Menu

What would you do for next year if you could spend NO money for school?

Karen in CO

I'm sure I could do it if I didn't also have to work a full time job. I "need" the structure set up for me so that on our school days, which aren't even the same four days every week, I can just do the next thing in each subject. I look at it as a trade off. It would be a full time job that doesn't pay to organize school for four kids using only free resources.

Kudos to your friend, that's really awesome!

I have always tried to buy the majority of my curriculum used, I love all of the used boards, Amazon, and eBay. We have a great library which I do use, but it is a 40 minute drive, and we pay a yearly fee. I would think some books would be needed for longer than the library would allow.

I cannot see myself abandoning everything and devoting the amount of time that I am positive your friend must to do such a great job with her daughter. I also cannot imagine trying to do it with my 6!:tongue_smilie:

It does give one pause though. I am sure we all could scale back in some areas!

• 11 months later...

<<We used some stuff from http://www.learner.org >>

Thanks, I had completely forgotten about this fantastic site. We have used some of the online open courseware from MIT and Stanford with wonderful results. Also don't forget about Khan Academy for math.

I do think that it (homeschooling) can be done with much less money than we actually spend, and we are on a budget. Even the high school years can be accomplished successfully, though it will absolutely take time and creativity.

I would do things from Google books like this poster:

Math - Ray's Arithmetic, downloaded from google books

Grammar - Harvey's Grammar - I own the reprints of both books, but they are also available on google books

Writing - Books I've downloaded from google books - some of them are excellent

Spelling - there are free websites for spelling, or I could use one of the spelling books I've downloaded from google books

Latin - Latin Book One - the chapters, answers, and audio files are all available free on a yahoo group

Science - the library

History - the library

Art - library books or art lessons from the internet (I'd have to spend some money on supplies, though.)

Music - play classical music on cable tv and CDs we already own

Although, for next year, I have managed to purchase used or been given all of my 3rd grader's R&S math and english student and T.M.s. I paid $1 for one at a used sale, was given the student texts by a friend, and got the Math T.Ms during R&S's 2nds sales. For me, I would want to find some type of daily math curric. I could use any old grammar book and be fine. I have my mother's old textbooks here that I could use for 1st through about 3rd grade and be fine even. I already to writing on my own the WTM way. The other subjects are easy enough w/the internet and library.

Let's see:

Reading: Hooked on Phonics 2nd Grade (avail. from library), readers from library

Writing: copywork, narration drawing on other subjects. I'm looking forward to using CW primer next year, but we could live without it.

Lit: I already own the book we're using for that next year

History: History of Us by Hakim, avail. from the library

Spelling: Webster's Spelling, available free from Don Potter's site

Grammar/Language: We'd have to skip Latin, which would be a big bummer, but we could probably do Spanish using materials from the library, and I could take FLL down off the shelf where it's collecting dust.

Geography: Library books, we already have a map and globe, I'd just have to impose some structure myself instead of buying materials to do it for me

Science: Library books, again I'd have to come up with more structure for our studies on my own but we'd manage

Math: I already have a text that will get us well beyond 2nd grade, plus we can get free materials for this and other subjects from the curriculum room at DD's enrichment program to supplement.

Classical Studies: We're doing Bible stories next year, I already got a children's bible story book from DH's stepmom.

Heathen Studies: Virtue study is what I have planned, I might make a poster but we won't be buying anything in particular for it anyway.

Well, first I would cry. :lol: But then I feel confident that I could make it work. Absolutely no money for it is a little extreme though, especially when there are such great deals to be found on the sale and swap- and on Ebay. But if we were allowed to put a little money into used items- with the library, the free sites, and some paper and ink and we would be all set. I'd rather not do that-

But I am trying to scale down for next year.

I just read what I typed a year ago...:blushing::lol:

Ummm....yeah, I wouldn't want to do this thing with no budget, as evidenced by the $$$ I've spent since my last post in this thread.:001_huh::lol:

I'm still pretty thrifty though...:cool:

Or does anyone else think it's a bit unfair when a husband tells his wife to do her job without spending money? I'd like to see these husbands do THEIR job without spending any money.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems mean. I am posting this because the OP said it was her friend , not herself who was doing this, so I am not meaning to attack the OP in any way, ,,, or any moms, however, husbands who think it's easy to do the magic their wives do,.,, well, I would challenge THEM.

