Menu

If your NUMBER ONE priority for homeschooling were Christian/Scriptural worldview

HappyGrace

and you felt a burden to subordinate all your academics to this goal, what curriculum choices would you make? What would you spend your days on?

My dd (going into 4th grade) is very advanced academically (and is exhibiting logic age thinking), but I know we need to focus on the spiritual. I am working right now on bringing it in more in our lifestyle (like Deut 6 says to do.) But the curriculum choices I'm looking at do not have enough spiritual tie-in. And believe me, I've looked at everything. Especially history-it all just feels "tacked on" and not well-integrated. It seems like the higher grades -7th and up-do a better job with integrating. She definitely needs some "meat"-is very familiar with the typical Bible stories and has already done a yr and a half of adult BSF study with me.

I'm not sure if this even makes sense, but I really want us to bask in the Word, but I need some handholding by a curriculum on how to integrate it into our academics! We will be on the Modern period next year, so I'm planning on reading more missionary stories, etc. I did look at MFW for Modern period and it's the closest I've seen, but I really want to focus on Amer Hist (we're using the VP cards as our weekly topics.) I've tried adding on Progeny Press guides for our lit books for talking points for *me* to add Christian worldview, but it drags the reading down. I've also been looking at either Rod and Staff Bible or Positive Action for Christ (the middle school ones) because they are nice and meaty for Bible study. I love the maps and culture studies that R+S has, and I plan to use R+S 5 along with our Ancients in 5th grade. So I thought I'd use the 7 and 8 next year to go through the New Testament, but others have said they'd be too hard. (Dd loved the 5th grade one I showed her.)

The following year with Ancients will be much easier-I plan to use TOG and that does almost exactly what I'm looking for with the Dialectic discussion/accountability stuff. Can't use it for Modern this year though because it takes 6 units in TOG to cover what I want to cover.

I am in constant prayer about what our day should look like. I'm wondering if others who are successfully doing this could share what they're doing?

I would add Christian commentary (my own or from others) to any living books curriculum - (audio carschooling is great for this), and make sure that I am doing my own self-education. Some suggestions are: How Should We Then Live and others by Schaeffer (adult), Diana Waring's history tapes, Veritas Press cards/tape, Mystery of History tapes.

I would make sure that music includes hymn study - the giants of the faith.

I would intentionally glorify God as creator in any science curriculum used.

I would make time for my own discipleship and spiritual discipline - how can I lead someone to where I am not journeying myself?

I would teach discernment by analyzing characters' actions by a Christian worldview (Drawn Into the Heart of Reading, Progeny Press, Total Language Plus, or your own commentary.) Of course, this should not be overdone, or reading will become a chore!

I like the AmblesideOnline books, as they are one giant character curriculum. The biographies, hymn studies, free reading list, and memorization ideas are especially useful.

Have a structured Bible study time, or it falls by the wayside. When kids are old enough, have them doing their own independent Bible reading, devotional reading. I have my dd alternate between Bible reading and devotional reading. Currently, she is alternating a Positive Action for Christ Proverbs study with Pilgrim's Progress in Modern English. Other devotional reading hits have been Heaven For Kids by Alcorn, and CLE's readers. On our upcoming list is "How To Be Your Own Selfish Pig" and "Don't Waste Your Life."

Realizing there is only so much time in a day, I don't focus on historical fiction. None of us cares for it much, so it leaves more time in the day to do other things.

These are just a few thoughts, and I believe that when you pray for wisdom in this area, the Lord will surely shower you with provision!

Edited by Tami

I do a few things. For history, I add in:

History Lives Series. We REALLY like this series.

Famous Men series

Biographies of great Christians (leaders and missionaries)

Trial and Triumph

100 Great Events in Church History

I think a good online resource is http://www.thegreatbooks.com/.

I just weave titles in at the correct time period.

We tend to keep our Bible study separate. My children really like the Discover 4 Yourself Inductive Studies for Kids series. My DH reads the Bible at dinner, and sometimes they listen to sermons over breakfast (I don't join them for breakfast).

