Menu

Campground check in/check out questions

Indigo Blue

Let’s say you are going to a family campground (a rustic one that has no water or electricity) that has a pay kiosk and no pre-registration, only first come, first served. So you pay for one night and set up at check in time. The next day, you pack up to be out by checkout time. 

My question is, who, in this rustic setting, enforces this checkout time? What if the campground isn’t full, and probably no one else is coming in behind you? What if you stay a few hours later so you won’t feel rushed? 

If someone comes in looking for a spot, and there are many open ones, is it rude to stay past checkout in this situation? How do they know you aren’t going to stay two nights? 

I would never want to be inconsiderate, so explain this if you can. Is it ok to stay past checkout until later in the day if the campground is empty or has several open spots in the afternoon? Again, for first come first served types. 

IMO, first come, first serve includes the element of first choice. So, if I pull up at check in time and a family is on my ideal site for what I don’t know will be just 2 hours, I’m setting up camp on a less preferred site. Then I see them leave and I’m very bummed they weren’t out on time so I could have my desired site as the rules dictate. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I suppose it depends on the campground. At Huron-Manistee National Forest you can reserve online or just drop money in the box when you arrive and pick a campsite. The volunteer camp hosts check the box everyday and then drive around in a golf cart kindly reminding folks of check out time. It is pretty laid back. They probably do have a park ranger they could call if they really needed to evict someone, but in my experience the people who are willing to camp without amenities are the ones who tend to be fairly conscientious and respectful.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

IMO, first come, first serve includes the element of first choice. So, if I pull up at check in time and a family is on my ideal site for what I don’t know will be just 2 hours, I’m setting up camp on a less preferred site. Then I see them leave and I’m very bummed they weren’t out on time so I could have my desired site as the rules dictate. 

Yes, I did think about that. This is a good point. 

2 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I suppose it depends on the campground. At Huron-Manistee National Forest you can reserve online or just drop money in the box when you arrive and pick a campsite. The volunteer camp hosts check the box everyday and then drive around in a golf cart kindly reminding folks of check out time. It is pretty laid back. They probably do have a park ranger they could call if they really needed to evict someone, but in my experience the people who are willing to camp without amenities are the ones who tend to be fairly conscientious and respectful.

Thanks. I don’t know if anyone will be patrolling where we are. They may. 

It seems best to checkout on time, then. I just did not know if it was one of those things that wouldn’t matter much. 

To avoid check in and out times, we have options for wilderness areas, too. 

48 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I would pay for an extra night if I intended to stay several hours past check out time. Otherwise, I’d leave on time so someone else paying to stay that night can have the option of that campsite.

This. Either pay for an additional night to check out at your leisure or follow the checkout hours. Anything else is rude.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

I would pay for an extra night if I intended to stay several hours past check out time. Otherwise, I’d leave on time so someone else paying to stay that night can have the option of that campsite.

This. 

Also echoing that many campgrounds will have someone, ranger or host, drive through to check on things a couple times each day , even when there isn’t an authority figure present all the time. 

• Like 4

I have stayed for a couple of hours sometimes. I've packed up a bunch of stuff though, so it's pretty clear I'm on my way out. In first come first serve campgrounds I think people are comfortable asking if someone is leaving, and if I signal as much, I'm fine with sticking around for awhile. I would only do this if there are plenty of other sites open though. When things are full people get itchy, and I would want to respect that. If someone asked me and decided they wanted the spot, I'd leave then too and wouldn't make them wait.

At sites where there is preregistration there is still a several hour gap between check out and check in too, and as long as I leave my site nice and neat, I have stuck around sometimes there too. Of course, if the next people showed up, even early, I'd leave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

This is a good idea. So just put two nights of camping into the kiosk, and stay as long as you need the next day. We have a rustic campground that is only 5.00 per night. So, it’s still cheap to pay 10.00. Thanks. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 5

Ds and I are planning to camp for one night stays because we will be driving to meet each other at the site. He has a cat, and we don’t leave our cats for more than one night unless someone is paid to feed and scoop. So I was seeing that check in times are late in the day and checkout times are early, at all campgrounds. This makes for a rushed and short stay. So I was thinking of using wilderness sites. That is an option, but I haven’t laid eyes on these areas to know if I will feel safe. I’d like to have a few different spots scoped out ahead of time in several types of areas that I’d be comfortable staying in and be ready to choose another spot if something is full. I’m just trying to figure out how to stay in a paid camp site if need be and still stay long enough to enjoy it without it being so short of a stay. Paying for two nights seems like a good option in the inexpensive, rustic site. And we’d have other choices if need be. This area has many different sites ranging from wilderness to paved pull in sites with water and electricity. It is vast. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, regentrude said:

You can always take down your tent, pack up,  and leave your vehicle parked in a common area that isn't the actual  campsite, and enjoy a full day of hiking, fishing,  birding, picnicking or whatever else you do.

