Menu

Since I'm already asking weird food questions

Drama Llama

Just now, Faith-manor said:

My husband would absolutely do it! 😂

I have a little cooking butane torch for browning meringue. Something like that could be used to do this and be quite safe.

Yes, I am thinking of the creme brulee torch.  He would probably prefer a WWII flamethrower, but my landlord might not. 

• Haha 5

20 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

You can.  The trick it to warm the naan before otherwise, you get hot/cold spots.  If the stove is allowed, you can warm the naan in a frying pan.  If not, a warm towel from the dryer warms it nicely.  

This. A toaster is another good alternative.

I am enthusiastic about using a flamethrower to make pizza. If worse comes to worse he can heat the naan with the flamethrower in a cast iron pan, then slam on the toppings and heat some more.

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Band, my husband has a flame thrower for weeds and frankly I have had to actually say, "We are not cooking food with that." 😂😂😂

Nothing puts a nice char on a sous vide steak or chop or fish fillet like a flamethrower (aka "weed burner").

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Band, my husband has a flame thrower for weeds and frankly I have had to actually say, "We are not cooking food with that." 😂😂😂

Seriously though, how is this safe?  What am I missing?  Do you live with Shrek in the swamp or something?  

1 hour ago, BandH said:

Seriously though, how is this safe?  What am I missing?  Do you live with Shrek in the swamp or something?  

We soak the ground heavily at the base of the weeds (not near trees, this is an area near our stone fence that has an invasive plant that keeps coming underneath that wrecks havoc - an invasive to the state plant) so that the roots are actively up taking water as soon as they come out of dormancy so sometimes it is done immediately following the spring thaw. Quick burst of flame thrower causes the mud to get very hot which causes significant injury to the roots. We do it because we are not willing to spray Round Up. It keeps it under control. The farmers burn the ditches, but that is a bit dicey. More than once the fire department had had to be called for grass fires because the farmers do not have a water source to stop the spread. We only have a small patch, and I stand out there with our 125 ft hose so nothing can escape. But because the ground is so wet, it has never been a problem, and there isn't any dry tinder around because it is before anything is really growing and established.

These things are common in farming/agricultural communities, controlled burns. Ours isn't even classified as a controlled burn since it is so small. We don't need a permit as long as we follow the burn rules.

• Like 3

We don't use our flame thrower when it's really dry, but otherwise we do and haven't started any fires. Dh wears his boots and steps on anything that starts to catch, and I have the hose ready to go if needed (never has been). You just need to blast the weed until it starts to shrivel - it doesn't have to catch fire or burn black or anything. 

• Like 2

Just now, KungFuPanda said:

Does your stovetop work? I’d use a dutch oven to get everything hot and then maybe just torch it a little to make the cheese golden. 

The issue isn't that my oven doesn't work, it's that our friend who keeps kosher is coming over, and none of my appliances are kosher.  

I decided that going to the store to buy new pizza ingredients, since the ones I have have been de-koshered (that's a word I made up just now) would take too much time and the no bake icebox pie DS was planning wouldn't make it in the fridge in time for soccer.  So, I will pick up pizza from the kosher pizzeria.  Maybe I will let DS warm it up.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Wear ear protection if you bring out the flame thrower. Ours is loud! 😁🫣

Mine has a handle, like a bike brake. When it is not pulled the flame thrower makes some noise. 

But when I pull it with the value fully open, I experience a visceral (and loud) "rush" of power that I hate to admit thrills me just a little

Bill (who is now feeling a little bit guilty)

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, BandH said:

The issue isn't that my oven doesn't work, it's that our friend who keeps kosher is coming over, and none of my appliances are kosher.  

I decided that going to the store to buy new pizza ingredients, since the ones I have have been de-koshered (that's a word I made up just now) would take too much time and the no bake icebox pie DS was planning wouldn't make it in the fridge in time for soccer.  So, I will pick up pizza from the kosher pizzeria.  Maybe I will let DS warm it up.  

