Menu

I'm wondering if I should quit HS for my kids' sake?

Hi all,

Boy, do I need some direction here...I haven't posted a whole lot as this is my first year hs'ing dd's 4, 7, 9. I have very strong beliefs about the benefits of home schooling and it is the way of life I want for our family.

*BUT*

This year has greatly impacted us economically and I had to increase my hours at work to 20/25 as soon as I started our school year. I'm a nurse, and can work pretty flexible hours - mostly afternoon/evenings so we get school done in the early part of the day. However, 20 hours a week away is a lot when you don't have a housekeeper, a cook, a grocery shopper...you get my point. My life is FULL every minute. Because of this, there are many things that have been put on the back-burner; things I think they need to thrive in this world (of course I may be wrong). They are getting the 3 R's (you can see what I use below), and we're getting a full school week done in each week, minus extra-curricular stuff. I'm holding on to hs'ing with a death grip because it's what I want to do, but I'm wondering I need to let it go for the sake of my kids. I can't shake this guilt that I can't squeeze in more to round them out each week. Things like:

• Field trips (we've been to the science center ONCE and the zoo twice, the symphony a couple times, am going to the dairy farm next month, that's about it.
  • Nature walks once a week (we've done one all year)
  • Meeting other kids from our town's home school group (they aren't "socialized" except with each other for the most part).
  • Foreign language (we live in AZ and I want them to learn Spanish)
  • Piano (mostly due to lack of income)
  • Extra-curricular sport or dance (this is mostly due to lack of income, too)

I have this feeling they would be getting more out of public school than they are at home, even though HOME is where I want them to be in an ideal situation (which ours is not).

Can you advise me? :confused:

Thanks a million,

Christa

DD9 - MFW Adventures, MUS Gamma, R&S English, Spelling Power, Classically Cursive, English from the Roots Up.

DD7 - MFW 1st (plus Adventures History with Sis), MUS Beta, ETC, English from the Roots up,

DD4.5 - No formal program; knows all the Prek stuff, i.e. letter sounds, shapes, etc. We're working on fine motor skills, and she learned by osmosis all her Old Testament books :001_smile:

I think you should stick it out IF this is the way you believe you should educate your children. What does dh think? If you believe they need more extra cirricular activities, and there are many here, myself included who think it is overated and takes away from valuable family time, could dh help out with this aspect? Have you though about per diem nursing shifts in an ER? I am not a nurse, but I have heard that a person could make excellent $ working just 2 overnight weekend shifts as opposed to during the week. My children have done the soccer thing etc., it's not absolutely necessary imo. I think learning to care for and about each other as a family is much more so. We pulled out of every activity a few years ago and am only now slowing adding a few. These 2 years have been wonderful for our family. We are so much closer to each other. Finally, your children are young. I don't think that you are going to ruin them if they don't get [insert any activity here] for a year. You can always reevaluate.

These thoughts are my $0.02 so take them for what they are worth and I hth.:001_smile:

Is this an organizational problem? If you had a strict schedule would you be less stressed?

Do your girls play with neighborhood kids after school and weekends? If they do that is plenty of socialization. If they don't can you arrange for them to?

Have you checked the Y for sports/dance? That is usually fairly inexpensive.

Can you incorporate Spanish into your school time?

There are some great teach at home piano resources available. This is one. I have a homeschooling friend in town that is going to start this as soon as she gets the books.

First, take a deep breath. You are NOT ruining your kids, and the truth is that either choice you make will end up being fine for now. It's all okay.

Next, know that it is not field trips, foreign languages or any of that extra stuff that's important....YOU are what's important. Are you able to focus on the kids for a couple of the hours a day when you're home? Or are you too frazzled? If they went to public school would they get more of "you" during their time at home?

When your kids are as young as yours are, you can accomplish most of what they need in a very short amount of "desk" time. Why not pick one day a week for field trips and just do what you can do the rest of the time?

Many of us "long-timers" look back on those early years and wish we'd done a bit less of the book work and a bit more of the fun stuff with the kids. During this early "sponge stage" they're learning all the time anyway - you can't stop them. Go heavy on the read alouds, the cool videos about how things work, stuff like that. Get out of the house without guilt.

And if you need to put them into school for a couple of years, that's fine, too. Just take them out later.

