Menu

Oh lets REALLY have some fun...

Aside from the sticky legal issue, which is quickly becoming irrelevant in many states...

Do you think it is morally wrong to smoke marijuana?

Aside from it's genuine medicinal purposes, yes, I do. Pot, without a doubt, does long term damage. My best friend's marriage was destroyed because her husband is addicted. This friend is the daughter of hippies, who still smoke. Just because it comes from the earth, doesn't mean it's good for your body. There are plenty of things that come from the earth and also do harm. I live in an area with a huge pot culture. It's actually in the law here that pot offenses are lowest priority for the cops. That means if 2 people are standing on the corner, one is smoking out, the other jay walks, the jay walker is legally a higher priority for a cop. It is evident that the prevalence of pot is contributing in a very negative way in this area.

And just so I don't sound self-righteous, I have smoked. I had a crazy couple of years in high school.

I truly don't see any difference in "morality" between alcohol and dope-

Funny, I do find a difference between alcohol and pot. It is possible to drink alcohol and not be affected (obviously in moderation). It is not possible to smoke pot and not get high. For me, I find that to be the dividing line. :bigear:

>>My best friend's marriage was destroyed because her husband is addicted.<<

Though that is sad, you can't base something like this on one case. That friend's marriage was destroyed because her husband was an addict, not because he was addicted to pot. It could've been alcohol or prescription narcotics. Either way, his addiction is the problem. I know this. I was married to an addict (he was addicted to alcohol, drugs and sex with everyone but his wife), and I live with someone that has an addictive personality (though he doesn't succumb to addictions). Trust me - this guy would've found something to be addicted to, even if it wasn't marijuana.

>>Funny, I do find a difference between alcohol and pot. It is possible to drink alcohol and not be affected (obviously in moderation). It is not possible to smoke pot and not get high. For me, I find that to be the dividing line.<<

For someone who smokes regularly, a hit off a joint would not have an affect on them.

I drink fairly regularly, and a glass of wine has a pretty quick affect on me. If I don't drink for months, a couple of sips of wine will make me lightheaded.

If you build up a tolerance, it takes more and more to affect you. This tolerance can build up just as easily with pot as it can with alcohol. Most of us don't use marijuana - that is why it would take very little to get us high.

Funny, I do find a difference between alcohol and pot. It is possible to drink alcohol and not be affected (obviously in moderation). It is not possible to smoke pot and not get high. For me, I find that to be the dividing line. :bigear:

Well I disagree with that completely- you are affected by alcohol no matter how much you take. Whether it makes you unfit for anything-like driving- is a matter of quantity for sure, but also a matter of your constitution, whether you ate, etc.

As for pot, there are very many different strengths- nowadays people often smoke really strong stuff (we called it skunk back in my day, don't know what names they have now) but the effect of mild, ordinary leaf to someone who smokes regularly is probably equivalent to having a drink.

One drink of alcohol affects me strongly- as does a few puffs of pot.

I think they are totally comparable in that respect. For an experienced pot smoker, one mild joint is nothing much- same as for people who drink regularly.

I think pot should be legalized for medicinal purposes. I don't think it should be widely available like alcohol.

There are plenty of Rx drugs we wouldn't want just out there on the market, but are a help to certain sick people and I think pot could fall under that category.

You know....LSD used to be legal. And alcohol used to be illegal. Not that that has anything to do with this thread....just that our society goes through cycles of deciding what should be legal and what should not.

I do not understand why pot is illegal. If it were legal it could be huge source of tax revenue for the government. Why can someone legally smoke a cigarette and drink a case of beer, but not eat a brownie with pot in it?

I morally object to breaking laws (even though I do sometimes speed, but would accept the ticket if caught). I think pot should be legalized, and then would have no moral objection to it at all.

• 2 weeks later...
>>My best friend's marriage was destroyed because her husband is addicted.<<

Though that is sad, you can't base something like this on one case. That friend's marriage was destroyed because her husband was an addict, not because he was addicted to pot. It could've been alcohol or prescription narcotics. Either way, his addiction is the problem.

I second this. I knew a workaholic. I really mean that she worked every hour she was awake because she couldn't not be earning money at any given moment. She had two full time jobs, one from 7-3, the other from 4-12. When she was at home on her lunch breaks, she stuffed envelopes. Any addiction can destroy a family.

Trouble maker, LOL.... I think it's morally wrong to do something that harms our body, which is to be treated as a temple. Now, do I do that every day when I don't eat properly? Yeah, and I'm trying to get back on track with that. Lots of us do things to ourselves that are harmful.

Some will, of course, argue that pot does NOT harm the body, so then it must not be morally wrong. I would quibble with that, I guess, having known a great many people who were clearly harmed by it in my years growing up in a backwoods area known for its great pot.

