Menu

What is for dinner this week?

Scarlett

Dh and I both need to lose weight.  He probably needs to lose 35 and I need to lose at least 10.  He is on board and his doctor has been suggesting a Mediterranean diet. I read quite a bit about it on the long drive home yesterday but I am having trouble coming up with a meal plan for the week.  My go to is to roast a bunch of veggies and serve with some chicken or fish…..so I can do that one day, but I need some ideas.  Also we are empty nesters now so I don’t need huge meals but if I have leftovers we eat it for lunch the next day.  I love one pot meals too.  

Any suggestions?

Well, only some of this MIGHT be what you're after (or could be modified to be), but it's one of my favorite recipe sources.  I picked these partially for myself and partially because I THINK my picky boys will eat some of them. 

Meals 5/29-6/2

https://www.budgetbytes.com/15-minute-vegetable-curry/

https://www.budgetbytes.com/chicken-nachos/

https://www.budgetbytes.com/skillet-cheeseburger-pasta/

https://www.budgetbytes.com/one-pot-teriyaki-chicken-and-rice/

• Like 2

Yesterday was burgers with grilled veggies and baked sweet potato fries.

Tonight is pork chops with sautéed chard, roasted cauliflower, and quinoa.

Wed is chx fajitas and jalapeno poppers.

Thursday is soup (not sure what kind yet) and salad. 

• Like 2

My meal plan goes from Friday to Thursday

1. Rainbow Quinoa Salad - tuesday

2. Black Bean Burgers, potato wedges - Wed

3. Pizza - eaten friday

4. Broccoli Impossible Pie - Thursday

5. Tofu Fried Rice - eaten Saturday 

6. Mac and Cheese - eaten sunday

7. Leftovers - Monday

Edited by alysee
  • Like 1

I've only gotten Monday down and a plan for Tuesday so far!
Monday - chicken tacos, rice, beans
Tuesday - salad with leftover chicken taco meat (shhh - don't tell my DH, maybe he won't notice!) using Chick-fil-A Avocado Lime Ranch dressing (assuming I can find it!)

I often do this combo thing - 'official' meal on one day with the meat leftovers used in a salad or bowl the next day. 
So, chicken shawarma one day with roasted potatoes, green veggie.  Next day is a bowl with leftover meat, quinoa or farro, diced tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, feta, taztziki sauce, maybe hummus too.  If I have some spinach or mixed greens, I'll toss them in there too. 

Friday is almost always pizza day here. But it can be a traditional pizza, or a Mediterranean pizza  (pita or naan is crust, I mix olive oil/red wine vinegar (just a little), shredded spinach, diced tomatoes, feta, sliced olives, italian seasoning, and dump that on the bread crust and bake for maybe 5 minutes. DH usually wants some added meat, so I will cut up some leftover meat thing. He doesn't seem to mind if it is chicken or brisket or whatever!

Good luck with changing your diet! I found it works better if I make slow and easy changes here.

• Like 2

Tuesdays we do take-out chicken tostadas. Friday is homemade pizza--healthier than take-out. Am I supposed to know Wednesday and Thursday too? I'm craving a large salad. Our Saturday night meals in recent months have been a Southwestern-style salad with black beans, roasted spicy sweet-potatoes, pico de gallo with avocado, lettuce, and some tortilla chips.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Tuesdays we do take-out chicken tostadas. Friday is homemade pizza--healthier than take-out. Am I supposed to know Wednesday and Thursday too? I'm craving a large salad. Our Saturday night meals in recent months have been a Southwestern-style salad with black beans, roasted spicy sweet-potatoes, pico de gallo with avocado, lettuce, and some tortilla chips.

How do you do spicy roasted sweet potato? Sounds yum.

This week is a convenience week for us.

Yesterday we had burgers, baked beans, pasta salad, pickled okra, watermelon, and brownies. We made it all for lunch and had it again for dinner.

Today is Taco Tuesday. 

Tomorrow is a family birthday so we are eating out.

Then I have an Every Plate box with 6 meals. I have already forgotten what we ordered besides chicken sandwiches and lemon chickpea bowls. 

None of this would fit your healthy eating plan except maybe the chickpea bowls, which have many iterations and we have come to love. 

• Like 1

You might like this Salade Nicoise: https://app.plantoeat.com/recipes/15552120/54004332

Sometimes we do a French-inspired bowl meal with French lentils, new potatoes, other vegetables, garlic, lemon, and thyme, and topped with sliced almonds.

Or an Italian one with roasted Brussels sprouts, onion, and bell pepper; kale lightly cooked in water with garlic and then spritzed with fresh lemon juice; cannellini or other beans with some chopped tomato and oregano; and red lentil pasta or similar. You could add zucchini or whatever else you have on hand.

I've been considering this cookbook but haven't seen it in person.

• Like 3

I'm sitting down to create our meal plan right now.

Tuesday: Ancho chili beef tacos with a slow cooked roast. Toppings: cheese, radish, avocado, mango salsa. Sweet potato rounds, black beans on the side.

Wednesday: Chicken chopped and coated with a mixture of sage, thyme, garlic, onion powder, served over a pearl couscous dish with kale, raisins, almonds and an orange vinaigrette. Green salad on the side.