I think one can do a heck of a lot of "kashering" with a flamethrower. Just don't burn your domicile down in the process.

And consult your local rabbinical authority :tongue:

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I think one can do a heck of a lot of "kashering" with a flamethrower. Just don't burn your domicile down in the process.

And consult your local rabbinical authority :tongue:

Bill

I am pretty sure that aiming a flame thrower at non-kosher pizza sauce does not turn it into kosher pizza sauce.  Or at least not kosher pizza sauce one still wants to eat.  

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, BandH said:

I am pretty sure that aiming a flame thrower at non-kosher pizza sauce does not turn it into kosher pizza sauce.  Or at least not kosher pizza sauce one still wants to eat.  

No, obviously not.

But to "kasher" cooking implements, using high heat or things like boiling water is typically part of the process of turning formerly non-kosher appliances and utensils into ones that can be used to prepare kosher foods.

That's what I was getting at.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Faith-manor said:

He is on board. Pizzas in space. He would do it! 😂😂😂

I'm going to hold Mark to it.

Does he use any exotic (or liquid) fuels in his rockets?

The last rocket I set off a rocket was in Junior High, where I used to launch my solid fueled Estes "Big Bertha" with the Rocket Club (which was the same membership as the Chess Club, just under a different name) off the back quad at school. 

I'm sure that will impress Mark. LOL

Bill 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I'm going to hold Mark to it.

Does he use any exotic (or liquid) fuels in his rockets?

The last rocket I set off a rocket was in Junior High, where I used to launch my solid fueled Estes "Big Bertha" with the Rocket Club (which was the same membership as the Chess Club, just under a different name) off the back quad at school. 

I'm sure that will impress Mark. LOL

Bill 

Okay, I am going to tell you an incident from, "Mark's Rocketry Chronicles".

Setting, kitchen of our small house in mid-Michigan about 20 years ago. I left the house to grocery shop leaving rocket man in charge of his young offspring, ages 2, 4, 5, and 10. I came home to find the most disgusting, rotten egg smell emanating from the kitchen, and the 10 year old asking rocket man if they could have the windows open in the dead of winter. Entering the back door of the home, arms laden with groceries, I proceeded through the mud room into the kitchen, gagging the whole way, to find Mark stirring something in my electric skillet. Unsure what human food he could possibly be cooking that would produce such a vile cloud of olfactory offense, I asked him what the heck he was doing to which he responded, " Cooking rocket fuel." It was sulfur rocket candy: sulfur, potassium nitrate, and sugar.

Marshalling my most mature, wifey energy, I evicted him from the home. He took up residence WITH THE ELECTRIC SKILLET and a 50 ft extension cord in the driveway. At this point, having put the children to bed, I went out to check on the mad scientist only to find that the neighbors were outside recoiling in horror from the smell having let their cocker spaniel out for his 10 pm wee on the lawn. Finally, one of them gained the courage to approach and ask what Mark was doing hunched over an electric skillet in the dark and bitter cold madly stirring. "Making rocket fuel." To which, the even larger group of extended neighbors who had assembled began gingerly backing away from the property.

I spent 48 hrs waiting for Homeland Security to show up and confiscate my husband and skillet. But they never came. Odd looks from the neighbors followed Mark for the remaining 5 years until we moved. The skillet, after about three of these exploits, corroded rather badly and he had to get another one for his adventures.

Since then, he has altered his recipe to remove the sulfur, and for several years any students 7th-12th grade who signed up for our 32 week 4H engineering class, made rocket fuel as part of our unit on chemical engineering, packed their motors, remote burned them from a vise with a remote ignition rocket motor igniter run on a car battery. He always had the fun stuff. I did all the research and taught the lecture portion of the class, graded their notes, and lab reports. He lead the labs. Mr. Disneyland 4H leader while I ended up being Professor McGonagle.

This same man, when we taught environmental science, brewed alternative fuel "ethanol" in the fellowship hall of a church allowing our group of 35 to meet in their facility. On Saturday night. The church reeked like a beer hall on Sunday morning.

