Menu

Who's buying next year's school stuff?

KIN

Have you started buying next year's curricula?  

1. 1. Have you started buying next year's curricula?

• Yes, I've got over half of my items for next year.
    • Yes, I've started a little.
    • I know what I need, but haven't started.
    • Are you kidding? I never buy my stuff until I need it!

I bought all my stuff; it just arrived today actually! Yay! :D If I need more things for next year, I'll just order as I need. Oh, I lied. I still need to buy my science course but I'm waiting for the updated version that comes out in March.

I have a little bit, but I'm waiting until the WTM conference to purchase my PHP stuff, and then 3 weeks after that is our state homeschool convention, I usually buy as much as I can there and then whatever is left I purchase online.

Last week I started researching and putting my shopping list together! picking out and purchasing curriculum is so exciting!!;)

I'm questioning if I should wait for my states hs conference (they have a large used sale) in May or just start buying things now.

I'm actually going through what I want to do and writing down the books I will need. My biggest thing is wondering if I should go new or used. I have a toddler but he is 4 years out from any formal schooling.

I know what I need but haven't found much used and I'm trying to go that route until our tax refund comes (which should be in a week or so) once that comes I'll buy whatever I haven't found yet from the companies. I was able to find a couple of things today, but so far that was only one of the CLE math TM's I need and I of the lightunits, so not much.

In fact, I clicked the button and moved everything from my wish list to my cart at Rainbow Resources yesterday. I ordered Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings a couple of weeks ago, and it arrived today. (I can't wait to dig in and start figuring that one out!)

At this point, all I have left to purchase are three Thames & Kosmos science kits and two Shakespeare plays. I know LLLOTR has a unit on Macbeth, and I'm waiting to see what plays are being done locally next year to choose a second.

How bizarre is it--not here, but out in the real world--that I'm so excited about all of this?

We school year round and oldest ds should be done with a lot of his stuff within the next few months so I'll start ordering his new stuff soon so I can have time to look it over.

My younger set just started a new history program last month, my middle two just started the next level of AAS, and ds8 just started a new math program, so I think that other than plugging in the next level of WWE when they get to it, I won't be buying new stuff for them until closer to fall.

But Ido know most of what we'll be doing when the time comes.

I've started picking up lit, biographies, and some other history books as I find them - paperbackswap.com, the local used bookstore, and the occasional one at B&N or Borders. I pretty much know exactly what we need and I've bought a few small things, but I'm saving the bulk of it for after the tax refund.

I usually start buying new and selling old after the first of the year. I don't know why, but I really get a bug during the winter months to plan and buy! :)

I really enjoy planning and buying this time of the year. Looking forward helps me get past the current mid-year slump.

I voted that I have most of my stuff bought, but actually, I've already bought everything that I'll need next year.

This is my 6th year of homeschooling, so I have a very clear idea of what I want to do and how I want to do it. Yes, a few things will change, but honestly, I won't be able to make that assessment until I start planning out the school year, or better yet, after we've gone through the program for a couple of weeks.

This mostly happens with my oldest son. At that point, I find something new. Sometimes I sell what I was using; sometimes I hang on to it to see if it's a better fit for another child or the same child, but at a later date. I find that the subjects I struggle with and change the most are Latin, history, and occasionally literature.

I've gotten a few things used that I need, and am planning on placing the first of 2-3 Rainbow Orders I'll need to place before the fall.

I normally don't buy until May or June, but I'm a little nervous about starting in on the next History cycle and the Logic stage, so I'm a but antsy. Also, this is the first year I have a homeschool budget, and am worried I'm going to think I've bought all I need and buy fun stuff and then realize I left something necessary and important out and not have the money.

So basically, paranoia is driving me to buy stuff early.

I'm done (hopefully) for next year shopping. Here is what I bought last week: Hillside PLL.

The rest are parts of multi-year curricula, e.g. MoTL & MAth Mammoth (bought a 4 year package), dictation exercise book (S.Anthony), and Phonics PAthway. For content-focused lessons, I use combination of AO and OFE, so it's all about printing.

I usually wait til Tax Return is here, but dh was laid off yesterday so I will buy what I absolutely need NOW and hopefully there will be some left later.

oh dear, I hope that he finds a new and better position quickly. The layoffs are happening daily here in Oregon, too. There are many ways that we can teach the children for little or no cost. Do you have a good library system?

I voted the 3rd option, but I'm somewhere between the 3rd and 4th actually.

For some subjects I know what I need and it will be a quick purchase of the next item (grammar, math).

For others - history, writing - I've got some research to do before I decide and purchase.

Probably around March or so I"ll get serious. Then I can know what I want to look at at the convention in May.

I've started purchasing a few things as I've found them used. I'm also starting a list of things to get at convention! Our tax refund will be here in the next week or so, so we'll budget some of it for some extra's. We really want to be able to purchase the children the magiscope from RR.

I know what i need, not sure when i'll be able to get it.

I have a hefty chunk i need to buy buy the end of May, but the rest i'm thinking i don't "need" until the end of summer. I'll have to borrow the money to get that stuff bought too :(

I have a list of stuff i'd like to get at our Convention here in FL, but honestly, i'm not sure if i can go this year. It's going to be hard because i won't have funds to get what i want - so why tempt myself. OTOH, it always kicks my butt and gets me excited.....

Sigh.... so many things at work this coming year....

I think I'm done other than getting blocks and possibly extra student pages for MUS. Another co-op mom is giving me the Alpha book and CD when she finishes with them (I'm so grateful!). Then again, I keep seeing things that we just "have to have."

I wonder if ps teachers feel the same way we do about picking and choosing? *ponders*