Thursday: pork chops with a chow-chow and sweet potato hash.  Lightly pickled cucumber salad to go with.

Friday: lentil curry with kale and coconut milk.  Na'an on the side, though I found a recipe for vegetable fritters that I want to try and I think would go over well, bringing in another texture to the dish.

• Like 1

Probably egg sandwiches with cheese on a plain English muffin and a side of applesauce all week for me since I'm having a colonoscopy on Friday. I'm already so hungry. At least gin is clear and has no fibre? (Just kidding, sorta)

DH and DS will have to fend for themselves, so probably cereal. 🤣

• Like 1

I don't have a plan for this week except today, and it is definitely not Mediterranean or even particularly healthful. But here are some links to sites I've visited. 

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/mediterranean-diet-meal-plan/

https://www.thekitchn.com/best-mediterranean-diet-meal-plans-23009284

Another thing I like to do is get cookbooks from the library and peruse them for ideas. 

• Like 1

Tonight salad of garbanzo beans, pasta, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, green onions, feta, Greek dressing.

Tomorrow - Burrito bowls - rice, black beans, sauteed mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers, green onion, cilantro, tomato, avocado, cheese for those who want it. 

Whole wheat flatbreads with my homemade version of a creamy Indian dish. Lots of veggies, lentils, cashews and coconut milk blended up. I remember it being called korma at the Indian restaurant I sued to go to in another state, but when I look up korma recipes, they're heavy on tomatoes. The stuff I got dodnt have tomatoes. 

Vegan burgers from Whole Foods Plant Based Cooking Show on YouTube, with lettuce, avocados, tomatoes, sprouts, and wheat buns. Sweet potato fries on the side. 

Vegan Philly cheese steaks (mushrooms instead of meat) on homemade rolls, baby carrots and apples on the side. 

Then Sunday, I have no recipe but I'm going to try some sort of smoky, savory lentils and mushrooms on pasta, with roasted beets and sweet potatoes on the side. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 73349 said:

You might like this Salade Nicoise: https://app.plantoeat.com/recipes/15552120/54004332

Sometimes we do a French-inspired bowl meal with French lentils, new potatoes, other vegetables, garlic, lemon, and thyme, and topped with sliced almonds.

Or an Italian one with roasted Brussels sprouts, onion, and bell pepper; kale lightly cooked in water with garlic and then spritzed with fresh lemon juice; cannellini or other beans with some chopped tomato and oregano; and red lentil pasta or similar. You could add zucchini or whatever else you have on hand.

I've been considering this cookbook but haven't seen it in person.

I have been eying the same cookbook on line.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marbel said:

I don't have a plan for this week except today, and it is definitely not Mediterranean or even particularly healthful. But here are some links to sites I've visited. 

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/mediterranean-diet-meal-plan/

https://www.thekitchn.com/best-mediterranean-diet-meal-plans-23009284

Another thing I like to do is get cookbooks from the library and peruse them for ideas. 

These sites are good.  I saw the first link earlier today. . 

• Like 1

This week is a little different due to travel.

Today: Leftovers

Wed: Chicken Quesadillas with Taco Slaw & Black Beans

Thurs: Meatloaf with Salad

Fri-Sun: Out of Town

Mon: Order Out when get home after an 8-9 hour drive.

• Like 2

We buy salmon fillets by the bagful and throw them in the air fryer or convection oven with a little spray olive oil and Trader Joe’s everything bagel seasoning on them. You don’t even have to defrost. I’m addicted to this at the moment. I pair it with some sautéed riced cauliflower (with or without veggies) and a salad with whatever is in my fridge. I also like sautéed onions and mushrooms with fresh thyme and pepper served over a turkey burger (no roll). Chicken breasts or thighs sliced and stir fried with all kinds of veggies is another healthy go-to. 

Edited by whitestavern
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Scarlett said:

How do you do spicy roasted sweet potato? Sounds yum.

These are so good we have based many a meal off of them, usually the Southwestern Salad but sometimes a bowl with rice or quinoa. But it's a weekend meal here because it's probably 45 min of prep/cook time (30 min in the oven).

Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes

2-3 large-ish sweet potatoes, peeled and diced to about 1/2" cubes (usually fills 10"x15" cookie sheet)

Mix in small dish:
3 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs brown sugar
1/2 tsp each salt, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, and chili powder
1/4 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 425°. Place diced sweet potatoes in a bowl and toss well with spice mix. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread sweet potatoes in a single layer. Roast in oven for 15 min, then stir them around a bit. Roast another 15 min.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

These are so good we have based many a meal off of them, usually the Southwestern Salad but sometimes a bowl with rice or quinoa. But it's a weekend meal here because it's probably 45 min of prep/cook time (30 min in the oven).

Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes

2-3 large-ish sweet potatoes, peeled and diced to about 1/2" cubes (usually fills 10"x15" cookie sheet)

Mix in small dish:
3 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs brown sugar
1/2 tsp each salt, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, and chili powder
1/4 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 425°. Place diced sweet potatoes in a bowl and toss well with spice mix. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread sweet potatoes in a single layer. Roast in oven for 15 min, then stir them around a bit. Roast another 15 min.

Definitely making these.  Thanks.