Menu

Favorite grammar curriculum?

gratefulmother

We used FLL all the way through level 4. I thought it was a great experience. Last month I had to research grammar for 5th - . I ended up picking Growing with Grammar.

The book came last week. It seems as if it is going to be easy to implement and will follow where FLL ends.

With all my researching I can name a few other programs. But I can't give a thorough review.

Easy Grammar

Analytical Grammar

Voyages in English either the new or the older editions

Winston Grammar

Young children:

copywork, oral narration, quality literature, recitation, etc...

For ages 10 +

dictation, oral and written narraton, quality literature, recitation, etc...along with:

Grammar Land

Simply Grammar

Our Mother Tongue

For ages 14 +

dictation, written narrations, quality literature, along with:

A good english handbook (we like the one by Rod and Staff)

A workbook 'refresher' if needed

Begin really hitting the writing at this age....

Edited by LivingUnderGrace

Queen's Language Lessons, is similar to FLL, but more gentle on the memorization, slower on the grammar terms, and includes richer (IMO) poetry and literature selections. I have used samples.

The LA in my sig includes reading, writing (copywork, narration) vocabulary, thinking skills, character, and looks to be better for a visual learner. I have used samples, and will be using this to replace or in addition to FLL.

Writing Tales teaches grammar through active games and in the context of writing. I plan to use this starting in 3rd grade.

I don't think these last three include writing, but I haven't used them, so I could be wrong.

Easy Grammar, has a great system of disecting sentences by removing the prepositional phrases first. I plan to use this in the future.

Growing with Grammar is more independant than FLL and seems to be better for a visual learner.

Analytical Grammar is a complete grammar course that takes only 2 years (starting in 5th-8th grade), but you can spread it out with review. Junior Analytical grammar can be started earlier as an introduction (3-5)

You said other than FLL, but I still wanted to say that we love FLL. I have tried R&S, Growing with Grammar, the Queen Homeschool Supplies workbooks, and other less known things... like a Scholastic workbook or just teaching grammar myself. FLL has been wonderful for us. I don't even want to think about teaching grammar without it.

I'm once again, not doing formal grammar for my second grader. I really love copywork and dictation. I keep trying formal grammar, but copywork and dictation at this level accomplishes everything I need.

Growing With Grammar is straight-forward and simple. The lessons are easy to teach. The exercises are well-rounded.

I use Easy Grammar with my older two (7th and 5th). I am totally sold on the prepositional phrase method and I find it very cost effective. I like that it is strictly grammar as we have other programs for writing, etc. Neither Abeka nor R&S worked for us.

My 1st grader is doing FLL 1-2 first though. Then we'll move forward with Easy Grammar and Writing Strands later.

We only did grammar informally through 4th grade - though they did get some through Grammar Rock, Mad Libs, foreign language study, and we did start Editor in Chief in 3rd - though none of those were comprehenisve.

This year (5th) we are doing Easy Grammar 6 to make sure we do get comprehensive. I love the prep. phrase method, and my kids are finding it very straightforward and, yes, easy. :001_smile:

I don't know that there's a need to do the same thing year after year. After finishing EG6 (the plan was to do it over 1 1/2-2 yrs), I'm going to look into something else that's more of a review or integrated - I'm considering one of those Sentence Combining type curricula, or the high school level program from that guy that writes Grammar Island etc. also intrigues me - anyone used that?

I love Analytical Grammar because it is clear, concise, and efficient. It's intended for 6th-7th-8th grade, so I imagine that it might not be helpful to you at this time.

I have not used Junior Analytical Grammar (wasn't available when ds was the right age), but if I had to do it all over again, I would use that.

You may read my review of AG in this thread.

We've successfully, painlessly, gently used Winston (along with other grammar items to practice grammar mechanics) from 3rd-8th grade, usually doing it on the white board or orally in about 10 minutes per session, 3x a week. We also tried two other grammar programs, but neither was a good fit for our family (Easy Grammar was too repetitive and didn't explain things very well; Analytical Grammar was too "workbook-y".)

My review of Winston Grammar:

Covers grammer instruction and the (partial) parsing of sentences (rather than diagramming). Instruction includes things like parts of speech, noun functions, word usage sentence types, modifiers, clauses, etc. No grammar mechanics (practice of punctuation, capitalization, etc.) in Winston, so you will need to find some other way to instruct and drill that aspect of grammar.

A more hands-on approach, using cards with key words/pictures to help the student remember the key concepts. Can be done orally, or the student can mark the workbook pages with arrows, underlines, and key words, etc. (We did it on the whiteboard.) The student is not expected to rewrite the sentences.