My life is NOT dull with him, and I wouldn't have it any other way even if occasionally his exploits bug me.

He isn't the only rocketeer in the house. I was the educator for NASA Student Launch and successfully put brought my team through that program with Mark at my side. I then mentored them through Battle of thre Rockets entering my high school gram in the college level challenge and they came 2nd in the nation, beat out by 2 pts by Rensessaleur PolyTech, beating out U.V.A.  I am HPR Level 1 certified, and building my Level 2 rocket for cert launch in the fall. We will then be the same level, and while he is going to pursue his level 3, I may not. It is about $1000 to pursue it, and it isn't necessary for both of us to attain that. I actually have a stronger aerospace engineering background than he does now that I have made it through my introductory aerospace engineering college classes. He comes to me to find out the best options for reinforcement of booster section walls, and a lot of the materials science. 😁

Currently, rocket man and I are working with a university team. Our 4H program was gutted during 2021 by a change in leadership who was not interested in supporting any non-agricultural 4H programs. So on to university mentoring.

There are OTHER tales to tell. 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

Okay, I am going to tell you an incident from, "Mark's Rocketry Chronicles".

Setting, kitchen of our small house in mid-Michigan about 20 years ago. I left the house to grocery shop leaving rocket man in charge of his young offspring, ages 2, 4, 5, and 10. I came home to find the most disgusting, rotten egg smell emanating from the kitchen, and the 10 year old asking rocket man if they could have the windows open in the dead of winter. Entering the back door of the home, arms laden with groceries, I proceeded through the mud room into the kitchen, gagging the whole way, to find Mark stirring something in my electric skillet. Unsure what human food he could possibly be cooking that would produce such a vile cloud of olfactory offense, I asked him what the heck he was doing to which he responded, " Cooking rocket fuel." It was sulfur rocket candy: sulfur, potassium nitrate, and sugar.

Marshalling my most mature, wifey energy, I evicted him from the home. He took up residence WITH THE ELECTRIC SKILLET and a 50 ft extension cord in the driveway. At this point, having put the children to bed, I went out to check on the mad scientist only to find that the neighbors were outside recoiling in horror from the smell having let their cocker spaniel out for his 10 pm wee on the lawn. Finally, one of them gained the courage to approach and ask what Mark was doing hunched over an electric skillet in the dark and bitter cold madly stirring. "Making rocket fuel." To which, the even larger group of extended neighbors who had assembled began gingerly backing away from the property.

I spent 48 hrs waiting for Homeland Security to show up and confiscate my husband and skillet. But they never came. Odd looks from the neighbors followed Mark for the remaining 5 years until we moved. The skillet, after about three of these exploits, corroded rather badly and he had to get another one for his adventures.

Since then, he has altered his recipe to remove the sulfur, and for several years any students 7th-12th grade who signed up for our 32 week 4H engineering class, made rocket fuel as part of our unit on chemical engineering, packed their motors, remote burned them from a vise with a remote ignition rocket motor igniter run on a car battery. He always had the fun stuff. I did all the research and taught the lecture portion of the class, graded their notes, and lab reports. He lead the labs. Mr. Disneyland 4H leader while I ended up being Professor McGonagle.

This same man, when we taught environmental science, brewed alternative fuel "ethanol" in the fellowship hall of a church allowing our group of 35 to meet in their facility. On Saturday night. The church reeked like a beer hall on Sunday morning.

My life is NOT dull with him, and I wouldn't have it any other way even if occasionally his exploits bug me.

He isn't the only rocketeer in the house. I was the educator for NASA Student Launch and successfully put brought my team through that program with Mark at my side. I then mentored them through Battle of thre Rockets entering my high school gram in the college level challenge and they came 2nd in the nation, beat out by 2 pts by Rensessaleur PolyTech, beating out U.V.A.  I am HPR Level 1 certified, and building my Level 2 rocket for cert launch in the fall. We will then be the same level, and while he is going to pursue his level 3, I may not. It is about $1000 to pursue it, and it isn't necessary for both of us to attain that. I actually have a stronger aerospace engineering background than he does now that I have made it through my introductory aerospace engineering college classes. He comes to me to find out the best options for reinforcement of booster section walls, and a lot of the materials science. 😁

Currently, rocket man and I are working with a university team. Our 4H program was gutted during 2021 by a change in leadership who was not interested in supporting any non-agricultural 4H programs. So on to university mentoring.

