Menu

Who has the right of way? (driving ?)

I almost t-boned a small car on my way through an intersection this afternoon! We were both waiting for traffic to pass, I was going straight, she had her left blinker on. We both went, I slammed on my brakes as she turned in front of me and then proceeded to flip me off and yell something I'm glad my dc (also in the van) couldn't make out. Had I not been driving a 15-passenger van I would have done a u-turn and followed her! Who was right/wrong? I'd always thought that straight had precedence over turning vehicles - am I wrong? I am so angry more at her reaction than the fact that I was almost in an accident.

If you both arrived at the same time, opposite each other, the person turning left is the last to go.

If you were not opposite each other, the person to the right goes first. (So, if you were at the 6:00 position and she was at the 3:00, she would ahve the right of way).

The person at the stop first goes first, though.

Never ever. What a maroon! :glare:

Unless they have a flashing green arrow traffic signal of course (in which case you'd have a red light). Oh, and people driving small cars should really drive more defensively because in the event that you are uncertain, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way.

Darla

Edited by darlasowders

We were facing each other, street we were waiting to cross had no stop signs. I know she was not there before I was because another vehicle ahead of her turned first, so actually I was there first.

I'm still fuming at her reaction. :glare:

Are you in Newport, Rhode Island? Did her car have RI plates?

When we moved there, I quickly learned that it was expected for traffic going straight to let one or two left-turn cars go first.

It's a popular move up in New England, to be sure.

It makes me fume every time...my dh (a born and bred Massachusetts driver) calls it "banging a left"...you know, when someone comes barreling out into the intersection at the first hint of green light and they bang a left before you've even hit the gas pedal. (sigh)

Anyway, I'm fuming on your behalf but I'm glad you're all safe!

It depends in which state you were in. In NC, the car going straight has the right away even if the car turning left was waiting first. So, if there are 100 cars lined up to go straight, you must wait for all 100 cars to go before turning left. :glare: In SC, it is which ever car got there first then proceed yielding to the right. The state of SC has more confidence in the general public to take turns than NC. ;)

In NC, the car going straight has the right away even if the car turning left was waiting first. So, if there are 100 cars lined up to go straight, you must wait for all 100 cars to go before turning left.

I live in NC, and I agree with the above when there is a 2 way stop where traffic is crossing a through street. But the rule for a 4-way-stop sign or a 4-way intersection without any signs is that the car who arrives first gets to go first, and if 2 cars pull up at the same time, the car on the right has the right of way. After reading your post, I had to look it up in the NC driver handbook to make sure. :-)

ETA: That's also the law in MD and FL, the other states in which I've lived. Out of curiosity, I googled "4 way stop right of way," and several sites said this is the law in most of the U.S. (i.e. whoever arrives first has the right of way; if cars arrive at the same time, the car to the right has the right of way).

Edited by LizzyBee

:iagree:

She was suffering from COTU syndrome (center of the universe). WRAH works, too (world revolves around him/her).

Perfect! I ran into many COTUs and WRAHs today. We have a jagged 4 way stop near my house. Lots of people (mostly on cell phones) don't seem to get it that every side gets a turn. I have to check the rage-meter before I go near that intersection. Also, lots of people haven't figured out that if you have a parked car on your side of the street, you don't go around it and make oncoming traffic jump the curb to avoid you (and hope they don't hit a pedestrian.)

the vehicle already in the intersection has the right–of–way ahead of any car that has not yet entered;

This is sometimes the only way to turn left in a busy intersection with no left arrow. You just put yourself in the way while the light's green, and go when it turns red. It's totally legal even if it does seem obnoxious. If you pull up far enough, the car behind you gets to go too.

The way I understand it is the person going straight has the right of way at all times. It doesn't matter if the other person was there first. Now I have flicked my lights on for the person to go ahead and go out of courtesy. I do not always do this but will do this sometimes.

Holly

This is sometimes the only way to turn left in a busy intersection with no left arrow. You just put yourself in the way while the light's green, and go when it turns red. It's totally legal even if it does seem obnoxious. If you pull up far enough, the car behind you gets to go too.

Yep. I knew someone who didn't get her license on the first try because she didn't pull out into the intersection to catch the green light. There are places where if you don't, you might sit for hours!

