Menu

Why do Amazon returns have so many different return locations?

DawnM

UGH!   I need to return some Christmas gifts that didn't work out.   I am returning 7 things.   Some are small items, like my son didn't like the earrings I got him.

Anyway, each item gives me a couple of choices for returns but they aren't the SAME choices!

So now I am returning items to 4 different t locations.   They aren't horribly far away from each other, but WHY can't I get the same options and one return location?

I do know that in the past I have returned something to the Amazon return at Kohl's when I actually signed up to return it to Whole Foods, so maybe I can luck out and return all of them to the same place.    But I still don't understand WHY the options are so varied.

Is there a place in town that you can drop off UPS packages?  I live in between 2 very small town (each have a population of about 3,000) and they both have a place.  One is a hardware store, and the other is an insurance office.  I believe there is a map you can look at that shows UPS drop offs.  Try googling UPS access points this may give you some locations.   I am wondering why you can't just drop them off at the same location?  I don't even ask Amazon where to go, just use the local UPS access points and I've never had an issue.  

it probably has to do with where they are ultimately going, and your area doesn't have one area that sends things everywhere.
I can usually return to one of multiple locations, but not always.  And Even Whole Foods doesn't seem to want to take large items.   Amazon Fresh seems to have more space.  (there's one woman I dont' want to deal with at the Amazon Hub, so I try to avoid it.  She basically sends you off to go process your return yourself so she doesn't have to do anything.  Do your job.  Because of her, I've been going to Kohl's when I'm near them.  2 days a week.  While they take most things, they don't take everything.  They do give a 15% off coupon for any purchases, and 10% off Sephora.)

I was super ticked when I bought something that advertised "free returns" - and when I went to return it! even said "free returns".   I was ONLY able to return it to UPS, and had to pay about 10% of the cost of the item to ship it. . . When I called them out on it, they deleted it.  when I posted a review complaining about it - they had it deleted.  I will never buy from Sunbeam again . . .Makes me wonder if they're having financial problems.

Edited by gardenmom5

This got worse in January for me. I usually use the UPS store but for some they wanted another location and UPS wasn’t an option on about half. I chose Staples, but wanted to change it to Kohls a day later. . When I logged on to make the change I used my phone instead of laptop. The mobile app gave me the UPS store for an option for all the package except one, and that one I could pay a dollar and still use the UPS store, so I did. 

Not sure why the app gave me different options but it made me very happy to not have to go to Kohls ( I read dislike Kohls)

• Like 1

I was just dropping off an amazon return at UPS yesterday along with about 50 other people. I had the thought that if UPS offered drive through drop off for a small fee they would make a killing!! 

That doesn't help your situation. Amazon generally offers UPS or one other spot and I only ever do UPS. How strange!! That would be so frustrating!!

Edited by WendyLady
  • Like 3

Ours is like that now too- I mean it’s nice to have options but individual items don’t all have the same options so now I have to go to 3 different plazas for 3 Amazon returns- all from the same original order. Ugh.

I was just discussing cutting back on Amazon orders to things I know I won’t need to return.

So no more ordering to try on clothes and shoes.

Sound’s frustrating.

I have never experienced this. There are often options, but I always choose the UPS store near my house. Never had that not be an option.  

My mom has trouble with the return pick-up from her assisted living place. But that might be user-error! 

Edited by ScoutTN

14 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Sound’s frustrating.

I have never experienced this. There are often options, but I always choose the UPS store near my house. Never had that not be an option.  

My mom has trouble with the return pick-up from her assisted living place. But that might be user-error! 

I used to have the same. The UPS store took everything, including for other postal services (Fedex/USPS etc) but they wouldn't give you a receipt for these obviously.  Than after Jan 1 of this year, it isn't showing up all the time anymore. It is usually on the second set of options for me, but where it used to be free, it will now have a charge if I want to choose it.  We have several UPS stores near me. I hate to lose the freedom to drop off there because they have a self service kiosk that anyone rarely uses, so I just walk up, do my return and never stand in line. I mentioned above that for some reason I get the UPS store as a free option for items on the phone App that I don't get on my laptop. Odd. 

