Menu

December 2023: What are you reading?

Vintage81

Happy December! 🎄

It doesn’t really feel like December here because it’s not cold yet, but I’m not complaining (I hate the cold weather 🤣). I’ve got most of my Christmas decorations up except the big tree and some outside stuff…we’ll probably finish that up this weekend. 

As far as reading, I’m several books away from my reading goal this year, so I’ll be doing my best to reach that this month. ☺️ I hope y’all are all doing well and enjoying your holiday season so far!

Happy reading!

• Like 5

For school, I still read aloud to DDs and today we finished Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys. She’s one of my favorite historical fiction authors, and I love all of her books. This was my second time reading this one, although it had been a while since I first read this one so I didn’t remember how everything happened. I can get pretty emotional when I read books, but for whatever reason it seems worse when I read aloud…oh, the tears. WWII books are the worst for me. My DDs always chuckle at me and my sensitive self. ☺️🤦‍♀️ Anyways, I think they still enjoyed it. (5 stars)

• Like 7

Christmas at Holiday House by RaeAnne Thayne. More holiday fluff -- YAY!  Also, shout out to my local library for putting a bright "Holiday" sticker on the spine of books, both fiction and non-fiction, so I can just cruise around and grab stuff off the shelves in any genre.

• Like 5

I have finished one book since I last posted. I quite enjoyed the historical romance The Last Kiss by Sally Malcolm. It is set during and after world war one and features two British men from different social classes who fall in love. I would happily read more by this author. (Some adult content)

"When Captain Ashleigh Dalton went to war in 1914, he never expected to fall in love. Yet, over three long years at the front, his dashing batman, Private West, became his reason for fighting—and his reason for living.

For Harry West, an ostler from London’s East End, it was love at first sight when he met complex, compassionate Captain Dalton. Harry knew their friendship wouldn’t survive in the class-bound world back home, but in the trenches there was no point in worrying about tomorrow…

Now, gravely wounded, Ash has been evacuated home to Highcliffe House, his father’s Hampshire estate. Bereft of Harry, angry and alone, Ash struggles to fit into the unchanging world he left behind. Meanwhile, Harry, broken-hearted, doubts he’ll ever see his beloved captain again.

But when the guns fall silent and Harry finds himself adrift in London, a desperate hope carries him to Highcliffe House in search of work—and of the officer he can’t forget…"

(FIC 106, RR 59, NF 14, NS 28, GN 2, PIC 2//)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I finished Rouge by Mona Awad. This was exactly what I expected it to be, a weird fever dream of a book. This is a weird retelling of Beauty and the Beast with some Snow White thrown in, it's also a scathing take down of the beauty industry. Also Tom Cruise is a vampire. It's delightfully weird and I loved it! 4 stars.

• Like 4

I think I forgot to mention a few books I finished last month (if these are repeats, sorry...my brain is apparently in an end-of-the-year fog 🤪)

The Simple Wild by K.A. Tucker - City girl Calla, who lives in Toronto, gets an unexpected phone called regarding her estranged father, who lives in Alaska. She decides it's time to go visit him after years of not speaking and lots of misunderstandings. When she arrives she meets a hot-shot Alaskan pilot whom she despises... they could not be more different. However, after staying in Alaska for a few weeks, she starts to really like the place, form a new bond with her dad, and get caught up in a new relationship with a hot-shot pilot she wasn't bargaining for. I enjoyed this one, and I really liked the Alaska setting. The relationship between Calla, her dad, and her mom was heartwarming. Sometimes Calla got on my nerves though. There's a sequel, so I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to continue. (4 stars)

Practice Makes Perfect by Sarah Adams - This is actually the second book is a "series" but it's not really necessary to have read the first one. I've kind of spoiled it anyway because this book has the characters from Book 1 in it. Oh well! Any who...in this book Annie lives in a small town and can't seem to find love. Fortunately, her brother is marrying a pop superstar and this superstar's bodyguard is in town for security for the wedding. He has so graciously volunteered to help Annie with some coaching on how-to-date. Of course, he also has a big crush on Annie, so that complicates things. The premise of this book was so ridiculous, but it was still fun. Nothing deep. (4 stars)

• Like 4

I've started my Christmas mystery reading month but haven't finished anything yet. I had to finish The Kiill Artist (Daniel Silva), an espionage thriller very tangentially related to the art world. It was good except for a few eye-roll worthy wth moments.  Lots of killing in this one. I will likely carry on with it. 

