Menu

I've been reading the WTM boards almost daily for 20 years!

Hannah

I heard Gene Vieth speaking at a homeschool convention and he was promoting the first edition of TWTM, which I bought imediately! That led me to these boards where I have mostly been Laurel in CA but on the Sonlight boards (where I started in '96, homeschooling my oldest) I was Gilead. I do remember vegesource, did a lot of used book hunting there! I gradually tweaked my Sonlight to be more WTM and then began braving latin, trying a lot of different classical resources along the way. I went back to work remotely during my youngest's senior year of high school, 2020, which she spent online at the CC. That really cut down on my board time! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hannah said:

Do you remember Kay?  She passed away in about 2013/14.  She used the username Kalanamak and her last signature was “Professional bedlam tamer. Family: SAHD and 10 y/o boy”.  She posted daily and referred to her son as kiddo.

In a re-introduction she wrote:

I'm Kay in WA and I was a literature fanatic and passionate cook prior to having a menopause baby with a near-stranger when it was clear I was never going to re-win my beloved ex's heart.
By day I'm an internist who works with the severely mentally ill, by evening I homeschool a tall, bouncy, quirky* budding nurse, all the while thinking that near-stranger is stranger than I could have guessed.

I remember her talking about the skills she picked up over the years that helped her to work with the severely mentally ill. I found it fascinating. Kind of like it was all in divine order. I think I remember she passed away. So sad.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Sunshine State Sue said:

I remember her talking about the skills she picked up over the years that helped her to work with the severely mentally ill. I found it fascinating. Kind of like it was all in divine order. I think I remember she passed away. So sad.

She did and took an admirably good sense approach to it, which I have always remembered and intend to emulate when it's my turn.

8 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

She did and took an admirably good sense approach to it, which I have always remembered and intend to emulate when it's my turn.

She had admirably good sense about many things.  She was also a great writer.  

• Like 4

I hadn't thought about it before this thread, but yes over 20 years now. Wow! I remember waiting for the board to flip. It was so much fun to see who got in first and posted!

My kids are 32 almost 33, 27, 25, and 23 nearly 24 now. 3 grandsons as well, and six honorary adult kids added to the mix. Back then I used to hold my youngest on my lap while posting to WTM. Where did the tike go???? 😜

I also want to say that during the Great Kerfuffle, some of us joined Audrey, who isn't here anymore, in the witch's brew and never got our introductory witch's kit and beginner goat. I am still disappointed about that! 😁😁😁😉

Good grief! How long ago was the Great Kerfuffle! That was an epic time to be alive on the WTM boards.

Don't get confused. The Great Kerfuffle was not the Cupcake Kerfuffle. 😂

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Susan Wise Bauer said:

This thread is such a delight. How lovely to see reminders of this board's very long history! We've come a long way from the days when I used to be the one to flip the old boards and posters competed to be the first on the new board.

Glad you saw this thread, Susan!  And I enjoy seeing your IG activities. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Susan Wise Bauer said:

This thread is such a delight. How lovely to see reminders of this board's very long history! We've come a long way from the days when I used to be the one to flip the old boards and posters competed to be the first on the new board.

I'm getting such a thrill from you posting on this thread, Susan!! 

Thank you so much for keeping these boards alive for all these years and for creating the safe digital space for us all to share our diverse experiences and viewpoints.

Edited by Hannah
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Susan Wise Bauer said:

Thank you so much for keeping the boards going all these years. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

I wasn’t around during the cupcake one, but I know of it. When people speak of the Great Kerfuffle, I assumed it was the cupcake one. I’m glad to have clarification on that! 😅

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I hadn't thought about it before this thread, but yes over 20 years now. Wow! I remember waiting for the board to flip. It was so much fun to see who got in first and posted!

