Menu

No fluoride in our water. How to get it in the kid's diets?

I know there is controversy about fluoride, and I know too much of it can be detrimental (I've seen the pictures). But, I also believe that some systemic fluoride is beneficial to tooth development (especially as permanent teeth are developing), and we don't get any in our well water. Dd is 3yo, and the dentist wants us to buy fluoridated water for her to drink.

Where do you buy fluoridated water? Or, would fluoride drops be a better option? Or, is there another option I'm not familiar with? Perhaps I could just let her swallow a tiny bit of toothpaste each day?

Are there any balanced sources of information regarding how much is beneficial, and how much is too much? I'm not interested in inflammatory, sensationalized, bold-faced, ALL-CAPS articles shouting at me. I just want objective, balanced information, please.

Thanks,

Suzanne

I'd be SO happy to not have fluoride in our water! If I wanted my child to have flouride, I'd use it in his toothpaste and have it at check-ups. That's more....more....more...than enough. Do you have a pediatric dentist? I don't have a huge problem with my child having it on their teeth, but I consider it poison for their body.....I can't afford a whole water purifier right now, but one of the hugest things I was upset about our fridge water was the first purifiers for it filtered out fluoride and then the "improved" ones...don't.

Carrie:-)

My understanding is that it is not the flouride intake that decreases cavities in kids who drink flouridated water but the constant low level exposure of the surfaces of the teeth to flouride in the water. My dentist actually told me that flouride varnish treatments are now recommended over oral intake of flouride such as once daily drops in small children.

Here is an article that discusses flouride use:

http://www.pediatriccareonline.org/pco/ub/view/AAP-Textbook-of-Pediatric-Care/394033/2.0/chapter_33:_prevention_of_dental_caries

So to answer your specific question, you can buy flouridated water from water delivery services such as Culligan.

If your dentist does flouride treatments at your child's visits I would ask him or her if they are using flouride varnish and, if not, have they looked into flouride varnish?

I don't know where you could buy flouridated water. Maybe someone in the dentist's office would know? I wouldn't let her swallow toothpaste. If the dentist recommended the water, it must be available somewhere.

They say flouridated water has helped. I don't know how accurate that statement is. I grew up on flouride from toothpaste and check-ups only, and had no cavities.

I would prefer they not put it in my water, esp. since it's so hard to find filters that take it out. I read our water quality report, and the amount of flouride (can't remember now) was higher than other municipalities around me.

I know there is controversy about fluoride, and I know too much of it can be detrimental (I've seen the pictures). But, I also believe that some systemic fluoride is beneficial to tooth development (especially as permanent teeth are developing), and we don't get any in our well water. Dd is 3yo, and the dentist wants us to buy fluoridated water for her to drink.

Where do you buy fluoridated water? Or, would fluoride drops be a better option? Or, is there another option I'm not familiar with? Perhaps I could just let her swallow a tiny bit of toothpaste each day?

Are there any balanced sources of information regarding how much is beneficial, and how much is too much? I'm not interested in inflammatory, sensationalized, bold-faced, ALL-CAPS articles shouting at me. I just want objective, balanced information, please.

Thanks,

Suzanne

Well, I don't know of a good supplement, but I'll tell you my fluoride story. I have four children. The first 3 have never had a cavity. They are 11, 13 & 15, and have never had a cavity. Then along comes kid number four. I took her for her annual dental check-up, and she had four cavities! It cost me over $300 to get them filled (dd wanted white fillings because she was feeling embarrassed). They also showed me two other cavities that were developing. I asked the dentist why he thought her teeth were worse. He told me that our city had stopped putting fluoride in the drinking water. I know that there are fluoride related health issues that are more important than teeth, but I thought I'd share our experience.

Lori

You can buy floridated water at the supermarket, many people call it baby water, formula water or nursery water. It is sold to mix with infant formula and it has flouride in it. I was using it for our infant until I realized it had flouride added; we recently switched to distilled water for mixing our baby's formula. HTH.

none of my children have ever had any more or less fluoride than the others (as little as we possibly can - no drops ever, none in our toothpaste, etc). I have 4 kids. The oldest has one filling. #2 has had zero cavities EVER. #3 has had about 5 cavities (though not all in her permanent teeth) and #4 has had NO cavities EVER. My kids are 19, 17, 15 and 13. Go figure. I think she just inherited the bad teeth genes that the other kids managed to avoid.

I think cancer is worse than cavities and the question of fluoride causing cancer (even in small amounts) is enough to keep me from using it. I certainly wouldn't give it to a small child intentionally.

use vs. don't use fluoride, there is an alarming difference. We are all organic here, no preservatives, almost completely natural whole food diet, etc., but I've researched it thoroughly and chose to use fluoride pills (they do make them in a dye-free version, and it does come as generic, so I would suggest that.)