I'm currently reading Murder Most Festive (Ada Moncrief) a recent book written in the style of a classic crime novel. I had read it a couple years ago, or last year, not sure which, and remember liking it, but it's not hitting me so great right now. But I'm over halfway through so I will carry on as I don't remember who the killer is! 

ETA: I also read Advent by Tish Harrison Warren, an Anglican priest. I like her writing and this book was good. Gave some background to the Liturgical season of Advent, and ways to celebrate it without being a Christmas season party-pooper. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4

A City on Mars: Can We Settle Space, Should We Settle Space, and Have We Really Thought This Through?  by Kelly and Zach Weinersmith.  I love this book. Plenty of pop science about living in space, of course. But there's more - legal considerations - hello, res nullius vs res communis. And some historical context for international law. Downside: I'm pretty sure I need to go back and re-read all of The Expanse (conveniently, I have all 9 main volumes) to ponder how well those authors integrated many of these ideas and concepts ... for example, when the Weinersmiths started talking about hurling asteroids at Earth, it was old news to an Expanse-fangirl.

The Good and Beautiful Life: Putting on the Character of Christ by James Bryan Smith. This was for a Bible study group at church. Based on Dallas Willard's Divine Conspiracy - the author was a teaching assistant for Willard for 10 years. 

• Like 3

Orbiting Jupiter by Gary D. Schmidt was this evening’s read. Excellent YA story. 

Still working on Planet Narnia and some other non-fiction.

Got a book with 5 Christmas stories by Dickens from the library. Three that are new to me. Rereading The Cricket on the Hearth first, saving A Christmas Carol for last, and sandwiching the new ones in between. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 4

I just finished this nice, light read.  It was set in a small resort town very near me.  I was impressed with the accuracy of locations, terrain, landmarks, etc…right down to the model of boat made locally.

Story of a 40s woman who inherits her family’s summer cottage and turns it into an Inn.

IMG_5394.jpeg

• Like 4

I read a couple more books this week.

A Grosvenor Square Christmas by Shana Galen and others was a pleasant anthology of four slightly linked historical romance stories that featured a common location. The anthology is currently free for Kindle readers.

"Down through the years, enchantment touches a tall gray house in Grosvenor Square. The legend of Lady Winterson’s Christmas ball promises true love and happiness to one lucky couple. Who will feel the magic this winter?

1803 - The Seduction of a Duchess by Shana Galen

Rowena Harcourt, the Duchess of Valère, never forgot the handsome footman who helped her escape the French Revolution. For fourteen years, Gabriel Lamarque has loved Rowena—now at Lady Winterson’s Christmas ball, has fate finally delivered a chance to win her hand?

1818 - One Kiss for Christmas by Vanessa Kelly

Nigel Dash is London’s most reliable gentleman, a reputation he never minded until he fell in love with beautiful Amelia Easton. Unfortunately, Amelia sees Nigel as a dependable friend, not a dashing suitor. At Lady Winterson’s famous Christmas ball, Nigel vows to change Amelia’s mind—by sweeping her off her feet.

1825 - His Christmas Cinderella by Anna Campbell

At the season’s most glittering ball, a girl who has never dared to dream of forever after discovers a Christmas miracle.

1830 - The Last First Kiss by Kate Noble

Susannah Westforth has always loved Sebastian Beckett – but he’s only ever seen her as a friend. When Sebastian takes his Grand Tour, Susannah transforms herself into a woman he’ll notice. Now Sebastian is back, just in time for Lady Winterson's Christmas ball – but the last thing he expects to see is his little Susie, all grown up...