I almost t-boned a small car on my way through an intersection this afternoon! We were both waiting for traffic to pass, I was going straight, she had her left blinker on. We both went, I slammed on my brakes as she turned in front of me and then proceeded to flip me off and yell something I'm glad my dc (also in the van) couldn't make out. Had I not been driving a 15-passenger van I would have done a u-turn and followed her! Who was right/wrong? I'd always thought that straight had precedence over turning vehicles - am I wrong? I am so angry more at her reaction than the fact that I was almost in an accident.

What would be the point of following the offending driver? To do what? To yell back at her? To display an obscene gesture? To pull off side of road for a verbal or physical altercation or worse?

Here at certain intersections during busy times, it is expected that a couple cars will hang left as their light turns. For the most part, people overlook one or two or even three left-hangers in the spirit of cooperation. It helps move the traffic along.

If you are angry enough to follow an erratic raging driver, the end result could be dangerous for all involved. Check into Zen Driving to find peace behind the wheel and to learn to calmly cope with aggressive drivers.

Edited by tibbyl

Never ever. What a maroon! :glare:

Unless they have a flashing green arrow traffic signal of course (in which case you'd have a red light). Oh, and people driving small cars should really drive more defensively because in the event that you are uncertain, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way.

Darla

Is this another one of these newfangled words I don't know about? I am so behind the times. Could just be the color maroon too...... :001_huh:

My dh and I have had this same argument. We have this one stopsign by our house that is exactly what you described. I say that the person going straight always has the right-away and he says that whoever gets there first has the right away. (across from each other) I usually let the turner go first if they were there first, but we never did look it up.

What would be the point of following the offending driver? To do what? To yell back at her? To display an obscene gesture? To pull off side of road for a verbal or physical altercation or worse?

I would get her license plate and, if the law proved that I had the right of way, put her plate # online on those great sites for such things. Right now I'm writing a letter to the editor addressing "flipper" (dubbed for her lovely response to me) reminding her of the traffic rules and pointing out her ignorance of such rules as well as lack of social etiquette. ;)

come to New Jersey and drive the circles. I honestly believe that the right of way on a circle is whoever has the most nerves has the right of way. When I first moved here, I would actually sweat whenever I had to drive on a circle but now I can enter one and zoom ahead of cars with the best of them.

Oh Jeannie, did you ever drive the old Somerville Circle before they redesigned the whole area? I drove that thing for years as a teenager and young adult (worked in a movie theater there) and developed circle-driving proficiency that way. I left that job before they were finished with the whole redesign, which reroutes the majority of the traffic to avoid the circle, and now I'm terrified of those interchanges :lol: I miss the old circle! Plus, I end up on the wrong road almost every time :confused: Circles here are definitely crazy.

Yes, it's from Bugs Bunny. "Classic" children's cartoons are important for cultural literacy you know ;) Yes, they are. Really! :)

Darla

Oh, thank goodness! So I can check off cultural literacy in my lesson book for each classic Looney Tunes I let the kids watch?!! I love love love those, and now so do both DDs. Some of them, we literally crack up the whole way through. Plus, they've sparked a few interesting discussions about classical music and opera (we went looking for Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries after a few viewings of "What's Opera, Doc?" :lol: And some of them have spawned discussions about old, inappropriate stereotypes and why people thought the way they did versus how we consider them now. And then some of them have just spawned many new around-the-house catchphrases: "With my spear and magic helmet!!!" "Would I do this if my pal Rocky were in there?!" "Can ya play the piana? Have ya got a piana?!" :D

Ugh! I'm sorry. Since I had kids, most days I'm pretty zen driving, but something like that would tick me off for a few days afterward! How incredibly rude. Maybe you can turn it into a good lesson about driving safety and courtesy for the kids!

Edited by melissel

I'm pretty sure that no matter where you are driving, if you were to hit someone who turned left in front of you, they would be at fault. The exception would be if you ran a red light or a stop sign to hit them.

So, it's obvious, to me, that the person going straight would definitely have the right of way.

Whomever, gets to the intersection first goes first. When turning left at an intersection, you must yield to oncoming traffic. Otherwise, the person to the right has the right-of-way. Finally, driver's should never insist on the right of way nor attempt to force their way into traffic.

From the following site: http://www.safemotorist.com/articles/right_of_way.aspx

It is my understanding that if you hit a car even when you have the right-of-way, it is your fault, although this site does not state that. If you had proceded first and she hit you it would have been her fault.

It seems that most people do not know right-of-way laws and procede in unmark intersections as if they are four way stops.