The rest of it is being careful about what titles I choose and having lots of conversations about worldview along the way. They are spontaneous. We had quite a discussion last year about how Socrates and Plato were "so close, yet so far" from the Gospel. If you are in the Word yourself and are diligent about looking for opportunities to discuss it during "life," you will be more free from concern about actual curriculum. I have found that there is no substitute for my personal study and preparation. I have lots of commentaries and Bible versions hanging around, as well as apologetics materials.

It sounds like Heart of Wisdom would be a perfect fit for what you want to do. In her approach the Bible is the center of the school day. The only problem is she doesn't have units for the time period you are looking for, but maybe you could implement her teaching approach. I also want to accomplish this in my homeschooling and can not wait to use her Adam to Messiah Ancients study along with her Science units. I am just waiting for my younger ones to be a little older in order to include them. It is geared for 4th-12th grade.

I recommend you visit her website

http://www.heartofwisdom.com/overview.html

Also read The heart of Wisdom Teaching Approach 70 page excerpt

http://heartofwisdom.com/Acrobat/HOWTASamplepages.pdf

Even if you don't use her products this is a real eye opener, awesome stuff.

HTH, May God bless you on this wonderful journey. He is so Awesome and worthy to be the center of our homeschooling, not just an addition.

Adrienne

I really like Mystery of History for tying in God's Word and His plan for creation into the history stories. It has worked well for us. We combine it with SOTW, but I don't think you need to do this with the goals you have in mind. MOH is a great stand-alone program in its own right. We also use some of the character studies of Biblical figures in MOH to expand our family devotion/discussion time, which we do with DH at night.

Another idea might be to incorporate a catechism study into your day. We use Truth and Grace Memory Books from Founders Press for this. They include a great range of Bible memory verses/passages (we do one or two a week depending on length), hymns to memorize and sing together and an actual catechism to memorize. We use them for a daily "kickoff," including prayer for the school day, then incorporate them into our day by discussing how the verses relate to this or that as we go across subjects. For example, Psalm 145.3 includes the phrase "His greatness is unsearchable." That fits well into science, when we talk about the mysteries of creation, etc.

We also enjoy using God's Design for Science (from AIG) as our science curriculum, as it includes a Biblical perspective on creation and interweaves it into each lesson in some way. During literature, you can discuss the character of each person you read about and how it relates to God's Word. Nothing has to be formal, just thoughtful.

I don't have a recommendation per se... but just a thought. This was supposed to be our modern history year. I thought we would go to TOG next year, but like you couldn't start it for our modern year because revised yr 4 wasn't out and even classic would have meant covering 6 units! (Btw, I've changed my mind even about next year and decided to use Heart of Dakota instead, but that's a different issue :)) Like you I wasn't thrilled with my options for our modern history year - in the end it has consisted of listening to SOTW 4 on CD a lot and some American focus through Classical Conversations and free readings.

What I'm trying to say is that if you can't find a good modern history program, what about letting her read some American History over the summer and then go on and start ancients with TOG this fall? I feel as though we have very nearly wasted this year as far as history goes because we were over half way through the year before I found what I was looking for.

The other thing I would do to emphasize a Biblical focus in any time period is add in Diana Waring's What in the World's Going on Here? cds.

Another suggestion: memorize long passages or even whole books of the Bible. One of MFW's elementary programs encourages the kids to memorize the whole book of James.

At our house, I've been choosing passages of about 10 verses. We start by reading the passage aloud every day. After a week or so, I ask them to see what they can say without looking and we go from there. We may spend 3-4 weeks on the same passage, depending on how easy it is, then it goes into our review system. This is just a binder I keep with all the past verses typed up. I have the kids say 1-2 review passages a day, in addition to the new one, and then move my sticky tab to the next page in the binder. (So, we cycle through these for review.)

I've been pleased with this plan and, after a couple of years of this, they have quite a bit memorized. This only takes 15 minutes or less a day! (They like to recite their verses individually.)

Yes, we do this too. We memorized 1 Peter as a family. Our church also works on large chunks of memorization at a time, and we participate in that. My husband writes songs to many passages of Scripture to aid in memorization and we have accumulated quite a collection over the years.

My oldest is only 7 years old, but he is also an advanced reader like your child....

We start out our school day with "devotional time" - everyone (me included :001_smile:) takes the time to have personal Bible reading and prayer time. And then we come together to pray together, and I read a passage from the Bible aloud (we are now in the book of Luke).

