Menu

How Great is our God? (the song)

I'm wondering if you all are familiar with the song "How Great is Our God"?

I'm making a documentary on a young family-man from Kentucky who had a very serious stroke, and his church organized a benefit concert to help raise funds for his care.

One of the groups sang "How Great is Our God". I'd never heard it before (big surprise :tongue_smilie:) but they did a great spirit-filled version, and I found it quite touching.

I just wasn't sure is this was a "famous" song or not. The assembled church-goers all seemed to know it (and were singing along). So help me out and tell me what you know about this praise-song.

Bill

The splendor of a King, clothed in majesty

Let all the earth rejoice

All the earth rejoice

He wraps himself in Light, and darkness tries to hide

And trembles at His voice

Trembles at His voice

How great is our God, sing with me

How great is our God, and all will see

How great, how great is our God

Age to age He stands

And time is in His hands

Beginning and the end

Beginning and the end

The Godhead Three in One

Father Spirit Son

The Lion and the Lamb

The Lion and the Lamb

Name above all names

Worthy of our praise

My heart will sing

How great is our God

I never know when the posts around here or serious or not, but taking your question at face value, yes. We sing this song at our church and I really like it.

This time I'm serious. :001_smile:

Has this song been around a long time, or is it recent?

It is a good song.

Bill

This time I'm serious. :001_smile:

Has this song been around a long time, or is it recent?

It is a good song.

Bill

It is a good song. ;)

It's by Chris Tomlin and it has been out for awhile.

The first time I heard this song was the summer before last - dd12 (dd10 at the time) was in a music camp at our old church and the kids performed that song... everytime I hear it now, I still picture her sitting there at the drums (her chosen instrument for the camp) looking both terrified and excited to be performing music in public for the first time. :D

It *is* a very good song. :)

Is Chris Tomlin famous?

In the Christian community, I would say yes. Probably more people know his songs than his name. He has written quite a few songs that are popular in the worship genre.

In the Christian community, I would say yes. Probably more people know his songs than his name. He has written quite a few songs that are popular in the worship genre.

Is this called "Christian contemporary" or praise-music"? Or what genre would you call this?

The band who sing it in our film really did a wonderful version.

Bill

Probably not helpful, but it is one of my favorite "new" songs - and I'm pretty much a hymnal kinda girl. I'm not an emotional worshipper per se, but this one always had tears streaming down my cheeks. Especially last year, when my dh was unemployed.

I think part of its power is due to the fact that it focuses on who God is, not our own subjective experience. My .02!

Is this called "Christian contemporary" or praise-music"? Or what genre would you call this?

The band who sing it in our film really did a wonderful version.

Bill

*I* would consider it praise/worship, however it is played on the contemporary Christian radio stations. How's that for an answer? :tongue_smilie:

Probably not helpful, but it is one of my favorite "new" songs - and I'm pretty much a hymnal kinda girl. I'm not an emotional worshipper per se, but this one always had tears streaming down my cheeks. Especially last year, when my dh was unemployed.

I think part of its power is due to the fact that it focuses on who God is, not our own subjective experience. My .02!

Don't tell anyone, but the song...and watching friends and neighbors rallying around one of their own...brought a tear to my eye as well.

Bill

Christian contemporary being a broader category that encompasses anything that is Christian and..... contemporary.:D It would include praise and worship, along with others. I can think of some silly songs that would be Christian contemporary, but not praise (there's a song about cartoon characters praising that comes to mind.)

Christian contemporary being a broader category that encompasses anything that is Christian and..... contemporary.:D It would include praise and worship, along with others. I can think of some silly songs that would be Christian contemporary, but not praise (there's a song about cartoon characters praising that comes to mind.)

So if I wanted to be "hip-to-the-lingo" I'd go with "praise"?

Bill

The first time I heard this song was the summer before last - dd12 (dd10 at the time) was in a music camp at our old church and the kids performed that song... everytime I hear it now, I still picture her sitting there at the drums (her chosen instrument for the camp) looking both terrified and excited to be performing music in public for the first time. :D

It *is* a very good song. :)

eek! It's still in my old google video account! *grin* .... here ya go, an amateur presentation of that song. dd12 (10 then) is hard to see, cuz she's down front on ground level, not stage...sorta right between some heads, has a scarf around her neck, whacking drumsticks around.:D (Video quality kinda sucks, old camera then)

Edited by fivetails
typo

eek! It's still in my old google video account! *grin* .... here ya go, an amature presentation of that song. dd12 (10 then) is hard to see, cuz she's down front on ground level, not stage...sorta right between some heads, has a scarf around her neck, whacking drumsticks around.:D (Video quality kinda sucks, old camera then)

I want to thank you so much for posting this, what a delightful clip.:001_smile:

I'm liking this song!

