Menu

Selling toy and comic book and cd collections

Ottakee

My brother passed away last week.  I am executor.  He didn’t have much but he did hade a lot of comic books in plastic sleeves, maybe a 1000 cds, and then a huge collection of He-man Masters of the Universe toys and some GI Joe and Transformer toys….a large amount brand new in the boxes.

what is the best way to sell these?  I do not have the time to list each item on eBay and ship, etc.   today I was at the house and quickly looked up 3 random ones and they were $60-125 each on eBay…..so given the huge number, likely a collection worth some money to the right person.

there is also an antique Birds Eye maple curved dresser in excellent condition that could be $1000 or more.

As a family we could use the proceeds to pay his funeral expenses and other bills but we are short on time and mental energy.

• Sad 2

Do you have any resale shops in your area that specialize in collectables? We had one in our old neighborhood when we lived in a larger city, and they would frequently be posting on their facebook page about vintage toys, comics, etc they bought and then would be reselling in their shop. 

The CDs are probably not worth as much, but a record store (aka a store that may mainly market that they sell used vinyl records) may sell CDs as well.  We have gotten back into buying physical media, and we found a local shop that does that.  They are selling CDs though for about $2-$3/ea so I can't imagine they are paying very much for any that people are getting rid of for them to sell. But even if they gave you 50 cents each per CD, that would add up I guess with that many!

Edited by kirstenhill
  • Like 2

There is a comic book and antique store in West Branch, MI that has a very big collection. I don't know if they would be interested in buying all of it, but it might be worth asking.

West Branch Comics and Antiques - 989-726-5015

A&A Comic Book Store Lansing - 517-303-3445

The Shire Comics, Commerce - 248-895-8037 They are actively advertising that they are buying comics.

I am so sorry about your brother. Hugs

16 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

There is a comic book and antique store in West Branch, MI that has a very big collection. I don't know if they would be interested in buying all of it, but it might be worth asking.

West Branch Comics and Antiques - 989-726-5015

A&A Comic Book Store Lansing - 517-303-3445

The Shire Comics, Commerce - 248-895-8037 They are actively advertising that they are buying comics.

I am so sorry about your brother. Hugs

I was going to suggest contacting comic book stores. If a particular store might not be interested they might have suggestions for where to sell. Also, regular bookstores that buy used books might be interested (Books-A-Million, for example).

My ex-husband had a comic book store and when it went bankrupt he sold a bunch to one of these bookstores (it was Hastings, which I think is out of business now). He actually sold the majority of them to some guy that had the money and the storage space for the tons of comic books that he had. I think the best chance of finding someone like that would also be through checking in with comic book stores. 

If Estate sales are a thing in  your area, I'd contact the estate sale companies and have them come out - explaining first what collections you have so hopefully they can bring an expert too. I don't know what the percentage split is (here, 60/40 is typical), but they take care of everything, setting it up, pricing, advertising, manning the sale, etc. 

I'm sorry for your loss too.  I'd suggest you look online for people who sell those things, whether on eBay, at stores, etc.  They'd very likely be interested in buying everything for a flat fee.   You can ask a few different people and maybe they'll even bid up when they hear what someone else would pay.

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas.  A friend of my other brother knew of a game store that is interested in some stuff and contacted the manager of another shop and he is interested in most of the rest.

• Like 4