There are OTHER tales to tell. 😂

Oh, we would get along famously.

When I was a kid (say 10 years old) I had a slightly older neighbor boy who had an old shed that we called the "laboratory," where we cooked up our own pyrotechnics (and I still remember the formulas).

One of them was very similar to this "rocket fuel" mix, but we used it to make smoke b*mbs. Gently cooking sugar with either sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate will cause it to melt into an almost plastic-like substance. We'd cook it in a tin can, constantly stilling with a stick, and then when it was still molten--but off the fire--we'd throw in some wooden match heads (of the sort that are no longer available thanks to the "nanny state" and the actions of juvenile delinquents. LOL) for a little extra combustion assurance.

My recollection was that there is a very delicate balance when cooking the mix, as it need to melt, but if it gets too hot it combusts prematurely. Sure throws a lot of smoke. And (without the sulfur) that smoke smells pretty nice. Almost desert-like.

Our best concoction was a special mix that we devised (and tested) for making M*lotov cocktails. When Putin's forces invaded Ukraine and it looked like people in Kiev (and elsewhere) might be relying on primitive defenses, I share my recipe with a guy in Kiev. Not much later, the UKR formula started showing up online. I was impressed that they included some (but not all) of our formula. Not that it came from me.

You should have seen some of the "rocket launches" we set off in the concrete lined LA River--which is affectionately known as "the wash." If you've seen the Terminator motorcycle chase, that's the wash. One can make tremendous "rocket launches" in the wash w/o fear of anything (other than us) burning.

I wonder if the statute of limitations has run out?  :tongue:

We could have such fun.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Oh, we would get along famously.

When I was a kid (say 10 years old) I had a slightly older neighbor boy who had an old shed that we called the "laboratory," where we cooked up our own pyrotechnics (and I still remember the formulas).

One of them was very similar to this "rocket fuel" mix, but we used it to make smoke b*mbs. Gently cooking sugar with either sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate will cause it to melt into an almost plastic-like substance. We'd cook it in a tin can, constantly stilling with a stick, and then when it was still molten--but off the fire--we'd throw in some wooden match heads (of the sort that are no longer available thanks to the "nanny state" and the actions of juvenile delinquents. LOL) for a little extra combustion assurance.

My recollection was that there is a very delicate balance when cooking the mix, as it need to melt, but if it gets too hot it combusts prematurely. Sure throws a lot of smoke. And (without the sulfur) that smoke smells pretty nice. Almost desert-like.

Our best concoction was a special mix that we devised (and tested) for making M*lotov cocktails. When Putin's forces invaded Ukraine and it looked like people in Kiev (and elsewhere) might be relying on primitive defenses, I share my recipe with a guy in Kiev. Not much later, the UKR formula started showing up online. I was impressed that they included some (but not all) of our formula. Not that it came from me.

You should have seen some of the "rocket launches" we set off in the concrete lined LA River--which is affectionately known as "the wash." If you've seen the Terminator motorcycle chase, that's the wash. One can make tremendous "rocket launches" in the wash w/o fear of anything (other than us) burning.

I wonder if the statute of limitations has run out?  :tongue:

We could have such fun.

Bill

Totally awesome Bill!

• Like 2

On 3/14/2023 at 5:07 PM, BandH said:

I KNEW THAT'S WHAT YOU WERE GOING TO SAY!!

Always the darn kosher person! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

I KNEW THAT'S WHAT YOU WERE GOING TO SAY!!

Always the darn kosher person! 

In addition to my kosher person being an awesome person who is worth every minute of effort, I've actually really enjoyed getting to know more about kosher food, and problem solving kosher food.  

• Thanks 3