Menu

Singapore CWP going out of print

nmoira

There's a sticky at the Singapore Math forums about this.

I just ordered a set for my younger child. Rather irked I used our first set as consumables.

Edited by nmoira

There's a sticky at the Singapore Math forums about this.

I just ordered a set for my younger child. Rather irked I used our first set as consumables.

Oh no - well that stinks. Now I need to buy the whole set. Maybe have the bindings cut and put them in page protectors. I guess they are now made of gold.

Thanks for the heads-up.

What does this mean to me? Do I go buy the whole series? We have none yet.

Would using the "Standards Edition" not line up with CWPs? Or should it not matter?

And they won't have a new edition? Seems strange, and I'm confused.

Help me :001_smile:

Bill

Now I'm wondering...to buy or not to buy? My daughter is better at word problems than regular math, she's very verbal. She has no need for extra word problems, challenging or not. She has a need for the IP books, if they were going out of sale, I'd buy a set of those in a heartbeat.

My son is a boy, pretty verbal for a boy, but nothing like my daughter was at the same age. I can tell he's going to be better at math than her and will do well with Singapore, but will he need the CWPs?

How annoying.

OK, people. Please don't write on yours so you can sell them to me in a few years if I need them! We're going to move this summer, the summer after that, then every 18 to 24 months after than until my husband retires. I don't want to drag around a bunch of CWP books that I may not need.

Would using the "Standards Edition" not line up with CWPs? Or should it not matter?

And they won't have a new edition? Seems strange, and I'm confused

I'd ask Jenny at the Singapore forums. The CWP books are not published by Marshall Cavendish, SingaporeMath.com, or co-published by the two, as are the other Primary Maths materials.

Some topics in the Standards Edition are shuffled around relative to the US Edition (and most if not all Singaporean references have been stripped), but the underlying material is the same. There is a small number of topics in the Standards Edition which will not have corresponding sections in CWP (negative numbers, co-ordinate graphing, basic probability). You shouldn't need the first book, as it consists of one step problems that are fairly obvious addition and subtraction questions you could make up yourself.

My daughter is better at word problems than regular math, she's very verbal. She has no need for extra word problems, challenging or not.

I notice that your daughter is very young... While I think you may well be right in the earlier grades, I think the challenging word problems really do add a great deal even for (maybe even especially) math-gifted students. They really don't simply offer more, but also deeper work than what is given in the regular textbooks and workbooks... Certainly there's greater variety in the Intensive Practice books, but the CWP books also add to the program as a whole...

And they won't have a new edition? Seems strange, and I'm confused.

Help me :001_smile:

Bill

As to the questions of the standards edition, I did find this answer.

Yes. Since some new material has been added to the standards editions, not all concepts will be in the CWP. You will have to switch the order of a few topics - for example, money in CWP 3 will have to be done later. But there should not be any more difficult to use them with the standards edition as with the US edition (the challenge problems will still be challenging and will still sometimes require thought processes not yet taught in the main curriculum, but there will be a bit of instruction on those types in the HIGs for the standards edition, at least for the most troublesome ones, under extension problems.)

I'm confused as well. I had been thinking about getting these. And if my dd is anything like me, she will need the extra word problem practice. Thanks for the heads up, I think I might just go ahead and order. Hmm. Or just follow Bill's lead :)

Heather

Well, I bought the last of the CWP books that I will need for my boys. Thankfully, I only needed to buy 4 of them.

As far as putting the clear sheets on them and wiping them off, I've decided I NEED the previous book with the 2nd child. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure some of these problems out for myself, so when child #2 rolls around, I just pull out child #1's book and I have it all done in front of me. I don't want to have to figure out some of those problems again!!!

I wonder if this has something to do with the switch to Standards and the public school getting hold of this series. I hope no furthr dumbing down is going to occur. :(
This is not the case. CWP is published by a different publisher than the rest of the series. The Standards Edition is not a watered down version of Primary Maths.

Oh wise ones,

Please help out a Singapore newbie. I just pulled my dd from 3rd grade ps at Christmas and we are working through Primary Math 2A US edition. She's a non-mathy kid, but we're sticking with Singapore. What should I buy? I currently only own the workbooks for 2A and 2B because my curriculum includes hands on activities. Next year, however, I have to buy the textbook/workbook combo for 3A/3B because my curriculum doesn't include any activities, so we are on our own. What else should a non-mathy mom buy to work with a non-mathy kid? I see a Teachers Guide. A Home Instructors Guide. Extra practice. Intensive Practice. CWP.

What do you recommend?