You’re invited to join the whirling dance at Lady Winterson’s sparkling Christmas ball, where miracles happen and true love shines forever. How can you resist?"

I also read Contract Season (Trade Season Book 2) by Cait Nary, a contemporary romance featuring a hockey player and a country music star. I enjoyed this story and will happily read more by the author. (Adult content)

"A heartbroken hockey player and an up-and-coming country music star fake it for the cameras (or do they?) in Cait Nary’s delightfully sexy new novel.

Brody Kellerman has a plan. First, become the best defenseman in professional hockey. Second, get over his ex-boyfriend so he can focus on his game. Hooking up with the singer at his buddy’s wedding was the perfect solution, but it was never meant to be more than a one-night stand.

Seamus Murry has never planned a thing in his life, including hooking up with a smoking-hot hockey player. Being ghosted sucks, but at least one good thing came from it—the breakout hit song of the summer. Now he’s one of country music’s brightest stars, but one slipup—or in this case, video—might cost him his career.

When their video goes viral, Brody and Seamus agree to fake a relationship. But soon it's impossible to remember what is real and what's pretend, and although Brody has no intention of falling for freewheeling Seamus's charm…life doesn't always go according to plan." 

(FIC 108, RR 59, NF 14, NS 28, GN 2, PIC 2///)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I am reading a Nordic Tales book for children one chapter every night on Zoom for my grandsons. It is a lovely book, and a nice way for us to share time since we won't be seeing them for the holidays.

I am also reading "The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish way of living well." Since candlelight is a big part of how they create this feeling of well being, I have 8 LED candles burning in the windows, 2 in the pass through, and will be putting out 4 more today so that our great room/family room will be lit in the evenings almost exclusively by the 12 candles and the Christmas tree lights. The other light which will be on our dining table will be our glass oil lamp with its white, opaque shade...it gives off a lot of light. We are going to try to keep all of the electric light off tonight and see what we think.

• Like 5

I finished a bunch of stuff this week but it was all just meh.

If On A Winters Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino. This started off great but by about the 5th story I was over it. For such a short book it felt like it took forever to finish. 3 stars.

A Philosophy of Walking by Frederic Gros. I thought this was going to be more about the role walking played in the lives of various philosophers but it turned out to be more of the authors philosophy on walking which I didn't care for. 2 stars.

The Truth Will Set You Free, But First it Will Piss You Off by Gloria Steinem. I bought this as a Kindle book so I didn't notice that it was only 192 pages long. It was really just a book full of her own quotes. It felt like it could have been a magazine article not a book. 3 generous stars.

• Like 4

I quite enjoyed Bibliophile: An Illustrated Miscellany by Jane Mount. This is a fun book for book lovers for browsing or for reading in its entirety; you definitely should go with a paper copy. I very much like author/illustrator Jane Mount's bookshelf art which inspired my thread from several years ago ~ What would be on your ' Ideal Bookshelf'? [Any new takers?]

"Searching  for perfect book lovers gifts? Rejoice! Bibliophile: An Illustrated Miscellany, is a love letter to all things bookish. Author Jane Mount brings literary people, places, and things to life through her signature and vibrant illustrations. It's a must have for every book collection, and makes a wonderful literary gift for book lovers, writers, and more.

Readers of Jane Mount's Bibliophile will delight in:
  • Touring the world's most beautiful bookstores
  • Testing their knowledge of the written word with quizzes
  • Finding their next great read in lovingly curated stacks of books
  • Sampling the most famous fictional meals
  • Peeking inside the workspaces of their favorite authors

A source of endless inspiration, literary facts and recommendations: Bibliophile is pure bookish joy and sure to enchant book clubbers, English majors, poetry devotees, aspiring writers, and any and all who identify as book lovers."