Meanwhile. women are amazing and mothers are awesome and creative and inventive. go creative moms!!!

( and supportive dads too)

~Christine in al

Or does anyone else think it's a bit unfair when a husband tells his wife to do her job without spending money? I'd like to see these husbands do THEIR job without spending any money.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems mean. I am posting this because the OP said it was her friend , not herself who was doing this, so I am not meaning to attack the OP in any way, ,,, or any moms, however, husbands who think it's easy to do the magic their wives do,.,, well, I would challenge THEM.

Meanwhile. women are amazing and mothers are awesome and creative and inventive. go creative moms!!!

~Christine in al

My problem with the idea of a DH saying it can be done without spending money is that it does not sounds like an ultimatum that comes from respect. If someone says to me, can you help me homeschool without spending money because we are in a very tough financial situation but DH and I think homeschooling is best for our family, then that's one thing. But declaring that it can be done without money just because you don't think you should have to spend money on it, knowing that in order to do so will be significant effort and work on the part of the wife, seems to me like it shows a lack of respect for her time and stress level and no indication that he values her work.

Heather

Good for your friend! I'm a single mom homeschooling four and I just may be in that particular boat for the upcoming year. My budget is on a budget! If I am, I'm prepared to use the free resources that I have tried in the past here and there..

The Bible

KISS Grammar (free grammar)

MEP Math and Math-drills.com (free math program and worksheets)

123Teachme.com (free spanish)

Library for history, science and reading

Notebooking, Dictation, Book Reports, Outlines and Writing Handbook for writing

etc.

Ambleside and Old Fashioned Education are some other options

It can very well be done but dedication and consistency is a must.

Copywork, dictation, and narration from great book lists on the internet for every subject.

Lots of free spelling resources on the internet, even though I own Spelling Plus Dication and plan to use that through the 6th grade.

Free math resources on the internet until about the 6th grade, and then I own basic college math and I would use that for 6-8th grades.

Like many have posted, I would need to take the summer to organize my book lists, my copywork, and my math schedule. Everything that is successful to me, takes careful planning no matter the resources. But ultimately it's about reading, (science, history, bible, and fun reading for pleasure) writing, (written narrations, spelling dictations, etc.) and arithmetic.

:)

My problem with the idea of a DH saying it can be done without spending money is that it does not sounds like an ultimatum that comes from respect.

And also, unless one is in dire financial straits, it sounds as if education doesn't matter much. I'd rather cut back on clothes, eating out, and other things, in order to be able to afford educating them, which (to me) is an incredibly important thing.

Many of the "free" resources I have require things like my time, my paper, and my ink to actually use. However, there are some great ones out there.

I know this thread is from more than a year ago (and I answered then)!

I can think of a hundred million things Id rather do than comb the net and library for free resources to educate my kids.

Lol! I love to look up stuff on the internet, and I do utilize tons of free stuff...but most of our regular use stuff is purchased. I just like to research, so come up with things to do. And I hate using resources from the library and never do it.

~Christine in al

Yep, this bothered me a lot the first time I read the thread. It's not something I would stand for, and I can't imagine not making us, as a couple (or individually) get counseling...I just wouldn't tolerate ultimatums like this (neither would dh...I would never do it to him and he would never do it to me). To be honest, there are lots of marriage practices and ways spouse treat each other, and what people put up with that truly amaze me.

My problem with the idea of a DH saying it can be done without spending money is that it does not sounds like an ultimatum that comes from respect. If someone says to me, can you help me homeschool without spending money because we are in a very tough financial situation but DH and I think homeschooling is best for our family, then that's one thing. But declaring that it can be done without money just because you don't think you should have to spend money on it, knowing that in order to do so will be significant effort and work on the part of the wife, seems to me like it shows a lack of respect for her time and stress level and no indication that he values her work.

Heather

:iagree:

I would absolutely have to have a math program from at least 4th gr. and on. Math is my weak area, and I would want to trust that to no more than internet worksheets. I think I could cover lang. arts, history and science through middle school with a library card. It wouldn't be easy though thinking of all the planning around so many different resources.