• Like 1

I feel like i'm doing something wrong!  When I return something, Amazon doesn't tell me where to return it.  I just print the label and take it to the hardware store.  I take everything to the same place.  Am I missing something?  There aren't any UPS or Kohls within 30 minutes of me so maybe that's why?

I don't know if this is the reason but I read a really long article last year in the New Yorker about returns and the whole industry around returning stuff and the basic summary was that returns don't really work the way we think they do. Very little (basically almost nothing) gets returned to the store or site that we buy from. It almost all goes somewhere else to either get destroyed, dumped or to get resold on some other site. This is true even for places like Amazon. One of the startling things in the story to me was that Amazon apparently says that it doesn't dump things in landfills but it's because they burn a lot of the returns.

So I'm guessing that returns all go to different places because they have different endpoints...it's not like they are actually going back to an Amazon warehouse. The different companies that are taking the products back are probably contracted to then send them on somewhere...but it's not the same places they get sent. 

That's somewhat of a guess so I could be really wrong. And I agree with you that it is annoying from a customer side of it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Alice said:

I don't know if this is the reason but I read a really long article last year in the New Yorker about returns and the whole industry around returning stuff and the basic summary was that returns don't really work the way we think they do. Very little (basically almost nothing) gets returned to the store or site that we buy from. It almost all goes somewhere else to either get destroyed, dumped or to get resold on some other site. This is true even for places like Amazon. One of the startling things in the story to me was that Amazon apparently says that it doesn't dump things in landfills but it's because they burn a lot of the returns.

So I'm guessing that returns all go to different places because they have different endpoints...it's not like they are actually going back to an Amazon warehouse. The different companies that are taking the products back are probably contracted to then send them on somewhere...but it's not the same places they get sent. 

That's somewhat of a guess so I could be really wrong. And I agree with you that it is annoying from a customer side of it. 

We have really become such a disposable society.   It is so unfortunate.   

• Sad 2

The return options changed in January for us too. Now the only free place is Kohls - which makes you walk to the very back of the store to return things. As a reward, they do give you a 15% off coupon for anything in Kohls. It's not enough! I hate Kohls. I hate their business model. I hate their messy stores. 

The regular place I used to drop off returns was the UPS store. Now that costs $1 per item. 

I'm wondering if Kohls is giving them a great deal to be their free return place so they get more foot traffic/customers in the store? 

Edited by Bambam
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alice said:

I have seen several “unboxing” videos where people apparently bid on return boxes. Supposedly they have a list of what is in there but the list is vague. The couple I watched, they spent $1,000 on a huge box. Half of it is trash, disgustingly dirty, broken etc. Clearly  no one has looked at those items before tossing them in a box. The buyers apparently then keep or resell the rest of it. 

5 hours ago, DawnM said:

Staples and UPS yesterday.    Whole Foods and Kohl's today.    

We will get these all sent back by the deadline!

I feel you. I suspect that it is do discourage people from making returns. 

I can usually do UPS, which is the most convenient, but there are times I have to go to Whole Foods, which isn't far, just a pain. Then there are times when we are forced to return to Khol's which is a 30 minute drive each way, assuming no traffic. I hate that. I talk to costumer service and nothing.

Amazon has become an over priced pain the butt.

9 hours ago, LuvToRead said:

I feel like i'm doing something wrong!  When I return something, Amazon doesn't tell me where to return it.  I just print the label and take it to the hardware store.  I take everything to the same place.  Am I missing something?  There aren't any UPS or Kohls within 30 minutes of me so maybe that's why?

Yes, It is based on proximity of return locations.  

• Like 1

And remember my issue with  30 orders disappearing from my account and then some of them showing on my app but not on my computer?   Well, now most of them are gone from my app as well.    Thankfully, something I am returning I took a screenshot of the return code because it is no longer in my purchased list!

This is just crazy.

13 hours ago, LuvToRead said:

That makes sense.  I thought maybe I was doing something wrong!  But the hardware store always takes them along with the $2 per package fee!!

Oh wow, I don't pay anything to return.

• Like 1