Comes in 3 levels; each level is designed for 1 school year. (We did each level of Winston for 2 years, with the first year getting about 2/3 into the program before the student hit a mental "roadblock", then doing the entire program the following year, with student having no problem.)

- Winston Basic (gr. 3-5) = 8 parts of speech; 2 parts of a sentence; 7 noun functions

- Winston Word Works (gr. 5-7) = instruction and practice in word usages (example: who vs. whom)

- Winston Advanced (gr. 7-9) = 4 sentence types; tricky modifiers (gerunds, participles, infinitives); clauses

BEST of luck in finding what fits for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

PS -- for Grammar mechanics, and for Grammar reinforcement we've enjoyed the following as supplements to Winston:

gr. 2-5

- Schoolhouse Rock: Grammar Rock (videos and computer game) -- parts of speech

- Mad Libs -- parts of speech

- Grammar Ad Libs -- parts of speech

- Write Source student workbooks -- punctuation, capitalization, etc.

- Sonlight Curriculum style dication worksheets (I made our own) -- punctuation, capitalization, homophones, word usage, plus practice of whatever grammar concept we were covering with Winston

gr. 4-6

- Take Five Minutes: A History Fact a Day for Editing -- punctuation, capitalization, homophones, proofreading, etc.

- Editor in Chief -- punctuation, capitalization, homophones, proofreading, etc.

- Comicstrip Grammar -- reproducible worksheets practicing parts of speech, word usage, grammar concepts, etc.

- Sonlight Curriculum style dication worksheets (as above)

gr. 7-8

- Comicstrip Grammar -- reproducible worksheets practicing parts of speech, word usage, grammar concepts, etc.

- Giggles in the Middle (by Kiester) -- punctuation, capitalization, homophones, proofreading, plus review of grammar concepts

gr. 9-12

- The Chortling Bard (by Kiester) -- punctuation, capitalization, homophones, proofreading, plus review of grammar concepts

Edited by Lori D.
added info

I love Analytical Grammar because it is clear, concise, and efficient. It's intended for 6th-7th-8th grade, so I imagine that it might not be helpful to you at this time.

I have not used Junior Analytical Grammar (wasn't available when ds was the right age), but if I had to do it all over again, I would use that.

You may read my review of AG in this thread.

:iagree: It's been one of the best things we've ever bought. And I have used Junior Analytical Grammar. It's outstanding as well.

Heather

I can only recommend Shurley English since that is what we have been using for the past two years. I have used one set of curriculum over both 3rd and 4th grade, simply because I was told by people on this forum that there was very little difference between SE3 and SE4. I know we need to be repetitious in the grammar stage, but we are on a tight budget. For this reason have just taken our time with the program. We also do a lot of dictation and book reports.

There are some really nice things about SE...like the fun jingles and the way they teach classifying sentences, but it is rather teacher intensive. Dd is doing well with her grammar though, and that is always the best kind of referral. Also, the Classical school where I teach part-time uses SE and the students are really excelling.

Next year we are going to go with Writing Strands and then I will be looking for a more advanced grammar study for 6th grade. It will either be SE or one of the recommended curriculum you've all brought up here on this thread.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'm going to be using Climbing to Good English starting in March. It's an Amish program that loosely coordinates with Pathway readers. I like that it's got varied topics, is in a workbook format and is secular. It starts simple diagramming in 3rd grade and although it's not as easy to see the overview of the topics covered as it is with R&S, it seems to be as complete.

The first grade CTGE has a lot of extra phonics work and it only switches over to an emphasis on grammar and composition towards the end of second grade. 3rd grade had a lot more g&c.

Started with English for the Thoughtful Child, then Shurley English, next ABeka, and then Junior Analytical Grammar and now Analytical Grammar. By far, we learned the most from Shurley English (great memorization techniques included on a disc) and Analytical Grammar (or JAG). I switched around because I wasn't finding something I enjoyed, until Analytical Grammar - I LOVE it! It's concise, very clear, all the "fluff" has been removed, and the author is available quickly by e-mail to answer questions. My 12 y/o is doing season 1 and 2 this year (in 7th grade) and it's been a wonderful pace for her. She's become very confident (and grammar used to be a teary subject at our house!!)

Blessings,

Julie in MO

We have used Growing with Grammar 3 and 4 and love it! I teach the very brief lesson, and then the dc do their lesson. They are retaining the info, and seem to have a solid grasp of the material. So much so, that I'm considering taking a year off and then going into AG in 6th grade.