How important is homeschooling to you vs the extracurricular activities? We don't do nature walks once a week, but my dc know a surprising amount about nature. My dd's swim on a boys and girls club team which is better and more serious than most of the B&G club teams I know of (we have a good coach), and it's very affordable. I spent about $100 per girl plus goggles and gas to some of the away meets. That $100 covered the cost of joining the team and the team suits. We got the B&G membership free due to our health insurance. My 13 yo plans to swim on the local high school team next year as homeschoolers are able to join.

As for socialization, are there kids in the neighbourhood? Most of the social skills my dc have learned have come by learning to live with each other. Respect, sharing, working together, etc. They do have other children they interact with, but kids don't need an overkill of this. In fact, a great read on this (perhaps you could read it on your breaks at work or something) is called Hold onto Your Kids. They don't advocate homeschooling (but aren't opposed to it), but basically argue that kids ought to be parent oriented rather than peer oriented, and back up their arguments very will, IMO.

I personally would homeschool my dc if they were that young and I were in your shoes. I think the early years (4 & 7) are very, very important. My piano teacher, who walked off with every piano trophy there was in the city's awards and who was accepted to Juliard, didn't start piano lessons until she was 10. And she only started them because her grandmother thought she was too much of a tomboy. I have a friend who is a professional cellist and has a Ph.D. in music compostition (Art music aka "classical" music) who started music when he was 11 playing the guitar after seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan (he's quite a bit older than I am). Etc--ie, they don't have to start now.

This is my two cents, of course, and what I would do based on what I think and know.

What many of you stated is what I believe, too. We had too many activities when the kids were in a regular school, and they were fried. I was tired of keeping up with the Joneses, activity-wise. Now, they have so much extra time, that some extra field trips and opportunites to flex their muscles seems like a good idea (rather than playing Wii). It is good to hear someone say they don't think they're being cheated out of their "childhood." They do plead with me to put together more playdates with their old school friends...I was hoping they would have met some from our local group by now, but that hasn't happened. Our neighborhood is a ghost town! I do feel frazzled (and I do focus a good 3-4 hours with them each day), but don't want "me" time, I just want more time with my kids. My heart is breaking every day over this.

Newlifemom, about the nursing thing, it's pretty much an ideal situation where I'm at - $37/hour, plus $55/hour when I take call on the weekend. No ER stress, either. The breadwinning is in my court right now until this economy turns around, so I need both higher pay and more hours to get us through this. Hubby's industry is in development.

Thanks for your advice and helpful insight!

Christa

Edited by BalanceSeeker

About the nursing thing, it's an ideal situation where I'm at - $37/hour, plus $55/hour when I take call on the weekend. No ER stress, either. The breadwinning is in my court right now until this economy turns around, so I need both higher pay and more hours to get us through this. Hubby's industry is in development.

Thanks for your advice and helpful insight!

Christa

How difficult would it be for your dh to become the SAHD while you are working until the turn around? Can he work from home for a while?

How difficult would it be for your dh to become the SAHD while you are working until the turn around? Can he work from home for a while?

Hubby works from home already. That's how I'm able to home school, flit off to work when they call me, etc. He is still trying to put deals together up in his office all darn day. I'm glad for that, but I'm the one with the steady income to pay our bills and not get deeper in debt. We'd sell our house if we could, but houses on our street aren't selling, even at a bargain :glare:

Well, right now I'm working outside the house (RN), three 12-hour shifts per week. I don't get it all done, and there's no way I could. Dh *must* pick up the slack. I was only working 2 12-hr shifts per week, and we counted those days as the "weekend." I have to tell you though, it burnt me out. I had to pick up a 3 day contract because dh is about to get furloughed. We need my income. Therefore, since we both agree that homeschooling is our route for right now, he has to pick up more slack.

I also have very low standards when it comes to housecleaning, so that helps.

I also have very low standards when it comes to housecleaning, so that helps.

LOL. That is great. I wish I could say the same! My floors look so awful after a week, it just HAS to have a good moppin'. And the dust here in AZ...sheesh.

I have to say, I've greatly enjoyed some of the perks of hs'ing. It has been nice not having the kids come home imitating certain classmates' language. Deconstructing some bad habits was a real problem, and I need to remind myself to take that into account when I'm doubting they are getting their needs met. They are getting better at treating each other kindly and they are learning the importance of teamwork in a family. Mom is no longer the taxi to and fro. Academically, I've seen progress, too. Dd9 was SO LOST in math at her private school and just hated it. We slowed down, backed up, and got her caught up. Just tonight, she casually said, "I love math, Mom." What a huge breakthrough that was!