(FIC 108, RR 59, NF 15, NS 28, GN 2, PIC 2//)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

21 hours ago, 4kidlets4me said:

If On A Winters Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino. This started off great but by about the 5th story I was over it. For such a short book it felt like it took forever to finish. 3 stars.

This is actually one of my all time favorite books.  I purchased it in hardback when it first came out -- no clue what it was about, but it was by one of my favorite authors, so I grabbed it off the display -- and then scurried to a University reading room to start reading it, opened it and discovered it started by describing in second person what I had just done and was doing. Which absolutely delighted me. It helped that I was in my magical realism phase.

If I read it for the first time now? Eh, who knows how it would hit me. Funny how time and place makes such a difference for these things.

• Like 4

Dashing Through the Snowbirds: a Meg Langslow Mystery by Donna Andrews. Holiday whodunit. I got this as an audiobook through the Libby app so I could knit while I listened. It was as fun as any Meg Langslow book -- I've been reading random books out of this series since about the very first book, which was many years ago. This was the first time I'd listened to an audio version, though, and it took me several hours to get over the fact that the reader didn't sound like the voice in my head.

• Like 3

I've read a number of books recently. 

I very much enjoyed the contemporary fantasy An Inheritance of Magic by Benedict Jacka which is about a young man developing his magical talents while also working odd jobs to pay his rent and keep his cat fed. His situation changes (not for the better) when an unknown cousin arrives on his doorstep. I look forward to reading on in this new series. (Content warning for cruelty to animals.)

"The wealthy seem to exist in a different, glittering world from the rest of us. Almost as if by . . . magic.

Stephen Oakwood is a young man on the edge of this hidden world. He has talent and potential, but turning that potential into magical power takes money, opportunity, and training. All Stephen has is a minimum wage job and a cat. 

But when a chance encounter with a member of House Ashford gets him noticed by the wrong people, Stephen is thrown in the deep end. For centuries, the vast corporations and aristocratic Houses of the magical world have grown impossibly rich and influential by hoarding their knowledge. To survive, Stephen will have to take his talent and build it up into something greater—for only then can he beat them at their own game."

I also quite enjoyed the contemporary romance Forget Me Not by Julie Soto about a wedding planner and florist who are forced to work together several years after having broken up. This was written with scenes in the past and present. (Adult content)

"Ama Torres is an optimistic wedding planner who doesn’t believe in marriage. But weddings? They’re amazing. Elliot Bloom is a brooding florist who hates owning a flower shop…until a certain bright-eyed, donut-loving workaholic shows up at his door.

Once upon a time, they collaborated on events by day, and by night, Ama traced the intricate flower tattoos etched along his body. Then Ama shattered his heart and never spoke to Elliot again.    

Now they’re working on an event that could make or break both of their careers—except neither of them has gotten over what happened two years ago. Things are not helped by the two brides, who see the obvious chemistry between Ama and Elliot and are determined to set them up, not knowing their complicated history. But as the wedding takes on a life of its own, Ama and Elliot are about to discover that some things can survive a complete catastrophe . . . "

I also enjoyed the historical romance novella "The Mender" by Carla Kelly which can be found in this anthology, All Regency Collection by Anna Elliott and others. The story features a young American Quaker woman who is accompanying her cousin on his ship when they encounter the aftermath of a battle; she is asked to assist an injured ship's surgeon on an English vessel.

"In THE MENDER, a captivating story by Carla Kelly, Thankful Winnings takes a sea voyage with her cousin on the Ann Alexander, in a last adventure before she settles down to marry one of her beaus. Unexpectedly they come upon the aftermath of a fierce ship battle, and Thankful is commissioned to help in the place of an injured surgeon on one of the Royal Navy ships. Adam Farnsworth, surgeon, has been at sea for years. Tired of war, but devoted to his post, it takes a resourceful lady such as Thankful to give him the hope of love and help heal his own wounds, the ones that show and the ones that don’t."