Fortunately, I've never had to that, and over the last 14 years I've collected enough curriculum that I'd be fine.

I don't think I could spend NO money for school. I work full time and I just don't have the time to spend researching, downloading, or writing my own lesson plans. That said, I could do it much more cheaply than I am, but it wouldn't be quite as much fun.

Now that I've played with it, maybe I could. It wouldn't be using my dream curricula, but doable if necessary. (FTR, I planned out for the year after next, since I've already bought nearly everything for this year, so it was kind of like cheating to say "Sure! I can do it with what I've got!" :tongue_smilie:)

Math: MEP

Handwriting: copy work from literature

Grammar: SheldonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s PLL

Writing: homemade creative writing, narration, dictation

Spelling: Apples & Pears (because I already own all the levels :D)

Literature: library books and others I've already collected

Science: reuse BFSU, Handbook of Nature Study, FIAR Nature Study, Burgess Bird Book and do delight directed learning w/library books

History: CHOW, Our Island Story, Fifty Famous Stories Retold since I own them, and additional resources from library

Art: Probably books from the library, followed by having DD try to imitate some element of the work we were studying.

Music: Rocket Piano, since I bought it for myself and all the levels were included. We could easily check out Cds from the library for appreciation.

RockerDad recently told me that we need to ask my nephew what it costs to put his kids in the local public school for 1 year (fees, supplies, lunch money, etc). He thinks it shouldn't cost us more to homeschool one than it does to send two to public school. We will have to homeschool on a tight budget... but there will be a budget.

I reminded him that we do not receive government funding. :lol:

I think it's important to remember that public school isn't without costs, both in fees and in intangibles like increased clothes budgets and the expected time spent on both homework and volunteering.

I think you can do a pretty good job for what the expected outlay for school is. But I'm not sure I could do two for the price of one (with the heavy lifting of books, lab equipment and copying covered by the tax supported budget rather than the families).

Take just lunch for example. Sure eating lunch at home is far less expensive than eating fast food every day (there isn't food service at the local high school. Students go to a couple nearby food courts.) But if there is a cafeteria with food service, then there will be subsidies for the food, both in budgeting for staff and equipment and direct government payment and use of subsidized food (like dairy products). I'm not sure how making comparable food at home would compare in price.

I would use what I have, the library and the internet. In fact for this fall I am going to do as much as I can without spending too much and starting my planning now. I will still be spending money, but hopefully less than half that I normally do.

If I couldn't spend anything at all, I could do it, but it would be time consuming.

I have a good friend that is homeschooling a child the same age as my oldest daughter. She has NEVER spent money for homeschool other than pencils and paper, craft supplies, and science supplies. Never spent a penny. Her husband is adamant that it can be done without spending money on it and so far she has. Her son is ahead of grade level in math and reading. He writes as well as any 8yo boy and loves history and science and is learning Japanese. She uses free worksheets from the internet and library books. She hasn't even bought a how-to homeschool book.

Our recent discussions have made me reconsider what I use for homeschool.

How much would your homeschooling methods change if you could not spend money for school? What would you use? Could you homeschool with no money for it?

