Menu

What's under your tree for ds 8 yrs old that is hard to buy for?

I wrapped presents tonight and my dd5 has more presents that ds8! It can't be that way! But, he is SO hard to buy for. He doesn't have any particular interest in toys. His time is spent outside, playing with his sister, playing pretend and being creative. You can't buy those things! :) But, he needs things to open too. He already has a bike, ripstick, and razor. He enjoys building and tools and we've already gotten him 2 building projects. He'll play legos, knex, lincoln logs, but they aren't things he spends hours doing by himself at any given time. He enjoys doing those with us. We aren't doing a game system ever so that's not an option. It would be a waste of money around here, I think. Any suggestions that I'm not thinking of already? Here's what ideas I have down: bucket of tennis balls to hit with his baseball bat, board game, coupon book from us to redeem for fun things, woodburning kit (used with supervision), clothing, shoes, rocket... I really want things that are meaningful and not just "rush" buys. Thanks... I'm running out of time!

Your ds sounds like our ds. It's amazing how little he plays with toys.

We got ds a Bible that is set up to read through in a year. The "___ begat ____..." are left out and it is chronological, too.

He's also getting a new bike and a fake muzzleloader.

Would your son like a basketball or football? What about a tennis racket and lessons? Would you consider a BB gun? Would he build a model train or plane?

If your ds is like ours, a huge box and some empty wrapping paper rolls would be a great gift! :lol:

One of mine is much easier to buy for than the others, so I understand your dilemma! How many gifts do you have for your oldest now? If it seems like a reasonable amount, given the total number of gifts that he will receive from you and other family members, I would suggest simply not giving as many to the other dc. Save some of those extra items for the next birthday or a dreary winter day when something new would perk things up for everyone.

A big box would be used well around here! Thanks for the suggestions. He has a bb gun, but my dh has mentioned a real bow and arrow, jr. sized, but I don't know. I appreciate your response. Enjoy your Christmas!

The bow and arrows would be a great gift! And there are a ton of accessories, too, if you need more gifts. :001_smile:

I actually thought about that. DD's bday is in Feb. and it makes a lot of sense to just wait. Might be an idea if the funds aren't there. Don't want to make a rush decision and spend too much.

snickerdoodle...

a pocket knife is a great idea! He has my grandfather's, but a new one would be okay too. My grandfather's could be kept as a keepsake and not actually used. Good idea.

Tools:Does he have a lot of his own tools and a toolbox already? My son is getting an electric screwdriver and he will definitely use it for a project!

Board Games:There are so many great board games for kids his age - I don't mean Monopoly or the kind of games you buy at Toys R Us - but games that are made in Germany and are really good quality and challenging. Like Ticket to Ride, The Settlers of Catan or Carcassonne. These and more (like Memoir '44) can be bought locally at Borders and Barnes & Noble bookstores.

A pocket knife, if he already doesn't have one and he can be trusted with one.

Balls of any type go really well around here (although my son is not quite 6) tennis balls, basketballs, those cheap bouncy balls they sell in racks at the store etc.

Does he have a bow and arrow set? What 8 year old wouldn't love that? ;) and can be gotten from sporting good stores/Walmart. You can get him the kind with suction cups or the kind arrows that shoot through a target but are not pointed.

Could he use a stop watch or a watch?

How about a magazine subscription? Kids Discover, Owl Kids, Boys Life. You could pick up an issue at the bookstore or print out the page from the website and stick it in his stocking.

There's always the Leapfrog Smartglobe! :lol:

EDIT: Dang, I took so long to type some of my ideas were already mentioned! People are QUICK tonight!

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

Another building idea.... My 8yo boys like Legos best, but they also enjoy building with their Kapla blocks and Quadrilla marble run. Both of those are pricey but you might be able to find them on sale somewhere this close to Christmas.

One of my boys has loved learning to play chess with Quick Chess. That was a big success last Christmas. He still gets it out at least once a week. He also likes the Fritz & Chester s/w program, but we just check it out of the library bec. I don't want to go too far down the computer game path.)

http://tinyurl.com/6ukhh6

I bought my ds11 a book on coin collecting, a few folders (to keep pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters), and a bag full of coins...he's already been collecting the state quarters, but we thought this would be a great time to introduce him to other coins.

Maybe stamps, football cards, stickers, etc...

I bought my ds11 a book on coin collecting, a few folders (to keep pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters), and a bag full of coins...he's already been collecting the state quarters, but we thought this would be a great time to introduce him to other coins.

Maybe stamps, football cards, stickers, etc...

I remember seeing the state quarter book at WM. He likes money. (who doesn't!) :) But, he likes to look at the year on the coins. Daddy was the same way. Great idea!