(FIC 110, RR 59, NF 15, NS 29, GN 2, PIC 2//)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I also read the contemporary motorcycle club romance novella, Dizzy by Cate C. Wells. This was an enjoyable read, but it's not a book I'll likely reread. (Copious adult content)

I also read the author's paranormal romance novella, The Stone Wolf's Rejected Mate, which I enjoyed.

"I wanted him more than anything, but he wasn’t meant for me.

Life in North Border is hard, but I don’t mind as long as I can steal a few moments alone with Clay Pulley at the end of the work day.

He’s not my mate. If he were, our kisses would have triggered my heat by now.

I know this can’t last, but it’s the sweetest thing I’ve ever had. I’m holding on tight to every single second.

But then we’re caught together, and he declares in front of everyone that I don’t belong to him.

I’m destroyed.

As for him?

Well, turns out—he’s wrong.

And he’s in for the fight of his life."

(FIC 110, RR 59, NF 15, NS 31, GN 2, PIC 2///)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

I have been reading really s l o w l y this month; things have been busy and I’ve had my nose more in news articles. 

I recently listened to How Far to the Promised Land by Esau MacCaulley, which I enjoyed very much as it is read by the author. Currently reading The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo, which is a neat verse novel that should go quickly. I had not heard of this genre before I met the author at a conference earlier this year.

I have a tall TBR stack from the library but not sure how much I’ll complete before December ends. 

• Like 4

This week I've been reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell because I decided that short, dark, winter days called for a chunky British magical realism book. It's been going well and I'm enjoying it.

However, this morning I read this article from WaPo (gifted) about weird fiction that immediately had me go looking for all the stories mentioned in the article. Luckily my library had them all for download!

I just finished The Willows by Algernon Blackwood and it was fantastic! It's described in the article as the scariest story ever written. I'm not sure I'd agree with that but it feels very oppressive and claustrophobic. I was genuinely afraid for the two characters even though through most of the story nothing terrible happens. 5 stars.

I'll probably read the rest of these stories this weekend. I hope all of them are this good.

• Like 4

I enjoyed Art and Joy: Best Friends Forever by Danielle Krysa; this is a children's picture book about not letting your inner critic silence your creativity.

"This is the story of two best friends—Art and Joy—and how they overcome the insidious “Art Bully” that criticizes their creative endeavors. Danielle Krysa knows that kids have an inner critic too—the kind that tells them their artworks are stupid, messy, the wrong color, or just plain wrong.

Employing the same arch humor that make her books for adults so relatable and helpful, Krysa illustrates this uplifting tale with her brilliantly colored collages and witty typography. As Art and Joy learn how to tap into their imaginations and shrug off the Art Bully, they also discover some clever ways to get their creative juices flowing using color, shape, line and found objects."

I enjoyed the historical romance novella A Rogue Meets a Scandalous Lady by Jennifer Ashley. It can be found in Dukes for Dessert by Jennifer Ashley and others, an 800 page plus anthology that is currently 99¢ for US Kindle readers.

"David Fleming, Hart Mackenzie's right-hand man, seeks refuge with his vicar friend in Shropshire, only to find that the vicar's beautiful niece, Sophie, is seeking refuge as well. Tongues are wagging all over London about Sophie, and she finds that the only gentleman sympathetic to her plight is the reprobate David. David and Sophie match wits as they help her uncle dig up the countryside searching for a villa from Roman Britain, and David decides to use his conniving ways to fix all Sophie's problems."

I also enjoyed the contemporary romance, The Muffin Man by Kim Fielding. This has two settings: a fantasy world where a prince (who would rather be a baker) is sent to rescue a princess knowing he will die in the attempt and a pandemic era California (with masks and social distancing) where a lonely advertising specialist makes a wish for happiness. 

"Morli is a prince on a mission—but he’d rather be baking.

Baxter is a lonely production artist stuck in a pandemic lockdown.

They are literally universes apart. But with a little help from a magic shop, a raven, and a dead great-aunt who was possibly a witch, Morli and Baxter are joined together on a cross-worlds adventure. Battling killer brambles in order to rescue an enchanted princess seems simple compared to their real challenges: discovering their strengths and creating a future together."