I have done this with the exception of Math workbooks. Quite honestly, I think I was much happier without all the bog down of having to finish XYZ because I spent the money on it. I used the internet, a library card and my computer extensively. I also had a cheapo printer with re-fillable cartridges. I just may have to go back to those ways again with the economy as it is....and it really was not so hard.

~~~Faithe

PS, at this point, I could probably teach out of my school closet for the next 10 years at least :-)

I live in a rural, inexpensive area. Around here, the public schools spend $6,000 per student per year. Tell him that, grin, and assure him you will spend under that amount per child per year. Never had a year that I even came close to spending that much! :-)

I had one year where I actually did have an allowance for curriculum. I didn't come anywhere near spending it, even with not holding back on buying what I thought would be useful.

I'm still using a lot of that material. (And, honestly, there is also plenty that I never really did use.

I think a high year for me would be around 3k for three kids. I know there are families for whom that is incredibly out of reach. But the private schools where we've lived has run 8k-13k. So I figure 3k is 1k each, which is less than $100 per month. I can spend that on my kids' future.

I think up to age 10-11 it may be doable but like PP said there comes a time when you have to invest something for the older kids. I am able to teach anything up to 6th but then my experience and education start to become spotty. I am now digging deeply into my mind to help DS do Geometry in public High school. Oddly it feels good to flex those muscles again!!! I could have been a professional student:001_smile:

If I had no money:

Math: MEP

Phonics: same as what I do now: keep checking out Phonics Pathways from the library, rotating whose card it is on to get around the renewal limits ;)

Grammar: any of the bazillion free grammar books on Google books + KISS

Memory Work: Poetry books and online lists

Writing: free Google books

Science: lots of resources at the library

History: ditto

At my kids' ages, that's really all I'd worry about getting covered if I truly had no money to spend.

Tara

Good for your friend! I'm a single mom homeschooling four and I just may be in that particular boat for the upcoming year. My budget is on a budget! If I am, I'm prepared to use the free resources that I have tried in the past here and there..

The Bible

KISS Grammar (free grammar)

MEP Math and Math-drills.com (free math program and worksheets)

123Teachme.com (free spanish)

Library for history, science and reading

Notebooking, Dictation, Book Reports, Outlines and Writing Handbook for writing

etc.

Ambleside and Old Fashioned Education are some other options

It can very well be done but dedication and consistency is a must.

KYSHA! You are my hero!! Way to go!!!! I have used all of these resources with excellent results as evidenced by 2 dd's graduated from college with 4.0 GPA's. We just didn't have any money. Dh and I thought homeschooling was best for our kids and I used mainly Ambleside Online and a library card with lots of craft ideas etc. from the internet. I did have a cheapo printer that i refilled the ink cartridges on constantly. I bought paper in bulk at Sams where it was very cheap.

I am going back to that way again as I found it was a better fit for me and my family. We read...read....read....and talk...talk...talk....then write...write...write.

The only thing I really can not do without is math books for all. Those I have waiting to be used.

My budget has been put on a budget too due the the economy.

~~Faithe

I have done this with the exception of Math workbooks. Quite honestly, I think I was much happier without all the bog down of having to finish XYZ because I spent the money on it. I used the internet, a library card and my computer extensively. I also had a cheapo printer with re-fillable cartridges. I just may have to go back to those ways again with the economy as it is....and it really was not so hard.

~~~Faithe

PS, at this point, I could probably teach out of my school closet for the next 10 years at least :-)

This is my philosophy for our home school. I tried pre-packaged and preplanned, and found it just too frustrating trying to keep up with a schedule that was not mine. I also have the *cheapo* copier with refillable cartridges, and I spend pennies on all my printing needs. Our days are much happier and relaxed, and I think we are covering a greater amount of material with better retention.

I literally am homeschooling with finds from the thrift store for the next several years. Each time I visit any thrift store I challenge myself to see if I could find books to teach with, based upon a Charlotte Mason or Well Trained Mind style. I am always amazed at what I could put in my buggy for a year's worth of learning, for only pennies on the dollar. Granted, this is not everyone's preferred mode of homeschooling, but it works for us. It seems with the literal plethora of homeschooling books and programs, there is more confusion and distress among homeschool moms (and dads too). It seems we are all making it harder on ourselves than it has to be, and that we're all looking for that one thing that will be *perfect*---then finding out that it was not.

I feel that the WTM and Charlotte Mason Companion are books written to help us see a way to reach a goal, giving us examples of books or topics to cover---but not hemming us in with rigid guidelines. That is what is so beautiful to me about those two books, and I see them as very helpful in getting a view of the *big picture*. Just my 2 cents...

I did have a cheapo printer that i refilled the ink cartridges on constantly. I bought paper in bulk at Sams where it was very cheap.

This ^^^^

I am going back to that way again as I found it was a better fit for me and my family. We read...read....read....and talk...talk...talk....then write...write...write.

and this too ^^^^ :iagree:

~~Faithe

That's all of it in a nutshell.

I agree! Curricula can be stifling, stagnant even. It can box or hem you in. The marketing is ridiculous. They try (successfully) to tell you that you need to buy their curricula because there is no other one out there that will possibly come close to the outcome of using the one they want you to buy. And if you donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t back up and start from the beginning with their curricula, you are doomed. Also, if you donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t continue with the said curricula, you and your children will suffer greatly and you will damage your precious children forever. This type of faulty marketing really annoys me; I tend to avoid a curriculum that is marketed in this manner, like the plague. (even if its good material) ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a big turn off to me. I would rather use honest curricula vendors, people who realize that there are many other valid choices out there.