Bill

I wanna be right. What say the rest?

"Praise" or "Praise and Worship"?

Bill

The Dove Awards (similar to the Grammy's; for Christian/inspirational/gospel music) has a category for Best Praise and Worship album. I guess that would be your technical answer.

And btw, Chris Tomlin won the Dove award for 2008 Best Male Vocalist; and this particular song won for Best Worship Song.

Another Chris Tomlin fan here. His website is http://www.christomlin.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Tomlin

He has written what I believe are many of today true contemporary hymns that will be sung for ages to come. Matt Redman and Tim Hughes fall into that category as well, IMO.

Paula.........who is a big fan of Louie Giglio too.

.....So help me out and tell me what you know about this praise-song.

-----

The Godhead Three in One

Father Spirit Son

The Lion and the Lamb

The Lion and the Lamb

----------

agreeing w/ others:

yes, familiar.

yes, it's famous.

I don't listen to much Christian radio and don't follow the singers, so No, I didn't know who the guy is.

yeah, I'd go w/ Praise and Worship, but comfortably call it a praise song and discreetly roll my eyes if anyone wanted to split hairs ;)

and the only thing I would be able to add to "tell [you] what know" is to keep in mind that there are a few Christians who do NOT believe in some of the doctrinal specifics of the Trinity, so they would NOT be singing that portion of the song.

i like the chorus more than the whole thing, but not enough to shed a tear. :D

nice colors btw!

LOL, yes, Bill. To be "hip to the lingo", I would say "Praise and Worship" also. But I'm in agreement with the other poster who said it's splitting hairs.

I just wanted to add, in case you need numbers or something, that I too, sing this song in my church. And yes, among Christians, Chris Tomlin is well known. I heard just recently that many of his songs will be added to updated hymnals. I found that to be an interesting tidbit - that hymnals are still popular enough to be updated. I love that!

I'm wondering if you all are familiar with the song "How Great is Our God"?

I'm making a documentary on a young family-man from Kentucky who had a very serious stroke, and his church organized a benefit concert to help raise funds for his care.

One of the groups sang "How Great is Our God". I'd never heard it before (big surprise :tongue_smilie:) but they did a great spirit-filled version, and I found it quite touching.

I just wasn't sure is this was a "famous" song or not. The assembled church-goers all seemed to know it (and were singing along). So help me out and tell me what you know about this praise-song.

Bill

The splendor of a King, clothed in majesty

Let all the earth rejoice

All the earth rejoice

He wraps himself in Light, and darkness tries to hide

And trembles at His voice

Trembles at His voice

Age to age He stands

And time is in His hands

Beginning and the end

Beginning and the end

The Godhead Three in One

Father Spirit Son

The Lion and the Lamb

The Lion and the Lamb

Name above all names

Worthy of our praise

My heart will sing

How great is our God

How great is our God, and all will se

Love this song! It's one of my favorite worship songs. The Chris Tomlin version is beautiful.

Don't tell anyone, but the song...and watching friends and neighbors rallying around one of their own...brought a tear to my eye as well.

Bill

I don't know the song, but I understand what you are saying. My mother was once without church (as I am), but when she remarried, she joined her dh's church (non denom with quite the Baptist flair). I've been to many a luncheon with her (at her request) and I am always touched by the music, and the rallying around of their needy.

The casserole organization when one is sick, or having a baby is something to behold as well.

Yes, even way out here in the BOONIES of central Texas.

The KICK is that when we started attending our current church we LOVED the main worship leader--and the 'Praise and Worship' part of the service. We were sad when he left to start his official music career!--Yes--Chris Tomlin!

Our church supported him in his college ministry and in turn he helped out with the music team.

This is one of my Favorite songs.

...several Bible verses, including:

Psalm 93:1

The LORD reigns, he is robed in majesty;

the LORD is robed in majesty

and is armed with strength.

The world is firmly established;

it cannot be moved.

Psalm 104:2

He wraps himself in light as with a garment;

he stretches out the heavens like a tent.

Yes, I'd also like to 2nd the Louie Giglio presentation, entitled How Great Is Our God. You can buy the dvd, or you can go to YouTube and watch it there. There are 5 parts, to the You Tube presentation. I would encourage any of you to take the time to watch it. It's just amazing. I can't speak highly enough of it. You'll be wanting your kids, friends, etc to see it. And, make sure you watch it all, there is an amazing ending to it. I just can't recommend this enough. It is well, life changing. Go to You Tube, search How Great Is Our God, Giglio, and then watch part 1,2,3,4,5. You won't regret it!

Edited by Mamaw