Thanks for all your wonderful feedback.

Christa

Christa,

When needed, my DH is very comfortable supervising independent work with my oldest (he did this regularly when dd8 was younger and I did some per diem work). Is there a subject or two that you can declare to be more independent work, which you can ask your DH to make sure is completed in your absence?

My goal is to make sure my kids are with other kids/people for two things a week. For us, I try to make sure they go to church and the library. But the park will count in nice weather. And some weeks they get more, and some weeks less (less is more frequent right now, since we just moved). I've been counting trips to the grocery store as socialization right now, since they (esp my dd3) talk to everyone in the store anyway!

Hope you find a balance that works for you. :grouphug:

On the bad days, I try to remind myself that I'd STILL have to do all that I'm doing, if they were in PS (bring home homework, do laundry, shop, outings, etc). The only thing they would get more of is time to pass notes in class, or perhaps play with friends in PE, that sort of thing. I don't work outside the home right now, but I have health issues that keep me from doing all for them that I would like.

Are there any subjects you can cut from the list? Especially since you've got three. It looks like a lot. (I say that not being real familiar with most of what you're using; if it's all taught in small bits, it may be fine.)

I know your dh is trying to work from home, but is he actually helping you as well, or is he basically babysitting while you're gone? Because if he is, he will need to pick up some of that slack ... you can't do it all. (If he is helping, then good for him!)

I have no real practical advice, just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your situation or your worries. I work from home 30 hours a week, and I'm also burning out trying to get everything done. The social stuff hits me hard too, because my girls love to be around other kids. We host a weekly playgroup, which is great, but I feel major guilt over not having a "community" for the girls. We have few kids in our neighborhood, and even fewer who are anywhere my DDs' ages. If we want to see other kids for social stuff, it's a big production :( Coincidentally, this is hitting me hard today too.

Anyway, :grouphug: to you. It's so difficult. I don't think anyone can make this decision for you, but do try to remember accurately the real disadvantages that existed when your kids were in school. Don't romanticize it for yourself. The grass is probably not greener on the other side!

I hope you figure it all out.

My heart goes out to you mamas who have to work :grouphug:.

I know the "friends to play with" thing can be tough, but think about it. Who are your kids going to be close to when they grow up? You and their siblings. Play dates with friends will be dusty memories in the recesses of their minds.

Hang in there. :grouphug:

My ds is 11 and dd is 7 - this year is the first year we've been able to afford outside activities both budget and energy wise. And they are well socialized and happy. Of course my kid's personalities might have something to do with it. But having said that, my ds might be an introvert but my dd is very much an extrovert and they're both fine!

One suggestion: have you considered switching to schooling year around? You might want to get the 3 R's done each week now during the school year but over the summer do lots and lots of nature walks and field trips. Or if your climate in Arizona doesn't make that appealing (and it might not:D), you might do a 6 week devoted to the 3 R's and one week devoted to field trips (and housework) kind of schedule.

I think you are wonderful. I think you are doing great. I know those children are happy at home. Your home has to be a wonderful refuge where they can be safe and play happily.

I am personally against "socialization". I believe that it is a ploy to undermine homeschooling. The examples of "unsocialized homeschoolers" that I have seen portrayed are ones that would be the misfit in any school enviroment. And usually end up discovering the lightbulb or internet!

So that said, your girls are perfectly spaced to be best friends. Give those girls a room (mine have the dining room, we just eat in the kitchen if I knew how to put a picture here I would post one) and let them run their imaginations to the sky. Tell them they are each others best friends forever. Nurture that relationship while they are young and it will insulate them from the future relationships of middle and high school that sometimes are very painful. IF you teach them that they have each other, they will always have someone to sit with in a group, always have a hand to hold when they are nervous, and always have a playmate, My 2 dds play all day every day together. They see other little girls at church or once a month at skate/park day but it is each other that they have learned to be with. They are 3 years apart. My ds17 plays with them all the time too, He is the one who has taught them how to come down the zip line safely and land on the playhouse roof without breaking anything. How to hang upside down on it without hanging yourself. How to sword fight, be an elf, hobbit, wizard whatever. His friends that come over know that his sisters are going to follow them around and you know what? they do really good with them and I have had several mothers tell me that my son has taught their son's how to be better brothers to their little siblings.