I feel that books like WTM and CM offer a much deeper education than anything that you can find in a box.

:auto:

I have done this with the exception of Math workbooks. Quite honestly, I think I was much happier without all the bog down of having to finish XYZ because I spent the money on it. I used the internet, a library card and my computer extensively. I also had a cheapo printer with re-fillable cartridges.

I'm running into this problem (the bolded sentence), which is one of my reasons for opting out of purchasing very much (if any?) curriculum for next year. We don't have a lot of money and it really bugs me when I spend any of it on certain things that weren't what I thought they'd be or that the DDs didn't like.

I absolutely reject the idea that by choosing not to purchase curriculum I'm placing a lower value on my DDs' education or dooming myself to a life of homeschool drudgery. That's just insulting!!

Here's where I'm coming from. I'd rather spend what little money we have on education that ISN'T curriculum... aquarium memberships, trips to the zoo, dance lessons and so on. And, even if we had no budget for those extras, reading wonderful books and spending time together as a family will give my girls the best start in life. THOSE are my essentials.

IMO, curriculum should be a supplement to a child's real education (relationships, discussions, good books, LIFE, hobbies, experiences) and not the main event. Sometimes I think we get stuck in the mindset that for our kids to learn anything we need a formal program. ("Ok, honey. It's time to learn how to bounce a ball! Let me just grab my TM and we'll get started!" :D I joke. And I am definitely guilty of this thinking myself at times. I want to detox myself from this thinking.)

When I remember learning something as a child, it is ALWAYS within the context of living books or DOING something (e.g. I remember fractions in the context of learning to bake as a 6 year old). That's what I want for my kids.

Oh lordy, I'm starting to sound like an unschooler. Save me! :lol:

(I'm not - but we're very, very relaxed and interest driven. And I'm obviously an unschooling sympathizer. :D)