Yes! This was my plan to start with. We can absolutely do that. We’d just drive to a nearby trailhead with a parking lot and make lunch or dinner right there. Then hike for a bit and head home. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

@Indigo Blue Does the website have photos of the sites? Can you make a short trip to spy out the land ahead of time? Sounds like you have several options.

As a tent-camper, I dislike being on a gravel pad or in a circle with/next to RVs. 

Yes. There are photos. I also found YouTube videos of each one. I really want the unicorn site, lol. Not on the side of a forest road where I feel alone and vulnerable. Not with other people, either, lol. 

I’m definitely planning to spy out the land ahead of time to look at several sites, including good (hopefully) wilderness sites. 

Some areas are for the horse crowd. Some areas are for the OHV crowd. Some areas are for hunters. Some are family campgrounds. And you can boondock anywhere except near campgrounds and trailheads. 

I just need to map some choices and backups. It’s an hour and a half drive for me, so I want to know where to go. 

I think the rustic one is a good general choice. Sites are spread out. No RV’s. 

• Like 2

A little delay, no biggie, but I wouldn't plan to stay significantly past check-out time.

Besides giving the next day's campers "first choice," the campground needs time to go inspect your site in case any cleaning or maintenance is needed etc.

It also feels a bit dishonest to take what is essentially 2 days of recreation for the price of 1.  What if everyone did that?  The campground would have to charge everyone more in order to break even.

If you know you plan to stay longer, just talk to the front desk and see what they say.  Maybe they will let you stay several hours longer for a small additional fee.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SKL said:

A little delay, no biggie, but I wouldn't plan to stay significantly past check-out time.

Besides giving the next day's campers "first choice," the campground needs time to go inspect your site in case any cleaning or maintenance is needed etc.

It also feels a bit dishonest to take what is essentially 2 days of recreation for the price of 1.  What if everyone did that?  The campground would have to charge everyone more in order to break even.

If you know you plan to stay longer, just talk to the front desk and see what they say.  Maybe they will let you stay several hours longer for a small additional fee.

It’s also fairly typical here at least that check in is at 2 and check out at 10 so what you pay for with a campsite is actually not even a day of recreation. If you want a day of recreation you have to book two nights. (I do get the logistics with van parks etc mean they don’t want people arriving as others are leaving it gets too messy). 

• Like 1

To me it depends on how busy the campground is. If we are running a bit behind and it is obvious we are packing up, I don't worry about it.

I have gone up to campers that are in a site I am interested in, and asked it they were leaving or coming before. There is something that make it pretty obvious when people are packing up to leave, but I still like to ask. I always make sure to be super friendly about it. If I was planning to stay 3-4 hours, then I would consider paying an extra night. In our area, that is probably $10 at a rural (no host) site.  That way I don't feel rushed at all.  It it is a busy site, then paying the extra is easy to buy myself the extra time.   At a host site, I will ask the host. 

Seriously, I would never worry about it if I was less than one hour past.  Even at a busier, no host site it would be obvious to anyone driving past that we are packing up because at that point we would be attaching the trailer (not detaching and leveling) and we would be putting things in the truck, not out of it. 

I am not super strict about rules in general as long as they don't cause harm. If anything, I am shorting the campground $10 by not paying the extra day for me to use it for 2 hours.  At a busy site, someone else will come along and be happy to find it empty. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Spryte said:

I actually do this for most of my camping reservations. Not that we camp a lot or anything, but I much prefer to have the whole day to pack up. I can sleep in a little, and take my time. We tent camp, too. 

I’ve never done a first come first serve/no reservations. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, popmom said:

I actually do this for most of my camping reservations. Not that we camp a lot or anything, but I much prefer to have the whole day to pack up. I can sleep in a little, and take my time. We tent camp. 