Our new dentist (other one retired) just switched to fluoride varnish, so I'd better check to make sure the pills aren't overdoing it, after reading the above thread about the varnish!

BTW: no cavities in either kid except a tiny one in ds5. Dh's family has a history of horrible teeth, soft teeth, which is part of the reason for my decision.

ETA: we don't have fluoride in our water, which is why we use the pills. I grew up on fluoridated water and neither my sister nor I had a single cavity until maybe a couple in our late teens.

Edited by HappyGrace

For fluoridated water look in the baby aisle.

From what I researched years ago, fluoride is more dangerous when taken in water form though. The fluoride and water somehow bind together and create bad "chemicals". We have always used fluoride pills. One dentist told me that the fluoride in pills is different than the fluoride in toothpaste, but then another dentist in the same practice, gave me prescription toothpaste, with extra fluoride and told me to let them swallow the spit. Another dentist told me to give them a bottle of reconstituted juice, every day. One told me that it just plain didn't matter if I did nothing. Even the dentists don't seem to be able to agree!

For fluoridated water look in the baby aisle.

From what I researched years ago, fluoride is more dangerous when taken in water form though. The fluoride and water somehow bind together and create bad "chemicals". We have always used fluoride pills. One dentist told me that the fluoride in pills is different than the fluoride in toothpaste, but then another dentist in the same practice, gave me prescription toothpaste, with extra fluoride and told me to let them swallow the spit. Another dentist told me to give them a bottle of reconstituted juice, every day. One told me that it just plain didn't matter if I did nothing. Even the dentists don't seem to be able to agree!

That's the truth. It can be confusing when diff dentists tell you diff things. :blink:

ACT fluoride rinse! Just use it after brushing.

We also have well water and were anti-fluoride. Our dd10 inherited dh's bad teeth and had several cavities. We went back to fluoridated paste and started the ACT and she hasn't had one since - this is going on several years now.

My dc were both put on oral fluoride liquid drops by pediatrician. Our dentist found out about this and said no, no, no. He said the ingesting is not effective and can be detrimental, it's the topical exposure on the teeth that you want - at least that was his opinion which he claims is backed by the American Dental Assoc. He recommended fluoride rinses.

My dc were both put on oral fluoride liquid drops by pediatrician. Our dentist found out about this and said no, no, no. He said the ingesting is not effective and can be detrimental, it's the topical exposure on the teeth that you want - at least that was his opinion which he claims is backed by the American Dental Assoc. He recommended fluoride rinses.

I agree with this thought.

If I were going to dabble in it - I'd do topical.

One thing to note - in my research I have found some theories suggesting that while fluoride may decrease cavities, it causes teeth to become so hard that they are brittle and crack later in life. It can also make your bones brittle.

If anything - please research THE SOURCE of the fluoride you want to give.

Is it a waste product from the production of chemical fertilizers or aluminum? Is it from the earth directly?

Fluorine is ALWAYS bound to something. Here are some types of it:

CALCIUM FLUORIDE

HYDROFLUOSILICIC ACID

POTASSIUM FLUORIDE

SODIUM FLUORIDE

SODIUM SILICOFLUORIDE

If you drink well water, please have your water tested for fluoride content before adding any more to their diet. 25 years ago we asked our dentist about giving our children fluoride supplements since we used well water. He said we had to test our water first. Our all natural, God given, well water comes with 50% more fluoride than the level put in most city water. He said that level was not dangerous, but we definitely should not and did not supplement fluoride.

Obviously water in different areas of the country contain different elements and at different levels. But it is a very good idea to test your well water periodically anyway.

BTW, our first child had almost perfect teeth until he got a job and started buying junk food/drink all the time. Our second child had fillings in her baby teeth, she inherited teeth that did not have good enamel.

If you drink well water, please have your water tested for fluoride content before adding any more to their diet. 25 years ago we asked our dentist about giving our children fluoride supplements since we used well water. He said we had to test our water first. Our all natural, God given, well water comes with 50% more fluoride than the level put in most city water. He said that level was not dangerous, but we definitely should not and did not supplement fluoride.

Obviously water in different areas of the country contain different elements and at different levels. But it is a very good idea to test your well water periodically anyway.

BTW, our first child had almost perfect teeth until he got a job and started buying junk food/drink all the time. Our second child had fillings in her baby teeth, she inherited teeth that did not have good enamel.

:iagree: I looked it up after this thread started, and you'll find flouride in water anyway, from what I read. Water content is different in different areas. Get your water tested because it might naturally contain a good amount.