(FIC 111, RR 59, NF 15, NS 32, GN 2, PIC 3//

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

On 12/7/2023 at 6:46 PM, Vintage81 said:

I think I forgot to mention a few books I finished last month (if these are repeats, sorry...my brain is apparently in an end-of-the-year fog 🤪)

The Simple Wild by K.A. Tucker - City girl Calla, who lives in Toronto, gets an unexpected phone called regarding her estranged father, who lives in Alaska. She decides it's time to go visit him after years of not speaking and lots of misunderstandings. When she arrives she meets a hot-shot Alaskan pilot whom she despises... they could not be more different. However, after staying in Alaska for a few weeks, she starts to really like the place, form a new bond with her dad, and get caught up in a new relationship with a hot-shot pilot she wasn't bargaining for. I enjoyed this one, and I really liked the Alaska setting. The relationship between Calla, her dad, and her mom was heartwarming. Sometimes Calla got on my nerves though. There's a sequel, so I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to continue. (4 stars)

Practice Makes Perfect by Sarah Adams - This is actually the second book is a "series" but it's not really necessary to have read the first one. I've kind of spoiled it anyway because this book has the characters from Book 1 in it. Oh well! Any who...in this book Annie lives in a small town and can't seem to find love. Fortunately, her brother is marrying a pop superstar and this superstar's bodyguard is in town for security for the wedding. He has so graciously volunteered to help Annie with some coaching on how-to-date. Of course, he also has a big crush on Annie, so that complicates things. The premise of this book was so ridiculous, but it was still fun. Nothing deep. (4 stars)  I also started reading How to Write a Great Research Paper: A Step-by-Step Handbook by Leland Graham because I need to write them often, and it's not that easy for me. I practice a lot, but still have something I need to improve, and decided to read professional literature. There is actually a deadline for such a paper this week, and I used the help of https://essays.edubirdie.com/research-proposal-writing-service because when I started writing it I understood that I wouldn't manage to finish. I need some time to do it, but I have other tasks so decided to get professional help. And by the way, if someone knows any good books on writing, I'd appreciate some advice.

I started reading Simple Wild by K.A. Tucker earlier this week, and I really like it. It's the first book by K.A. Tucker and I really like the writing style.

I also read Black and British by David Olusoga -  interesting and important book about a part of British history that has been ignored or forgotten

Edited by TerezaM
  • Like 3

On 12/16/2023 at 3:33 PM, Grace Hopper said:

Currently reading The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo, which is a neat verse novel that should go quickly. I had not heard of this genre before I met the author at a conference earlier this year.

Just put a hold on this at the library - I love stuff like this - and I notice I'm the second hold. So ... who here already put a hold on this in the SLCL system? Am I going to have to start fighting you for other recommended books that have fewer copies in the system?

• Like 2

On 12/18/2023 at 8:06 PM, Kareni said:

I enjoyed Art and Joy: Best Friends Forever by Danielle Krysa; this is a children's picture book about not letting your inner critic silence your creativity.

"This is the story of two best friends—Art and Joy—and how they overcome the insidious “Art Bully” that criticizes their creative endeavors. Danielle Krysa knows that kids have an inner critic too—the kind that tells them their artworks are stupid, messy, the wrong color, or just plain wrong.

Employing the same arch humor that make her books for adults so relatable and helpful, Krysa illustrates this uplifting tale with her brilliantly colored collages and witty typography. As Art and Joy learn how to tap into their imaginations and shrug off the Art Bully, they also discover some clever ways to get their creative juices flowing using color, shape, line and found objects."

Akin to Art & Joy, I imagine, let me recommend The Dot by Peter Reynolds. It’s a small picture book which I found delightful as an adult. 

2 hours ago, GailV said:

Just put a hold on this at the library - I love stuff like this - and I notice I'm the second hold. So ... who here already put a hold on this in the SLCL system? Am I going to have to start fighting you for other recommended books that have fewer copies in the system?