I’ve never done a first come first serve/no reservations. 

I think that’s a great idea. We haven’t camped in a while, but we might do the same next time we do!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tap said:

Seriously, I would never worry about it if I was less than one hour past.  

This.

I also think it would be worthwhile to look at the difference between check-out time and check-in time.  If there is a difference of a couple of hours (which is common), that's probably done purposefully so there is plenty of time between when one person checks out and the other checks in.

• Like 1

I do think the check in check out times are an issue especially for tent campers who have a lot of set up and tear down. It really eats into the time available to enjoy nature. But I don't see that changing because campgrounds would need a lot more staff in order to clean up between campers and make sure everything is in order. Michigan state parks are a 3 pm check in and a 1 pm check out. Many rangers want check out rolled back to 11 am, at the latest noon because they are struggling to be able to get ready for the next wave of check ins during the busiest part of the season. As is, if it takes 2 hours for set up (some folks do take a LOT of stuff camping, and unpacking the family vehicle is a lot like watching a car birth a department store), then it is supper time before you are ready to enjoy the day, and if you stay only one night, 10:30-11 am tearing down. If they roll that time back, campers who only stay one night are literally only having an evening to enjoy the park.

My suggestion is always to stay a minimum of 3 nights so there is plenty of hiking and exploring time, and it is worth all the set up and tear down. If one is in need of a single night while traveling, take along a portable composting toilet, and disperse camp for free in National Forests and Grasslands, set up the bare minimum, do the hiking you want, and leave at your leisure since there are no check in and check out times, just clean up/pack in and pack it back out. It should be noted that if you disperse camp, there are some serious rules. You have to usr non toxic, biodegradable soaps such as Dr. Bronner's Castile soaps and shampoos,  7th generation, or super old time, baking soda. No use of mother nature as your potty within 200 ft of a water source. Make sure you bury it well. No campfires unless a ring is provided, and only park your vehicle on the specific maintained flat spot provided. Do not drive onto native grasses or further into the forest. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

some folks do take a LOT of stuff camping, and unpacking the family vehicle is a lot like watching a car birth a department store),

This made me laugh.😂 We plan to be very minimal. 

I can see some people do need to take more stuff. 

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

You have to usr non toxic, biodegradable soaps such as Dr. Bronner's Castile soaps and shampoos,  7th generation, or super old time, baking soda. No use of mother nature as your potty within 200 ft of a water source. Make sure you bury it well. No campfires unless a ring is provided, and only park your vehicle on the specific maintained flat spot provided. Do not drive onto native grasses or further into the forest. 

Of course. These were all questions I previously had, but learned the answer to. You covered it all!

• Thanks 1

On this topic, I was browsing random videos on RV park etiquette, even though I have never nor ever will be RV camping. Just something to look at. Anyway, the unsanitary ways people rinse out their waste hoses. 😳 They drain them with them all draped over their picnic table. They don’t wear gloves when undoing the connection. Letting their dogs run loose. People just tromping through other people’s sites. Loud music and bright lights. Not following quiet hours. They say these things are common! 

I have no idea if it is, but it sounds unpleasant. And makes me glad I have my own small folding table, which I prefer anyway. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Sad 1

My family camps a lot.  We camp in everything from super-busy ranger-manned state parks down to state forest campgrounds that are never manned.  I took three months for the check I left in the tube at our last campground to even be cashed and we for sure never saw a ranger or camp host or actually ANYONE the entire time we were there, if that gives you an idea of how desolate that one was.....  We do a combo of everything mentioned so far.  

We are almost always leaving at the end of a weekend or even into the next week.  Even the busiest campgrounds do not have many incoming campers on those day so there is wiggle room.  For busy state parks, we do leave on time or reserve for an extra day so we can chill out while packing up.  The rangers will chase us out if we overstay.  For any other campground, we take our time and don't worry about it.  If we see people trolling for sites, I go up to the car and let them know we are leaving if they are interested in our site.  And if they take it, we hightail it out and park somewhere else to hang out if we choose.  We do make sure to be pretty much 99% packed up by check out so we can mobilize quickly if needed.  During less-busy times, we have also just asked the ranger on duty (if there is one) if it is OK to linger a bit.  So far, we have not been denied.

• Like 1