Menu

My parents have covid

Elizabeth86

I wish them both well and a speedy recovery.

My parents had it back in 2020 or '21 and it was mild for them. They are both vaxxed, but in their '80s. They were fine. My in laws have had it a couple times, they are both in bad health but Covid wasn't an ordeal for either of them (idk their vax status but I think they are).

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I wish them both well and a speedy recovery.

My parents had it back in 2020 or '21 and it was mild for them. They are both vaxxed, but in their '80s. They were fine. My in laws have had it a couple times, they are both in bad health but Covid wasn't an ordeal for either of them (idk their vax status but I think they are).

They have not had their vaccine this year. They went for it when they got their flu shot, but they didn’t have it so I guess they just hadn’t taken the time to go get it. 😭

• Sad 5

7 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

They have not had their vaccine this year. They went for it when they got their flu shot, but they didn’t have it so I guess they just hadn’t taken the time to go get it. 😭

If they had a primary series, that should be super helpful to them. I hope they both recover quickly and fully. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Many of the older people in my orbit - my parents, our choir and women's groups at church - have had it this fall and it's been minor.  Some have been sicker than others, but it's ranged from a mild cold to a 24 hour virus to 'not as bad as the flu' to 'a sinus infection'.  I hope that their case is likewise mild.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clemsondana said:

Many of the older people in my orbit - my parents, our choir and women's groups at church - have had it this fall and it's been minor.  Some have been sicker than others, but it's ranged from a mild cold to a 24 hour virus to 'not as bad as the flu' to 'a sinus infection'.  I hope that their case is likewise mild.  

That’s great. I pray this is the case for them.

12 hours ago, Clemsondana said:

Same here.  I was very surprised the older people in my world did so well because they have a lot of health issues.  

Hoping they do well and feel better soon.  

• Thanks 1

The early treatment docs on social media are saying that the acute presentation is quite mild. Your parents should watch for bronchitis and sinusitis as a follow-on to the viral infection; both are treatable, may require antibiotics and/or a short course of steroids, in those with comorbidities. It's absolutely treatable.

We went through a large late-August, early September wave on the campus where I work, and I have a friend who works in the health clinic on campus, and she was keeping me posted. 🙂 I heard her side re. students, and I also heard from a dozen or so colleagues...we middle-agers talk. 😄

• Thanks 1

Interestingly the people I know this year who have been hit hard by Covid are the middle aged.  The elderly, despite vaccination status, seem to be having pretty easy clinical courses.

Flu, on the other hand, is hospitalizing a lot of people of all age groups in my local area.  And RSV is on the upswing among all age groups.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

55 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Interestingly the people I know this year who have been hit hard by Covid are the middle aged.

It seems like it could have some to do with how many prior covid infections someone has had. People’s acute illness seems to often get milder each time, but more younger people who may have been okay after their first couple times aren’t fully recovering from their third, fourth, fifth covid infection. 

1 hour ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I asked her and she said she didn’t know the name of it, she’d look later and tell me. 🙄 She said it was blue. lol

Well, paxlovid is comprised of pink tablets (nirmatrelvir component) and white tablets (ritonavir component), packaged in blister packs with yellow foil over the morning dose and blue foil over the evening dose, in a white  box with blue writing and blue trim with a thin dark pink/almost red stripe.  At least in Canada.  As per google, it seems to be the same in the US.  So maybe?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, wathe said:

Well, paxlovid is comprised of pink tablets (nirmatrelvir component) and white tablets (ritonavir component), packaged in blister packs with yellow foil over the morning dose and blue foil over the evening dose, in a white  box with blue writing and blue trim with a thin dark pink/almost red stripe.  At least in Canada.  As per google, it seems to be the same in the US.  So maybe?

Thanks! Is there a preferred medication?

2 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Thanks! Is there a preferred medication?

That's a question best ansered by one's own provider, and answer will vary depending on one's circumstances.  It's complicated, the evidence base is poor, and there is some controversy within the medical community.   I posted a little bit about paxlovid in the "paxlovid -- recent experience/info" thread.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 10:39 AM, Elizabeth86 said:

I asked her and she said she didn’t know the name of it, she’d look later and tell me. 🙄 She said it was blue. lol

lagevrio is what she told me, but a quick search told me it is not blue. I have no idea what they are taking.

Edited by Elizabeth86

5 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

lagevrio is what she told me, but a quick search told me it is not blue. I have no idea what they are taking.

Lagevrio is the other name for Molnupiravir. They were likely not prescribed Paxlovid due to drug-drug interactions. Here's some info:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/lagevrio-molnupiravir-vs-paxlovid-nirmatrelvir-ritonavir-7496436

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1