Your kids are socialized everyday with you, dh and each other.

One problem fixed.,

Next: Piano.

Get the DVD teaching one. Try Kinderbach's, Jaffee Piano system ( I think I didn't spell that right), or just google teach piano from home.

If you are going nature walking every week and school everyday , I am so proud of you! You do better than half the homeschoolers I know!!

Your house doesn't have to be sterilized, just semi-clean.

This is a short season in your life. Don't schedule it to death. Your kids will be better with a mother that will stop and read a book instead of worrying whether the toilet is sparkling!. My house will only get so dirty my dh once said. Let it go. and you know he was right.

You can do this!! You already are!! your kids would miss so much more at school than at home.

Edited by sunshine
made my boy a girl so had to fix that!

You aren't even at a point where you will see many of the major benefits yet. I work a similar schedule to yours, but only half time, three 12s every two weeks-so it is much easier. I have four at home, I'm teaching three. One is out of school.

I am a strong proponent of involved and responsible spouses-no "head" of the household here-LOL! Or if he is the head, he still has to pitch in like the rest of us peons. If you are financially responsible for keeping things going, I vote that you strongly encouraged dh to do his part. Is he supportive of homeschooling? IF so, that helps. Keep trying, let housekeeping go, they get older, it gets more systematic and easier. You can do it!

From my remedial work, if they're learning ETC, they're doing better than 95% of the schools I've seen in reading. And, without a good reading background, how much of your other subjects can they really learn!

Here's a few ideas that might help:

Have your kids plan what kind of field trips/nature walks/socialization they want to do. If they help with the housework more and promise to do a bit of oral math work and oral spelling during the trip, they get to go do something they want to do once every 2 weeks...if it works out well, you could do it a bit more often depending on your schedule.

Work one extra day a week and during that day, pay a homeschooling mom who speaks Spanish to homeschool your kids that day and teach them Spanish. (You could instead find a motivated stay at home Spanish speaking mom with younger kids who is willing to supervise a bit of homeschool work and do some Spanish teaching and speaking with them.)

I've always worked and homeschooled with most of my work being from home. And it is hard. Frankly there are times I wish that I had the flexiblity of "just" being mom, but that said, we need the $ more than ever and have chosen to continue this as a fall-back option when DH retires (which will probably be earlier than we'd like).

When you work and homeschool, you have to lay out what is reasonable for your family and put on the blinders. I had a conversation with a mom this week who just didn't grasp that I can't take an afternoon off each week for an art class or set up play dates on short notice without compromising my work and the level of academics that I've chosen for my kids. I have one in the logic stage and one almost there, and we need at least three full days at home each week if not more to get their work done, and then I have to spend a certain number of hours on work each day. So our homeschool has to look "different" than some. If I compare to "just homeschooling" parents, it does look like I'm doing less, but not really in our case because we school year-round and really emphasize the 3 R's. Think quality, not quantity.

Each weekend I write out assignments for both of my kids so that they keep working if I need to be on the phone or otherwise occupied. When they know that they can't do XXX or YYY until they finish the assignment sheet, they're more likely to try to work out things on their own.

HTH!

I think it sounds like you're feeling like you are missing some 'mom time', where you can take it easy and enjoy the nature walks, and field trips. But you were missing that when they were in public school, too, because you mentioned always being on the run and that's what you wanted to get away from.

You may have to accept that right now, you need to work. That means you don't have time for everything. The kids don't sound neglected in their education or their family life. Sometimes you just do what you have to do; hang in there, encourage husband to do a few more of the field trips, and remember your daughter saying she loves math now.

Christa,

Bless your heart! I think all of us would understand your struggles to some point or other.

Below is highlighted and I'd like to address each one. See my red notes beside yours.

Let me preface all of this to say that God will direct you on what is best for your family right now. If you can at all hang in there, I would encourage that because it's clear you love homeschooling and think it's the best and it's a lifestyle, ministry, etc, etc...I feel that way too.

Do you have ANY one who can "assist"? Another homeschooling family/homeschooling support group, anyone in your church with kids perhaps they h'school, or maybe not, family, close friend, neighbor????? They could do some of what you listed: nature walk, field trips, etc. Maybe there is an older high school level h'school student who can teach "beginning" Spanish. I've had 5 years at high school/college level and I'm certain a well versed older kid could do this. HTH. Sheryl <><

Field trips (we've been to the science center ONCE and the zoo twice, the symphony a couple times, am going to the dairy farm next month, that's about it. Lower the expectation for a while. Instead of once a week or once a month, focus on a good 2 or 3 in a year.

