Menu

Prednisone. Is it awful?

My daughter has taken it twice for horrible poison ivy. I didn't even read the side effects the first time - and the second time, her poison ivy was SO horrible and we were on vacation, so it was either give her the meds or she would have been in misery while everyone else was having fun at the beach/Disney World/ etc.

I'm already looking up every type of home remedy I can muster so that the next time she has poison ivy (and she will - she doesn't even have to touch the stuff) she doesn't have to take the prednisone. I'm afraid taking it more than two times will increase the chance of adverse reactions, yk?

With all that said - she suffered zero ill effects while taking it both times and it worked extremely well!

eta: My dd was only on it for 5 or 7 days or something. Not long-term. :)

Edited by orangearrow

My dd was on it.

It was awful, but she was on it for some very serious reasons.

Her appetite went uncontrollable and through the roof. She gained many pounds at an awful time for young women to gain weight.

Sleeping was also an issue, but her Dad and I were divorcing and she had recently been diagnosed with JRA, so the sleep issue is hard to pinpoint.

My ds6 has been on it for his arthritis and he was recently on it for croup. It makes him a bit spunkier, but it's hard to tell if it's the meds or the fact he's feeling good. He's never had the common negative reactions to it (he doesn't eat more and he doesn't get mean).

Prednisone short term (like a 12 day course) is not bad. It's when you have to do it for months at high doses that it is really awful.

I took prednisone (I don't remember what dose) for about 10-12 days and didn't notice anything at all. My father had to take a very high dose for many months and he was really messed up by the end.

It made me nuts and fat. Whatever it was supposed to do, it did so it is a good medicine. 12 days is no big deal, it is when you have to be on it for a while.

The mood swing stuff can be like uncontrollable crying or flat out 'roid rage. And the hunger thing is crazy. You stuff and stuff yourself but you are still hungry.

Edited by LG Gone Wild

I agree with the other posters concerning the most annoying side effects being from longer term usage than what you are talking about. When my daughter has had to take it she tends to get a bit shaky. However, she usually is taking it in combination with other lung medication so it's possible it is the combination. But as other posters have said, without the Prednisone she would have been a much, much sicker child so the side effects were a small price to pay.

I hope you are feeling better very soon.

Heather

I've been on short courses twice.

The first time, in my 30s, I had insomnia and felt extremely energized. I was too hyper to concentrate, however, so I didn't actually get anything done. I think I lost a few pounds because I was so hyper.

The second time, 5+ years later, I felt a little more awake than usual, but that was it. I think my thyroid was already slowing down.

Both my sons were on it for long periods of time at very high dosage. I am talking a year or longer with a break and then another year. My oldest son did not gain weight and his sleep improved with it. He did tho get dark circles under his eyes. He did a 100mg a day for 8 weeks and then did 80 mg every third day for a year before tapering off. He was 6 when we started with the first round. He was also on another med and had to have blood work done every 6 weeks to make sure the other med was not hurting his liver and that it were at high enough levels.

Younger son was on it only once for a long period. He did gain weight but again I am talking a years length of time not a few days. Like our older son he was on Depakote and had to have blood work done every 6 weeks. Both boys were monitored very carefully and closely by our Ped. Neurologist

Prednisone worked wonders for our family! I saw gains within a couple of doses. Although the entire time my boys were on it I held my breath praying and hoping they would not run into any bad side effect. Thankfully they did not. It was hard to get them to take it because it leaves a bitter metallic taste.

That's short term, you're okay. I never gained weight on it. My cousin once asked me if it didn't make me nuts like it did her, but I just answered "No." At which my family rolled around on the ground laughing their butts off.

I still say it didn't, you can't go somewhere you already are.

Guest sarathan

Usually the problems are when someone is on it for an extended period of time. I woulnd't worry at all about a 12 day burst. I've taken it before and ended up totally fine. :)

My oldest dd has used it for asthma, and it messed up her moods. Thankfully, her asthma is not severe enough that she's had to use it for long periods of time.

My dh has to use it for poison ivy because he has such severe reactions to it. He can't sleep while he's on it, but he doesn't have any energy to do anything, so he ends up very cranky and miserable.

I don't remember any side effects at all. It was certainly better than having hives! I made three trips to the emergency room in one weekend because I kept breaking out in hives. I went through various blood tests, but never figured out why I kept breaking out. I took the prednisone and the hives stopped.

Thank you all for sharing your (and your children's) experiences. I am relieved to know that I am taking a smallish dose (starting at just 40mg) and for a relatively short period of time. I'll not worry so much about the side effects.

I've not heard of Prednisone. Why is typically prescribed? I hope whatever is wrong, you feel better soon, Crissy. When are you slated to go to D.C.?

