Menu

How much does is cost to get a piano tuned?

KidsHappen

If you have any experience tuning guitars, I'll nudge you to buy a piano tuning kit from Amazon & free software (Tune lab pro) . . . & DIY! 

It's like tuning 50 guitars (lots & lots of strings) but it's a straightforward process.

I start in the middle (most often used keys) and work toward the ends.

The kits are much less expensive than 10 years ago!  I paid $50, now they're about $10.

https://www.amazon.com/Tuning-Professional-Wrench-Hammer-Rubber/dp/B0BZJL31MM/ref=sr_1_7?crid=ZJ3AYYK8SGXH&keywords=piano+tuning+kit&qid=1698665397&sprefix=piano+tuning+ki%2Caps%2C211&sr=8-7

• Like 2

We bought an older upright that hadn't been tuned in who knows how long. It was $160 the first time, and $130 a year later. This is back in 2017 & 2018, so I would expect prices have increased.  We gave the piano to another family who had a daughter who wanted one. 

4 hours ago, Beth S said:

If you have any experience tuning guitars, I'll nudge you to buy a piano tuning kit from Amazon & free software (Tune lab pro) . . . & DIY! 

It's like tuning 50 guitars (lots & lots of strings) but it's a straightforward process.

I start in the middle (most often used keys) and work toward the ends.

The kits are much less expensive than 10 years ago!  I paid $50, now they're about $10.

https://www.amazon.com/Tuning-Professional-Wrench-Hammer-Rubber/dp/B0BZJL31MM/ref=sr_1_7?crid=ZJ3AYYK8SGXH&keywords=piano+tuning+kit&qid=1698665397&sprefix=piano+tuning+ki%2Caps%2C211&sr=8-7

I've done this as well, with a good professional app it takes time but isn't hard.

In our area, piano tuning if the piano is in good shape and not horribly out of tune is about $100. If the piano needs repairs or heavy adjustment it is more.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

Depends on how much work is needed. The price my piano tuner has given me to give students is $200 because he says that if it's more than that in my area, the piano isn't worth tuning-there are plenty of cheap/free pianos that would require much less work-and if it comes out less than that (a good piano that's tuned regularly takes him less than an hour to do) people are happy. 

We're in a low COL area. 

I've started recommending buying a good digital for my beginning students over getting a piano because doing virtual lessons showed me that NONE of my students on acoustics had one that had been tuned in a very, very long time-it wasn't just "it's a few months overdue because of COVID" but "you moved this piano from Grandma's five years ago and have never had it tuned". Once a student is serious enough that the parents are willing to invest in a good piano, the cost of tuning is a rounding error. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

Depends on how much work is needed. The price my piano tuner has given me to give students is $200 because he says that if it's more than that in my area, the piano isn't worth tuning-there are plenty of cheap/free pianos that would require much less work-and if it comes out less than that (a good piano that's tuned regularly takes him less than an hour to do) people are happy. 

We're in a low COL area. 

I've started recommending buying a good digital for my beginning students over getting a piano because doing virtual lessons showed me that NONE of my students on acoustics had one that had been tuned in a very, very long time-it wasn't just "it's a few months overdue because of COVID" but "you moved this piano from Grandma's five years ago and have never had it tuned". Once a student is serious enough that the parents are willing to invest in a good piano, the cost of tuning is a rounding error. 

Tuning aside, Electric pianos have gotten so good that they are often better in both action and sound than the cheap used uprights that are all most people can afford in an acoustic piano! A nice high quality grand is of course a better instrument, or something like the tall Yamaha uprights, but I got a Yamaha electric piano at a fraction of what those would cost and it's much nicer than the old spinnet we had been playing on.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Was this quote maybe for a service and not just tuning?

We have a baby grand. It costs us about $250 for tuning. 

But we've had quotes for $15-20k for certain repairs.

Maybe.  I think the person didn't want to come so quoted a high price

It is a Penola. (Don't think I have spelling right)