Also, keep in mind Frank Schaffer publications is coming out with a line of Singapore Standards supplements, so I'm wondering if they've included any of those cwp's in there.
They do have some word problem books coming out, with titles like "70 Essential Word Problems for Grade X" or some such. However, I'm skeptical about any US "Singapore Math" product not released by SingaporeMath.com, given the high level of support and the attention and work they've put into their offerings.

Or just follow Bill's lead :)

Heather

My lead??? Don't follow my lead, I'm lost! :D

Certainly there's greater variety in the Intensive Practice books, but the CWP books also add to the program as a whole...

Abbey, could you or Moira (or anyone else?) explain to me very. slowly. what the differences are between the he Intensive Practice books and the Complex Word Problems?

Researching this has been on my agenda for some time, and now this announcement appear to be forcing my hand. I'm still not sure what's what? :001_huh:

Help!

I'd ask Jenny at the Singapore forums.

Excellent! Will you let us know what she says? ;)

Some topics in the Standards Edition are shuffled around relative to the US Edition (and most if not all Singaporean references have been stripped), but the underlying material is the same. There is a small number of topics in the Standards Edition which will not have corresponding sections in CWP (negative numbers, co-ordinate graphing, basic probability). You shouldn't need the first book, as it consists of one step problems that are fairly obvious addition and subtraction questions you could make up yourself.

No worries there, I can manage a little sequence shuffling. The only concern is if they come up with a new seriies base on the Stands Edition?

Bill

Abbey, could you or Moira (or anyone else?) explain to me very. slowly. what the differences are between the he Intensive Practice books and the Complex Word Problems?
The IP books follow the text and workbook topic order. The biggest difference is that they assume previous mastery of the topic. There is a revision section, but it often requires the students to make an extra leap relative to the workbook to demonstrate understanding. New material generally isn't introduced, but sometimes different ways of looking at concepts are. Next is a section of word problems a bit tougher than those in the workbook. The last section, "Take the Challenge," typically contains very difficult questions. Jenny's long to-do list includes a Standards Edition IP.

CWP books have worked examples of problems followed by two sections of questions per topic (some topics from the text/workbook are omitted). Some techniques are introduced ahead of those in the text. For example, bar diagramming is introduced in CWP 3, but not until 4A in the text/workbooks. The first CWP section follows the patterns in the worked examples, but it is the second, Challenging, section which is the heart of CWP. These problems are more difficult than those in the text or the IP.

Excellent! Will you let us know what she says? ;)
Ah Bill, you don't even have to register to post. ;)

It's a $50 gamble, at least if you don't get CWP 1. I'd rather be safe than sorry in this case because the CWP books really are that good.

I notice that your daughter is very young... While I think you may well be right in the earlier grades, I think the challenging word problems really do add a great deal even for (maybe even especially) math-gifted students. They really don't simply offer more, but also deeper work than what is given in the regular textbooks and workbooks... Certainly there's greater variety in the Intensive Practice books, but the CWP books also add to the program as a whole...

Thanks for the explanation, I was actually still thinking about buying them just in case, I really do like Singapore and the way it explains things, I'll probably go ahead now. We're already carting around 3,000 books every move, what's 6 more?

(We're actually seriously considering constructing a Thomas Jefferson style box-bookcase mentioned recently, it's a pain to reshelve them every time we more, they're never in exactly the same order, especially when my husband does the books!)

My daughter is not naturally good with numbers, but is good at puzzles. The Intensive Practice (IP) books have challenging problems not found in the workbooks that are generally puzzle-type math problems. She is good at them, and also enjoys a break from the normal problems when we get to those sections.

We actually work from the IP book, it also has all the things the workbook has, if she needs extra practice in an area, I'm planning on "supplementing" with the workbook. (So far, we haven't needed to do that.)

Singapore math is really helping her number sense, as well. She's coming along!

No worries there, I can manage a little sequence shuffling. The only concern is if they come up with a new seriies base on the Stands Edition?

Bill

I did some searching over on the Singapore forums, IP will be coming out with a new series based on standards edition. But CWP is simply going OOP. Jenny said IP Standards will be out possibily next year or some levels will be out this year. And "CWP is just word problems. Both of these never did line up lesson by lesson with the US textbook anyway, just, in the case of IP, unit by unit, and, in the case of CWP, sequence."

The IP books follow the text and workbook topic order. The biggest difference is that they assume previous mastery of the topic. There is a revision section, but it often requires the students to make an extra leap relative to the workbook to demonstrate understanding. New material generally isn't introduced, but sometimes different ways of looking at concepts are. Next is a section of word problems a bit tougher than those in the workbook. The last section, "Take the Challenge," typically contains very difficult questions. Jenny's long to-do list includes a Standards Edition IP.

