TAKE YOUR BOOK. (other people may need the loo as well!!!)

8. Some people like to set a timer, I did at first so they knew it wouldn't go on all day, but later when they are into it maybe just let it go on.

9. The most important of all....you read too, no phone calls, no computers, no kindle's etc.

It is VITAL to take away all reporting or narration. Don't even make a list of what they are reading yourself, they know if you are checking on them. Its important to let them choose their own books. My ds started with comic books, Calvin and Hobbes, and moved onto Asterix. he stayed with these type of choices for over a year (he was 10) then he moved to chapter books and now he is an avid reader.