Menu

Too early for Christmas lights or stair garland?

Janeway

Here is my issue. I bought from Costco this year. Their prices are amazing. BUT, I know you have to buy when they have what you want. Last year, I could not get any because I did not buy quickly enough and they ran out by November maybe. I am unsure exactly when. They have been out of Halloween stuff for weeks. SO, next week, I am going to put up the outdoor lights. This is not a big deal because a lot of people put the lights up early and then just don't turn them on until November or closer to Diwali. BUT, stair garland is more noticeable and not just an issue of leaving it turned off and it won't be noticed. 

My concern is that since I bought it from Costco, that if I do not put it up now and it does not fit, they will be out of stock of everything by the time I do get it up and I won't be able to buy more or return these and get something else.  I am trying to keep everything looking fall around here and have totally decorated for fall, so what do you think? Should I go ahead and put it up now for this year to test it out? Or do the work to put it up and then just take it down and re-put it up in November? Or just go buy extra for just in case knowing I will likely have to return it later?

edited to add date for just in case : I am posting this on Monday September 25.

Edited by Janeway

2 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

If it’s greenery, can you just tuck some pumpkins in it to make it work?

That's what I was typing, but longer and way less succint.

I have some greenery garland above a door that is up year 'round; when seasons change I stick in some different floral picks or pumpkins or whatever. 

Or if that's not feasible, how much work is it to put it up, test it out, and then put it back till you are ready to decorate for Christmas?  You just have to know if it fits and the lights all work, right? 

Edited by marbel

4 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

If it’s greenery, can you just tuck some pumpkins in it to make it work?

I am considering this. Problem is though, it is a very red decorative shiny one. But I do think I could add orange and maybe even purple to it and it would look fall-ish. Thank you! Oh, I am going to try to add a link to show which one I got. It is this one..in the red. https://www.costco.com/9'-pre-lit-led-decorated-artificial-garland.product.4000174933.html

• Like 3

Yep. You do you. Do what makes you happy.

Love the garland. 

We have a cute house in our area that does Nightmare Before Christmas for Halloween and leaves it up through Christmas. It’s one of those houses that gets featured on the local news and people line up to see — really fun. It’s not the same look, but you could always laugh if anyone asks, and reference Nightmare Before Christmas. 

• Like 1

This is so funny. Last night we decided to put up our garland on our stairs early and use fall colored bows instead of the red ones and then just switch them out when we decorate for Christmas.   My family always tries to get me to decorate for Christmas in November and I don't want to because I love fall stuff.  This was our compromise. I will probably also put up one of the three trees and do the same.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

This is so funny. Last night we decided to put up our garland on our stairs early and use fall colored bows instead of the red ones and then just switch them out when we decorate for Christmas.   My family always tries to get me to decorate for Christmas in November and I don't want to because I love fall stuff.  This was our compromise. I will probably also put up one of the three trees and do the same.  

I think that's a great compromise! I love fall too and always feel it is rushed because Christmas comes earlier and earlier.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

The last couple years, I put up my fireplace garland (lots of conifer greenery) - but did fall foliage picks to add in.  Then take them out and put more christmas type picks in after Thanksgiving.

Love it! I think we are going to go this route too.  I am liking it because decorating for Christmas is a lot of work but this will spread it out a bit.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, annandatje said:

It is never too early to celebrate with pretty holiday decor.

I was visiting some aquaintences who are Filipino.  It was October?   They had Christmas decorations out.  I commented about them getting ready early oh, we're late.  Apparently in Filipino culture, Christmas decorations will easily go out in September.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I was visiting some aquaintences who are Filipino.  It was October?   They had Christmas decorations out.  I commented about them getting ready early oh, we're late.  Apparently in Filipino culture, Christmas decorations will easily go out in September.

I’ve been known to pull out some of Halloween decor in late August, so I would be right at home in Filipino community.  Fall and Christmas decor are simultaneously displayed.  If Party City sold Groundhog Day decor, I’d probably buy it.

35 minutes ago, annandatje said:

I’ve been known to pull out some of Halloween decor in late August, so I would be right at home in Filipino community.  Fall and Christmas decor are simultaneously displayed.  If Party City sold Groundhog Day decor, I’d probably buy it.

Halloween and Christmas are ver different holidays.  My friends never decorate for Halloween. 

28 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I think you can easily get away with that starting in the fall!  We have tiny lights on our patio year-round.

So do I, but apparently they aren't visible from the street. 

Eta, it's a deck and I added them for visibility as we do go out there even when it's dark. .   I have them on a smart switch.  I control them on my phon, and they are set to go on at dusk every night.  I set when they go off.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

A lot of people, my family included, have white lights up on porches, etc, year 'round. I don't think of it as a holiday thing, anymore. Some houses in my neighborhood have lights that are white all year till Christmas, then then turn the switch to colored lights.  We keep white lights on our mantle and turn them on whenever there's a dreary day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, busymama7 said:

Love it! I think we are going to go this route too.  I am liking it because decorating for Christmas is a lot of work but this will spread it out a bit.  

I knew someone who always put her Christmas tree the day after Halloween.  Her thinking was that the season is too short for that much work, so she had two full months of decorations.  I'm guessing she didn't wait until Epiphany to tear it all down.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

So do I, but apparently they aren't visible from the street. 

Eta, it's a deck and I added them for visibility as we do go out there even when it's dark. .   I have them on a smart switch.  I control them on my phon, and they are set to go on at dusk every night.  I set when they go off.

I'll bet that's pretty out on your deck!  Ours are solar powered, so they turn on once it's dark enough.  I don't have to do anything, which is kind of nice.

3 hours ago, J-rap said:

I'll bet that's pretty out on your deck!  Ours are solar powered, so they turn on once it's dark enough.  I don't have to do anything, which is kind of nice.

I like them.  We had a pavilion built a couple odd years ago, they have edison lights, they're not on a timer.  Neither are the mosquito things. . . 

My really fun - solar - is a christmas tree light by our driveway.   Wasn't quite what I was thinking, but it's fun.  came in a set of two. I only put one on, but may do the other one and make it 'twinkle' (or flash on and off.)  It has 8 settings, and stays on all night.  We'll see how it does in the winter when nights are 14 hours . . . 

fire swamp christmas tree crop 1.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/25/2023 at 3:51 PM, KungFuPanda said:

I knew someone who always put her Christmas tree the day after Halloween.  Her thinking was that the season is too short for that much work, so she had two full months of decorations.  I'm guessing she didn't wait until Epiphany to tear it all down.  

I never take down before the Epiphany. But I am generally quite anxious to get it down then so I get it all down very fast.

Edited by Janeway

On 9/25/2023 at 7:45 PM, gardenmom5 said:

Christmas decorations often go up early in the UK. The trend for decorating for Autumn is not widely followed - maybe just outdoor items for Hallowe'en - and we don't have Thanksgiving to hold back Christmas. 

I decorate for Christmas in Mid-December, a compromise between Husband's late November FOI habit and my FOI Christmas Eve custom.