We also spend time to commit to Bible memory. I like the materials from

http://desiringgod.org but many publishers have good sets also.

We also like reading books from the History Lives Series. Since your daughter is older, perhaps you can consider: "From Jerusalem to Iran Jaya: A Biographical History of Christian Missions" by Ruth Tucker http://www.amazon.com/Jerusalem-Irian-Jaya-Biographical-Christian/dp/0310239370/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238785059&sr=8-1 I read it recently, and have found it quite a good book. The end of the book covers missions in modern times. Perhaps you can incorporate that into your studies.

We do weekly readings from "Window on the World" by Spragget and Johnstone. (Sometimes the kids just read more on their own because they like it so much.) You may even consider readings from "Operation World" by Patrick Johnstone for your dd. We just find that reading about other cultures in the context of gospel missions helps our children broaden their thoughts of what God is doing in the world.

I suspect we will have similar challenges (as you are having) with getting some more substantive Bible study materials for our oldest. It is encouraging to me that your dd joined you for BSF. Do you think reading some not so technical commentaries/study guides like this one by Sinclair Ferguson might work? - http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Study-Philippians/dp/0851517145/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238786038&sr=1-1

Or perhaps a "classic" like "Knowing God" by JI Packer?

I know you asked about curricula, but I only know about TOG (which we are using) and MFW (probably b/c I'm a relative newbie to homeschooling...). I would also be glad to hear more from others. :)

Another suggestion: memorize long passages or even whole books of the Bible. One of MFW's elementary programs encourages the kids to memorize the whole book of James.

At our house, I've been choosing passages of about 10 verses. We start by reading the passage aloud every day. After a week or so, I ask them to see what they can say without looking and we go from there. We may spend 3-4 weeks on the same passage, depending on how easy it is, then it goes into our review system. This is just a binder I keep with all the past verses typed up. I have the kids say 1-2 review passages a day, in addition to the new one, and then move my sticky tab to the next page in the binder. (So, we cycle through these for review.)

I've been pleased with this plan and, after a couple of years of this, they have quite a bit memorized. This only takes 15 minutes or less a day! (They like to recite their verses individually.)

Along these lines I highly recommend www.thywordcreations.com . We have all of the books and the Romans 6-8 cd and the kids have just about everything memorized. The lady that made the Roman's cd is also working on the entire book of Hebrews set to music also.

Along these lines I highly recommend www.thywordcreations.com . We have all of the books and the Romans 6-8 cd and the kids have just about everything memorized. The lady that made the Roman's cd is also working on the entire book of Hebrews set to music also.

:iagree:

Oooh, I forgot about these! We used these a LOT when the children were smaller. For once there were songs for children that worked on an entire passage and were NICE songs, not adult-irritant songs. Great stuff. I highly recommend them as well. We have the whole set too.

I've looked into a bunch of them before, like SOW and HOW, also the Thy Word songs. So far we've done the Steve Green Bible memory songs, but the Thy Word ones would be great for chapters. They also do Awana so they get a good amount of Scripture memory. Later tonight when I get back home I'm going to look into some of the other specific resources that were mentioned. A couple yrs ago we did a world focus study including Window on the World and loved it! (She was too young at the time for MFW ECC, so I made my own up.) It's just getting harder as she gets older and needs more meat and analysis. Also, I love Ruth Beechick and I'll get that new book! I have Trials and Triumph planned already, but I didn't know the new History Lives was out-looks great! I also thought I might tie in In God We Trust.

I did have the idea of reading the Sowers Series biographies instead of non-Christian biographies, when possible-she read the Kepler one this year and loved it. I also just found this series, which looks wonderful, so I thought we could read the pioneer, Nazi, and Harriet Tubman ones next year:

http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-His-Hand-Daughters-Faith/dp/0802440746/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238792650&sr=8-9

I feel like I'm still a baby Christian, so it's hard with no mentors to know how to pass it all on to the children effectively. It is so, so helpful to hear how others are handling this-please keep the ideas coming!

that I wish they had something like Quine's Starting Points for a little younger age! I've read the whole sample on the website before, and I love, love, love it. We'll definitely use this in a couple years, Lord willing. It's still a little hard for now-like I said, they don't offer any of that great meaty stuff til about 7th grade level!

