Menu

Womyn

Thanks, but I'll stick to "woman". It ties the two together, which is just fine with me. It symbolizes the fact that we are intrinsically part of one another, and that we actually *need* each other. Duh. (sorry - had to say that)

I don't feel any need to separate myself from "man".

A little early for pot stirring, dontcha think?

I will raise my hands in agreement with Lisa.

From your Wiki definition:

Feminists who prefer to use these words feel that the terms "woman/women" relate to the historical and ongoing social subordination of women, since the word "man" is seen as an exclusively male term, implying that women are a subset of men, or a deviation from the norm.

I think it's sad that a group of women who pride themselves on their individuality and strength would allow someone else to make them feel the need to invent new words to celebrate that individuality. No one can make you feel subordinate unless you let them.

I think it's sad that a group of women who pride themselves on their individuality and strength would allow someone else to make them feel the need to invent new words to celebrate that individuality. No one can make you feel subordinate unless you let them.

I'm seeing a lot of that paradox lately.

I thought this thread was about goofy words, not feminism?!

The wikipedia article is part of a series on Feminism, not goofy words. i figger the vagueness of the OP leaves it wide open for interpretation. Feel free to read it [or discard] w/ whatever bias you want ;)

is one of the most delightful things about the English Language.

Apart from anything political or social, I think terms like "womyn" are a lot of fun because with the change of one letter, you make an entirely new word that really really communicates something. Even if you don't agree with the agenda of the writer, how fun that that one change communicates SO MUCH about where the writer is coming from.

I thought this thread was about goofy words, not feminism?!

I'm guessing few people really thought it was about goofy words and not a defense for a post yesterday. It was nice for the first couple of responses to try and turn it into a more pleasant type of thread, but I think Elaine nailed the intent.

Edited by Jami

I will raise my hands in agreement with Lisa.

bingeau

Apart from anything political or social, I think terms like "womyn" are a lot of fun because with the change of one letter, you make an entirely new word that really really communicates something. Even if you don't agree with the agenda of the writer, how fun that that one change communicates SO MUCH about where the writer is coming from.

:iagree:

Where has all the humor gone? ;)

I'm now getting the feeling that there is a context to this that I am not aware of. Did you guys have some kind of argument last night about feminism when I was out having dinner with my family, living of the labor of my poor DH?

I was just responding on the face to say that I think the flexibility of the English language is a pleasure. Obviously we are going to have deep disagrements about feminism (and a million other things). I personally think it's sort of silly to object to the fact that "woman" derives from "man." I can't imagine using "womyn" myself, but I still find it delightful that someone who wants to convey a message about women and men, whether I like that message or not, can do so with the switch of a letter. That's all.

An old boyfriend used to tell me that women were the "woe of man". More accurately, I was the woe of him and he didn't have the guts to say it.:D Wonder where he is these days.....:lol:

The following is from http://tafkac.org/language/etymology/woman_etymology_of.html

"Old English wifmann, wimman; from WIFE+MAN(human being) In other words, at the time the word has been traced back to, man(n) referred to a person of either sex.

A Dictionary Of Euphemisms And Other Doubletalk, by Hugh Rawson, has this (among other things) to say about the word "woman":

"Woman" itself has a curious history, which may be of some consolation to female readers, since it shows that they are not, linguistically at least, derivatives of the other sex. "Woman," superficial appearance to the contrary, does not come from "man," but from the Old English "wif-mann," where "wif" meant "female" and "mann" meant a human being of either sex. As late as 1752, the philosopher David Hume could use "man" in the original sense, when contending that "...there is in all men, both male and female, a desire and power of generation more active than is ever universally exerted." What happened as the language evolved, of course, was that males gradually arrogated the generic "mann" to themselves, while the old word for female, "wif," was diminished into wife, [...] Today, some men still insist that when they use "man" in such constructions as "The proper study of Mankind is Man," or "Man is a tool-making animal," they do not intend to imply that their sex is the superior, but they are fighting the tide of our time.

But then what can you do with a philosophy which believes changing the spelling of a word (womyn/womin/wimmin, they can't even agree on that) is a significant act? Or that Ms should be pronounced Mz (as in miserable) and not be an abbreviation for anything at all? (Why not just eliminate the use of Mrs and use Ms, pronounced Miss, as the logical counterpart to Mr?)

Anyway, all the capable, independent, intelligent, competent women I know (and that's almost all of them) have far better things to do with their lives than indulge in these inane academic parlour games."

Channeling my inner "Ainsley Hayes" (the Republican lawyer from the West Wing - the "anti-me"), I have to say that we already have a perfectly good word, "woman", that differentiates me from my male counterparts, and I see no reason to add another in order to also phonetically underscore the point.

(Plus, I do not believe one achieves equality by counter-subjugating one's "oppressor".)

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

This is funnier than funny. The OP has banned.

What poetic justice!:lol:

I don't find it funny at all.