"DVD set of Man vs. Wild or SurvivorMan (both are outdoors/nature survival show) "

This would be good, too. He would really like this. We watched Survivorman one night a long time ago and he was really into it. I would prefer the dvd series because then you don't have to worry about commercials and all they involve, which is why we don't watch those shows very often. Is there any questionable lang. or content that I should be aware of? I don't watch these series myself too much.

Tools:Does he have a lot of his own tools and a toolbox already? My son is getting an electric screwdriver and he will definitely use it for a project!

Board Games:There are so many great board games for kids his age - I don't mean Monopoly or the kind of games you buy at Toys R Us - but games that are made in Germany and are really good quality and challenging. Like Ticket to Ride, The Settlers of Catan or Carcassonne. These an more (like Memoir '44) can be bought locally and Borders and Barnes and Noble bookstores.

A pocket knife, if he already doesn't have one and he can be trusted with one.

Balls of any type go really well around here (although my son is not quite 6) tennis balls, basketballs, those cheap bouncy balls they sell in racks at the store etc.

Does he have a bow and arrow set? What 8 year old wouldn't love that? ;) and can be gotten from sporting good stores/Walmart. You can get him the kind with suction cups or the kind arrows that shoot through a target but are not pointed.

Could he use a stop watch or a watch?

How about a magazine subscription? Kids Discover, Owl Kids, Boys Life. You could pick up an issue at the bookstore or print out the page from the website and stick it in his stocking.

There's always the Leapfrog Smartglobe! :lol:

EDIT: Dang, I took so long to type some of my ideas were already mentioned! People are QUICK tonight!

I will definitely put down the electric screwdriver. He will LOVE that! He does need a watch, so thanks for reminding me. I did get him a magazine subscription to Boy's Quest (per a recommendation on this board). I'm glad you included some game ideas. I've not heard of those. Great ideas!

I wrapped presents tonight and my dd5 has more presents that ds8! It can't be that way! But, he is SO hard to buy for. He doesn't have any particular interest in toys. His time is spent outside, playing with his sister, playing pretend and being creative. You can't buy those things! :) But, he needs things to open too. He already has a bike, ripstick, and razor. He enjoys building and tools and we've already gotten him 2 building projects. He'll play legos, knex, lincoln logs, but they aren't things he spends hours doing by himself at any given time. He enjoys doing those with us. We aren't doing a game system ever so that's not an option. It would be a waste of money around here, I think. Any suggestions that I'm not thinking of already? Here's what ideas I have down: bucket of tennis balls to hit with his baseball bat, board game, coupon book from us to redeem for fun things, woodburning kit (used with supervision), clothing, shoes, rocket... I really want things that are meaningful and not just "rush" buys. Thanks... I'm running out of time!

How about games for rainy days. Perfection, Hot Shot, Uno attack, Operation, Guess Who, Sorry, Klutz has books on making paper airplanes, coin tricks, card tricks etc., something from nerf, laser tag.

My 8 year old is getting, lego set, nerf thing, hess truck, uno attack, and a rocket.

Some things my boys are getting:

Ds9 is getting his own set of tools and a toolbox, and Klutz Battery Science. He already has the Book of Paper Airplanes and it's a big hit. He also has an Origami book he and his brothers enjoy. Ds8 is getting How to Build Pirate Ships. They have the Castle book and enjoy it. I really like the Klutz books. They give them something to do, and they encourage reading.

They are getting a Knex tub with Bricks, a Roboraptor and a digital camera.

Another idea: at the school store we got my oldest a rocket that uses baking soda and vinegar to power it. It's pretty cool, and no expensive refills to buy.

A word of warning about the RC helicopter: the boys got a Bladerunner for Christmas last year and the blades are very fragile and expensive to replace. Even with very careful use, they didn't last long.

This would be good, too. He would really like this. We watched Survivorman one night a long time ago and he was really into it. I would prefer the dvd series because then you don't have to worry about commercials and all they involve, which is why we don't watch those shows very often. Is there any questionable lang. or content that I should be aware of? I don't watch these series myself too much.

I don't think there's any language content to worry about. Questionable content? Well, if watching someone drink liquid squeezed from elephant dung bothers you, then... yes. :lol:

Really, they're fine, imo. My kids love those shows (ds 7yo & dd 10yo). We all love them, actually.

I don't think there's any language content to worry about. Questionable content? Well, if watching someone drink liquid squeezed from elephant dung bothers you, then... yes. :lol:

Really, they're fine, imo. My kids love those shows (ds 7yo & dd 10yo). We all love them, actually.

SIGH

I saw this suggestion a few posts before...

Went and looked... and thought, "Hmm, I think ds10 might like this show. I'll have to look into it."

Now reading this, I KNOW he'll like the show.... and no one else will be in the room when he's watching. :glare: lol :001_huh:

Kris

SIGH

I saw this suggestion a few posts before...

