Menu

Cross-country US travel suggestions

Amira

I’m driving across the US this month with ds and we’d love some suggestions of regional food specialties that we could try.  For example, ds loved pepperoni rolls when we were in West Virginia a few weeks and wants to get them again. We’re looking for ideas in Nebraska, Missouri, Kentucky, and West Virginia in particular, but Wyoming, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio would be welcome too.

Any suggestions?  Also, we want to stop at Native American sites. If you have any recommendations east of the Mississippi, we’d love to hear them.  We’re planning to visit Cahokia Mounds.

Ohio- Cincinnati chili!!!  https://www.eater.com/maps/best-chili-cincinnati

https://www.ohiohistory.org/visit/browse-historical-sites/serpent-mound/
Serpent mound is beautiful, even though the observation tower is closed it is still an amazing area

You could make a day of serpent mound, the rankin house to stop and say hi, and Cincinnati chili in the Queen city

Edited by saraha
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, rebcoola said:

Anywhere in the midwest means we are ordering Pork Tenderloin sandwiches. 

I just looked these up and I don’t think I’ve ever had breaded pork anything in the US. I’m looking forward to trying them!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, saraha said:

Serpent mound is beautiful, even though the observation tower is closed it is still an amazing area

You could make a day of serpent mound, the rankin house to stop and say hi, and Cincinnati chili in the Queen city

Ooh, these are great ideas. Thank you!

Edited by Amira

It's unlikely you'll have reason to get to this corner of Wyoming, but upon departure from Glacier NP a few weeks ago we stopped in Browning (Blackfoot land) to see the (deservedly) well rated exhibits of the Museum of the Plains Indians, then to Big Dan the Frybread Man for a very delicious if perhaps-not-quite-genuine (?) version of frybread tacos.

• Like 2

Chicago hot dogs fully loaded up. In Chicago, it's heresy to put ketchup on your hot dog. Load up your poppy seed bun with a Vienna dog with mustard, onion, relish, tomato, hot peppers, celery salt, and a pickle spear.

Also in Chicago, get deep dish pizza at Lou Malnati's or Giordano's

Enjoy an Italian beef sandwich in Chicago as well. I like mine with both sweet and hot peppers, quickly dipped.

One further Chicago specialty--Garrett's popcorn. It's more intense in flavor. Get a mixed bag of cheese popcorn and caramel corn. Trust me on this.

• Like 4

Indiana: Rise N Roll Cinnamon Caramel donuts (see locations here), sugar cream pie, egg noodles over mashed potatoes, Amish peanut butter (a concoction of peanut butter, marshmallow cream, and corn syrup, eaten on bread or rolls) 

ETA: Sweet corn

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

Cahokia Mounds is awesome! When you're in the St. Louis area, you should try toasted ravioli and gooey butter cake. Some people really like St. Louis style pizza from Imo's but it's not my favorite. Ted Drewes frozen custard is delicious. Also BBQ...my favorite is Beast Craft BBQ in Belleville, IL, which is not too far from Cahokia Mounds. 

• Like 2

Wyoming - Devil's Tower and Medicine Wheel National Historic Monument. Wind River Wild Horse Sanctuary.

Not sure how far you are going into Wyoming. If you make it as far as Cody, the Inn and pub (Irma? Can't remember the name for sure) had some of the best fried bread we have ever eaten. You really want to partake of fried bread. There will be manyr restaurants that offer this throughout South Dakota and Wyoming. I can make a recommendation for S.D., but it doesn't sound like your route will take you through there. Still, if anyone is going, the Lakota tribe operates a restaurant on their reservation that is part of Badlands National Park. It very much worth a side trip, loop drive, visitor center, and lunch or supper at the restaurant.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, saraha said:

Don't forget Graeter's Ice Cream to finish it off! Get the Black Raspberry Chip which is legendary, though my very favorite ice cream in the world in their Chocolate Chocolate Chip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

It's unlikely you'll have reason to get to this corner of Wyoming, but upon departure from Glacier NP a few weeks ago we stopped in Browning (Blackfoot land) to see the (deservedly) well rated exhibits of the Museum of the Plains Indians, then to Big Dan the Frybread Man for a very delicious if perhaps-not-quite-genuine (?) version of frybread tacos.

I think you mean Browning in northwestern Montana? It would be a bit of a drive from Wyoming but if passing through Bozeman, Montana, the Museum of the Rockies usually has Native American exhibits worth checking out as well as the dinosaurs, planetarium and other exhibits.

https://museumoftherockies.org/exhibitions/enduring-peoples

The Crow Agency is just north of Wyoming in Montana, and they will be having the Crow Fair and Rodeo in August. It’s one of the biggest powwows in the US. I don’t think it coincides with the travel dates but it would be an excellent way to experience different Native American traditions.

https://www.visitmt.com/things-to-do/events/2023/08/crow-fair-rodeo

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

I think you mean Browning in northwestern Montana? It would be a bit of a drive from Wyoming but if passing through Bozeman, Montana, the Museum of the Rockies usually has Native American exhibits worth checking out as well as the dinosaurs, planetarium and other exhibits.

https://museumoftherockies.org/exhibitions/enduring-peoples

The Crow Agency is just north of Wyoming in Montana, and they will be having the Crow Fair and Rodeo in August. It’s one of the biggest powwows in the US. I don’t think it coincides with the travel dates but it would be an excellent way to experience different Native American traditions.

https://www.visitmt.com/things-to-do/events/2023/08/crow-fair-rodeo

Oh you are absolutely right I DO mean Browning Montana, thank you.  Long (glorious) trip studded with very long drives which already have merged into a hazy blur.  NVM Amira!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Chicago hot dogs fully loaded up. In Chicago, it's heresy to put ketchup on your hot dog. Load up your poppy seed bun with a Vienna dog with mustard, onion, relish, tomato, hot peppers, celery salt, and a pickle spear.

Also in Chicago, get deep dish pizza at Lou Malnati's or Giordano's

Enjoy an Italian beef sandwich in Chicago as well. I like mine with both sweet and hot peppers, quickly dipped.

One further Chicago specialty--Garrett's popcorn. It's more intense in flavor. Get a mixed bag of cheese popcorn and caramel corn. Trust me on this.

Lou Malnati’s!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

holy canoli.  The things I learn on these boards, lol.

Haha, we eat this all winter long not a drop of Amish in my family. I bring the noodles and mashed potatoes to thanksgiving and Christmas 

2 hours ago, livetoread said:

Don't forget Graeter's Ice Cream to finish it off! Get the Black Raspberry Chip which is legendary, though my very favorite ice cream in the world in their Chocolate Chocolate Chip.

How could I have forgotten!!!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, livetoread said:

I second Graeter's Ice Cream!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Coming back to thank everyone for their great ideas.  We tried runzas, pork tenderloin sandwiches, toasted ravioli, Kansas City BBQ, and more pepperoni rolls. Plus lots of ice cream.  Ds liked runzas best, which surprised me since he's not into cabbage.  But I don't think there's much cabbage in there.  It was a good way for ds who has mostly lived overseas to learn about immigration to the US (and how big it is).

We were planning to go into Ohio to visit the Serpent Mound, but it was closed on Monday so we had to skip that and the Cincinnati chili.  We tried to visit another mound site in Kentucky, but the road was randomly closed.  Another trip, I guess, and we'll have to include Chicago on that one.

I grew up in the western US, so fry bread is normal for me, although this reminds me that I haven't made it in a while.  We tried to get a hot brown in Louisville, but we ran out of time so we decided to make it ourselves when we got home.  I'm wondering if a regional/state cooking thread/challenge would be fun?

• Like 6