Menu

S/O What careers are your older children in, or working towards?

Guest Virginia Dawn

Guest Virginia Dawn

My dd had aspirations to be a graphic designer but right now is a sahm babysitting her friend's child.

My ds1 is working towards an accounting degree and is interested in forensic accounting.

Ds2 will probably join the air force and work in some kind of technology field.

My daughter is finishing up her second year of college. She had declared an arts management major (with emphasis in theatre) and voice minor. However, she realized recently that if she goes for the regular theatre major/voice minor, she can probably graduate in three years. She'd like to come home for a while, so I think that's the current plan.

Once she's finished the B.A., she'll probably go for an MFA in something theatre-related. Right now, she's looking at the Theatre for Young Audiences program at the local university.

After that, once she feels ready to strike out a little farther from home (and is old enough to sign a lease), she may do a second graduate program in either acting or musical theatre somewhere more prestigious.

She really wants to be a star, but she's trying to make sure she has some marketable skill in case she can't make a living performing. She's a big believer in arts education and has an enduring interest in regional theatre and would like--if that whole Broadway thing falls through--to run a small theatre and offer great programs for children in addition. She'd also like to put together a network that allows small theatres to share resources (costumes, sets, props, etc.).

We've told her we're happy for her to do whatever makes her happy, as long as she can feed and house herself and pay for medical insurance.

Oldest dd is currently working and she would really like to be a full time SAHM.

Second dd wants to be a message therapist until she works her way through college. Her unltimate goal is to own her own bookstore.

Third dd wants a job in which she doesn't have to leave the house, interact with people and can work whatever hours she wants. Probably something involving English or art and the computer. Careers she is looking at are copy editor, web designer or computer analyst/consultant. However, she also has interest in a book/cd/dvd store. Should there be one in the family she would be the one to order books and manage paperwork.

One future sil also has interest in owning/running a book/cd/dvd store with coffee shop of course.

And this would probably be a good point to add that hubby and I have always dreamed of owning/running our own bookstore/coffee shop. So I am seeing a family business in our future with all of the employees we could possibly need.

Fourth dd wants to be and has always wanted to be a veternarian. She would like to specialize in panda bear works but would probably settle for any zoo or rescue/endangered species work.

Last one has no idea yet but she is really showing a talent for art so I am thinking that she will probably be going in that direction.

My dd25 has her M.A. in Counseling (Guidance Counselor in high school), but she is currently SAHM to my first grandchild.:)

DS22 will be graduating in May with his B.S. in Electrical Engineering. He will be taking graduate courses while looking for a job.

DD20 is an accounting major.

Unsure of the direction dd14 will head...

My soon to be 15yo is working on video game designing. I purchased some books to help him get his feet wet. I thought it would be good for him to get some exposure now to see if this is really something he may want to pursue as a career.

My 12yo dd wants to work with children in some way (teacher, daycare, etc.) or own a flower shop. We will see. :)

DD 32 and 27 both SAHM and loving it. Oldest is now homeschooling her 5 yr old son.

DS 20 One year of college and now a manager at an Auto parts store. Trying to figure out how to get back to college and earn is Engineering degree.

DS 19 lst year of college with plans to be a high school English teacher.

1st daughter - graduating next month with a journalism degree

2nd daughter - finished cosmetology school last year and is working as a cosmetologist

1st son - started college last fall working on a business degree

oddly, all of them knew what they wanted to do since they were young and ended up doing it

2nd son - has no idea what he wants to do, never has, doesn't really even think about it or care

my, dd wants to be a pastry chef so much that she is actually going to a vo-tech high school next year. It is an excellent school, we have visited many times and met the chef-teacher. Dd is very talented in baking and cake decoration so we will encourage her to pursue this field. We have a 2 year post high school culinary school 30 minutes from us and tons of jobs in our area in that field.

My 20 year old is a vet nurse at an animal clinic and is going ( back-she started and then took a year off) to school in the fall for a vet tech degree. My 19 yo is in college working towards a degree in civil engineering and my 17 yo will enter college in the fall for a degree in criminal justice.

My 16 yo is planning on becoming a neurologist and my 14 year old wants to sing, dance, write music or something in one of those fields.

Not sure on the younger ones yet except my 11 year old has said he wants to be a preacher for a few years now.

Edited by Quiver0f10

Ds 18 is working on a career in Video Game Design. Really! He found a college major that he is excited about. He loves the classes and since he also love video games it is perfect. He is working through a 2 yr program and a local college and plans to transfer to Univ. of Central Florida to complete their program. Video Game Design is a growing field too! One of our girls wants to be a doctor and the other wants to solve crimes and mysteries. :)

Edited by 2cents

My oldest daughter (age 18) is currently working toward her AA in General Studies w/ a Specialization in Psychology at the community college. After that, she's going to transfer to a 4yr college and double major in Psychology and Criminal Justice. She hopes to one day find work as a criminal profiler or a detective.

