Menu

I overheard the following conversation today

The woman in line in front of me was buying stamps.

Customer: "Who is this guy on the stamp?"

Postmistress: "That is Edgar Allen Poe."

Customer: "Oh...what does he do?"

Postmistress: "I don't know, I think he is some sort of writer."

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

You're kidding me, right? Oh, how sad.

My 9 yo got an Edgar Allen Poe action figure for his 8th birthday, at his request.

Wow. Just.....wow.

I went and found an image of the stamp:

http://stamps.about.com/od/buyingsellingstamps/ig/2009-USPS-Stamp-Releases/Edgar-Allan-Poe.htm

Please note that it actually SAYS HIS NAME on the stamp.

So, I showed it to my 10-year-old son and asked him who it was. He looked at me like I had lost what is left of my mind and said, "Um, Edgar Allan Poe?" Then I related your story, and he was appalled: "Some kind of writer? He was only one of the best poets to ever live!"

He got brownie points for that one.

You're kidding me, right? Oh, how sad.

My 9 yo got an Edgar Allen Poe action figure for his 8th birthday, at his request.

Wow. Just.....wow.

Where does one find said action figure?

How bad is it that I haven't taught my 8 yr old about Mr. Poe? I'm just concentrating on teaching him to *read* but we'll get to the fun stuff soon.

Where does one find said action figure?

How bad is it that I haven't taught my 8 yr old about Mr. Poe? I'm just concentrating on teaching him to *read* but we'll get to the fun stuff soon.

We delve into so much history and poets and writers just from a daily reading of The Writer's Almanac. Today he profiled Edgar Allen Poe and we did copywork with "The Raven". The Writer's Almanac gets us into really good discussions and takes us on tangents we didn't know were possible. :)

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/

How about this guy?

He's got a stamp. And was certainly one of America's greatest poets. But I wonder how many people have even heard of him, much less read his works?

Bill

I know him. I've read his poems. My elementary school and the surdounding neighborhood were named for him. I took dance lessons at Stone House, named for a line in one of his works.

lol, Well *I* know who Edgar Allen Poe is, but my kids have no clue. :o I remember being in 3rd grade, around Halloween and the librarian read Poe and we watched a video. I had nightmares for weeks. Months maybe (it was the Tell-Tale Heart - {{shiver}}.

I read Poe again in middle school and maybe once in high school (when we studied his life and death).

I haven't even brought him up to my kids yet. I'm thinking 7th grade... I really think I could appreciate Poe more if he hadn't been sprung on me when I wasn't ready for that kind of material. :lol:

The Cask of Amontillado (sp??) still leaves me with an icky feeling when I think of it!

Oh YEAH--that's his best and creepiest story of all. LOVE it. My favorite poem of his is Annabel Lee. I just read that to my littles last week. But they already think I'm a freak, so it's all good.

DD and ds LOVE Poe. We read his poetry some and his stories, the kids love the spookiness of it, even at its most poignant.

Scariest: The Masque of Red Death

Favorite: The City by the Sea

Most reccomended: "The Philosophy of Composition" If you haven't read it, and you enjoy Poe, you'll love this, it may even give you a new angle to view his work from. If you don't like Poe, because he's too dark, you should read this and find out where he's coming from and what he hoped to achieve.