If I'm not sure who actually got to the intersection first I either wave the other person to go ahead, or wait for them to wave me... I'm a believer in the "Better safe than sorry" policy! Especially when it comes to driving! I kind of assume that no body else on the road knows what they're doing, because half of them don't!

When my poor husband drives I'm constantly saying "Honey! Watch out!" Not because I don't trust he is a good driver, but because I don't trust other drivers! I've seen some really stupid accidents...

Whomever, gets to the intersection first goes first. When turning left at an intersection, you must yield to oncoming traffic. Otherwise, the person to the right has the right-of-way. Finally, driver's should never insist on the right of way nor attempt to force their way into traffic.

From the following site: http://www.safemotorist.com/articles/right_of_way.aspx

It is my understanding that if you hit a car even when you have the right-of-way, it is your fault, although this site does not state that. If you had proceded first and she hit you it would have been her fault.

It seems that most people do not know right-of-way laws and procede in unmark intersections as if they are four way stops.

Really? So, if you're traveling straight ahead and there is no stop sign or light, you must stop if someone else gets to the intersection ahead of you and wants to turn left? How would you even know their intent was to turn left? What if they weren't using their signal? So, do you just have to basically stop at any intersection if there is another car in the vicinity in case they decide to turn in front of you?

Also, would you be at fault if you have the right of way and someone runs a red light and you, as a result, hit them? That seems crazy to me.:confused:

Really? So, if you're traveling straight ahead and there is no stop sign or light, you must stop if someone else gets to the intersection ahead of you and wants to turn left? How would you even know their intent was to turn left? What if they weren't using their signal? So, do you just have to basically stop at any intersection if there is another car in the vicinity in case they decide to turn in front of you?

Also, would you be at fault if you have the right of way and someone runs a red light and you, as a result, hit them? That seems crazy to me.:confused:

Just reporting the facts mam'. I agree that in some cases this would not make sense. As with regard to signals, if they failed to use their signal that would be a fineable traffic offense for them. And finally, if someone was already executing an illegal turn in an intersection and you hit them, it would indeed be you fault. In many states, the person whe had the last chance to avoid the accident would be responsible if they did not do so. Now if you had already started proceding through the intersection and that person hit you do to an inlegal turn then they would be responsible.

Just reporting the facts mam'. I agree that in some cases this would not make sense. As with regard to signals, if they failed to use their signal that would be a fineable traffic offense for them. And finally, if someone was already executing an illegal turn in an intersection and you hit them, it would indeed be you fault. In many states, the person whe had the last chance to avoid the accident would be responsible if they did not do so. Now if you had already started proceding through the intersection and that person hit you do to an inlegal turn then they would be responsible.

OK...I can't picture in my mind but I'll take your word for it.:)

The link you posted did say when you must yield the right of way and one of them was:

When turning left in which case you must yield to oncoming pedestrians, cars, etc.

I live in NC, and I agree with the above when there is a 2 way stop where traffic is crossing a through street. But the rule for a 4-way-stop sign or a 4-way intersection without any signs is that the car who arrives first gets to go first, and if 2 cars pull up at the same time, the car on the right has the right of way. After reading your post, I had to look it up in the NC driver handbook to make sure. :-)

That is good to know. I wasn't sure what the rule was for a 4-way stop sign. There aren't any of those around here!

I'm pretty sure that no matter where you are driving, if you were to hit someone who turned left in front of you, they would be at fault. The exception would be if you ran a red light or a stop sign to hit them.

So, it's obvious, to me, that the person going straight would definitely have the right of way.

Well, my brother turned left in front of a car going straight when the light turned green and the car going straight got the ticket because the car going straight "had the opportunity of stopping" instead of hitting my brother's car. :001_huh: So, that's not always the case.

Uuuuuh, nope. Totally illegal here. We are required to clear the intersection before the red light. So, if you're going straight and the car in front of you stops on the far side of the intersection, you either stay at the "stop line", or pray that the traffic ahead moves before the light changes.

If you had proceded first and she hit you it would have been her fault.

I believe that falls under the "failure to avoid an accident" clause that says just because it's in your way doesn't mean you can hit it.

And, yes, intersections without a clearly marked right of way (or with a non-working traffic control device) are four-way stops here.

he mangled "moron" into "maroon" on a regular basis.... just ask Elmer Fudd :D

No, he means maroon....a person put off a ship on an island for being deeply unpopular on the ship for s@xual or other reasons. It was often a death sentence, but a slow one, and one no one had to think of as hands-on murder.