Menu

Has anyone successfully cured a suspected UTI *without* going to the MD?

I'm sure I have the beginnings (at least) of a UTI and want to avoid another MD visit. Has anyone had success clearing one up without MD / antibiotic intervention?

Of the few times in my life that I've had antibiotics for infections (sinus, bronchitis, strep), each time I have had a followup UTI. Like now, after a round of amoxicillin for bronchitis three weeks ago. I don't mind seeing the MD; what I do mind is the cost of an appointment. (We have a high deductible and pay most of a routine visit --$75 each time. Which is extraordinarily ridiculous.)

Anyway, please post your remedies AND the length of time to continue the remedy.

Thanks!

I've been able to fight them off if I catch them early but I know you have to be careful because they can cause permanent damage if they get bad enough. I always just start chugging away the cranberry juice and water and try to eat really healthy (no sugar). I can usually tell within a day if it's going to work or not. It seems like the last time it took about three days before I felt safe to discontinue all the cranberry juice.

Hope you feel better soon.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Have you tried taking acidophilous? I started getting system wide side effects to antibiotics and decided to try acidophilous, it works very well to keep nasty things at bay. It may be too late this time, but try taking it the next time you have to have an anitbiotic. I take it with every meal during the time I'm on the antibiotic and for a week afterward.

As others, I've successfully treated, but I'd encourage you to be careful. What has worked for *me* is drinking a *ton* of 100% cranberry (or blueberry) juice (not a juice blend, nothing added). I'll dilute it with water, but not add anything else. I go through about 1 liter a day (which means, over the course of two weeks, you might not be saving a lot over your co-pay) and lots and lots and lots of water. I also add in chewable cranberry tablets, garlic tablets (and as much fresh garlic as I can possibly sneak into my food -- raw and cooked), and I try to eat lots of plain yogurt with "live and active cultures". Acidophilus can be helpful too.

This has worked for me, but when I've slacked off on the cranberry before about two weeks ('cause I was feeling better and thought I was fine), I've had a relapse and had to start up again.

Tylenol or ibuprofen helps with the pain (though it should be better in a day or two doing this).

This has worked for me, but I'm not sure it's cheaper, and as others have pointed out, you'd want to be careful self-treating for this.

Every single time.

I use cranberry concentrated capsules. (CranActin is good or try Solaray).

And take more than recommended.

I once cured a painful one in six hours. And continued to take the pills to make sure it was gone.

Why it works - it makes the epithelial lining slick and the bacteria can no longer stick to it.

I took 5 or 6 every 15 or 20 minutes for 6 hours and drank a ton of GOOD water. NOT tap water with chemicals.

Then I took 2 to 4 every few hours.

Next time you have to take ab's I would suggest taking the cranberry and some acidophillus with it.

(Look it up first and make sure there are no contraindications!).

If you drink cranberry juice - make sure it is juice and NOT cocktail.

Also make sure IN THE INGREDIENT LIST that there is no sucralose (which is fancy and disguising for Splenda).

(They call it sucralose because it sounds like sucrose which IS natural. But stay far, far away from Splenda).

I'm still on antibiotics for a UTI that started on last Friday. It hit me very quickly, with pain and bleeding so I called the Dr. for some meds. Because I'm a nurse I know the possible dangers of leaving a UTI untreated so I tend to go for the meds first. However, I would increase you fluid intake (water), add in pure cranberry juice that is diluted, and maybe add in cranberry pills. I did all of these even with my antibiotics. For pain try ibuprofen. I know how expensive meds are, and part of my advantage is that I don't have to go in for a visit because my Dr. is a personal friend. Please be careful if you don't see it clearing up....your kidney's are priceless!

Lots of cranberry juice, yogurt and acidolphilus and water. A couple of beers will help too. However make sure you have other adult supervision for your children if you go that route.

A good way to prevent the UTI when taking antibiotics is to take the acidolphus while you are on the antibiotics.

And if you have a proven history of contracting UTI's after a round of antibiotics, call your doctor's office. See if you can get a 'script without the visit. A lot of times, with a proven history, you can get a call in. Also in the future, when you get a 'script for an antibiotic, go ahead and ask for the 'script for the UTI that will follow.

Another vote for Cranactin. Rather than having an antibiotic effect, it prevents bacteria from attatching to the bladder or urethra. And there's no way you can overdose. I would go heavy on the Cranactin and unsweetened cranberry juice and just manage the pain until you feel better.

When my ds was in the hospital, I was getting a UTI. The head-nurse-in-charge-of-the-whole-unit came in the room and I shamelessly begged her to lie, steal and cheat to get me some drugs because I just couldn't see an opportunity to go the the dr for this.

She politely declined my request :001_smile:, but brought me an email she had just gotten with all natural cures on it.

For a UTI, take an alka seltzer at the very beginning. I ran down to the gift store and bought some. (Later I looked at the ingredients of AS and it's basically baking soda and aspirin.) I can't remember the reason this works...something about an infection needing a certan ph level and the baking soda changes that? Anyway, it works. Quicker and cheaper than all the cranberry juice it takes to knock one out.

You do have to do this at the very beginning, though. At the first sign of an infection.

hth!

ETA: it worked within hours for me. And I'm sure you can take it every few hours, just in case, esp if you use just the baking soda.

Edited by Aggie

I didn't read all the posts, but this is what worked for me and dd.