Smoking of cigarettes, cigars, pipes, etc. and drinking also can easily result in harm. But all the Mike's fans here would tar and feather me if I proposed that we ban liquor, LOL. I'm not sure how we legislate morality or force people to take care of themselves....

And while I don't know whether we should continue to add more mood altering substances to our list of legal pasttimes, people always seem to find a way to abuse even the simplest herbs, over the counter drugs, and home remedies if they really want to do that sort of thing to themselves. Remember kids sucking on cinnamon soaked toothpicks in school? Kids who loved to sniff markers?

So I'm not certain at this point in time whether making/keeping something "illegal" makes it more attractive to kids and those otherwise vulnerable to testing their limits - or whether legalizing such things would take away any mystique about them and render them less tantalizing (does that seem to be working in the areas that have legalized pot thus far?)....

I believe that pot and all other drugs destroy people's souls. The people who use it medicinally are making a trade off.

It's so visible, I wonder why people don't talk about it more. People who smoke pot regularly have a look about them. I'm not one to go around talking about auras, but with pot smokers you can't get away from it. It's hard to describe exactly, but it's a palpable feeling - the way their eyes slide off of you to scan a crowd when you talk to them. Even when they're being "caring" and "there for you" the skeleton of their wants/hunger shows through. They're always looking for the next thing.

It freaks the heck out of me, but of course it's even worse with people who are doing cocaine or other hard drugs.

I've known so many people who "just" do pot - "just the way other people have a social drink". They really don't seem to "see" what it does.

The only drug I am discussing is marijuana. It is the only one I question because it is a plant created by God. Do you suppose He had a purpose for it? Perhaps medicinal as lionfamily mentioned?

Hemp is a wonderful natural fiber that has many uses. Hemp seeds are incredibly nutritious. There are other uses for the plant that do not involve drugs.

All drugs harm the body. Prescriptions are terrible. Is it morally wrong to use those for a medical problem?

I believe that there are laws against things that I do not believe to be wrong. Generally I chose to obey these laws not because I believe them to be right but because I don't want the hassle of dealing with authorities over items of small or no consequence. On the other hand, there are some things that are against the law that I do not believe should be and that I believe in strongly enough to commit a willful act of civil disobedience to do anyhow. Some examples of this would be: some of my children were born illegally at home, school illegally at home, not immunized against state law. I do not believe that the rights of the government trumps the rights of man in these cases, nor do I believe that these things are inherently wrong therefore I can live with myself when I chose not to obey these laws.

I do not believe that marijuana is inherently or morally wrong. This is one of the laws that I obey because I don't want to risk the consequences, mostly due to having children in the home. However, once all said children are out of the home, there is a good chance that there will be some civil disobedience on this issue if it is not already legal by then.

You are way cooler than I thought, Grandma!

Do you have religious exemption for those shots?

It's easy to get.

The only state you can't get it in is Mississippi....if I'm not mistaken.

And the good thing about it - your kids will have that blue paper forever. So they never have to get them EVER........

(By the way - I say the "Grandma" half sarcastically because you are a young grandma). ;-)

The only drug I am discussing is marijuana. It is the only one I question because it is a plant created by God. Do you suppose He had a purpose for it? Perhaps medicinal as lionfamily mentioned?

I heard (from a Botanist) that the m. that was around 20 years ago was less potent than many types in circulation now.

The brain cells are much more affected by the newer stuff and it is therefore much more addicting.

Several things grow as plants and some are outright poisonous and would kill us if we ate it. God must have a reason for creating them but probably not so we can eat / smoke it. :lol:

Am I missing something?

I understand it takes a week for the body to get it out of the system...so these "weekend users" are on MY highway driving around still under some influence of the drug all week long. (I suppose I should go on line and find proof of this. Don't recall which health book we read this in.)

I understand that it also stagnates the maturation of the brain, so many of those teens never really grow up and WE have to LIVE with them--and it costs us money--police, medical, welfare. How many times have I met an adult who just can't see the world as an adult and I wonder...

Ugh. Don't even want to go there.

Jean

You are way cooler than I thought, Grandma!

Do you have religious exemption for those shots?

It's easy to get.

The only state you can't get it in is Mississippi....if I'm not mistaken.

And the good thing about it - your kids will have that blue paper forever. So they never have to get them EVER........

(By the way - I say the "Grandma" half sarcastically because you are a young grandma). ;-)

Yes, we currently have a religious exemption, and we have lived in a few states where we could also do philosophical but we have also lived in states that at the time did not allow either. I have homeschooled for a long time and way back when, it wasn't legal in every state. Two of my children were born at home where it wasn't quite illegal but midwives were. One was almost born in a state where it was totally illegal but I had to transfer at the last minute. That midwife was arrested and jail for a significant amount of time. I am quite proud to be a grandma even though I am a little young. I worked hard for it though and have the gray hairs to prove it. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by KidsHappen