Nature walks once a week (we've done one all year) Shorten the walk, tie it in with running errands to an area where you would take the nature walk...maybe fewer times. Tie it in to a family vacation.

Meeting other kids from our town's home school group (they aren't "socialized" except with each other for the most part). I think this may be a very group untapped resourced for you. Check it out, and the moms in the group may have suggestions and or recommendations for people helping, etc If they can't "now" maybe in the future....ask!

Foreign language (we live in AZ and I want them to learn Spanish) Just 15 minutes 2 times a week...then give them "homework" like little activity sheets they need to complete in between. If you know/remember the basics of Spanish this would work. If you don't know the language then perhaps that older student, neighbor, relative, friend, etc.

Piano (mostly due to lack of income) I would wait for this, for now.

Extra-curricular sport or dance (this is mostly due to lack of income, too) Again, this could be "sourced" out with someone else. A mom friend in you h'school group/church that have their kids enrolled in same activity could take yours under her wing every now and then for this event.

Hi all,

Boy, do I need some direction here...I haven't posted a whole lot as this is my first year hs'ing dd's 4, 7, 9. I have very strong beliefs about the benefits of home schooling and it is the way of life I want for our family.

*BUT*

This year has greatly impacted us economically and I had to increase my hours at work to 20/25 as soon as I started our school year. I'm a nurse, and can work pretty flexible hours - mostly afternoon/evenings so we get school done in the early part of the day. However, 20 hours a week away is a lot when you don't have a housekeeper, a cook, a grocery shopper...you get my point. My life is FULL every minute. Because of this, there are many things that have been put on the back-burner; things I think they need to thrive in this world (of course I may be wrong). They are getting the 3 R's (you can see what I use below), and we're getting a full school week done in each week, minus extra-curricular stuff. I'm holding on to hs'ing with a death grip because it's what I want to do, but I'm wondering I need to let it go for the sake of my kids. I can't shake this guilt that I can't squeeze in more to round them out each week. Things like:

• Field trips (we've been to the science center ONCE and the zoo twice, the symphony a couple times, am going to the dairy farm next month, that's about it.
  • Nature walks once a week (we've done one all year)
  • Meeting other kids from our town's home school group (they aren't "socialized" except with each other for the most part).
  • Foreign language (we live in AZ and I want them to learn Spanish)
  • Piano (mostly due to lack of income)
  • Extra-curricular sport or dance (this is mostly due to lack of income, too)

I have this feeling they would be getting more out of public school than they are at home, even though HOME is where I want them to be in an ideal situation (which ours is not).

Can you advise me? :confused:

Thanks a million,

Christa

DD9 - MFW Adventures, MUS Gamma, R&S English, Spelling Power, Classically Cursive, English from the Roots Up.

DD7 - MFW 1st (plus Adventures History with Sis), MUS Beta, ETC, English from the Roots up,

DD4.5 - No formal program; knows all the Prek stuff, i.e. letter sounds, shapes, etc. We're working on fine motor skills, and she learned by osmosis all her Old Testament books :001_smile:

Boy! After reading your post, it felt like someone posted for me. I work nights, 28 hours per week, as a medical transcriptionist. Fortunately, I get to do this from home but working until 1 AM (and 8:30 pm to 7 AM on Saturdays), I am sleep deprived most of the time and I have had all of the same feelings that you have had. I still think my kids are better off at home even though I can't do all of the things that I would like to do with our homeschool. I am a perfectionist, control freak at heart and it has been a struggle for me to just let up on myself. Every time I sit down to research schools because I think I am failing my children, I am reminded very quickly of all of the reasons that they are homeschooled to begin with. I have chosen curriculum for our next school year though that is more open and go to help me even more. I also school year round, but only 4 days per week which enables us one day to do things outside the house together. I think you are going to be fine. Just let up on yourself a little.

:grouphug:Thank you so much. And extra hugs to all you moms in the same boat with working.

I think I'll keep on going after all your encouragement that the kids are still in a good place, even without all the fun extras. I will look into the Y and see what opportunities they have.

DH - bless his heart - he does try to help with the house/laundry. Unfortunately, the need for help is like a never ending pit! And, I do want him "working" so that I can cut hours back someday. He does like doing Art lessons with them since he's an architect.