Thanks, Lovedtodeath-we did BF Early Amer Hist in 1st grade, and it went well. She still loves the D'Aulaire books to this day from that program! We did the first volume of FIAR too-in K! Great suggestions, thanks!

Edited by HappyGrace

When we first started homeschooling, I too struggled with wanting to make sure the Lord was in every subject. Here's some of what we've done:

LA - Rod and Staff

Math - Rod and Staff, A Beka or Bob Jones do a great job of tying in the word

History/Science - in addition to all the suggestions you've been given, have you looked into Heart of Dakota? We're going to use it next year and I'm so excited! One of Carrie's main goals is to make the Lord present in all the subjects. It includes science books, but we LOVE Jeannie Fulbright's books for science. They're colorful, well written and EVERYTHING is credited to the Lord.

Another book I own that I really like for Bible/Character studies is, "Polished Cornerstones," by Doorposts. It is a great book for girls (they have one for boys) that you can use their entire lives for Bible study.

HTH!

Blessings!

Dorinda

Have you ever heard of Student of the Word curriculum? S.O.W. It's a curriculum completely based around God's Word.

www.sowcurriculum.com

Deena

We started using the SOW over two years ago. After Year 1 you can't really keep all the subjects tied to the Bible, so after that (Years 2-6) we use the Bible/ Language Arts only. Every week, based on the assigned scripture reading, the student would complete the following:

PRAYS: There are five prayer lessons: praise letter, repent letter, ask letter, yield letter, and supplication letter. Each of these lessons are repeated every week. The purpose of each lesson is to show the student step by step how to write love letters to God, while teaching the basics of prayer

Bible Study:

There are seven Bible study methods: reading, narrative outline, topical study, vocabulary study, character study, setting, and commentary. Each of these lessons are repeated every week. The purpose of each lesson is to equip the student with methods on how to study the Bible.

Creative Writing:

There are twenty four creative writing lessons per year. The creative writing lessons are designed to make the student think, research, and then methodically communicate his conclusions in light of God's Word. Each lesson gives step by step instructions from topic to conclusion.

There are special notebook pages (called worksheets) for students in K-5 that are not ready for the more rigorous writing process.

It is pricey, but there is nothing else like it out there.

There are samples of student work on their website.

I :001_wub: SOW,

Geo

Edited by Geo

I love Starting Points. However, it's only a one year worldview curriculum;it should not replace knowledge of God through His Word. There is no better discipleship than interaction with the Living Word, every day. We should not

lose sight of the fact that intellectual astuteness does not equate spiritual maturity. A child needs to begin at the beginning.

Best intentions,

Geo

Edited by Geo

be added along on top of other things? In other words, just do the Bible/LA like you do? Do your children enjoy it? I really want them to LOVE anything they do related to Bible and not just look at it like other schoolwork. Thanks! I was having trouble getting a feel for it from the website, and a df even showed me the brochure and I still couldn't really understand it that well!

Have you seen Heart Of Dakota?

http://www.heartofdakota.com

That is our burden too and this is what we are using.

History doesn't feel "tacked" on at all. It is easy to "up" the content. You can use a HOD program as your "core" and then branch out from there. Because the heart is Christ-centeredness- when you encounter other philosphies in reading it doesn't jar or "throw you for a loop" as you have already established your foundation.

For example, I have utilized many living books in science for my boys this year who are using Bigger Hearts on top of the scheduled science. My children have personal reading that is very meaty and I delight in feeding them that way- but I also feel that using HOD allows me to make sure that the Lord is in the position that I want Him to be in our home school.

The other day the art project for K had my little guy making hand prints. I have six children. I don't always remember to capture those precious moments as the days spin by. I am so blessed to have those precious prints from my six year old. They grow so fast! I know this is not your level- but it does showcase a smidgen of the preciousness of HOD.

Another curriculum would be http://www.livingbookscurriculum.com. This also has a christian worldview- but it is not as Christ centered as Heart of Dakota is. LBC's books are very meaty and I supplement them for my sons- particularly my oldest. They use Sower biographies- I believe grade four uses quite a few of them. There is a focus on Christian heroes.

I read back and saw the time period in history you are on... I don't know if either of these two curriculums will help with that aspect...