My son (age 14) wants to design computer and video games.

My second son (age 9) wants to be either a doctor or a marine biologist.

I have no idea what my youngest wants to be (she's 7).

My oldest ds is working on a triple doctorate and should receive his 1st doctorate in Biochemistry this summer. He will eventually be a maxil facial onocologist.

My oldest daughter will graduate in Dec. with an Elementary Ed degree and is engaged to be married.

My middle ds currently works in heating and air conditioning. He says he wants to be an x-ray tech.

My youngest dd doesn't know what she wants to do, but her favorite subject is math. She's 16.

My youngest ds wants to be a doctor. He's finishing up 7th grade.

God bless, Vicki

My 1st dd has a BA with double majors in dance & Japanese, with a business management minor. She is now married, lives out of state, works for a daycare, and is trying to figure out what she really wants to to "when she grows up," all the while knowing that she plans to become a homeschooling mom.

My 2nd dd is finishing her second year in college as a music major on violin, planning a Bachelor of Musical Arts degree, in which she will combine a minor in Entrepeneurship with a strong music core. She mostly wants to do private studio teaching for Irish fiddle and violin. She'll very possibly get married shortly after graduation.

Ds has no passion other than playing XBox 360 24/7. Hopefully that will change by the time he needs to decide how he's going to earn a living!

Guest Katia

Ds has no passion other than playing XBox 360 24/7. Hopefully that will change by the time he needs to decide how he's going to earn a living!

How funny! This could have been my ds when he was younger. I couldn't get him away from playing games on the computer! And I worried and worried that he would have no ambition, no drive......

Now he is 24yo, has his BA in Computer Science and is working as a programmer. He LOVES it. Good pay, good benefits, etc.

But, he spent most of his growing-up years playing computer games. :001_smile:

My oldest graduates from college next month with a BA in English. She wants to earn a doctorate and teach children's lit at the college level. But if the truth is told, she'd really rather be a SAHM and homeschool her kids.

DS will start pharmacy in the fall. Hopefully in 6 years, he'll be making great $$.

DS2, in 2nd grade, wants to be an inventor.

How funny! This could have been my ds when he was younger. I couldn't get him away from playing games on the computer! And I worried and worried that he would have no ambition, no drive......

Now he is 24yo, has his BA in Computer Science and is working as a programmer. He LOVES it. Good pay, good benefits, etc.

But, he spent most of his growing-up years playing computer games. :001_smile:

You mean there's really hope!!!????? :001_unsure:

Dd wants to work as a ranger in the national parks here & will begin her training in June of 2010. She may at some later date go to Uni & get her marine biology degree.

Ds#1 is aiming on enlisting in the NZ Navy, either as an engineer or diver. He hopes to begin his pre-apprenticeship training next February & do his apprenticeship in the navy. He will take his PADI dive course after he finishes physical science.

Ds#2 wants to open his own ice cream shop :tongue_smilie: We'll just have to wait & see. He does make a great banana split.

DS17 is graduating from highschool this year. He wants to major in Spanish and minor in Interpretation or double major Spanish/Interpretation and minor in Business. Not sure what he wants to do with it, he's researching that now.

DS15 has wanted to be a missionary/pilot/Pastor for many years (he's taken some Greek and gives 2 or 3 sermons a year as practice). He also like cooking. My niece is taking college classes to become a pastry chef, and he is interested in that too. He hasn't decided for sure yet.

DD, who just turned 12, used to want to work at McDonalds (from ages 4-7ish) so she could play in the play area during her breaks! :) Now she loves chemistry, so wants to be a chemist, do research in that field, OR something computer related.

My 17 year old sister will begin college in the Fall, and will work towards an architecture/design program of study.

My 8 year old son wants to be "an entremanuer" (entrepreneur) and true to form, he is always coming up with different business ideas and ways to earn money. We jokingly call him "Alex P" (as in Alex P. Keaton). He still doesn't get why we laugh that he wants to be an entre-manure, and I can never stop laughing long enough to try and explain it. Every time he asks, I bust out laughing.

14yos [15 in May] is working through the 4-H food and nutrition curriculum. He's on a chef track and would like to go hang in France. will probably work on some French language studies too. :)

11yos [12 in May] has an incredibly technical/ analytical/ engineering kind of mind. He's definitely on track for something MIT-ish, but he loves reptiles too. ;)

Edited by Peek a Boo
forgot that *m* in mind -lol!

DD14. Was doctor. Now its an artist.

DS13 Business Man. Maybe real estate. As long as he makes lots of money. :glare:

Truly, i am ok with anything they do pretty much (well, there are limits) but I am concerned about my daughter's ability to earn money as an artist, and I am concerned about my son's ethics!