At first sign I begin taking cranberry capsules, probably 6-8/day. I also immediatly drink a glass of something, juice, water, lemonaide, w/ a tsp of baking soda. The baking soda helps tremendously w/ that *gotta go* feeling. I continue taking cranberry capsules for 5-7 days. I've never had a problem this way. Now if your urine is bloody I would suggest going to MD if you can afford it. Otherwise I would add in doses of echinacea or goldenseal w/ the cranberry. Not what the medical community rec's, but I'm not a fan of the medical community. I'm a nurse, btw. :D

The baking soda works just as well as AZO for pain/urgency imo.

A couple of beers will help too.

LOL! Really? Of course, what do you think the reaction will be if, tomorrow morning when I go back to school--we're off for snow days, I walk in with a six-pack, store it in the faculty refrigerator, and pop one open every 3 hours?! This could be quite interesting! Btw, I teach middle school in a private Christian school. :lol:

Seriously though, wonder how the beer works?

Edited by Janie

fyi, most doctors will not make you come in for a full visit for a suspected uti, particularly if you've had them before. they might have you come in for a urine test (pay for the test only, no visit); sometimes they are willing to just call in the scrip.

no meds CAN do the trick, obviously, but please use extreme caution. I was once in the hospital four days for a kidney infection that I wasn't even aware of - - no pain or typical UTI symptoms, woke up one morning and felt a little 'off,' with an ache across my shoulders. Figured I was about to get the flu or something, but wound up in intensive care by five that afternoon.

so even if it doesn't 'feel' like a severe infection, it can be! if you choose to go the no meds route, pay close attention to your body, and call the doc right away if you have any clamminess, feverish feeling even if you don't have fever, aching or simply tenderness in your back (does not have to be in the typical kidney spot; mine wasn't).

I agree with all the recommendations for high quality cranberry capsules, water and lots of pure cranberry juice. You want to be peeing about every 2h. I'd only let it go about 12-24h. If it's not significantly improved, I'd go for abx because the risk to the kidneys is too great IMO.

Also, if you're prone to them, think of prevention. One of the leading causes for women is not going to pee after intercourse. Always, always go pee after.....

Also drink plenty of water and take extra vitamin c for prevention. You can also take a much lower dose of cranberry capsules for prevention.

I used to be able to cure myself, but at some point, my body stopped cooperating. I had one infection that got out of hand while I was trying to avoid going to the doc. I developed a full blown kidney infection. Treatment and follow up testing for one of those will cost a whole lot more than $75. Last I checked, real cranberry juice was something like $10 for a quart. Proceed with caution!

UTIs are my weakness.

If I am going to be sick, this is what I'll come down with.

The ONLY thing that will cure mine is this:

http://www.vibranthealth.org/ut.html

And this is the science behind it.

http://www.vibranthealth.org/ut2.html

Several MDs offer a d-Mannose product online, also.

I take a scoop in a cup of water every 15 minutes until I feel 'normal' again (which is about 45 minutes), and then I take it according to package instructions.

I keep this in my medicine cabinet at all times, so if I or one of my friends or family comes down with one, it's ready to be used.

You can but it at Whole Foods, most health food stores or amazon.

Hope this helps~

UTIs are my weakness.

I take a scoop in a cup of water every 15 minutes until I feel 'normal' again (which is about 45 minutes), and then I take it according to package instructions.

I keep this in my medicine cabinet at all times, so if I or one of my friends or family comes down with one, it's ready to be used.

Hope this helps~

^ this looks like good stuff to me.

i've used this:

http://www.greatestherbsonearth.com/nsp/kidney_activator.htm

along with aloe vera juice (4 to 6 oz a day) and cranberry pills (the juice has too much non-cranberry in it to be very helpful). it's a much better cure than antibiotics.

if you are prone to UTI's, you should use aloe vera juice or gel everyday. the benefits of it are far greater than preventing UTI's, though.

I used to get UTI's all the time and since I'm allergic to several antibiotics they were hard to treat. The antibiotics I'm not allergic to weren't working anymore. While searching online for another way to deal with them, I came across d-mannose. I was completely skeptical but decided to give it a try. I have not had to have antibiotics for a UTI ever since. Whenever I feel one coming on, I take d-mannose every 2 hours or so for the first day. I'm better but not cured by the second day so I continue. By the third day all is well. There is a warning on the bottle about going to the dr after 24 hours if the d-mannose isn't improving things.

I don't remember the science behind why it works but I make sure I always have some in my medicine cabinet. I get it online from iherb but you can probably pick some up at the health food store.

karen

UTIs are my weakness.

Hope this helps~

I second this product. I have used it several times for UTIs. Yes, it is expensive, but it is well worth it, and less than a doctor's appointment. The first time I discovered it I actually had a slight tinge of blood in my urine, and this cured it. That particular infection was so bad that I used two bottles of it, just in case.

Now I use pure d-mannose powder for maintenance.

:iagree:

Every single time.

I use cranberry concentrated capsules. (CranActin is good or try Solaray).

And take more than recommended.

I once cured a painful one in six hours. And continued to take the pills to make sure it was gone.

Why it works - it makes the epithelial lining slick and the bacteria can no longer stick to it.

I took 5 or 6 every 15 or 20 minutes for 6 hours and drank a ton of GOOD water. NOT tap water with chemicals.

Then I took 2 to 4 every few hours.

Next time you have to take ab's I would suggest taking the cranberry and some acidophillus with it.

(Look it up first and make sure there are no contraindications!).

If you drink cranberry juice - make sure it is juice and NOT cocktail.

Also make sure IN THE INGREDIENT LIST that there is no sucralose (which is fancy and disguising for Splenda).

(They call it sucralose because it sounds like sucrose which IS natural. But stay far, far away from Splenda).