I hope something in here helps!

Blessings,

Rebecca

Edited by Rebecca
clarification

i have chosen the Apologia Science "Exploring Creation" series for science because it absolutely glorifies God in every lesson.

One thing you must do first and foremost is seek the Lord daily for his guidance in your schooling. Ask him for the spiritual gift of teaching. Ask him to show you how you can weave him into everything that you do. No curricula can do what the Holy Spirit can do through you, the parent, in raising and educating your child. There are a gazillion curricula that claim to be Christian,God-centered, and "training in righteousness" but by whose theology? I want to be a woman of The Book and teach my children to be the same. it all becomes sort of stale and "bookish" to me. IMHO, beginning with the Word, making it a priority to hide it in their hearts, and then weigh everything against that knowledge, be it Christian or secular is the best way to go.

If you want something that is centered around the Word and everything else ties in to that, then I'd seriously consider Heart of Dakota. Every lesson in every subject looks to God.

It's academically strong, uses a classical/Charlotte Mason method, and it is the most Christ-CENTERED curriculum I've ever seen! I have a very advanced 2nd grader that just finished the 2nd/3rd grade book and we both learned SO much and I've gained a greater knowledge of the Bible through this even as an adult (with an elementary curriculum!!!) It's amazing and I just can't say enough good about it! http://www.heartofdakota.com and to visit the forums go to http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3 They are more than happy to answer any questions you might have!

and you felt a burden to subordinate all your academics to this goal, what curriculum choices would you make? What would you spend your days on?

I will have a rising 12th grader next year. As I've reflected over our homeschooling journey so far, I am so very thankful for the investment of time we made each day to study the Bible together, to memorize scripture and to pray. We've usually just studied the Bible rather than a Bible curriculum. Tami's advice is dead on -- you have to be able to teach from the overflow. If we stay hungry for the Word and fill up and allow the Holy Spirit to teach us, we can pass that on to our children -- in formal study and throughout our day.

She definitely needs some "meat"-is very familiar with the typical Bible stories and has already done a yr and a half of adult BSF study with me.

I've heard so many good things about BSF! I've never managed to work it into our schedule. But 5 years of BSF would take you through the entire Bible, right? As my kids have gotten to the middle years, we've used the Kay Arthur studies (adult version). I always get so much out of a Bible study with others, as their insight is valuable as well, but you can certainly do these on your own as well.

In addition to daily Bible study, I'm so glad that we've set aside the time to memorize scripture. Like Profmom, we've memorized long passages, rather than the stand-alone verses the kids learn in Sunday School and such. There is something about memorizing an entire book or Psalm or passage that puts it in your very marrow. Here are the passages we've memorized so far:

John 1:1-14

Psalm 139 (probably my all-time favorite)

Psalm 23

Luke 2:1-20

Philippians 2:1-13

1 Corinthians 13

Exodus 20:1-17

Psalm 1

Psalm 8

Psalm 19

Psalm 19

Romans 8:28-39

Romans 12

Apostles Creed

parts of Westminster Shorter Catechism

Finally, and probably this should be firstly, seek the Lord on this issue. I've learned time and again that He will make provision for our family if and when I seek Him. So many times, it's my tendency to go before Him and research all the possibilities out there for my kids. But allow the Lord to provide for you in this area also and be blessed by what He has for you.

One more thing: I'd be happy to list the missionary biographies we've enjoyed so far if you'd like.

Lisa

all the responses! I've tried to look into Weaver before, but the site isn't very helpful. Principle approach/Noah plan-same thing-people say it's difficult to make practical. I do love HOD, but it doesn't fit my teaching style (I used LHTH and portions of LHFHG when they were younger)-the boxes and scripting didn't work for me. I agree though-of all I've seen, HOD does the best job with tying in Scriptural truths to every single thing, and it doesn't seem tacked on. My df has used almost every level and just adores it! And I did use TQ along with our Early American studies this year-it was good, but I'd like something with even more handholding as far as commentary with each book.