I really enjoyed this foray into a new genre. As I thought, it was a swift read but even though in verse, it is a full novel. 

Just so all know, it’s edgy. But I think that’s true of very much teen/YA literature, especially in the last decade. I will be seeking more verse novel books, I’m so intrigued by this story structure. 

I just finished Beth Moore’s All My Knotted Up Life, which I enjoyed significantly more than I expected to. For anyone interested, I highly recommend the audiobook version read by Moore herself. 

Current reads include The Kingdom, the Power, and the Glory: American Evangelicals in an Age of Extremism by Tim Alberta, and Makoto Fujimura’s Art & Faith: A Theology of Making (which I picked up earlier this year but set aside due to busyness). 

I can’t remember ever having a year with so many nonfiction titles on my completed list, a sign of the times I suppose. I will make a concerted effort to read more fun fiction in the new year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Deck the Hounds: An Andy Carpenter Mystery by David Rosenfelt. Holiday whodunit on audio so I could knit while listening. Actually, the Christmas part of this was tangential to the plot - the holiday just happened to be going on in the background. But it was still a fun book. I'm pretty sure I've read other books in this series. 

Twelve Days of Christmas: A Christmas Novel by Debbi Macomber. Holiday romance audio book. This was so bad I couldn't finish it. I stopped once, then needed something to half-listen-to while doing a tubular bind off so I tried a bit more. Yikes, it got even worse - our heroine was surprised that she had a 24 hour stomach bug because, by golly, she had gotten her flu vaccine. HELLO DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT "FLU" ACTUALLY IS?? 

All the Christmas knitting is done!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GailV said:

Deck the Hounds: An Andy Carpenter Mystery by David Rosenfelt. Holiday whodunit on audio so I could knit while listening. Actually, the Christmas part of this was tangential to the plot - the holiday just happened to be going on in the background. But it was still a fun book. I'm pretty sure I've read other books in this series. 

I read the first book in the series and loved it.  Definitely want to read more!  

I am finishing Demon Copperhead.  

• Like 3

So, for Goodreads I set my Reading Challenge this year at 75 books. I've been frantically trying to get to that number this month. Please don't ask me why it matters because I have no clue!! Ha! 🤣 As of today I am at 74 of 75, but the craziness of the holidays are about to be in full swing, so hopefully I'll make it. Anywho, here are the books I've recently finished...

The Clockwork Universe by Edward Dolnick - This was a book DD13 and I read for school. We're doing a History of Science study, so this was an interesting addition to our learning. It was mostly about Isaac Newton, but there were other scientists mentioned. (4 stars)

A Winter in New York by Josie Silver - Book of the Month sent me this book in error, but they said I could keep it, which was nice of them. The story is centered around Iris, who has recently moved to New York after getting out of a bad relationship. She was drawn to NYC because of her mother's past there. After her friend drags her to a street fair, Iris recognizes a little gelateria. The next day she goes backs and meets the handsome Gio and after speaking with him about the gelato in his shop, she decides to help him with a problem he has. This book wasn't bad, it was just meh. An easy read, but nothing super memorable. (3 stars)

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan - This was the next book in the American Literature Study DD15 and I are doing. DD is a little behind on her reading, so she hasn't finished it yet, but I enjoyed this one. Each of the stories, especially the mothers, was very moving. They each endured many hardships. The book skipped around quite a bit with each of the characters, so keeping track of everyone was the only challenging thing. (4 stars)

Betting on You by Lynn Painter - This is the fifth book I've read by this author and I really love all of her books. They are all so easy to just settle into and really like the characters and the story. This one is a YA contemporary, so it follows Bailey and Charlie, both 17 years old, both dealing with parents going through (or having gone through) divorce. They first meet on a plane trip where they had each been visiting one of their parents. After that plane ride, they keep running into each other and over the course of time build a friendship/bond and then more. This was a sweet story and I really enjoyed it. (4.5 stars)

