Menu

When we give or children food we "feed" them. When we give the "drink" we?

I'm stumped. I feed (or fed) my child a sandwich. Do we "feed" them milk, or water? Or do we?

I suppose we could arguably say "hydrate" but it seems wrong for such a common (and life-requiring) everyday function of our lives. Is seems like there shold be a word for this but I'm at a loss.

Have I gone brain-dead? :tongue_smilie:

Help me out. What's the word? Hive-mind come to my rescue!

Bill

ETA: Two typos in the un-editable part...maybe I really am brain-dead???

I don't think there is a verb for that.

'quench their thirst' is the only thing I can think of.....

With animals we 'feed and water' & I tend to say that about kids & guests as well :D

I'd say that I fed the kids and gave them a drink.

Yea. I "gave" him a drink. That's what I'd say.

How weird is it that we don't have a verb for this???

More than half my life has likely passed, so I'm glad I finally caught this "problem" :D

Bill

With animals we 'feed and water' & I tend to say that about kids & guests as well :D

Yup. The kids feed and water the pets, and I feed and water the kids. Even if it's usually milk. :tongue_smilie:

This is actually something I've thought about in the past. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who sits and ponders these things!

Actually, I think it's just "feed", under the "to provide with sustenance" or "provide for consumption" definitions.

If you provide good food and drink, then you can use "regale".

With animals we 'feed and water' & I tend to say that about kids & guests as well

That's what we do, here, too.

We sate them? They are sated? We sate their thirst?

Oh, well, I said it was a long shot...

Or we could slake their thirst. But we couldn't "slake" them some water, right?

I thought we were supposed to have the richest vocabulary of any language? This seems like a major lapse.

Bill (who hope's this question is diving you [all] as crazy as it's making me :D)

I would say hydrate! That's the first word that popped into my mind when I read the title of your thread, before I read any comments! :)

We use hydrate frequently. I used to laugh when my son was really young and he'd say: Daddy, I need to get hydrated

Now (at 4.5) it seems "normal". But still. It's weird this is our best choice.

I hydrated my guests, while my wife prepared dinner?

Does that work? Not really, no?

Bill

Ok, for those of us in the frozen tundra I can see how we could get onto a subject as this and run with it for ever, keeping us entertained. But ( in jest) you need to get out more.:lol:

We have a small hobby farm in WI, so we tend to say feed & water the animals and the kids. sometimes we just soak them w/ the hose (of course we'll wait until its a bit warmer).

I hope you have more of these to ponder. they are fun.

We have a small hobby farm in WI....

I've never tried "hobby"...does it taste like chicken? :tongue_smilie:

No one will believe this story (I wouldn't) but the 4.5 year-old just arrived home toting a bottle of water, and announced:

I needed to get hydrated so Mommy bought me a bottle of nice spring-water

Bill

This is why I only give mine water. That way I can feed and water them!

I'm always saying, Let's get the kids fed and watered, or I fed and watered the boys.

Slake is such a marvelous word. Too bad it doesn't work. I fed and slaked the children sounds almost violent. But it reminded me of "ruthless" for some reason. You always hear about people being ruthless, but no one is ever ruth. Spell check doesn't even like it, because it wants ruth to be a proper noun with a capital "r" - how do you like that?

I think you should stick to hydrate.

I'm stumped. I feed (or fed) my child a sandwich. Do we "feed" them milk, or water? Or do we?

I suppose we could arguably say "hydrate" but it seems wrong for such a common (and life-requiring) everyday function of our lives. Is seems like there shold be a word for this but I'm at a loss.

Have I gone brain-dead? :tongue_smilie:

Help me out. What's the word? Hive-mind come to my rescue!

Bill

ETA: Two typos in the un-editable part...maybe I really am brain-dead???

We "wet our whistles". Here's how it goes..."Mom, I'm thirsty." "Ok, let me get you something to wet yo0ur whistle." Ok, this may be a southern thing!!

I'm always saying, Let's get the kids fed and watered, or I fed and watered the boys.

Slake is such a marvelous word. Too bad it doesn't work. I fed and slaked the children sounds almost violent. But it reminded me of "ruthless" for some reason. You always hear about people being ruthless, but no one is ever ruth. Spell check doesn't even like it, because it wants ruth to be a proper noun with a capital "r" - how do you like that?

I think you should stick to hydrate.

That reminds me of something I thought about earlier today. We say inept, do we say ept for someone capable? Ept gets a red underline from spell check so I suppose it isn't a word.

I checked a couple online thesaurus' for the word "hydrate." There is no other word for it.

What about quench?

I just love you guys! I LOVE discussions like this about words. Poor dh, his eyes just glaze over when I get going on topics like this! I have nothing helpful to add, just wanted to let you all know how much I've enjoyed reading this.

Oh, and that I'm going to try to incorporate "odds my bodkins!" into my vocabulary. Anyone else want to join me?

“Odds my bodkins, A beanstalk. And all the way up to the sky, too.â€

But you couldn't say:

I quenched the kids.

I quenched their thirst works, but it's not really an analogue of "fed," do you think?

This seems so basic, but........

No, probably not. Reading it that way makes me think that you got the kids wet.

We should come up with our own verb and start popularizing it.

We "wet our whistles". Here's how it goes..."Mom, I'm thirsty." "Ok, let me get you something to wet yo0ur whistle." Ok, this may be a southern thing!!

Shoot! I always thought it was "wHet your whistle" not "wet." Though "wet" seems perfectly perfect. It is, after all, what you're doing with that whistle.

Wet your whistle reminds me of the expression, "you're a sight for sore eyes." I bet they were both used on the Waltons or something.

That reminds me of something I thought about earlier today. We say inept, do we say ept for someone capable? Ept gets a red underline from spell check so I suppose it isn't a word.

I checked a couple online thesaurus' for the word "hydrate." There is no other word for it.

What about quench?

I think "apt" might be close to an antonym for inept. They both have to do with "fitness" or "aptitude" or lack thereof.

Okay, so let me get this straight, your post title asks "if we give food we feed, if we give drink we____"

Well "food" is a noun, and the verb is "feed". "Drink" on the other hand is a verb, not a noun. So I don't think your comparing apples to apples so to speak. So, in that line of thought I don't think there's an answer. If that doesn't make sense then I blame it on the second glass of red wine sitting next me, in which case the answer is "I drunk", but I really don't think that's the case, I think it's a trick question. :D

Hey. This noun / verb thing got me to thinking. These days, people are always taking perfectly respectable nouns and making them into verbs: journal, for instance. "I'll journal around this problem and see if I can come to some resolution." I personally hate it. But what about "beverage?" We could feed our children and beverage them! Yeah. That's it!

Nicole, who hasn't even had one glass of wine tonight!