I read an article that dates have elemental flourine and can actually reverse early tooth decay. Of course, they have natural sugar and some products in the store add sugar, so you'd have to be careful about that.

Green tea has flouride too. That's one reason why some people object to it. I don't know what it would do for tooth decay because I only drink it in moderation. Just an fyi.

Wow! Thanks for all the information! I've read everything, and it was informative. Our dentist does do a fluoride treatment every visit, but I've never heard them call it "varnish". Is that different from the gel, or is it just another name for it? I'll ask next month when I go in for my cleaning.

I'm going to start by getting our well water tested. It hadn't occurred to me that there might be naturally present fluoride in our mountain well water.

My understanding is that it is not the flouride intake that decreases cavities in kids who drink flouridated water but the constant low level exposure of the surfaces of the teeth to flouride in the water. My dentist actually told me that flouride varnish treatments are now recommended over oral intake of flouride such as once daily drops in small children.

Here is an article that discusses flouride use:

http://www.pediatriccareonline.org/pco/ub/view/AAP-Textbook-of-Pediatric-Care/394033/2.0/chapter_33:_prevention_of_dental_caries

So to answer your specific question, you can buy flouridated water from water delivery services such as Culligan.

If your dentist does flouride treatments at your child's visits I would ask him or her if they are using flouride varnish and, if not, have they looked into flouride varnish?

The last ped. dentist used a varnish on the kids teeth. They all turned greyish. So we avoid flouride at all cost. We have avoided flouride for the last 3 years. Their teeth is looking alot better.

Holly

Flouride varnish has only become commercially available for routine cavities prevention in the US in the last 2 years. It may be that your children received an older product. My son gets it every 6 months and he has no discoloration of his teeth. The product may be yellowish when applied- this is to help the dental technician see where it is applied but this does not last.

http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/topics/science_fluoride_varnish.asp

Susan

I didn't know until recently that flouride is bad for the thyroid gland. Every adult woman on my father's side of the family tree has thyroid disease (myself included). If I had known earlier I would have never given our eldest children the oral supplements :( The topical flouride applied directly to the teeth has the least risk to their thyroid and bones....ironically, flouride weakens bones and strengthens teeth. What good will it do use if our beautiful cavity-free teeth have their roots in weak jaws??? grrrr!

One more thought when researching the Internet and pro/con fluoride. Independent studies... I mean TRULY independent. Stats can be "doctored" according to who's behind the study and what their agenda is.

Great post, I've learned a lot! I go back and forth on the whole fluoride thing, but for now we do a varnish treatment once a year. No fluoride in water (unless it's naturally occuring) or toothpaste. But we all have good genetics on our side, too. I have a friend whose daughters teeth are a MESS...but that runs in the family.....

It's hard to know what to do. Trust your gut, do your best and leave the worry and guilt behind!

We drink/use pure well water that contains no fluoride additives ~ thank goodness. If we were tapping into the city water, which had fluoride added, I'd opt out and buy our own water. Why? Because I'm adamently opposed to fluoridating water. Our well water already contains a trace of natural fluoride and that's sufficient, as far as I'm concerned. (This is purely anecdotal, but none my guys, who have no other added fluoride ~ not even in toothpaste ~ have never had a cavity. Actually, they don't even have their teeth cleaned regularly yet their teeth are in great condition. Much is of course dependent on other factors...such as drinking raw milk, which I believe contributes to their excellent health.) If I felt moved to include more fluoride to their lives, I'd do so in the form of a rinse.

I'd look at a rinse/mouthwash product before encouraging swallowing toothpaste. I use ACT as well. I was using something else that was quite a bit pricier, a bit too expensive for me. My dentist recommended I beef up my dental routine.

I too recently read about dates. You can buy plain dried dates without sugar; there are excellent medjool dates grown in California that are totally delicious.

I just thought I would second the plug for natural sources. Plants have a way of taking "bad" minerals and making them usable. Dates and green tea would be far better sources than water thats been tinkered with.

That said, I pay huge $$$ to take the flouride out of our water and then add in only that which is spit out.

I have had heard that inorganic, or non plant sourced flouride calcifies the pineal gland (as do things like Paxil and Zoloft) because they have flouride components. That accounts much for the dopey feeling they can cause. Natural floride is easier for the body to flush out excess. I was on Paxil fo post partum and hated every minute--hence my obsessive research on flouride.

I would try to get the flouride that has been filtered through a plant or the spit out kind.

We had well water all my years growing up and I did not get a cavity until I was 32.

I'm glad to see people having an open dialog. So many go through life without even asking questions like this.:001_smile: