Menu

Do you put cilantro in your peach salsa?

Faith-manor

I have a recipe for peach salsa and will be making it tomorrow. I have 16 red haven peaches, 4 lbs of Amish paste tomatoes, 8 jalapenos, large candy onion, and a big head of garlic plus red chillies if I want to take the heat up a notch. I have looked at several recipes and many call for cilantro. I am not against cilantro. I do use it sparingly. But, I am having a hard time imagining the flavor profile of peach and cilantro.

Thoughts?

I am pondering leaving it out, unless it is revered as truly wonderful with peaches.

Maybe try it in a small bowl that you hold out from the main bowl if mixed ingredients, to see if you like it?

I would use I love cilantro. It goes fine in my mango salsa, which has similar ingredients, plus like juice.

Agreeing that mint or basil could be good too.

What are you serving it with? Just chips or as a side to a protein? 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Maybe try it in a small bowl that you hold out from the main bowl if mixed ingredients, to see if you like it?

I would use I love cilantro. It goes fine in my mango salsa, which has similar ingredients, plus like juice.

Agreeing that mint or basil could be good too.

What are you serving it with? Just chips or as a side to a protein? 

I am going to have it as a side to tacos on Sunday night, but it is going to be a huge batch because of how many peaches I was given. So I want to can it so we can eat more throughout the winter. That makes me reluctant to put an ingredient in that I might not like since then I'll have several pints of something yucky.

• Like 1

Yes, I love peach salsa with cilantro. Especially with black beans. But I’m not a be sparing with cilantro person ever since I learned how healthy it is. It somehow flushes heavy metals out of your body. After seeing some study about that 12+ years ago I find it mire delicious than ever. 

It’s also really good mixed with mango salsa on soft shell shrimp tacos with broccoli slaw. Yum. 

I personally think cilantro elevates almost anything I make!  But I've also learned that some people do not like cilantro at all.  So if I were having people over whose taste for cilantro I didn't know, I might leave it out and have it instead in a little bowl for those who want to add it.  

There's actually a cilantro gene, so for some people cilantro tastes like soap.

I love, love cilantro! I think it would taste great in what you're making.

Okay, for one, NO.  Cilantro on peaches is an absolute abomination and ruins perfectly lovely fruit.  Why the heck would you commit such a culinary atrocity?

Two, I don't make peach salads but now I'm thinking maybe I should and you should share the recipe.  But there will be no cilantro.

ETA:  Oooohhhh.....SALSA, not salad.  I totally misread that, and okay, I can see cilantro maybe being liked by cilantro loving people in salsa, so maybe forget what I said about atrocity.  Sorry.  

Edited by Terabith
I cannot read

It sounds delicious to me, but I am a cilantro lover! Letting the flavors blend overnight would probably "soften" the effect of the cilantro. If you're planning to serve it to a group, you may want to leave it out though, because I understand some people think cilantro tastes like soap. (Or you can just send the whole batch to me! Thanks in advance! 😋)

9 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Okay, for one, NO.  Cilantro on peaches is an absolute abomination and ruins perfectly lovely fruit.  Why the heck would you commit such a culinary atrocity?

Two, I don't make peach salads but now I'm thinking maybe I should and you should share the recipe.  But there will be no cilantro.

ETA:  Oooohhhh.....SALSA, not salad.  I totally misread that, and okay, I can see cilantro maybe being liked by cilantro loving people in salsa, so maybe forget what I said about atrocity.  Sorry.  

I am one of those people who doesn't "recipe" well if I can use that word as a verb. 😂 I almost always find something I thunk is wrong. Like recipes that call for small amounts of cumin. Why bother? Cumin is marvelous but easily overwhelmed by other herbs and spices. So go big or go home! 😁

At this point what I think I am going to do is something like this:

Mark ate 2 peaches. So I have 14. I think I have 4 lbs of tomatoes. I have 9 jalapenos (another one was ready to pick after I did my evening garden walk), and 8 red chillies though I am willing to admit 8 red chillies is an awful lot of heat, so maybe 4. 1 large candy onion. 1 cup lime juice. 3 tbps cumin and then add from there as I taste. 1 large head of garlic. Salt to taste. If I think it needs balance to the heat, a little bit of honey only because I have seen Bobby Flay do this and assume it won't be a bad thing. But if turns out to be a bad decision, he is getting salty letter from me! 😆

Cilantro on the side. Pull a cup of salsa out after it has cooked a little bit, add a modest amount of cilantro, stir, heat up in a separate sauce pan, taste, and go from there. I am trying to remember if youngest son has the soap gene or not. He really wants some of this salsa if I don't bungle it. I should call him.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Now you are all making me think about adding basil. I love basil. Basil the best. Is there anything basil should not go into? 😁

Basil rocks and definitely improves any salsa.  Tho I haven't found anything basil doesn't improve.  I, too, love basil.  

I had a blueberry basil sorbet eight years ago that I dream about on the regular.