I find this a very sad & frankly, bizzarre aspect of this board.

I respect the decisions because I truly do understand who owns it & why. I do. I get it.

But I still think it looks insane if you show it to an outsider: look, here is a board of WTM homeschoolers, probably the most rigorous homeschoolers out there, committed to intellectual and academic pursuit. And look, they're discussing GOWNS.

But you can't stifle politics; it makes its way anyway into everything - even notes left by children left for other children, by the very careful, deliberate use of words like "elegant" and "classy".

The very language we use, our very word choices betray the subtexts. I think the politics are there, just wiggling around under the carpet.

Oh & I sometimes use womyn though I don't think I've ever used womon - mostly because for that one I can't remember which vowel we're supposed to change and to what......

But then I'm also a feminist.

But I still think it looks insane if you show it to an outsider: look, here is a board of WTM homeschoolers, probably the most rigorous homeschoolers out there, committed to intellectual and academic pursuit. And look, they're discussing GOWNS.

But you can't stifle politics; it makes its way anyway into everything - even notes left by children left for other children, by the very careful, deliberate use of words like "elegant" and "classy".

The very language we use, our very word choices betray the subtexts. I think the politics are there, just wiggling around under the carpet.

quote]

very much an "us against them" quality in the subtext of many posts here. Inclusive on the face of the waters, exclusionary in the murky not-so-deep depths.

Edited by MeanestMomInMidwest

very much an "us against them" quality in the subtext of many posts here. Inclusive on the face of the waters, exclusionary in the murky not-so-deep depths.

I think this is just a sampling of the overall feelings many have in the real world. It often leaves me feeling very much alone.

I wouldn't have a problem with this post *at all* if it was accompanied by a thoughtful discussion of etymology and a defense for choosing one version of the word over another. However, posting this short and unexplained post seemed like she was just trying to "stir the pot" as Elaine said. (And we have no idea if this post is what caused her banishment...could have been something else entirely.)

and I see no reason to add another in order to also phonetically underscore the point.

(Plus, I do not believe one achieves equality by counter-subjugating one's "oppressor".)

On a tangent -- like the need for texts, etc., now to use the BCE,CE designations rather than the classic BC,AD due to their religious affiliations -- ignoring the fact that they're all based on the same time reference regardless of what you name them (ABC,XYZ!). Doesn't change what they are or their value.

:001_huh:

(completely ignoring whatever bizarre thing I missed yesterday that is apparently casting its funky shadow over things)

I made a face when I first read this quote because I hate change - why mess with a good thing? But then I remembered how much I love the word "ginormous". It makes me smile, even if spell check doesn't recognize it.

That's just ridiculous. That letter was absolutely classy and elegant--no matter who you voted for. I sure didn't post it for any other reason than to share the sweetness of it. You are definitely makingamountainoutofamolehill.

I respect the decisions because I truly do understand who owns it & why. I do. I get it.

Oh & I sometimes use womyn though I don't think I've ever used womon - mostly because for that one I can't remember which vowel we're supposed to change and to what......

But then I'm also a feminist.

Be that as it may, I still think it's funny.:lol:

I don't think this was pot-stirring.

As long as she has posted on these boards, Karen has used that spelling. Yesterday her spelling was called into question (by you, right? With the womAn post?), and this seems to be a concise explaination of her reasoning.

As long as she has posted on these boards, Karen has used that spelling. Yesterday her spelling was called into question (by you, right? With the womAn post?), and this seems to be a concise explaination of her reasoning.

Thank you for the background. I think it was needed.

I had noticed her spelling "womyn" before and never thought much of it, other than noting that it was consistent and, therefore, not likely a typo. I thought today's post was just an explanation, perhaps in response to a question (I guess I missed the post you're referring to) until I noticed the underlying snark in other posts.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the pot-stirring issue. If her intention was as you described then I stand corrected, but I don't think that it was. If I had something to say, something that was important to me, I would not just post a Wiki link and. I would expound on that something with a thoughful post, not do the equivalent of tossing a grenade into the room just to watch it go off.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the pot-stirring issue.

Yes. We'll have to do that. :)

not do the equivalent of tossing a grenade into the room just to watch it go off.

I'm not sure I understand the comparison.

She posted a link with an explanation of a unique spelling. Probably so folks who were discussing the word origins yesterday knew where she was coming from. How is that 'tossing a grenade'?

Do you find the alternate spelling offensive?

do a search --you can find plenty of posts where she types it as woman/ women.

Anyone who has ever crafted a gown themselves would get why its not senseless to discuss it any more than it is senseless to discuss architecture or painting.

But then, I read fashion magazines and I never use the word 'womyn'.

do a search --you can find plenty of posts where she types it as woman/ women.

And mixed in with those posts, as far back as I can remember (to the old board as well) she has used the spelling womyn. She has also used the alternate spelling on other homeschooling boards.