It seems that it is prescribed for a variety of ailments. In my case we are trying to control the inflammation in my hips and the herniated disk in my lower back that are causing a great deal of pain.

We are leaving on Monday for D.C. and I have been concerned about the amount of walking we will be doing and how I will manage the resulting pain and weakness in my legs. I will also be taking a prescription called Gabapentin, a medication that will help with the nerve pain from the disc issue.

My kitchen counter is starting to look like a pharmacy shelf. :001_huh:

I'm trying to remember that compared to so many, my problem is so small. Maybe I should tattoo that on the back of my hand so I see it often. :D

If you decide you don't want it, I'll take it. LOL Seriously, I can't take any more for a while. I was on a relatively low dose for most of a two year period. By the end my left kidney felt like I had a kidney infection, but test always come back negative. I decide to get off it for a while to let my body recover.

The only other side effect I had was a large craving for carbs. I didn't have any more than normal sleep problems.

DH has taken it periodically for back pain, and always does fine. He feels like he always has maybe a little more energy, but that's it.

I've taken it for bad bronchitis because I also have asthma, and I've never noticed anything other than being able to breathe better after a few days.

My oldest has taken it twice for bad poison ivy outbreaks, and he feels that it gives him more energy too.

A single course generally is problem-free. A friend of mine took for four months because of multiple spinal tumors and surgeries, and she has long-term problems. It probably saved her neurologically though.

I am to start a tapered 12-day course today. The list of side effects is frightening.

Anyone here with experience?

:001_huh:

A 12-day course is not awful. Two years is awful. Wretched. Horrid. But 12 days? Nah. You should be fine.

I was only on it for 2 years, and it felt like an eternity. I felt better physically but the darkness! Blackness!!! Depression!!!!! Not to mention the facial hair :ack2: I was startin' to look like Elvis (although my mother tells me it was more Engelbert Humperdinck'ish). Then there was the black hair sprouting on my knuckles....

Sorry. Bad memories.

You may have a bit of swelling/puffiness in your face, but it shouldn't be too bad if it's only for 12 days. I assume the dose tapers down as you go?

Predisone is awful. I wouldn't be too concerned with a 12-day taper though. Weight gain and mood issues have been an issue everytime I've been on the prednisone, but I have Lupus so I'm usually on it for months at a ridiculously high dose.

HTH,

Andrea

See, I should've read through the other responses before I posted.

Ditto every word that Andrea said (except I've never been on for a few months. My worst flare up lasted 2 years, and I haven't been back on it since. I refuse to ever go on it again -- unless it was a matter of life or death.).

You may have a bit of swelling/puffiness in your face, but it shouldn't be too bad if it's only for 12 days. I assume the dose tapers down as you go?

That is right. I'm only on 40mg for three days. Then I reduce the dosage by 10mg every three days for the remaining nine days.

40 mg is pretty high, but if it's only 3 days, the swelling/puffiness will appear then start to go away as soon as you taper down (if it happens at all).

:grouphug: not sure what's going on that you have to take it, but I pray the prednisone helps and the side effects will be minimal!

Ds and I have both had to take it, and neither of us have had problems. Yes, the side effects list is daunting, but it's also an amazing drug *if* you need it. A 12 day course is actually considered pretty safe and is unlikely to cause major side effects (though it's certainly good to be aware and vigilant!)... Ds has done fine with a couple of short courses (due to major allergic reactions or asthma). I had to be on it for about 6 months when I was in my late teens, and I was horrified at the potential side-effects, but truly didn't notice *any* of them (nor did dh), and it was a blessed relief from the symptoms I was having at the time.

Anyway, absolutely not a drug to take lightly, but my personal experience was that it was incredibly helpful.

All that said, a friend's daughter was on it for a couple of months when she was seven, and the normally mild-mannered, obedient child became snarly with her parents and outright violent with her brother. But it kept her out of the hospital (severe asthma), and her personality and behavior returned to normal when they were able to taper her off.

I am to start a tapered 12-day course today. The list of side effects is frightening.

Anyone here with experience?

Most people tolerate a short course very well, and are delighted as pigs in mud it is so effective. I have had people get "high" on the large doses, much commoner than dysphoria. A short course is very safe and has helped many people live through asthma.

for a 7-10 day period and suffered insomnia and excessive eating. It was frustrating!!!!! I ended up stopping the meds (bad me :) and the rash got worse so I went back on it on a lower dose and I was able to clear the rash.

The next time I got the severe poison ivy rash I specifically requested the smallest dose and I was able to tolerate it much better.

I pretty much refuse to do yard work anymore :).

All that being said, I hate the effects but it worked wonderfully well.