CWP books have worked examples of problems followed by two sections of questions per topic (some topics from the text/workbook are omitted). Some techniques are introduced ahead of those in the text. For example, bar diagramming is introduced in CWP 3, but not until 4A in the text/workbooks. The first CWP section follows the patterns in the worked examples, but it is the second, Challenging, section which is the heart of CWP. These problems are more difficult than those in the text or the IP.

Ah Bill, you don't even have to register to post. ;)

It's a $50 gamble, at least if you don't get CWP 1. I'd rather be safe than sorry in this case because the CWP books really are that good.

You saw though my diabolical plot to put the burned on you ;)

Thank you so much for the explanation of the difference between the IP and the CWP. I half-way understand it. I not generally so obtuse, but somehow I'm slow on the uptake on this.

Bottom line, I'd need (or want) both anyway?

And if you say to not miss getting CWP (which you do) that's good enough for me. No #1? Would it be worth-while just to get the little man used to word-problems?

I did some searching over on the Singapore forums, IP will be coming out with a new series based on standards edition. But CWP is simply going OOP. Jenny said IP Standards will be out possibily next year or some levels will be out this year. And "CWP is just word problems. Both of these never did line up lesson by lesson with the US textbook anyway, just, in the case of IP, unit by unit, and, in the case of CWP, sequence."

Good, so I'll follow your lead :lol:

Bill

My daughter is not naturally good with numbers, but is good at puzzles. The Intensive Practice (IP) books have challenging problems not found in the workbooks that are generally puzzle-type math problems. She is good at them, and also enjoys a break from the normal problems when we get to those sections.

We actually work from the IP book, it also has all the things the workbook has, if she needs extra practice in an area, I'm planning on "supplementing" with the workbook. (So far, we haven't needed to do that.)

Singapore math is really helping her number sense, as well. She's coming along!

Young William seems to love puzzles and numbers (and challenges) so I may have to go "all-in" and get both.

Bill

And if you say to not miss getting CWP (which you do) that's good enough for me. No #1? Would it be worth-while just to get the little man used to word-problems?
If money is no issue, it wouldn't hurt to get it, but there's nothing there you can't make up yourself.

Oh wise ones,

Please help out a Singapore newbie. I just pulled my dd from 3rd grade ps at Christmas and we are working through Primary Math 2A US edition. She's a non-mathy kid, but we're sticking with Singapore. What should I buy? I currently only own the workbooks for 2A and 2B because my curriculum includes hands on activities. Next year, however, I have to buy the textbook/workbook combo for 3A/3B because my curriculum doesn't include any activities, so we are on our own. What else should a non-mathy mom buy to work with a non-mathy kid? I see a Teachers Guide. A Home Instructors Guide. Extra practice. Intensive Practice. CWP.

What do you recommend?

These books are not crushingly expensive, and you can resell pristine ones. Because I never know which topics kiddo is going to blow through and which I need to go over and over, I have the intensive practice, the extra practice, the home instructor's guide, AND the CWP, although the CWP is often referred to as "something you use a grade lower" (i.e. use one for those working on two level text). I have found that math is a bit of applying the seat of one's pants to the seat of one's chair, and some days we just aren't ready for a new topic, and I like being able to pull out a review. Helps me see what is sticking, or gives him the extra practice, whichever is needed. YMMV.

If you get all the "extras" for this year, you'll know your/your child's needs for next. HTH. Welcome to homeschool and Singapore math!! And our board!

Edited by kalanamak

Good, so I'll follow your lead :lol:

Bill

Well, I went ahead and ordered all 6 of CWP. So, follow away :lol:

You may need to go all "in" and get the IP as well, but at least you can wait til you get there for deciding on those. You do have quite a bit of math going on at once. :lol:

Well, I went ahead and ordered all 6 of CWP. So, follow away :lol:

You may need to go all "in" and get the IP as well, but at least you can wait til you get there for deciding on those. You do have quite a bit of math going on at once. :lol:

I think I will tomorrow. I would now, but I couldn't find the HIGs for Standards Edition 1 (which is supposedly ready) on an order page. Is it there and I'm missing it?

Bill

Thanks for this post -- I can't believe these are going oop. :sad: I just placed my own order at RR.

Also, I wanted to make a note about something I haven't seen mentioned here: the bar diagramming method is preliminarily introduced in the 2nd part of CWP 1 and again in CWP 2. Of course, the more complex problems do not appear until CWP 3, but I just love that my dd 7.5 began to learn the method back in level 1. I am re-purchasing CWP 1 for my dd 6 for this reason.

My order is backordered from RR......:lol:

Hmmmm, do you all think RR will be able to get more in stock, then, if they're just backordered and still available for purchase? Or at this point should we be ordering from Singapore directly (or an alternate like Sonlight)?

Any suggestions for those who are sitting on the fence still?