My kids are 32 almost 33, 27, 25, and 23 nearly 24 now. 3 grandsons as well, and six honorary adult kids added to the mix. Back then I used to hold my youngest on my lap while posting to WTM. Where did the tike go???? 😜

I also want to say that during the Great Kerfuffle, some of us joined Audrey, who isn't here anymore, in the witch's brew and never got our introductory witch's kit and beginner goat. I am still disappointed about that! 😁😁😁😉

Good grief! How long ago was the Great Kerfuffle! That was an epic time to be alive on the WTM boards.

Okay.  Remind me if you can without it being incendiary: I remember the Cupcake Kerfuffle but I'm not sure about the Great Kerfuffle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Okay.  Remind me if you can without it being incendiary: I remember the Cupcake Kerfuffle but I'm not sure about the Great Kerfuffle.

Great Homeschool Convention, a certain conservative speaker engaging in bad, bad behavior, and a whole bunch of us got banned blocked from his email/blog comments because we supported Susan and Dr. Enns.

I am pretty certain that except for the Covid information thread, it may have been the longest thread ever, certainly it was at that time with thousands of posts if memory serves, and Audrey offering all of us "witches" that go blocked, a starter kit with goat. It was absolutely epic, and turned into a lot of fun though it did start out a little heated.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Great Homeschool Convention, a certain conservative speaker engaging in bad, bad behavior, and a whole bunch of us got banned blocked from his email/blog comments because we supported Susan and Dr. Enns.

I am pretty certain that except for the Covid information thread, it may have been the longest thread ever, certainly it was at that time with thousands of posts if memory serves, and Audrey offering all of us "witches" that go blocked, a starter kit with goat. It was absolutely epic, and turned into a lot of fun though it did start out a little heated.

Ah yes. I remember that one too. 

• Like 3

On 3/18/2024 at 11:22 AM, Sunshine State Sue said:

Anyone remember vegsource?

I remember VegSource. Very active buy and sell board! 

I first heard about Well Trained Mind from the Five in a Row board. Very different approaches, but I loved both. My poor kids got a lot thrown at them in the early years while I figured things out. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Susan Wise Bauer said:

So lovely to see you here! Yes, this board has been a true delight and a fabulous resource. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Susan Wise Bauer said:

Thank you so much for this board.  It has been such a positive experience in so many ways to be part of this community.  I am incredibly grateful.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I think I have a good guess as to who this could have been. Doesn’t matter now, though. 

• Like 1

What a joy to see Our Queen in this thread! I must also thank you from the bottom of my heart for this resource. It absolutely shaped who I have become in countless ways. It is a unique place in the web, where the women are exceptionally strong, the men good-looking and all of the children are above average. 😜

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I've been here since around 2008/2009 when we realized school was going to be a bad idea for ds.   I'm still homeschooling younger dd but don't go to the curriculum boards much since we're pretty much set in a routine now and not looking for ideas very often.

Dh will ask me what "my boards" say about things if he's curious about news or current events type stuff, since he knows that there's a lot of great information about all kinds of things here.

• Like 3

I was just cruising through the very old boards right quick, and I found this that I copy pasted from a fall date in the very early 2000s. (I'm being intentionally vague, and I deleted some specifics for privacy.)

Posted by SWB on [Fall Date], 1900 at 14:46:35:    <--After the millenium rolled over, the dates on the board-hosting software were wonky for a number of months.)

E____ Bauer was born ____day afternoon at 2:30 (after six hours of labor, which shocked us all since my previous shortest labor was [long]). Unfortunately none of the suggestions for starting labor worked, so _______________________. But everything went smoothly (and fast) after that. Thanks for all the good advice and sympathy.

E_______ was 7 1/2 pounds, 22 inches long, and she's now home surrounded by a ring of adoring brothers.

I'll be back on the boards after a week or so. See y'all then!

Susan

There were a lot of fond memories on those archived boards, but seeing this was extra special. Many of us had chimed in earlier that week when Susan had mentioned still being pregnant, so this was very welcome news to the Hive, too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1