Went and looked... and thought, "Hmm, I think ds10 might like this show. I'll have to look into it."

Now reading this, I KNOW he'll like the show.... and no one else will be in the room when he's watching. :glare: lol :001_huh:

Kris

Well, to be sure you get the elephant dung one, you'll have to get the Man vs. Wild series. ;) (Hey, just trying to help, lol!) The Man vs. Wild guy travels w/ a camera crew & shows you how to survive in different situations & how to find your way to civilization again if you're lost. Usually he eats at least a few gross things per show.

SurvivorMan is a cool show too. He is dropped off by himself somewhere & he has to survive a week before they come back to pick him up. He is truly alone & films himself.

I'm guessing you can watch some snippets on the Discovery Channel website or on YouTube.

My almost 12 year old is getting a net for his Christmas birthday, a guide book for the creek, and an assortment of jars for cages. I will go and get his magnifying glass out for him and put that along with his nature sketch pad in an old backpack. He Loves being outside and could spend all day at the lake/creek.

Hope you have some good ideas.

My DS's (almost 9) big wants this year are a watch, an iPod shuffle, and a snowboard.

He's getting a few other items but these are the things he has talked about wanting the most.

Edited to add: I also agree with the pocketknife idea if you think he is responsible enough. DS loves his swiss army knife.

Edited by akmommy

For my boys, my dh always gets them rockets with real motors and they blast them together. We have also been known to get the little r/c helicopters, but they BREAK easily...even when the only person using them is dh!

My kids love crafts and I had my MIL get a big bucket of craft type supplies for them. They will love it! Especially my younger who is my crafter.

Books are always good. Does he read? My oldest loves Judy Moody (hey, whatever works, right?) and I got him one of the books for Christmas (he opened it early). It has by far been his favorite gift and he read it within the hour!

I have a boy like this! He's a little younger, but he's the child who loves people, socializing, and activities rather than "toys."

Some things we considered for him:

Prepaid "activities" like: a night of bowling, complete with snacks * a trip to the go-cart/mini golf activity center* Planetarium Show/Imax movie tickets* or other local attractions in your area. The key is that they are already paid for, and he has something like a certificate outlining the event and details to open on Christmas day (maybe include a small token item relating to the theme... so he has something to hold)

We bought him a cookbook (he does love to cook) and his very own gift card to the grocery store so he can purchase special ingredients if he wants to make something exotic.

Does he like music? How about playtheme music? You could see about finding soundtrack/nature music without vocals to accompany his favorite kind of imaginary play. Sword battle sounds for knight impersonations, spaceship sounds for Astronaut play, Horse/Rodeo sounds for Cowboy, etc. You could find free mp3's online of sound effects to download and burn onto a cd or load into an mp3 player.

. . . and he's ridiculously easy to buy for this year. However, just in case it helps, here's what is under the tree for my 10 year old:

• Sewing machine (He has been experimenting with making costumes inspired by The Ranger's Apprentice and other adventure-type books.)
  • A large-scale building kit my husband put together for him that can be used in the backyard.
  • A collector's set of Harry Potter novels (the one that comes in the psuedo trunk), with a bonus copy of the new Beedle the Bard book
  • The Lord of the Rings trilogy, nice, large-type hardcovers
  • The newest sequel to The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn, packaged with a big coffee table bargain book about samurai
  • A bunch of DVDs my husband found on sale
  • Khet (some kind of board game)
  • Roboquad (I argued against this one, which I felt was significant overkill, but my husband was adamant that there be a "toy" under the tree.)
  • A Shutterfly photo book of all his theatre and dance experiences

It's way, way too much, but that's how Christmas goes around here.

My ds10 loves his woodburning kit. He uses it a lot, with supervision, not because he'd hurt himself, but, because he'll burn into ANY wood ANYWHERE. So we've had to restrict use a little bit!

Here's what's under the tree for him:

1) Neo shifters--he loves these and they are really inexpensive

2) K'nex sets for an amusement park --roller coaster and monster ride--not the large ones, the smaller ones

3) Wall-E the movie

4) Calvin and Hobbes books

5) slippers and pj's

Prepaid "activities" like: a night of bowling, complete with snacks * a trip to the go-cart/mini golf activity center* Planetarium Show/Imax movie tickets* or other local attractions in your area. The key is that they are already paid for, and he has something like a certificate outlining the event and details to open on Christmas day (maybe include a small token item relating to the theme... so he has something to hold)

We bought him a cookbook (he does love to cook) and his very own gift card to the grocery store so he can purchase special ingredients if he wants to make something exotic.

LOVE THESE IDEAS!!!! How creative are you? I wish I would have thought of the cookbook and gift card, ds would have loved that!