I'm pretty sure TOG is about the closest fit, but I am not using that til the next year with Ancients. I'm toying with the idea of instead of working so hard to integrate history/Bible, just cutting history back so it is a very small portion of our day (and using missionary stories, Trial and Triumph, etc.), getting our basic subjects done, and then cuddling up and spending more time on Biblical pursuits and reading-maybe just get a bunch of really good worldview/character/Christian biography/Bible study books and work our way through them in the afternoons together. Just really studying it all out together, discussing and dissecting and soaking it in together. There were some resources mentioned in this thread I can use. And I believe that would leave room for the Spirit to work in me and through me to reach my children, like was alluded to here in some posts.

I love hearing from someone who's at "the end of the line"-and I guess that's my whole premise, that I don't want to look back and wish we'd spent more time on what really matters-I want to do that now!

Thank you for listing some great chapters to memorize-we love Awana but I do think the chapters would be a fantastic addition (she is doing the Apostles Creed in Latin and English right now, and we're doing the Westminster over three years.) Can you mention how long you spend approx on learning a chapter, or how you go about learning it? Do you do it as a family?

I am so new at this, with no mentors. I feel at a loss to teach what I don't know very well.

And yes, I would love to hear which missionary biographies you have loved, thank you so much! I'd like to mix it up some, rather than just reading through all the YWAM/Sowers Series books.

Can you mention how long you spend approx on learning a chapter, or how you go about learning it? Do you do it as a family?

I am so new at this, with no mentors. I feel at a loss to teach what I don't know very well.

You may feel at a loss, but I can tell from your posts that you have already incorporated great books and scripture into your family life. Yes, we memorize as a family. That's the baby on up to the 17-yr-old. There's one catechism question we always ask my 4-yo because he's learned it so well!

We use sign language to help us learn. I love knowing the signs and it helps me cement the passage as well as give *clues* to the kids. We memorize by reading the passage and then taking it sentence by sentence. When we begin, I read the passage. Then we work on the first verse over and over with our signs until we know it (Day 1). The next day, we add another verse or sentence; they listen as I read the rest of the passage (Day 2). The next day, we review what we've memorized, iron out any bumps and work on the next sentence, reading the rest of the passage (Day 3). And so on.

Most of the passages I listed have a lyrical quality and cadence that aid memorizing. I know folks who put scripture to music, but sign language works best for us. I'm not even sure how long it takes; I wouldn't worry so long as everyone is progressing and really learning it by heart.

Here's a list of missionary biographies so far:

Bruchko (Bruce Olson)

Amy Carmichael (Elizabeth Elliot)

Torches of Joy (Dekker)

A Question of Yams

God's Smuggler (Brother Andrew)

Eternity in Their Hearts (Richardson)

Lords of the Earth

Peace Child (Richardson)

Christy (Catherine Marshall)(loosely based on her mother's story)

Autobiograph of George Mueller

Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret (Taylor)

And the Word Came with Power

And biographies I've added to my list based on recommendations (partly from this board) that I've not yet read:

Eric Liddell (Catherine Swift)

God's Polished Arrow (Michael McMullen

A Passion for the Impossible (about Lilias Trotter)

A Tale of Two Brothers (Wesleys)(Mabel Brailsford)

Something Beautiful for God (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Hudson Taylor (Phyllis Thompson)

The Gods Must be Angry

In Search of the Source

I'm hoping to be able to soon recommend a book by Pam Tebow, mother of college football great Tim Tebow. She was a homeschool pioneer who raised and home educated five kids, investing much in Bibly study, scripture memory and character training as they went about their other studies as well. She is writing a book that I think will be a great encouragement to many.

HTH,

Lisa

thank you, this list will be a great help and blessing in my planning-thank you for taking the time to write it out.

How wonderful to know sign lang to aid in Scripture memory! At our church there is a group that from time to time does a song while they do sign language and it is VERY powerful-the signs are often so meaningful. I can see how it would aid in memorization!

The Tebow book sounds great! I wish there were more books around by amazing Christian mothers that could serve to mentor newbies like me. Susanna Wesley is a great role model of mine as a mother and I want to learn more and more about her.

Thank you again for your help. I am beginning to gain some clarity on next year.

• 11 months later...

Hi, Being very advanced is great, I saw alot of great advise. I like the principle approach, however, it can get teacher intensive, but with a very advanced academically child, she could do all the research and this is great for the logic stage.

take a subject. no matter what curriculum you are in.