Forget Me Not by Julie Soto - Thanks for the recommendation @Kareni. The book synopsis is up above, so I won't repeat too much. Super cute story about a wedding planner and a florist. The part about her broke down car made me laugh because that'd probably be me if I didn't have DH taking care of my car!! (4 stars)

The Seven Year Slip by Ashley Boston - I appreciate this authors attempt at mixing things up with her stories (she also wrote The Dead Romantics). However, I seem to always have an issue with time travel books. There are just too many questions/plot holes and I just haven't found one that's done it right (at least to me). Anyways, this story follows Clementine who is dealing with the death of her beloved aunt. This aunt left behind her magical apartment. When she least expects it, the apartment throws Clementine back seven years where there is a stranger living in the apartment. He just so happens to be a handsome wannabe chef. This is another meh book. I will say, the parts that dealt with the grief the main character was going through were well written. (3 stars)

• Like 3

@Vintage81, I'm glad to learn that you also enjoyed Forget Me Not by Julie Soto.

I quite enjoyed the contemporary novel Molly Molloy and the Angel of Death by Maria Vale in which a young woman meets Death and forms a relationship with him. It was both funny and poignant. I've enjoyed a number of other books by this author, but this one was quite different.

"Death needs a do-over.
Azrael---angel of death, grim reaper, destroyer of worlds--has messed up. Instead of taking Molly Molloy's soul, he patted her on the back and saved her from choking on a chicken wing.
Now this extraordinarily ordinary New York City waitress can see him. Talk to him. Touch him. Say 'no' to him. And make him question every assumption he has about what it means to live.
The Powers that Be are impatient with him to fix his mistake but before he can, Death makes one more.
He falls in love."

(FIC 112, RR 59, NF 15, NS 32, GN 2, PIC 3///)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

On 12/22/2023 at 8:21 AM, Vintage81 said:

So, for Goodreads I set my Reading Challenge this year at 75 books. I've been frantically trying to get to that number this month. Please don't ask me why it matters because I have no clue!! Ha! 🤣 As of today I am at 74 of 75, but the craziness of the holidays are about to be in full swing, so hopefully I'll make it. 

Quick update...apparently the "finished date" of one of the books I read a few weeks ago wasn't recorded in Goodreads, therefore it hadn't been counted in my total. I updated it, and I've now reached my 75 book goal! Yay! 🥳

• Like 6

I finished Titanium Noir by Nick Harkaway. This is like a sci-fi/detective mystery mashup, it was pretty good. 3 stars.

I also finished The Holdout by Graham Moore. This is a courtroom drama/mystery book. I really liked this one, lots of twists I didn't see coming. 4 stars.

I also finished another short story from that weird fiction article I posted above, The Hospice by Robert Aickman. This was really creepy from the start, my only complaint is that we never find out what's actually going on. 3.5 stars.

• Like 2

There is a huge sale of independently published science fiction and fantasy to benefit charity that is going on now. The books (hundreds of them) are all 99¢ or free. The sale ends TODAY!

You can read all about it here:

www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/18r94ge/over_700_books_free_or_099_more_than_200/?rdt=57315

This is perhaps a more useful link:

yrliu.com/megasale/2023/

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 1:44 PM, Grace Hopper said:

Current reads include The Kingdom, the Power, and the Glory: American Evangelicals in an Age of Extremism by Tim Alberta, and Makoto Fujimura’s Art & Faith: A Theology of Making (which I picked up earlier this year but set aside due to busyness). 

Quoting myself to say the Tim Alberta book was excellent. 

Currently reading How I Became Stupid, a satirical novel originally in French by author Martin Page. I picked this up at the library because it looked funny and, frankly, it’s short.  

On audiobook, a re-listen of Kaitlyn Schiess’ The Liturgy of Politics: Spiritual Formation for the Sake of Our Neighbor, which is hitting different the second time around (same content, slightly different personal context for me as I’ve read more in that topical area since the first time). 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 3