I forgot to mention or take into account that the kids are in church once a week and go to AWANA mid-week. Just can't maneuver the homeschool group park days/field trips, or play dates with old friends from school when they live far and are IN school everyday.

I've sort of fallen into a year-round school naturally since I need more frequent breaks so I don't crash and burn. Plus, I don't want them forgetting math facts, etc. I'd say with the curriculum I've chosen, school is "light" so hopefully it's enough.

I do think we can squeeze in a couple spanish lessons a week. I have been researching which one. Some like Rosetta, some don't...and I don't want to spend that kind of $ if it isn't a REALLY good program. Learnables looked good, until I heard they used "tapes" :confused: That seemed a little archaic.

I purchased a piano system at home and haven't opened them up (I also need to fix my piano that has a stuck key). I should give them a chance, thanks for the reminder :001_smile:

And, I know I need to let the house go a little more...I don't know why a clean house does something so positive mentally for me. I sure do miss having someone come in every other week to spruce things up for me. I liked the feeling of helping another family financially, too.

You guys are the best.

Christa

I understand. {{{Hugs}}}

I work outside the home 21 hours +, and homeschool additional children as income in addition to that.

I don't have many free minutes, either.

Here's what I know from my own experience and also having owned a daycare: Working outside the home moms have a hard time of it *regardless*. It's a tough gig.

It would not be less tough if your kids were in a brick and mortar setting; just the specific challenges would change.

You sound organized and focused and committed. Your children will thrive as you continue to trudge through this challenging season.

PS: Don't compare yourself to other homeschoolers, particularly those who don't have to work outside the home.

:grouphug:. Some like Rosetta, some don't...and I don't want to spend that kind of $ if it isn't a REALLY good program. Learnables looked good, until I heard they used "tapes" :confused: That seemed a little archaic.

I

Christa

We tried both the Learnables and Rosetta Stone. We like Rosetta Stone, and find it a great fit because there's not enough time for me to be teaching them a language. We got a homeschool version that has workbooks, so there is a bit of written work. My 13 yo has been going through this very slowly since she was 8 or 9, and is planning to study German in high school She has a great command of vocabulary, is a natural at spelling, so has read enough from this to be able to spell what she's learned, has picked up semantics and some of the grammar, so will be ready to study German grammar and a couple of easy subjects in German in high school (elementary math & history, along with a grammar, and she'll at least learn to read and write in German). My 10 yo just started this without the workbook and is sailing through it. She'll do more with it in high school, too. But they'll have a real edge over starting German in high school from scratch.

Naturally, a full time immersion in German would be the best, but that's not possible, and we

I work 20-30 hours a week outside the home, too. I run the youth sports programs at our Y.

For me, it was so hard having the kids *in* PS, and I resented that they were getting less than I was giving them before. I brought them home.

It's hard. I don't have much free time. I *love* my job, though, and it's really a social outlet. The kids get to go with me. My kids are "Y kids."

All of that said: If I felt I wasn't meeting fairly high goals on the *academic* side, I would put them back in school. I do expect my kids to perform above level now, and that is not an expectation I had in the past.

Anyway, it's just my contribution to it all. You decide what works for your family. We took 3 semesters off homeschooling, and it was great for all of us, until it wasn't.

Edited by Sunshyne
amend a thought

• 3 weeks later...

Have you considered combining them into something that includes more "extras" already...maybe not the out of the house stuff, but at least enough to round them out academically? I'm speaking mainly of Heart of Dakota since you are so pressed for time and need to get into many subjects without stretching yourself too thin. You could probably combine your older two in Bigger Hearts with their own LA and math. You younger could sit in or could do Little Hands to Heaven. Also, your oldest could do some of the lessons with your youngest (my 7yo does with my pre-k'er). Also, your oldest is old enough to do much of the reading independently. That would take more time off of you. Possibly, oldest could read history and science readings to the 7yo?? We are using the guide before Bigger Hearts and LHTH with phonics/K math, Power Glide Latin Jr., with a two year old running around and it still only takes a couple hours a day.

We cover science (with experiments!), Bible, History, Geography, all Language Arts, Math, Copywork,Narration, Poetry Study, Art, Crafts, Storytime/genre discussion, Literature study with Drawn Into the Heart of Reading,....all in very manageable chunks using some faves of Cathy Duffy and Classical circles.

Just a thought!