Pick out key words. then use the 1828 dictionary to look up the definitions and then a bible commentary to look up the same words choose scripture that would apply to your subject you are using.

this is the RESEARCH STAGE.

then the REASON STAGE is next. this is your logic stage. you reason from the definitions finding principles and leading ideas.

THen you use the RELATE STAGE and relate this to your own life. Relate it to who you are studying whether history, science language arts, literature, math. THen you record it all down and you have now a permanent record of your learning. You can do this with any subject because it is a methodology This will definately challenge any child, especially an academically advanced child.

This isn't really an answer to your question, but it occurred to me as I read that something you could do is Greek, so she can read the Bible (NT anyway) in its original form. I'd love to incorporate that but no way are my kids ready for it...sounds like your daughter might be up to it. www.triviumpursuit.com or Bluedorn's Trivium Pursuit discusses it.

I haven't read all the responses, so forgive me if this has been covered. This issue is one of the main reasons we use MFW. My kids are getting great academics but they also are getting a great foundation in the Bible and a Biblical worldview. I would suggest you look at MFW again.:001_smile:

Wow-this is an OLD thread! A year ago! It was fun to see it come up again to see how our year has actually progressed compared to what I had hoped back then.

I actually think we've done a pretty good job of a biblical focus. Things haven't been quite as integrated as I wanted them, but we are getting lots of good Scripture study. The Positive Action for Christ (grade 6) has been wonderful. I plan to continue with their materials. I'm reading through the Vos Story Bible with my younger dc, and she has been listening, and some of the commentary in there has brought up great questions. We've been doing BSGFAA on the wkends, and have enjoyed that. We have been reading through Noble Girlhood (sold on CBD, written by a godly older girl-HIGHLY recommended for age 10 and up!) and that has sparked GREAT character discussions. Our other favorite resource has actually been "News Current"-the current events periodical put out by God's World News for 5-6 graders. This has been our favorite for tying in Scriptural principles with current events-awesome!The other thing that was helpful was plugging in books about modern-era missionaries at the appropriate time periods that we studied this year. We're loving Rescue and Redeem too-stories of people who have lived for God during the modern era (missionaries and others). She did T+T in Awana too.

I am looking forward to next yr, Ancients, with either HOD or TOG, and that will provide better integration into our humanities topics.

Edited by HappyGrace

I have found the YWAM books very interesting and the kids really enjoy them along with the other series Lisa already listed.

Have you considered subscribing (for free) to Voice of the Martyrs? They have a monthly publication of current day folks who are suffering across the world today. There is a World Map every year along with a guide to go along with it. One year we studied the 40 countries listed in the guide (all free) as geography of countries that we had NEVER heard of. It made a nice Notebook when we were finished.

Every third month in the same mailing is included a child's guide called Bold Believers (or something similar b/c I think they changed the title). On line you can find guides for that also.

You can subscribe to the website and write to folks who are in prison in their own language. It is really neat. We print out the letter and then draw something on the page before sending out. This also provides opportunity for praying for our fellow brothers and sisters in chains and opens up our eyes quite a bit to get us out of our small box of thinking.

The best suggestion yet is to pray for the Lord to help you keep Christ the center of your schooling, and the Holy Spirit can accomplish that in more ways than we can even think or ask or look for in a particular curriculum.

Have you ever looked into the Principle Approach?

It came to mind as I've read through this thread (I don't think anyone else mentioned it)....

James Rose-A Guide to American Christian Education CBD Link

Foundation for American Christian Education (FACE) http://www.face.net/

I totally second this...Principle Approach is not a curriculum (although NOAH Plan does have curriculum that is all Principle Approach), it is a philosophy that you incorporate into all of your studies.

It is a lot of notebooking using this wonderful 4-R technique (that I love, love, love) and a lot of Socratic-type discussion/charting...always looking for the deeper issues and connections, not just the apparent ones.

There is a pretty high learning curve, in which I almost gave up, but once you get a few of the fundamentals down, it's as natural as breathing...it does not just get tacked on or have Bible verses just added to the page...it's fully integrated.

We use the approach specifically for history, bible, science and literature because I'm still trying to figure it all out. But, truly, as a philosophy, it can be incorporated straight across the board with whatever you are doing.