So, um, what did this have to do with the OP, again? Sorry - got a little OT.

~~~Faithe

:iagree: this is what we're doing next year as well, even though we will be using some curriculum, most of what I bought was used and can be re used, but I mostly bought aides. Phonics tiles for $4.25 have been a big hit and they are helping my DS with his reading and spelling.

Here's where I'm coming from. I'd rather spend what little money we have on education that ISN'T curriculum... aquarium memberships, trips to the zoo, dance lessons and so on. And, even if we had no budget for those extras, reading wonderful books and spending time together as a family will give my girls the best start in life. THOSE are my essentials.

IMO, curriculum should be a supplement to a child's real education (relationships, discussions, good books, LIFE, hobbies, experiences) and not the main event. Sometimes I think we get stuck in the mindset that for our kids to learn anything we need a formal program. ("Ok, honey. It's time to learn how to bounce a ball! Let me just grab my TM and we'll get started!" :D I joke. And I am definitely guilty of this thinking myself at times. I want to detox myself from this thinking.)

When I remember learning something as a child, it is ALWAYS within the context of living books or DOING something (e.g. I remember fractions in the context of learning to bake as a 6 year old). That's what I want for my kids.

I bolded the above. I agree with every bit of this. The day I put down my *school-in-a-box* was the day I realized I was doing the same thing. Love the example of teaching how to bounce a ball! That's what it felt like to me. :lol:

He thinks it shouldn't cost us more to homeschool one than it does to send two to public school.

That doesn't make sense. Your nephew is not buying curricula and supplies for his kid. The school does that.

Homeschooling can be done for cheap or free, but to say that we can or should limit the budget to what parents of public-schooled kids pay doesn't have any logical basis.

Tara

That doesn't make sense. Your nephew is not buying curricula and supplies for his kid. The school does that.

Homeschooling can be done for cheap or free, but to say that we can or should limit the budget to what parents of public-schooled kids pay doesn't have any logical basis.

Tara

I homeschool my kids for less than what it would cost to put them in ps. That's one of the agreements that I have with Dh, with us being and low income family and hs'ing potentially expensive.

But in the cost of ps I include clothes because the school has a dress code that a lot of the hand me downs my kids wear at home wouldn't fit into- so each kid would have to have a new wardrobe and a few pairs of shoes. Then all the usual supplies, and a backpack. We would have to buy all the kids workbooks for math and english. Lunches and concession stand for snack time. Gas driving them to and from school (because I'm not putting them on the bus, long story) Then there's all the fees they hit you up for during the year- field trips, fundraisers, and whatever else. I can estimate it costing at least $500 to get my 2 oldest started in ps kn the fall, not counting expenses during the year. I can buy their books for a year and hs them for less than that.

Anyhow, if I were to do it for free I would use MEP math, and the rest in library books, nature walks, and what ever field trips we could manage.

I feel that books like WTM and CM offer a much deeper education than anything that you can find in a box.

:auto:

But CM and WTM aren't free. Maybe in the early years but even then they recommend curriculum. And the definitely recommend lab sciences in high school - pretty much impossible to do without buying something. I know from having a high schooler myself and being on the high school boards that many are taking to finding youtube videos of labs and then calling that a lab science but to me that's lying and misrepresenting the coursework.

I'm not saying that you can't be frugal but even following WTM and CM will require monetary resources at some point.

Heather

Tara

I agree. Although if you look at it the other way, I'd love to have what the school system pays for each kid. Our county gets almost 20K in tax money per kid. Send that my way and I'd be one happy camper :-).

Heather

Tara

Luckily, I've gotten him past this line of thinking. I explained to him that parents of public schooled kids don't pay for curricula and most of the supplies. He agreed.

We'll probably never be able to spend tons of money on homeschooling, but I don't think he'll balk at anything that I believe will be truly beneficial. :)

Homeschooling for nearly free may be doable, especially with younger kids, but would be harder as they get older. Also I have kids with learning disabilities so that just makes all learning harder. I just can't imagine how I would do my housekeeping, cooking etc (and keep my sanity) if I had to spend hours every day planning and finding more resources in addition to the hours that I already spend teaching my boys. I'm grateful to have some open and go curriculum, it makes it all doable.

But CM and WTM aren't free. Maybe in the early years but even then they recommend curriculum. And the definitely recommend lab sciences in high school - pretty much impossible to do without buying something. I know from having a high schooler myself and being on the high school boards that many are taking to finding youtube videos of labs and then calling that a lab science but to me that's lying and misrepresenting the coursework.

Wow. :001_huh:

I'm not saying that you can't be frugal but even following WTM and CM will require monetary resources at some point.

Heather

Agreed. Yes, not entirely for free, and they do recommend curricula, true. But I find that most of it is outside of the scope of the typical boxed curriculum, which may have that mentality that I was mentioning. I do love a curriculum that is planned out, donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t get me wrong. I simply do not believe that we should limit ourselves to it, or think that in some way we need it to give a good education. A good education can come in many forms.

High school materials can be made from the library as well. Yes, one will have to buy the supplies, but thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a given. Personally, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d rather not do it that way but it can be done.

I like to think of science and history curricula as supplemental to our library/living books studies in the early years. ;)

Homeschooling for nearly free may be doable, especially with younger kids, but would be harder as they get older. Also I have kids with learning disabilities so that just makes all learning harder. I just can't imagine how I would do my housekeeping, cooking etc (and keep my sanity) if I had to spend hours every day planning and finding more resources in addition to the hours that I already spend teaching my boys. I'm grateful to have some open and go curriculum, it makes it all doable.

I think parents should do what works best for their family.

But, I think perpetuating the myth that homeschooling for free (or nearly free) requires "hours every day planning..." is not helpful. Trust me, I'm not a martyr and if I thought it would be a huge time suck, I wouldn't bother.

It does requires research in the planning stages - but not necessarily any more than researching traditional paid-for options. And if you use MEP for math (a GREAT program) and www.lessonpathways.com for the rest, it's all preplanned for you (grades K-5).

It also might be helpful for people concerned about time to re-read some of the threads about whether anyone on this board actually uses any curriculum as written. (Short answer: no) Almost all of us tweak, supplement and continue researching throughout the school year.

I'd venture a guess that most of us already go to the library anyway. That's the only extra effort it takes.